Brand new to geocoins

woofiegrrl

Hi everybody! I see there is a whole culture surrounding geocoins. I have been caching for about a year and a half but I have never really gotten into geocoins. I thought of an idea for a coin I'd like to make, and I got a quote from Oakcoins. I was surprised that it was over $1000 for 250 coins! (I want a custom icon...you GOTTA have a custom icon, right?!)

So I am wondering...how do people usually go about financing geocoins? Does one person usually have to sacrifice the $1000+ and then get their money back over time as the coins sell? I already have a design in mind and a purpose and all of that but I am wondering how to PAY for it! :)

Hi everybody! I see there is a whole culture surrounding geocoins. I have been caching for about a year and a half but I have never really gotten into geocoins. I thought of an idea for a coin I'd like to make, and I got a quote from Oakcoins. I was surprised that it was over $1000 for 250 coins! (I want a custom icon...you GOTTA have a custom icon, right?!)

So I am wondering...how do people usually go about financing geocoins? Does one person usually have to sacrifice the $1000+ and then get their money back over time as the coins sell? I already have a design in mind and a purpose and all of that but I am wondering how to PAY for it! :)

Basically -- yes.

I used my income tax refund to finance the Doodle Bug coins. The coins I had made before that were trade only (non-trackable) and I saved up to pay for them.

Windrose

250 coins with an icon- Youre talking $525.00 for just the icon and the tracking number. Then you have to account for the different metals, enameling, different size coins and the details of the coin.

Over $1000 is a reasonable price. Affordable to some is another question. We have different options to help people out that cant afford the money up front. Ask them what they can offer you.

<link removed by moderator>

Edited by Eartha

250 coins with an icon- Youre talking $525.00 for just the icon and the tracking number. Then you have to account for the different metals, enameling, different size coins and the details of the coin.

Over $1000 is a reasonable price. Affordable to some is another question. We have different options to help people out that cant afford the money up front. Ask them what they can offer you.

Wow, a good answer, ruined by a url signature, instead of "Matt", or "SoCal". Low :)

Edited by Eartha

A decent size regular coin (1.5"-1.75"), trackable with a special icon, should be between $1000 and $1500, without crazy glitter enamels or cutouts. Sounds like their quote is spot on.

Wow, a good answer, ruined by a url signature, instead of "Matt", or "SoCal". Low :)

Judging by there track record, that would be a response you should have expected.

Edited by Eartha

www.socalgeocoins.com

Judging by there track record, that would be a response you should have expected.

Without hijacking this poor girls thread for too long, yes, 100%. Just felt it needed a spotlight B)

Wow, thats actually a lot lower than I would have thought considering how much many of them are sold for. I just got out the calculator and I think I realize now why so many people trade! Whoa... Maybe that will be my present to myself when I'm done paying back my student loans!

If you can't afford all that upfront some people do pre-orders (but be aware a lot of people seem to hate this), or you could ask minters about their coin-resale programs. I know a lot of them will sell the coin for you, but I'm not sure on the details. This way might save you all the bookkeeping and packaging work too..

My first coin was minted through the Geocoin Store and they were easy to work with.... They have options so that you do not have to put out too much $$$.

I like working with Oakcoins, which have done my last 2 coins, but it is money out of your pocket and hope that you make it back in time. Oakcoins has been great to work with and the $1000+ quote is right on target.

I like Rusty of PersonalGeocoins.com. They are very easy to work with and have good prices. All his work is good and I do not think he has had anyone disapointed with his work. I have and will have all my coins made through him. For a standard coin,

1.5" Diameter

3.0 mm thickness

2D & Color both sides

Choice of metal finish

Laser Engraving

Shipping included

Die Fees included

250 Tracking Codes included

Custom Icon included

It is $1335 on your door step which is a good price.

Let's remember that this young lady wants to know how to afford 250 trackable coins, not who to mint with. I would hate to see her thread locked because it becomes a "my favorite company is" discussion.

On topic, after you get good artwork completed, one thing that I see to be helpful to potential coin makers is to post an "intersest" question. Create a post with artwork, coin dimensions (diameter, thickness, 2D/3D, etc.), and best guess price. It will get people thinking, and be some good feedback on direction. Remember though, not all coins are going to sell as planned. It certainly is a good chunk of change, and sometimes hard to recoup. I'm still in the red from selling Northwest Ohio Geocachers coins, and funding the $2K+ out of my own pocket. You have to love coins, and be able to let the money fall where it may. (IMHO)

Let's remember that this young lady wants to know how to afford 250 trackable coins, not who to mint with. I would hate to see her thread locked because it becomes a "my favorite company is" discussion.

On topic, after you get good artwork completed, one thing that I see to be helpful to potential coin makers is to post an "interest" question. Create a post with artwork, coin dimensions (diameter, thickness, 2D/3D, etc.), and best guess price. It will get people thinking, and be some good feedback on direction. Remember though, not all coins are going to sell as planned. It certainly is a good chunk of change, and sometimes hard to recoup. I'm still in the red from selling Northwest Ohio Geocachers coins, and funding the $2K+ out of my own pocket. You have to love coins, and be able to let the money fall where it may. (IMHO)

I agree here. I have not had any coins made yet, but I do know several folks who have.

One of the things I can tell you is that if the coins are well designed, and a design that others will want, it is easier for you to get a coin company to work with you. I know of one instance where a person designed their own coin, and worked with a vendor who minted something like 400-500 of the coins, giving the person 100 and selling the rest themselves to fund the project and make a little profit. I am probably remembering the numbers wrong, but the principle is still there. If your coin design is something that others will want, you have a much better chance at getting a coin vendor to mint it for you in exchange for them being able to sell to the public, or to give you a significantly reduced minting price.

If you have a favorite vendor you like to buy from, you might try contacting them and seeing if they have any suggestions for you. They may be able to help you out themselves, or possibly link you up with someone who can help you. Additionally, if you haven't spoken with a coin designer, it might be worthwhile to do that too. They have generally designed many coins already so they have experience with what "works" and what "doesn't". I am lucky enough to live close to a coin designer I would trust with this for me. You may be as lucky as me, and just not know it yet.

When I had my coin made it cost over that price and it was before you could do 250 for a custom icon, back then it was 500 coins. So i settled with the genric icon. Oh well. I paid for mine straight out then sold them to get the money back and was able to keep enough for myself and trading. To me it was worth it. Just my two cents.

Wow, thanks to everyone for the help! I especially appreciate those of you who have pointed out that not everyone posting is a "disinterested party" and that not all of the answers have actually been related to my question! Thanks to Moop for realizing that the question is "how to afford" rather than "who has it cheapest/best" - I can research prices on my own, but they are ALL expensive!

I've heard from multiple people that preorders are not looked upon kindly, so that option is probably out. I've also heard that most people collect geocoins rather than moving them from cache to cache. I know making them trackable costs more, but my "dream" for this project was to have them in caches! Does that reduce the likelihood that I will be able to sell them? If there are even 50 out of 250 in caches that would be delightful, but can I hope for that or will all 250 get taken by collectors?

I really want to go the route of having the minter do the selling. I am not concerned about profiting from this! I can't imagine packaging and shipping 250 coins by myself, so that is a great reason to have the minter do it, plus it might reduce the costs in that they do the grunt work. So did I hear correctly that I should make a mockup, post it in this forum, and then see what minters think? Or am I misunderstanding?

Woofie

Glad to see your interest in getting coins back into caches. A good way to make that happen is by keeping the price of the coin to the lowest possible price. No I am not saying make a cheap coin, all I am saying is a $5 to $7 dollar coin is more likely to be released than a $10 to $12 dollar coin.

You do not have to worry about selling 250 coins. If the price is right and the coin is geacaching related they tend to sell like hot cakes.

Ok someone asked about how people go about financing geocoins. SOCALGEOCOINS gave a run down on why they are so expensive but then turned it back to whomever this person was using to make the coins on what they could do for her? Even going to say that if that other coin company cant help that SOCALGEOCOINS has different options available to those who cant afford all the money up front. How could anyone see this as anything other than being polite? I just dont understand the reason to jump a company who is offering their time to explain the price run down and then offering to work something out for them if that other company can NOT!

Ok someone asked about how people go about financing geocoins. SOCALGEOCOINS gave a run down on why they are so expensive but then turned it back to whomever this person was using to make the coins on what they could do for her? Even going to say that if that other coin company cant help that SOCALGEOCOINS has different options available to those who cant afford all the money up front. How could anyone see this as anything other than being polite? I just dont understand the reason to jump a company who is offering their time to explain the price run down and then offering to work something out for them if that other company can NOT!

A simple question was asked by the OP, yet SCG decided to turn his post into a commercial thread all in one breathe.

It is no secret that you are not suppose to solicite commercially in these threads, hence the reason that the manufactures are pinned in a thread at the top of this page.

Of course if you had more than one post to the forums you would have a feel for the guidlines of what is allowed and what is not allowed.

I'll throw my 2cents in here....

From my own personal experience, I've gone about this coin thing 3 ways now.

My first time and on my personal coin (Raiders of the Lost Cache), I footed the bill for that coin, had them shipped to me, I traded w/ people and mailed them myself. This coin was not trackable but it was expensive. I paid $6.70 for each one of those coins (yes, I did) for a non-trackable coin (gulp). Ok, the coin is huge, 3D both sides, gems and 2 cut outs which helped bump this coin price up.... but I would do that coin differently if I had too

*** I never thought about what it would cost me to ship the coins out to people when I started trading. I had to buy envelopes (although I was able to recycle some mailers I already had) but the coin was so dang heavy, that cost me even more money to mail out 1 coin. So when I add up the cost of that coin w/ mailers and shipping, I think each coin cost about $9.00, a little over. Don't get me wrong, I love that coin but I learned ALOT from that experience. I would have made that coin trackable and let that company sell it for me. I would have had traders and there would have been virtually no cost to me.

Going thru a coin 'outlet' to have your coin made and receiving a certain amount in return for trading/selling purposes. I've gone this route too. Virtually no hassles, you don't have to package, ship, etc. You get "free" coins. I have found that companies do work a little bit differently from each other. Two coin companies are really good about keeping me in the loop, I am sent everything/have final decision as the process moves about, I like that, because I am the one who knows exactly what I want the coin to look like. Then there are other companies who don't included the designer quite as much as the others. If you're ok with that, then fine but some of us want just a bit more control over designs. Your coins get produced, you get your freebies and the rest are sold/packaged/shipped for you and the customer absorbs the cost of all that. You only take on the cost of shipping your freebies.

Then there is the option of doing the WHOLE thing yourself. Yes, you need to have the $$$ upfront. You'll pay for your tracking #'s and icon fee (this is not cheap). You'll need to find a place to host your coin codes, which is not tough. You'll need to submit everything that needs submitting, to everyone who needs it, lol. It's time consuming and you have to stay on top of things. Working with the mint directly is unique experience. I found the person I worked with to be very nice and lightning fast when I had questions. My biggest hurdle was sometimes trying to be very basic in my wording so there wasn't any misunderstandings but I learned quickly and I actually enjoyed the whole process. I had researched as much as humanly possible before I made this leap though. There are a couple of fees that you don't realize until you go it alone but nothing too bad. Production time seems to take 1 - 2 weeks longer than it used to, so you're looking at 4-6 weeks after your sample coin photos are emailed to you (another issue you will need to figure in, get samples in hand or go off photos). Once the coins finally get in....you need to invoice, answer emails, etc. go to the post office, have enough mailers, postage, on and on....you can prepare for all this prior to the coins arrival though. I don't know if many companies or coin sellers, whatever, do this, but I went through each individual coin, looked at it, checked off it's tracking number, to make sure it was valid and to make sure it was not a duplicate (I had 6 duplicate #'s), and a couple #'s that weren't used at all. If you don't take care of every angle from the get go and stay on top of things, it will get messy and customers will get angry. I tried to avoid that whole issue by carefully reading the threads ever since I started coming here. Another issue that I'm dealing with but only 2 people really, getting them to pay...you don't know if people are not interested anymore, can't afford it but are afraid to say anything, gone on vacation, etc. Personally, I'm very flexible and would just like an answer so I know which way to go. Minus these 2 exceptions, it has been a great and rewarding experience. You NEED time, time, more time, patience, and organization to accomplish this task. Yes, you do save some $$$ by going it alone but if you're like me and only charged just enough to make back the $$$ on the coins, you lose out when you factor in the time you put in to the whole thing. BUT, you gain a ton of experience and build some great friendships along the way, that to me is worth more than $$$.

One other smaller option is the group project someone else spearheads. it's a neat idea if you just want to get your feet wet with having a coin for yourself. Just watch the threads, they pop up, or people can point out the direction to go for group coins in progress. I tried this too, I liked it in the beginning. It's probably your least expensive route and allows you some trading ability.

I'm happy to answer questions via email too or you will find others here willing to help answer your questions.

Good luck and have fun.

tsun :laughing:

Edited by tsunrisebey

The funniest part is that I read SOCALGEOCOIN's post about the metals, etc. - but I didn't even see the URL at the bottom of the post until somebody else pointed it out! :laughing:

The thread owner did not take offense to the help SOCALGEOCOINS offered. However, you seem to be bothered big time by it!

A simple question was asked by the OP, yet SCG decided to turn his post into a commercial thread all in one breathe.

It is no secret that you are not suppose to solicite commercially in these threads, hence the reason that the manufactures are pinned in a thread at the top of this page.

Of course if you had more than one post to the forums you would have a feel for the guidlines of what is allowed and what is not allowed.

It's so sad to see that some of you on here cant say anything nice about anyone. I wasnt trying to turn this into a commerical thread at all. I answered the question to the post without even realizing that I didnt sign my "name". :laughing: I'm/we are tired of feeling that we have to defend ourselves everytime we make any comments in the forum. I told them they should go to the company they started with and told them they should find out what they offer. Id like to know how that is trying to turn it into a commericial thread all in one breathe?

P.S. I was the one who responded to this post so you shouldnt ASSUME it was Matt.

Nan

Edited by SoCalGeocoins

Just because I have only replied once to the thread does not make me unfamiliar with the guidelines, I have been reading for months and seem to see a trend of a few posters that love to bash others for the mere joy of seeing their words in type! A company responded with advice, since when is it a crime for a competitor to help? I think its going above and beyond what would be expected. However, it seems most of you have way too much time on your hands and feel it is mandatory to slander a company for offering to help.

Just because I have only replied once to the thread does not make me unfamiliar with the guidelines, I have been reading for months and seem to see a trend of a few posters that love to bash others for the mere joy of seeing their words in type! A company responded with advice, since when is it a crime for a competitor to help? I think its going above and beyond what would be expected. However, it seems most of you have way too much time on your hands and feel it is mandatory to slander a company for offering to help.

You miss the point...their advice was spot-on.

Leaving their url as a sig is what set things off. All of the vendors offer advise from time to time. That is fine. It's just when you leave any doubt as to whether or not you are plugging your business that causes friction.

www.coinsbydave.com

JK

:laughing:

I'm/we are tired of feeling that we have to defend ourselves everytime we make any comments in the forum.

You are only having to defend yourself because of the shady decisions your business has carried out since you have come on scene. That is the only reason you are questioned everytime you make a comment.

However, it seems most of you have way too much time on your hands and feel it is mandatory to slander a company for offering to help.

Slander?? I believe is called questioning the unwritten code of ethics that this company has violated on more than one occasion.

You can call it what you will the bottom line is that there are far more people banding together to question these type of antics than there are those who are just going to lay down and except it.

Those who speak up will continue to be accused of bashing companies, however if that is what it takes to protect the integrity of the Geocoin Community then that is what I will do and you can call it what ever you want. The last time I checked if it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, well then .................!!!!

... feel it is mandatory to slander a company for offering to help.

You mean libel right ( or the more generic "defame" )? :laughing:

I'm jus' sayin'

Well if we wanna go as far as to say LIBEL surely, its the most severe of the two. We are all entitled to our own opinions it is when you print it in public form without factual basis that may harm the reputation of an individual, business, or product, etc.. that is becomes defamation. How it is expressed is the defination between the two.

Yeah, I am not too thrilled with the thread hijack. I guess my main message is I don't care if people advertise to me or not! It doesn't help me but it doesn't bother me. Can we please not talk about that anymore?

Thanks to everyone who has been helpful! Can anyone clarify what the costs are if I have a company do the minting and selling themselves? Is it basically an exchange of my idea for a few coins of that idea, and then they pay for everything as well as keeping all the profits? Or can I expect to have to pay for part of it in that scenario too?

Can anyone clarify what the costs are if I have a company do the minting and selling themselves? Is it basically an exchange of my idea for a few coins of that idea, and then they pay for everything as well as keeping all the profits? Or can I expect to have to pay for part of it in that scenario too?

It differs per vendor. They each have their own ways of doing a coin minting split. And your coin design also has to be something they want to invest in as well. Not all coin designs are accepted in a vendor split situation.

I would be interested in knowing who the best stie to go through is for a reseller, I get some coins for free...

I have a great idea that will sell out but do not want to finance it 100%

As AG wrote it differs by vendor and it depends on what you are looking to get out of the deal as well. When I had my first coin minted, I sent emails to the minters listed on the Geocaching.com Trackables page explaining my situration. I did get offers from a couple of minters and I went with the one which appealed most to me. It is a personal decision on what's important to you.

Maybe you could take out a loan for the coins and get 249 normal coins and one special coin minted, After you recieve the coins start some sort of auction for the special coin through the geocoin forums to recover some of the costs. The other coin sales should cover the rest of the cost.

Edited by Lotho

Wow, gone for a day and what happens.....

Thank you for trying to get this back on topic. This thread will not be locked if it goes off topic, that wouldn't be fair to the person looking for answers. I will not promise, however, that suspensions will not be handed out for further off-topic discussions.

Wow, thanks to everyone for the help! I especially appreciate those of you who have pointed out that not everyone posting is a "disinterested party" and that not all of the answers have actually been related to my question! Thanks to Moop for realizing that the question is "how to afford" rather than "who has it cheapest/best" - I can research prices on my own, but they are ALL expensive!

And thank you to the OP for for trying to keep this on topic. There are a lot of great folks in here with a lot of information. We'll make sure to get you what you need.

Can anyone clarify what the costs are if I have a company do the minting and selling themselves? Is it basically an exchange of my idea for a few coins of that idea, and then they pay for everything as well as keeping all the profits? Or can I expect to have to pay for part of it in that scenario too?

It differs per vendor. They each have their own ways of doing a coin minting split. And your coin design also has to be something they want to invest in as well. Not all coin designs are accepted in a vendor split situation.

And thank you AG for responding in a manner that is both helpful and within the guidelines.

Let's all follow this example, mmmmm k?

I would be interested in knowing who the best stie to go through is for a reseller, I get some coins for free...

I have a great idea that will sell out but do not want to finance it 100%

You will not get an answer in this thread. The question you ask requires that either the vendors come in and advertise their prices (not allowed) or that everybody start jumping in with their opinions on who to go with (also not allowed as it becomes overly commercialized). You're going to have to do your homework and actually contact the vendors pinned in the threads at the top of these boards, sorry.

So, back on topic: what other options does she have?

Don't know if you're close (friendships) with other cachers or have family members that cache but you might be able to get them to in on a coin with you. Each of you gets to design one side of the coin, split the cost and the coins. Just a thought. I would like to have a personal coin as well but am not in a position at this time to have one made. Best of luck!