I have a special request

I have set a cache on a very special island: often considered the birthplace of Christianity for Scotland. Indeed Macbeth himself is buried there, and today it is a thriving community.

I have noticed that the GC???? number which would name the island has never been issued, and wonder whether it is appropriate even to dream that it could be allocated to this very special place. The cache itself remembers three brave and unknown men.

I know the host of precedents that would be set ...... but perhaps, just perhaps a little flexibility might apply - or would you haul me over the coals for even asking? Even though its only a 2 star cache it took ten days for it to have its FTF: its not the centre of the universe.

OK .... dont launch too many brickbats at me please ..... :):P

I like the idea of a custom GC#. As you predict, everyone and their mother would want to have their own, individualized GC# for their cache hides, so the precident would be set. Perhaps it could be a revenue stream? Maybe $50, and that includes a 1 year premium membership (effective immediately or once current membership expires).

And this should probably be in the website forum...

Fizzy would get upset as it would throw off some of his analysis of Geocaching growth to retroactively assign a name out of sequence.

The GC number should never really mean anything - it is only a unique reference to the listing.

GCMOHO, anyone?

:P

michelle

Is that in relation to Mopar and Geoho? :):)

Fizzy would get upset as it would throw off some of his analysis of Geocaching growth to retroactively assign a name out of sequence.

The GC number should never really mean anything - it is only a unique reference to the listing.

GCMOHO, anyone?

:)

michelle

I could be wrong but I think that was an existing, unused one that was "adopted".

GCMOHO, anyone?

michelle

I could be wrong but I think that was an existing, unused one that was "adopted".

I do remember a thread where Mopar brought this up. It seems like he somehow was able to get GC.com to issue it for their event. My memory is going so of course i could be wrong myself!

GCMOHO, anyone?

michelle

There was some swappage involved. My point was more that, even though there was background noise to get that particular GC number, it did mean something.

It was not on topic, in regards to the OP. My bad. Unfortunately you can't apply for a Vanity GC Number for any particular cache.

Although it may be something that should be brought up in the website forum... there might be money to be made off of that idea.

michelle

We could always just start a second identifier set of "vanity" IDs..a cache would have a regularly-assigned number and a vanity ID of five-ish letters and numbers that would cost, say, $10-$20. Throw them in a special set, like,

VXXXXX

The point here is, pay a little money, get an easy-to-recognize identifier.

Of course, the big question here is...why?