Missing Geocache entry

tapone

I found a geocache in a park and it does not seem to be listed anymore. I only download caches from here, so it must have been available sometime. Is there a way to see if it was archived?

Co-ords are 44.36.558, 88.45.418.

I think it was called catch it if you can???

Since you are a Premium Member, you can use the Geocaching maps to see Archived caches. Go to the cache page of a nearby cache, then click on the Geocaching.com map and on that page check the "Identify" and "Archived" options.

The cache in question could have been recently Archived, but you should see it in the list.

You can sign up for "Notifications" to get an email when a cache is Archived. I did that to help me keep my GSAK database more current.

GCQ2WX

It has been archived :)

There's no reason you can't log a find IF you found it. You might need to send the owner an email to explain the circumstances, though.

I recently went back and logged a mess of caches I had in my gps from '05 that I completely forgot I'd done. Quite a few of them had been archived.

Whoops.

michelle

GCQ2WX

There's no reason you can't log a find IF you found it. You might need to send the owner an email to explain the circumstances, though.

I recently went back and logged a mess of caches I had in my gps from '05 that I completely forgot I'd done. Quite a few of them had been archived.

Whoops.

michelle

So THAT's why you logged my old archived cache. I didn't understand the log so I deleted it.

GCQ2WX

Whoops.

michelle

So THAT's why you logged my old archived cache. I didn't understand the log so I deleted it.

I used my super-powers and undeleted it.

106.gif

michelle

So, if an archived cache is found, thus proof that it is actually still there, why can't it be unarchived? :D

It can be. There is a cache near where I work, where I was the last to find before a string of DNF's. The owner disabled it, then later archived it after he couldn't find the cache himself. One afternoon I took it upon myself to stroll over to the cache site and I found it relatively close to where I last hid it, except it was buried under a few inches of soil from a previous rainstorm. I rehid the cache in a somewhat safer, logical geocache spot and emailed the owner that I had refound it and told him where I hid it. I am happy to report that the cache is unarchived, and has a string of found it logs now.

I too, found a cache quite by accident while seeking another cache. I was seeking GC1343, which I haven't found yet BTW. As I was walking around the trail to leave the park, I saw a can wedged in a tree a distance off the trail which I thought was strange. I just had to check it out. After I got to the tree, I noticed something sticking out of the pine straw and tree litter. It turned out to be a cache. Contents were completely eroded but a name and phone number were still visible on the inside of the lid. I called the number and asked for the person, but they never heard of the person. Very strange. I haven't been back to the area yet. Tried the above method to see if it was archived, but it doesn't show up. Next time I go back, will measure the distance from the other caches. And try to replace it and adopt it.

More importantly, if the cache is archived, why was the geo-litter left at the site?

Because all people do not care like others do.

We recently found a cache that was different than the owner intended. I sent the owner and email with pictures. The owner thanked me for the update and then archived the cache. It was a haphazardly placed micro and too far away from their home to repair. A month later we were driving by and the cache was still there. I stopped and removed the litter but honestly it disgusts me that someone would archive and not clean up their mess. If unable to at the time they could have at least mentioned in the archive log that if someone could get to it before they were able to if they could remove the litter.

It was most likely a hide without permission anyway.

But it is things like this that make all geocachers look bad. (You and me.) ;):D

One of our more prominent local cachers related a tale to me of 2 micros.

A very experienced cacher with thousands of finds went out to find a micro.

Unable to locate it, they decided that they would put out a new micro to replace the old one.

They believed that with their level of experience, if it was there, they would find it.

Actually, the original micro was still there in it's hiding spot.

When the storyteller was there with a group of cachers, he happened to be standing in the middle of the 2 micros and heard 2 cachers, one on either side of him, say "I found it" at the same time.

He said it was like hearing it in stereo.

They examined the logs and found that some people had logged one of the micros, and some people had logged the other. Of course most people once they find one, don't think to keep looking for another one in the same place.

They combined the logs and removed one of the micros so it was back to a one micro location again.

:D

More importantly, if the cache is archived, why was the geo-litter left at the site?

Sometimes you get the best containers that way...

I found a cache in early '04 that was in a questionable location... actually, not so questionable. It specifically said, "STAY ON THE TRAIL IDJIT!" (well, kinda). National Forest. Interpretive Trail. Working on 'healing' some wayward wanderings from other people and forest ground cover reclamation... yadda yadda yadda.

So, I mentioned that.

Cache owner did nothing. You see, it was a vacation cache. Placed in an area they'd been to, liked... hadn't bothered to do any research about the area or any of the other caches that were there either.

So after some inactivity on the part of the cache owner, I mentioned it to the approver who gave the nod.

Dialog with the owners. Eventually they decided not to do anything about it, and archived the cache.

FWD... one guy goes out and get the TB that was left a couple months (?) later. Fast FWD 1.5 years... I went out there for some other caching and decided to see what happened to the cache.

I gots me a nicely painted, swag filled, 50 cal. ammo can Gee, Oh! Cache out of the deal.

Mind you, by that time, the signs had been removed and you didn't have to stay on the trail any more... but that whole vacation cache deal didn't have me contacting the owners post haste to reinstate it.

michelle

Sometimes you get the best containers that way...

I found a cache in early '04 that was in a questionable location... actually, not so questionable. It specifically said, "STAY ON THE TRAIL IDJIT!" (well, kinda). National Forest. Interpretive Trail. Working on 'healing' some wayward wanderings from other people and forest ground cover reclamation... yadda yadda yadda.

So, I mentioned that.

Cache owner did nothing. You see, it was a vacation cache. Placed in an area they'd been to, liked... hadn't bothered to do any research about the area or any of the other caches that were there either.

So after some inactivity on the part of the cache owner, I mentioned it to the approver who gave the nod.

Dialog with the owners. Eventually they decided not to do anything about it, and archived the cache.

FWD... one guy goes out and get the TB that was left a couple months (?) later. Fast FWD 1.5 years... I went out there for some other caching and decided to see what happened to the cache.

I gots me a nicely painted, swag filled, 50 cal. ammo can Gee, Oh! Cache out of the deal.

Mind you, by that time, the signs had been removed and you didn't have to stay on the trail any more... but that whole vacation cache deal didn't have me contacting the owners post haste to reinstate it.

michelle

Yeah, well I'd been in discussions with the park officials and knew the "stay on the trail" policy was going to be removed, so I decided to leave my cache place for a little while until it was changed. My uncle lives half a mile away and I sent him to check on my cache just before I was going to have it re-submitted. Now I know who it was that he saw walking off with my cache.

You owe me one ammo can.

Edited by Mushtang

Yeah, well I'd been in discussions with the park officials and knew the "stay on the trail" policy was going to be removed, so I decided to leave my cache place for a little while until it was changed. My uncle lives half a mile away and I sent him to check on my cache just before I was going to have it re-submitted. Know I know who it was that he saw walking off with my cache.

You owe me one ammo can.

Maybe next time you'll get your dad to move a little faster. I know he's old and everything, but... nice try, using that as an excuse.

I'll tell you what, even though I feel pretty good about the length of time I left it out there hoping you'd come pick up your vacation trache, I feel bad about taking what was obviously a well planned and executed tra...er, cache placement.

Just for you, because you've been such a sport, and don't seem to be holding a grudge or anything, I'll put your ammo can next to the cache container in my upcoming cache. You might want to bring something to attach it to your person for your descent...

70307e4c-ce33-496a-ba31-076b4f0148cb.jpg

michelle

Yeah, well I'd been in discussions with the park officials and knew the "stay on the trail" policy was going to be removed, so I decided to leave my cache place for a little while until it was changed. My uncle lives half a mile away and I sent him to check on my cache just before I was going to have it re-submitted. Now I know who it was that he saw walking off with my cache.

You owe me one ammo can.

Maybe next time you'll get your dad to move a little faster. I know he's old and everything, but... nice try, using that as an excuse.

I'll tell you what, even though I feel pretty good about the length of time I left it out there hoping you'd come pick up your vacation trache, I feel bad about taking what was obviously a well planned and executed tra...er, cache placement.

Just for you, because you've been such a sport, and don't seem to be holding a grudge or anything, I'll put your ammo can next to the cache container in my upcoming cache. You might want to bring something to attach it to your person for your descent...

70307e4c-ce33-496a-ba31-076b4f0148cb.jpg

michelle

Awesome! I'll have to plan another vacation soon to visit my uncle dad, and be sure to stop off and get the ammo can while I'm visiting.

That's an awesome cache you've constructed out there. All that steel spanning between the two hills must have cost you a pretty penny. I'll bet the view from the film cannister is worth the climb!

Edited by Mushtang

Awesome! I'll have to plan another vacation soon to visit my uncle dad, and be sure to stop off and get the ammo can while I'm visiting.

That's an awesome cache you've constructed out there. All that steel spanning between the two hills must have cost you a pretty penny. I'll bet the view from the film cannister is worth the climb!

Dad... Uncle... I hear they're one and the same in your neck of the woods. :D

Film cannister? We can whip em out when you get here. I'll bring the yard stick.

Is anyone gonna close this thread? I'm afraid to leave for lunch!

michelle

Dad... Uncle... I hear they're one and the same in your neck of the woods. :D

Film cannister? We can whip em out when you get here. I'll bring the yard stick.

michelle

Hey, my mom/aunt hates it when people say that about our family.

I'll bring the rope.

So, if an archived cache is found, thus proof that it is actually still there, why can't it be unarchived? :D

It depends on the circumstances of its archival, and how long it's been archived. If it was because no one found it so the owner just archived it, it might be possible for them to write to a reviewer and ask to have it unarchived. If it's been a long time, or they were not responding/maintaining their cache then probably no. And also a definite no if the circumstances around the cache has changed so that it no longer complies with the guidelines, for instance, another cache has been placed within .1 miles of the archived cache.

Most importantly, the owner has to ask for the cache to be unarchived, no one else. Then the reviewer will look at it and decide.

Yes sadly, a lot of people just leave their archived caches and never pick them up. But as it's been mentioned before, it's hard to judge because for all we know, they've listed it on another site. We shouldn't assume.

Edited by Ambrosia

Dad... Uncle... I hear they're one and the same in your neck of the woods. :laughing:

Is anyone gonna close this thread? I'm afraid to leave for lunch!

michelle

Geocaching is often boils down to a game of inches, so a yard stick can be useful in settling disputes among other things. If it is a geo-date it would probably go a little smoother if you kept them out of sight at first, especially the film cannister.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Because all people do not care like others do.

We recently found a cache that was different than the owner intended. I sent the owner and email with pictures. The owner thanked me for the update and then archived the cache. It was a haphazardly placed micro and too far away from their home to repair. A month later we were driving by and the cache was still there. I stopped and removed the litter but honestly it disgusts me that someone would archive and not clean up their mess. If unable to at the time they could have at least mentioned in the archive log that if someone could get to it before they were able to if they could remove the litter.

I hate it when I agree with knight2000. :laughing: (Need a bromoseltzer!) (And ignoring the quixotic 'permission' bromide.)

I'm starting to wonder how many cache owners remove their geolitter after archival? I see some owners who get tired of the hides, and remove and archive them. But I also see early geocachers who have left the game. Got married. Died. Went onto other interests. Cache hidden in June of 02, multi. First stage is gone. Cache is archived. Second stage still there a year later, with trapped travel bug! (Rescued bug; removed geolitter.) Similar cache placed in November 05. Cache muggled. Travel bugs muggled. Removed geolitter. Regular cache placed 2/02. Hey, it lasted five years! But it's about to be archived. Venerable old cache, in bad condition. Owner hasn't cached in three or four years. Someone asked me if I wanted to adopt it. No. The area is untenable. The area has been cleared, and trees have fallen down on the area. I could move it a few hundred feet to a better iding place, but, then, it wouldn't be the same cache. Might hide a memorial cache in the area...

Then we have the cacher who never maintains any cache! About half his caches have been archived for non-maintenance. The micros in the prickly evergreens, and in the guard rails are gone. (And not missed.) But the multi, where the first stage in the guard rail next to the dump is missing, has a TB in the ammo can at the final stage. Might have to mount a rescue mission.

Dead cachers is one problem.

Cachers who leave the game and forget to remove their geotrash is another problem.

But, I find active cachers who ignore their geotrash to be intolerable!

I found a geocache in a park and it does not seem to be listed anymore. I only download caches from here, so it must have been available sometime. Is there a way to see if it was archived?

Co-ords are 44.36.558, 88.45.418.

I think it was called catch it if you can???

Ya know,

You just have to wonder how many archived caches are still out there that may just be a very good hide but the owner can't or won't return to take a look. I have found a few in this area, one quite by accident but none the less, I'd be interested in how many of us out here would actually take the time to really verify that the cache is gone before archiving.

And.. along that thought, I wonder how many of us would go looking for an archived cache just to see? I have and was pleasantly surprised with a find.

We have a cache in this area that is archived but.. If you go there to take a look, you'll not only find the cache container, you will see a very active log! The owner wanted to change a listing from a traditional to a puzzle so the first was archived, renamed and relisted. I fugured what the heck! Signed and logged it a second time! After all, it's a new cache listing right?

Love the game!