eTrex Vista® HCx or GPSMAP® 60CSx

aclakey

I have a Vista C, but have used a 60CSx. I prefer the smaller size of the eTrex units, and also prefer the click-stick for navigation around the menus. The new HCx versions have a more sensitive chip, so I think they are the better deal, unless you want the bit larger screen the Map60CSx has.

Thanks for the pics. I am familiar with how the units work, I have been borrowing a 60csx for a few days and playing with it. I used to own a Vista( Nothing I hate more than a thief) and used it for quite some time. I am most interested if there is a difference in performance between the units? Any one shine more than the other?

I have a Vista Cx. Took it back to Wal Mart a few days later when they put out the HCx. I ended up getting the 60 CSx. I could not use it on my motorcycle because the screen was too dim. And, the map page had some issues. Took that back and am now waiting for a Vista HCx.

I also had considered both units. I currently have a Legend C. I went with the Vista Hcx mostly because of the compact size. If I did the majority of my geocaching in the woods I would opt for the larger antenna of the 60 CSX. Since much of my geocaching is urban I like a unit that I can hold in my palm, put in my pocket or even pretend to use as a cell phone as I try to "look natural". Just my nickel.

I also had considered both units. I currently have a Legend C. I went with the Vista Hcx mostly because of the compact size. If I did the majority of my geocaching in the woods I would opt for the larger antenna of the 60 CSX. Since much of my geocaching is urban I like a unit that I can hold in my palm, put in my pocket or even pretend to use as a cell phone as I try to "look natural". Just my nickel.

Nice idea.

I'm in the same boat you are. The antennae type on the 60 is different. They call it a quadhelix or something like that. According to the Garmin guy on the phone you don't have to hold it parallel to the sky to get the best signal. The antennae will get the best signal nomatter how you angle it. And they have a $50 rebate on the 60scx so that brings the cost a little closer.

What I don't know is how the SIRF star III in the 60CSx compares to whatever is in the Vista HCx. Anybody have any info on this?

There a thread by me with a comparison of both unit side to side. I'm too lazy to go find it, maybe in the 1st 3 pages. Both unit are VERY CLOSE but a slight edge on the HCx. You should really not care about this anyway, choose the form factor you prefer instead.

What I don't know is how the SIRF star III in the 60CSx compares to whatever is in the Vista HCx. Anybody have any info on this?

There a thread by me with a comparison of both unit side to side. I'm too lazy to go find it, maybe in the 1st 3 pages. Both unit are VERY CLOSE but a slight edge on the HCx. You should really not care about this anyway, choose the form factor you prefer instead.

Thanks, I will look for it.

Does the HCx do turn by turn routing like the 60CSx does? I played with this feature last night and liked what it can do.