7 Deadly Caching Sing "Gluttony" Geocoins

Dr. Whoever

This is the first in the series of the "7 Deadly Caching Sins Geocoins" 'Gluttony'

These are all finished in hard enamels with translucent accent colors, 1.5" x 3mm, Rhodium Edition and Antique Nickel Edition.

Trackable with their own icons. Activate at: www.castlecoinsandpins.com/activate/

Enjoy the first coin in the series - with the rest to follow - ALL Geocaching related with the entire set devoted to those "Seven Deadly Caching Sins" we all see! (Or are even guilty of ourselves!)

The coins are:

Gluttony - Trade Even or trade up!

Greed - Geocoin Hoarders

Wrath - Micro's Hidden in the "Usual Spot"

Lust - FTF Hogs

Sloth - Travel Bug Limbo

Envy - Its all about the numbers

Pride - Log your DNF

Grab these here: 7 Deadly Caching Sins Gluttony

Price: $8.50 each

a90bd0ac-d4d9-414d-b981-2e6103fb9fe5.jpg

3c6475b0-9798-41d1-aa52-28cbdbf2c428.jpg

Edited by Castle Man

I hope everyone enjoys these.. they just get better and more fun the more you look for all the hidden little details I added in!

Im also sure everyone can relate - Im hoping I see some of these traveling from cache to cache - maybe they can be somewhat.. um.. educational?

(Heck, Ive been guilty of a few of those caching sins... Now I'll repent and go make some trades in chat!)

Oooh. Start me out at LUST. And GREED. And ENVY. Those are nice coins.

Q1. Is it possible to pre-order the entire set so I don't run the risk of missing one? Each edition will be coming out at different times. Two this month (Gluttony is now available, Greed on Friday), two more in early September when I return from my 3 week caching trip to Canada and the final three in late September and early October. I will take pre-orders for an entire set, but bear in mind it will be October before the last editions are out and I won't accept payment until I have any item in hand...so bottom line is, it'll be quite a wait.

Q2. "Rhodium" means "shiny"? YES!!, Very, very shiny.

dave

A little bit on Rhodium – taken from an old CRC handbook, a more recent Merck Index and a spot price. (It's no coincidence that there is a chemist on my avitar. :) )

Rhodium is one of the earth’s rarest elements ( 1E-7 % of the earth’s crust). It is a member of the platinum group of elements and is found in conjunction with Pt ores and in some Ni-Cu sulfide ores (the most prevalent commercial source of Rh). It is the most expensive of the metals ~$6k / oz.

Rh finds a number of commercial uses. Its primary use is in Pt alloys – to harden them. It is also used as a corrosion resistant electroplate for silverware and for high reflectivity mirrors. Plated Rh has a high reflectance and is exceptionally hard and durable.

No toxic effects of Rhodium have been observed in experimental animals or man. (The same may not be true of some of its salts – but due to it’s inert nature, you won’t form a trihalide salt in caches.)

All that said, given the cost, I bet there is just a flash of Rh on the geocoins. Still, I’m looking forward to checking the finish out when they come. (I bought a pair with the plan to release one – we’ll see if I can part with it.)

Edited by tokencollector

A little bit on Rhodium – taken from an old CRC handbook, a more recent Merck Index and a spot price. (It's no coincidence that there is a chemist on my avitar. :) )

Rhodium is one of the earth’s rarest elements ( 1E-7 % of the earth’s crust). It is a member of the platinum group of elements and is found in conjunction with Pt ores and in some Ni-Cu sulfide ores (the most prevalent commercial source of Rh). It is the most expensive of the metals ~$6k / oz.

Rh finds a number of commercial uses. Its primary use is in Pt alloys – to harden them. It is also used as a corrosion resistant electroplate for silverware and for high reflectivity mirrors. Plated Rh has a high reflectance and is exceptionally hard and durable.

No toxic effects of Rhodium have been observed in experimental animals or man. (The same may not be true of some of its salts – but due to it’s inert nature, you won’t form a trihalide salt in caches.)

All that said, given the cost, I bet there is just a flash of Rh on the geocoins. Still, I’m looking forward to checking the finish out when they come. (I bought a pair with the plan to release one – we’ll see if I can part with it.)

Now that's good stuff. I can't wait to see an actual Rhodium plated coin. Sounds like that could run $1k or so :)

. . . All that said, given the cost, I bet there is just a flash of Rh on the geocoins.

Now that's good stuff. I can't wait to see an actual Rhodium plated coin. Sounds like that could run $1k or so :D

Don't get me wrong, I presume that if the mint says the coin is Rh plated, it is Rh plated. Like any item that is plated with a precious metal, there is typically only a very thin layer of metal on the surface. Many years ago I plating powders. One of the people I worked with had an electroplating background. The company he previously worked for did gold plating and he described the process as: drop the basket in the tank and give it a few bumps. The items were plated in a second or two. It doesn't take a thick layer of metal to do the job. Or, put another way, a little bit of an expensive metal will go a very long way.

I too am curious about the appearance of the finish and look forward to receiving my coins!

My Rhodium "Gluttony" coin arrived yesterday. I don't know how many times I have returned to maintain caches that I had left loaded to the brim with really nice trade items, just to find them nearly empty and/or filled with litter, dirty range balls and broken fast food toys (sometimes even the log pencils and pens are gone). :D

Great idea for a geocoin and the Rhodium has a deep rich shine! :D

Each edition will be coming out at different times. Two this month (Gluttony is now available, Greed on Friday), two more in early September when I return from my 3 week caching trip to Canada and the final three in late September and early October.

I haven't seen any news about the rest of this series, nor has there been any mention in the newsletter. Are the last five Sins going to be released?

dave

Each edition will be coming out at different times. Two this month (Gluttony is now available, Greed on Friday), two more in early September when I return from my 3 week caching trip to Canada and the final three in late September and early October.

I haven't seen any news about the rest of this series, nor has there been any mention in the newsletter. Are the last five Sins going to be released?

dave

Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't think they're going to be released.

A while ago, when I checked the portfolio on CastleCoinsAndPins.com

http://www.castlecoinsandpins.com/shop/ind...2&chapter=1

I saw "retiring series" in the 7 Caching Sins Geocoin status. :huh: