Spiral Dragon

Rhaegar's Jewels

UGH! I hate to bring this up, again, but I paid for these coins in June and I'm still waiting and now SoCalGeocoins isn't even responding to my emails when I ask for an update. Anyone know anything about these coins? Or how to actually get in touch with SoCalGeocoins?

Hopefully you paid through Paypal and just file a claim. If they can't prove the product was shipped, paypal will take the money right out of their account.

As for SoCal, they were given a hard time about their selling techniques a little while back. I am sure a number of people decided to stop buying from them and it has hurt their business. I haven't seen much posted by them in that time.

good Luck. :laughing:

UGH! I hate to bring this up, again, but I paid for these coins in June and I'm still waiting and now SoCalGeocoins isn't even responding to my emails when I ask for an update. Anyone know anything about these coins? Or how to actually get in touch with SoCalGeocoins?

I think you have 90 days to file a claim with Paypal, so if you paid for the coins in June you might be out of luck. :laughing:

I emailed SoCalGeocoins last Friday and hadn't heard anything, so today in addition to posting here - I emailed again and filed a claim with PayPal and so I got an answer...

When I emailed in August I got an email back saying there was a problem at the mint and the coins were expected in at the beginning of September and this time there was a "hold up" at the mint and they are expected within the next two weeks. :laughing:

I'm disappointed but I said that I expect the coins in hand or my money back by the end of this month. I don't know what else to do. Frankly what I find the most frustrating is that I have to email them constantly and ask what's going on - shouldn't the vendor update the customers? I guess I'm really just ranting at this point, but somehow I suspect there are others here who feel my pain.

Thanks for listening/reading! :yikes:

"I'm disappointed but I said that I expect the coins in hand or my money back by the end of this month. I don't know what else to do. Frankly what I find the most frustrating is that I have to email them constantly and ask what's going on - shouldn't the vendor update the customers? I guess I'm really just ranting at this point, but somehow I suspect there are others here who feel my pain."

Yes, you'd think that the vendor would keep us up to date :laughing:

I've bought a few coins from different sources on a pre-sale. One of the coins was late and I too, had to e-mail the person to find out the coin was held up at the mint. You only have so much control over coin production. I've heard of Many coins being delayed because of the mint or customs.

I guess what amazes me is how one person makes a coin and sells it here via presale, their coin is late, they are slow to notify people but the backlash is either nonexistant or slight while another person has the same issue and is persecuted here in the forums??

Just an outsider looking in. I'm not a part of any cliques nor do I want to be.

Mandy

I've bought a few coins from different sources on a pre-sale. One of the coins was late and I too, had to e-mail the person to find out the coin was held up at the mint. You only have so much control over coin production. I've heard of Many coins being delayed because of the mint or customs.

I guess what amazes me is how one person makes a coin and sells it here via presale, their coin is late, they are slow to notify people but the backlash is either nonexistant or slight while another person has the same issue and is persecuted here in the forums??

Just an outsider looking in. I'm not a part of any cliques nor do I want to be.

Mandy

Part of the difference could be pre-sales -vs- reservations. Pre-Sales is taking money up front. I think people get more upset when these type of transaction go wrong. For reservations, no one is out any money usually until the coins are in hand. big difference if reservation coins get pushed out, then pre-sales coins.

the other big difference is communcation. I had the 2007 colorado coin get pushed out and I had done pre-sales on that coin. I posted in the form as well as sent emails keeping all informed. not difficult and no matter who you are, it works. Unless of course it is a consistant practice.

Hope you do get your coins!

I got the coin, late but still it was the coin I had ordered and paid for ahead of time. I did not feel it was necesary to flog the seller in the forums. If he/she had the coin in hand they would have mailed it out.

I ordered the presale Colorado set from you. At that point in time I did not frequent the forums near as much as I do now so I did not know the coin was late until I e-mailed you and you responded back. Not a big deal. It happens.

If you buy coins then you have to be aware that they are not always on time production or shipment wise. Unless the coin has been shipped and an excessive amount of time has passed, I tend to not get too worked up about it.

You buy a coin presale, then accept the risk involved in how long it may take to get it.

The seller should send out a notification when set backs occur to EVERY CUSTOMER THAT HAS PAID. Not just post in the forums or e-mail the ones that you know personally.

If you buy coins then you have to be aware that they are not always on time production or shipment wise. Unless the coin has been shipped and an excessive amount of time has passed, I tend to not get too worked up about it.

You buy a coin presale, then accept the risk involved in how long it may take to get it.

Well, it's been four months from when I prepaid which seems excessive to me. I guess I've been spoiled - I ordered a set of Dragonflies and there were problems at the mint because of the resin wings but there were all kinds of email updates to keep me, well, updated.

I guess I expect people who are operating a business to conduct themselves in a professional manner - if you made a purchase from Amazon.Com or Circuit City and the product didn't show up for FOUR MONTHS and no one would even do you the courtesy of telling you when they were expected - would that be okay?

I guess the other question would have to be - what's your definition of "too worked up about it"? I've brought this to the forum twice with two months between the original post and then today, desperately looking for answers or to share information with anyone else who is waiting on these coins because while the money is not going to break my I certainly can't afford to throw money away either.

Edited by Rhaegar's Jewels

You are not dealing with a corporation but a private vendor, this makes a huge difference.

Too worked up: I might not buy again from that vendor, dependent upon the final outcome, but I certainly wouldn't chime in to tell another person having a problem how I had a negative experience and therefore they should expect one too.

Four months is definately excessive. I'm usre you are not the only one who bought this coin nor are you the only one to probably e-mail.

This still does not address the issue which I have a problem with. Your comments were valid as a purchaser. The flogging that seems to go on here to certain people is not. Definately not when you do the comparisons.

You are not dealing with a corporation but a private vendor, this makes a huge difference.

Too worked up: I might not buy again from that vendor, dependent upon the final outcome, but I certainly wouldn't chime in to tell another person having a problem how I had a negative experience and therefore they should expect one too.

Four months is definately excessive. I'm usre you are not the only one who bought this coin nor are you the only one to probably e-mail.

This still does not address the issue which I have a problem with. Your comments were valid as a purchaser. The flogging that seems to go on here to certain people is not. Definately not when you do the comparisons.

In this thread, can you show me the flogging you are talking about? I just don't see it. A few warnings and someone watching the thread with popcorn but no flogging. I have seen SoCal flogged but not in this thread.

They got flogged for exactly what is happengin now. They come in and sell coins but don't participate in the community. A number of people (an I'm saying I am in that group) would like to see people who sell coins participate in the community, not just try and make a buck off of it. Especially the small designers and coin makers doing this as something on the side.

Back to the question, where are they being flogged in this thread?

I'd love to flog them, but it would fall on deaf ears. I can't stress enough RESEARCH your vendors before you do business with them. Not buying coins from someone speaks volumes, even on Ebay. Remember the names and their associated Ebay IDs that do you wrong, and tread lightly (or not at all) in the future. Particular vendors might just keep on sellin', but if no ones buyin . . . . :sad:

To the OP, I sure hope you get your money back, and you can move on to better sales. :grin:

In this thread, can you show me the flogging you are talking about? I just don't see it. A few warnings and someone watching the thread with popcorn but no flogging. I have seen SoCal flogged but not in this thread.

They got flogged for exactly what is happengin now. They come in and sell coins but don't participate in the community. A number of people (an I'm saying I am in that group) would like to see people who sell coins participate in the community, not just try and make a buck off of it. Especially the small designers and coin makers doing this as something on the side.

Back to the question, where are they being flogged in this thread?

I made the observation that SOME people get flogged in the FORUMs for the same practices others are guilty of and are not subject to the same treatment.

So, back to that OBSERVATION.

A number of people (an I'm saying I am in that group) would like to see people who sell coins participate in the community, not just try and make a buck off of it. Especially the small designers and coin makers doing this as something on the side.

Right on brother! :sad:

When you say participating in the community, what exactly do you mean? Posting on the forums? Finding caches? Placing caches? Buying other peoples coins? Define, please.

My thoughts too. I can only guess they mean they do not hold cointests and stuff..?

I hadn't thought about that angle! So if a small company began to make geocoins and gave away one or two here in the forums, would they be considered "active" in the community? What if the owner wasn't even a geocacher but merely a savy entrepreneur looking to make a profit?

When you say participating in the community, what exactly do you mean? Posting on the forums? Finding caches? Placing caches? Buying other peoples coins? Define, please.

In the coin community and forum.

Still don't see any flooging in this thread.

Post #19

Never said it was in this thread. This was an overall observation of the forums in the past few months.

Are you asking to be flogged? :sad:

In the coin community and forum.

Still don't see any flooging in this thread.

Does being a member suffice? OR are you talking about posting to various threads? Coin Community? Is there some sort of secret society?

I look at geocoins as another facet of Geocaching. Like Travel bugs.

I hadn't thought about that angle! So if a small company began to make geocoins and gave away one or two here in the forums, would they be considered "active" in the community? What if the owner wasn't even a geocacher but merely a savy entrepreneur looking to make a profit?

There is currently one person I can think of that is NOT a geocacher, and strictly buys gc.com tracking codes, and makes geocoins for $20-$40 each. That to me would fit your definition of "savy entrepeneur", but I have a different word for it. Unfortunately, that word would show up as ************** in here :sad:

I would recommend one thing though. We've been hijacking this poor thread from someone who is actually in crisis, discussing forum etiquette. Might we open another thread on it, and let the OP wallow in their poor choice of vendors? ;)

Several threads ago I saw a couple of Mods actual threaten to close that thread because they got away from discussing coins and trading coins. Now I see this is going much the same way that thread went.

If you have issue with others including venders, then perhaps this would be better suited to be taken below the line, or discussed in private, so the rest of us do not have to read your specific likes dislikes.

Not everyone can be in the top 10 traders or venders, but I suppose trying something gives the right to at least have the same right everyone else here deserves. Not to be bashed in public.

And thats my rant for the day.

Bye for now, Happy trails.

Several threads ago I saw a couple of Mods actual threaten to close that thread because they got away from discussing coins and trading coins. Now I see this is going much the same way that thread went.

If you have issue with others including venders, then perhaps this would be better suited to be taken below the line, or discussed in private, so the rest of us do not have to read your specific likes dislikes.

Not everyone can be in the top 10 traders or venders, but I suppose trying something gives the right to at least have the same right everyone else here deserves. Not to be bashed in public.

And thats my rant for the day.

Bye for now, Happy trails.

I'm pretty new here, but I'm not sure that you can separate coins from vendors. Those of us who are not active traders (or who are still building up our collections to become traders) have to go to vendors to get our coins - barring, of course, eBay. Yes? So it's a pretty tall order to demand that we only discuss coins and not discuss the vendors, especially when the vendors are free to come in here and advertise (as well as defend themselves, if the charges are entirely unwarranted).

I for one appreciate these kinds of threads. They help give me more data points. And I am perfectly able to look into a company and read the WHOLE thread about a company and decide whether I think the complaint is an overreaction or an attempt to be spiteful, so don't worry about someone losing my business because of something posted here (not that you are, of course). But I /do/ want to know if someone has ordered coins from a vendor and has gotten nothing, /especially/ no response to emails, for upwards of 5 months...

Well, I am really, really, new here. I 'm a geocacher and since i found my first geocoin i decided i should have my own collection.

I start reading here, buying on a few places, and it would be quite nice to have more of this discussions on the forum. I had quite luck i'd found really good sellers, you probably know who they are, but i would like to being able to tell here what i think of them. That could be interesting for new collectors.

With this thread i defenitivly delete one seller from my list. There are lots of good sellers, even individuals, where we can find good coins and the experiences (bad ones either) of other geocachers are of great interest to the community

PL

ps. why can we start doing a rating system for coin sellers.

Well, I am really, really, new here. I 'm a geocacher and since i found my first geocoin i decided i should have my own collection.

I start reading here, buying on a few places, and it would be quite nice to have more of this discussions on the forum. I had quite luck i'd found really good sellers, you probably know who they are, but i would like to being able to tell here what i think of them. That could be interesting for new collectors.

With this thread i defenitivly delete one seller from my list. There are lots of good sellers, even individuals, where we can find good coins and the experiences (bad ones either) of other geocachers are of great interest to the community

PL

LOL - I'd rather do one for traders, but that would never be allowed! :laughing:

PL

LOL - I'd rather do one for traders, but that would never be allowed! :rolleyes:

Ebay does it...but you would need one system that everyone uses for it to be functional.

There is currently one person I can think of that is NOT a geocacher, and strictly buys gc.com tracking codes, and makes geocoins for $20-$40 each. That to me would fit your definition of "savy entrepeneur"

Sounds like a good business plan, buy low sell high!

Unfortunately, bad clip art and zinc coins don't cut it for me.

Y'know, I REALLY wish I had seen this forum topic BEFORE I pre-ordered the entire set of 5 Spiral Dragon coins in each of 3 finishes from these people. This was back in Jan of this year. I've emailed several times and was always told that the coins should be shipped any time now. I've since requested a refund through paypal, but they aren't even answering those. Can I file a dispute with Paypal within 45 days of requesting a refund payment?

Y'know, I REALLY wish I had seen this forum topic BEFORE I pre-ordered the entire set of 5 Spiral Dragon coins in each of 3 finishes from these people. This was back in Jan of this year. I've emailed several times and was always told that the coins should be shipped any time now. I've since requested a refund through paypal, but they aren't even answering those. Can I file a dispute with Paypal within 45 days of requesting a refund payment?

Or even purchasing the "Crystal Dragon Geocoin" and not getting them ;)

I use this criteria before I buy a coin on that is a pre-sale:

1. Does the person or company selling have a good track record for pre-sales?

2. Is there a sample of the coin? If you are going to do a pre-sale, at least invest the money to get the die made first. I will generally make an exception if it is a geocaching organization doing the selling.

3. Do they give a delivery date for the coins? I see several companies, including this one, pre-sell coins, but never tell you when to expect them. You should know this if you are selling a coin.

Someone recently said that they were going to start filing a paypal complaint at day 44. This is an excellent idea. When done properly, coins do not take 45 days to mint.

I have yet to be burned buying coins. I have not ordered a single coin that I have not received.