GPSmap 60 info

I'm new to GPS and I just got a GPSmap 60 Garmin. All my local stores I ask for info I have not got any answers.

What do I need to get more detailed maps? I live in Minnesota so I plan on using it for fishing and would like more detail regarding lakes. I also plan on using it for caching and would like some street level maps. Long question short, do I buy software or can I download from somewhere what I need?

Thanks

I'm new to GPS and I just got a GPSmap 60 Garmin. All my local stores I ask for info I have not got any answers.

What do I need to get more detailed maps? I live in Minnesota so I plan on using it for fishing and would like more detail regarding lakes. I also plan on using it for caching and would like some street level maps. Long question short, do I buy software or can I download from somewhere what I need?

Thanks

A good place to start would be the Garmin website: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/

I've just recently got a 60CX and the Topo Canada series of discs gives you pretty good detail and pretty good street level access. City Navigator North America will give you even greater detail in towns and cities, showing various points of interest, hotels, restaurants, etc.

I was told that I should be able to see marshes and bogs but its not that detailed. It does show some pretty small streams and ponds though.

Good Luck, Len

The MN lakemaster is pretty nice, I have used it on Mille and it show hazard buoys and 1 foot depth contours (the list is on the Garmin web site for lakes that have one foot contours). It also shows generic depth contours for quite a few of the lakes in Mn, check the garmin online map viewer to make sure it has the one you want. It does contain roads, good enough to use it for navigation. However, it will not give you turn by turn directions with Mn lakemaster. One other down side is it does require and an unlock code to view the map data in your gps.

Edited by ryan3295

The MN lakemaster is pretty nice, I have used it on Mille and it show hazard buoys and 1 foot depth contours (the list is on the Garmin web site for lakes that have one foot contours). It also shows generic depth contours for quite a few of the lakes in Mn, check the garmin online map viewer to make sure it has the one you want. It does contain roads, good enough to use it for navigation. However, it will not give you turn by turn directions with Mn lakemaster. One other down side is it does require and an unlock code to view the map data in your gps.

I noticed the code thing on the Garmin site. That comes with the CD/DVD right?