Webcam Challange -get em before they're gone!

Lookout Lisa

I just pulled a PQ of all the webcams in Washington state, and I only got 14; 2 of which are currently disabled (including mine, which will be up and running as soon as the brick is re-laid underfoot!)

Would folks be interested in doing this sort of challenge, or should these grandfathered caches just wither away quietly??

They are:

Phatboyz...Go Dogz by bilbo19 (GCH3NT)

University of Christi by GEM's (GCH6MJ)

Pullman Cache by Durango! (GCHJ7A)

Welcome to High Point! by Fledermaus (GCJ16C)

Bavarian Village by That Vast Right Wing Conspiracy (GCJHC9)

U-District Webcam by Lookout Lisa (GCJRHX) (currently disabled)

Fishing for Cachers by Co-Pilot (GCK3VC)

Morton LoggerCam! by That Vast Right Wing Conspiracy (GCKA5Q)

High Five over Eye Five by Seth! (GCKVR5)

Spruce Goose - Port of Entry by Shunra (GCM9HK)

Clinton Ferry Terminal Webcam by DiverVan (GCN1PX)

SR 520: NE 51st St. by GeoBlank (GCP7H7)

Engine, Engine number 9, Going down the Lacey Line by ohjoy! (GCPE3A) (currently disabled)

Whitman Webcam by Happy Bubbles (GCQANH)

Thanks for your feedback in advance <_<

Edited by Lookout Lisa

It looks like I have already gotten about half or so. I am guessing that this would be a really short challenge for some of us. In fact I am sure that the hardest part would be getting the final for me. (I know that is reversed for many people on the other challanges.)

That said I am sure that those who really liked web cams would be all for it, while those who didn't care so much will feel similar about the challenge. My feeling is that you should go for it if you want to put the challange out there. The challenges I have been working on have fun and different and everyone seems to have thier favorite.

I just pulled a PQ of all the webcams in Washington state, and I only got 14; 2 of which are currently disabled (including mine, which will be up and running as soon as the brick is re-laid underfoot!)

Would folks be interested in doing this sort of challenge, or should these grandfathered caches just wither away quietly??

They are:

Phatboyz...Go Dogz by bilbo19 (GCH3NT)

University of Christi by GEM's (GCH6MJ)

Pullman Cache by Durango! (GCHJ7A)

Welcome to High Point! by Fledermaus (GCJ16C)

Bavarian Village by That Vast Right Wing Conspiracy (GCJHC9)

U-District Webcam by Lookout Lisa (GCJRHX) (currently disabled)

Fishing for Cachers by Co-Pilot (GCK3VC)

Morton LoggerCam! by That Vast Right Wing Conspiracy (GCKA5Q)

High Five over Eye Five by Seth! (GCKVR5)

Spruce Goose - Port of Entry by Shunra (GCM9HK)

Clinton Ferry Terminal Webcam by DiverVan (GCN1PX)

SR 520: NE 51st St. by GeoBlank (GCP7H7)

Engine, Engine number 9, Going down the Lacey Line by ohjoy! (GCPE3A) (currently disabled)

Whitman Webcam by Happy Bubbles (GCQANH)

Thanks for your feedback in advance <_<

Now that I have a laptop I would at least have a chance of being able to do some of these. But I don't think I'm up to a challenge with the price of gas and my lack of free time.

Go for it. This is something I'd be doing anyway. Since the webcam caches are an endangered species, I never pass one up. Looks like there's only 7 on your list that I haven't done yet. The only thing that'd have me grumbling is that you'd probably hide the container in Spokane! :)

:) Hide the final in Spokane! Well... perhaps... Seems I've done a lot of driving over the Cascades to finish up challenges and such... so I suppose a little reversal is in order. B)

Guess what I did? I managed to bag an archived webcam that had been out of commission for over a year, but now the webcam is back online. Anyway, it's doable if I can do it and I did. Mukilteo Ferry Webcam (GCJDQ8) (which is directly across the water from the Clinton webcam). Hopefully it will be unarchived soon.

Guess what I did? I managed to bag an archived webcam that had been out of commission for over a year, but now the webcam is back online. Anyway, it's doable if I can do it and I did. Mukilteo Ferry Webcam (GCJDQ8) (which is directly across the water from the Clinton webcam). Hopefully it will be unarchived soon.

Hey that is awesome!! I will put a watch on it. I am just awaiting feedback on my final for the challenge... so if all goes well it should be published this week... sorry for the delay -please stand by...er... cache on!

I have 5 on the list already logged as finds. Will these be allowed, as completed towards the challenge, or is there going to be a date issue such as the county challenge?

Unfortunatly the webcam cache cannot be unarchived. In order to unarchive a cache, it would have to meet current guidelines and since webcam caches are not allowed under current guidelines it won't happen.

I suppose I could list it on Waymarking.com, but I don't hang out there much.

That said... I have no problem with someone logging the cache, as long as the pic they take is legit

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

I have 5 on the list already logged as finds. Will these be allowed, as completed towards the challenge, or is there going to be a date issue such as the county challenge?

No, I don't see any need to have finds only from a certain date forward -perhaps if these weren't endangered species; but as they are I think any legitimate find on the web cams included will count. Now if I could just hear something back from the reviewers... this will get published!

:huh: Woo Hoo! Good news: The Washington State Webcam Challenge has just been published!

I got the green light over the weekend on my challenge idea, but since I was at the Grays Harbor Cache Machine I wasn't able to hide the final until Monday night. It was a beautiful night! I saw 2 deer on the drive up to the parking area as the sun was setting, and then I got to watch the nearly full moon rise over the city lights below as I was walking to gz. Just as I was finishing up the hide, a huge pack of coyotes started yapping and yipping away -pretty close! My dog thankfully stayed near, and didn't get spooked, although I nearly was! The moon was so bright I didn't need the headlamp for the .75 mile walk back to the georig. So, I would highly recommend doing this near dusk :huh:

Have fun everyone! :D

Given this little requirement...

"You must create, produce, post to the internet (personal webpage, youtube.com, or something to that effect) and link in your log to this final a VIDEO on the subject of:

Your thoughts on 'what is a challenge'. This could be a talking head, slideshow with commentary, or something really creative; the sky is the limit, as long as it is a minimum of 30 seconds, and of course family friendly!"

...for the final, I'm probably not gonna work on this challange.

We don't all have high-speed, or the hardware/knowledge to do this.

Too bad. It sounded like fun.

"You must create, produce, post to the internet (personal webpage, youtube.com, or something to that effect) and link in your log to this final a VIDEO on the subject of:

Your thoughts on 'what is a challenge'. This could be a talking head, slideshow with commentary, or something really creative; the sky is the limit, as long as it is a minimum of 30 seconds, and of course family friendly!"

Well, this is webcam challenge, so I wanted the final to also incorporate webcams, video, images... plus I like to hear about what makes people tick; I am excited to see what folks will come up with!

Does your cell phone or camera take video? Perhaps a friend/fellow cacher would be interested in helping out if you did decide to pursue this challenge. I am open to entertaining group find ideas...

Smile for the camera :blink:

Well, this is webcam challenge, so I wanted the final to also incorporate webcams, video, images... plus I like to hear about what makes people tick; I am excited to see what folks will come up with!

Does your cell phone or camera take video? Perhaps a friend/fellow cacher would be interested in helping out if you did decide to pursue this challenge. I am open to entertaining group find ideas...

Smile for the camera ;)

I think it's an interesting final idea, but it is true that webcam shots are a single image, whereas you're asking for a short video, which requires more knowledge and toys (and public scrutiny). I personally wouldn't want to make a 30-sec video of myself, even though I have multiple high-tech options (cell phone, digital camera, iMac, altho never posted any vid online), so that will probably nix it for me. (Actually, the fact I'm not into webcams will nix it, but the video is the coup de grace. Alas, finally a challenge I will never finish. Boo hoo.) However, I will highly enjoy watching those of other finishers! :huh:

Oh, and I hear FTF is already in the bag.... :blink:

Smile for the camera ;)

I think it's an interesting final idea, but it is true that webcam shots are a single image, whereas you're asking for a short video, which requires more knowledge and toys (and public scrutiny). I personally wouldn't want to make a 30-sec video of myself, even though I have multiple high-tech options (cell phone, digital camera, iMac, altho never posted any vid online), so that will probably nix it for me. (Actually, the fact I'm not into webcams will nix it, but the video is the coup de grace. Alas, finally a challenge I will never finish. Boo hoo.) However, I will highly enjoy watching those of other finishers! :huh:

Oh, and I hear FTF is already in the bag.... :blink:

I never said the cacher had to be in the video... but thanks for your thoughts! And yes, there's been a trip made over here already -but they didn't know about the extra production part, so the FTF is still available :)

And yes, there's been a trip made over here already -but they didn't know about the extra production part, so the FTF is still available ;)

Actually, they do, they just can't do it on the road without internet access. :blink:

Yes, they did by last night when the cache was published (about 8pm when we talked on the phone), and we had dinner later when they got into town and I brought printouts along. A very interesting trip for these cachers... I'm sure all the logs will be good reading :huh:

Smile for the camera B)

I think it's an interesting final idea, but it is true that webcam shots are a single image, whereas you're asking for a short video, which requires more knowledge and toys (and public scrutiny). I personally wouldn't want to make a 30-sec video of myself, even though I have multiple high-tech options (cell phone, digital camera, iMac, altho never posted any vid online), so that will probably nix it for me. (Actually, the fact I'm not into webcams will nix it, but the video is the coup de grace. Alas, finally a challenge I will never finish. Boo hoo.) However, I will highly enjoy watching those of other finishers! :o

Oh, and I hear FTF is already in the bag.... :o

I am going to have to go along with Shop99er, and hydnsek. This is now an undoable challenge for me. I had half of them done at least, and looked forward to having another possible doable challenge to check off the ever growing challenge list, but with the video requirement, that wrote this one right off as a " not gonna happin' "!

I do have high speed, so that is not a problem, I just do not have the know how to create and publish a video, no matter where it needs to be done.

Good luck with this challenge, and it is unfortunately now off my "pay attention to list".

Congrats on the publication of your Webcam Challenge! I've fond mine to be a challenge in its administration for me and have learned a lot. It's been rewarding for me and I hope yours will be the same for you.

Personally, I love challenge caches, and enjoy making an attempt to complete them, although how many I will be able to complete remains to be seen.

Yours is no exception -- mostly. I expect I'll work on it, and maybe even completed the required video, but I suspect that portion will be composed of minimal effort from me and will be the least enjoyed portion of this particular challenge for me.

On a personal level, I do not enjoy being on the 'being photo'd' side of any lens, with video being the absolute worst for me. (Thank goodness that webcam results are notoriously horrible!) To give you some idea of where that dislike comes from, my father is known as "Video Bob". He wanted to video the birth of his grandsons! I do enjoy photography, but most of my pictures tend to focus on places rather than people.

On a less personal level, I don't see much of a connection between a webcam photo and a video, except for the possibility that a camera lens is needed for each. The video requirement on the subject of 'what is a challenge' sounds more suitable as a requirement for a 'Challenge Challenge Cache' (find all the current challenge caches in the state of Washington) or as an assignment for a philosophy class. It also seems to me that there is not a particularly level playing field as there are some who have only dial-up, not because of financial issues, but because where they happen to live. They will have to make extra effort to find a way to upload a multi-MB file that might probably take hours over a phone line.

Instead, how about a well thought-out photo taken at any webcam (current or archived) to be posted with a finders log on the subject of "what is a challenge"? Something that shows a little thought, creativity or ???

Sorry I'm not more supportive in that portion of your challenge, but in the final analysis, and as has been pointed out other places, it is your challenge cache, and you get the choice (or challenge?) of how you'd like to run it.

I'd like to congratulate Prying Pandora on her FTF by being the first to successfully finish all requirements on the Washington State Webcam Challenge -Woo Hoo! :o:oB) And the vid was fun to watch -especially after our conversation about how challenges really get into your brain and can consume you.

It was great to meet up with her and Ohjoy! late Thursday night when they arrived (tired and sandy) in Spokane. The challenge was published while they were only about an hour out of town, so PP was literally bouncing with excitement at her potential FTF. Alas, I couldn't walk with them the next day to the actual cache (had to run to an appointment with still wet feet from doing *.* with them!) but judging from the picture and log all was well at GZ.

I'd like to congratulate Prying Pandora on her FTF by being the first to successfully finish all requirements on the Washington State Webcam Challenge -Woo Hoo! :):):D And the vid was fun to watch -especially after our conversation about how challenges really get into your brain and can consume you.

It was great to meet up with her and Ohjoy! late Thursday night when they arrived (tired and sandy) in Spokane. The challenge was published while they were only about an hour out of town, so PP was literally bouncing with excitement at her potential FTF. Alas, I couldn't walk with them the next day to the actual cache (had to run to an appointment with still wet feet from doing *.* with them!) but judging from the picture and log all was well at GZ.

WOW!!! Congradulations! Had I even thought about a challenge like this, I would have done them on the West Cost when I was last over there. Ohh well. Of course, if I had all the money to cache, I'd already have done them...

The Steaks