Found Benchmarks not logged to NGS

Nakedbamboo

Curious about something I came across where someone logs a find on a benchmark on GC, but they do not log it the NGS people. Would this be something I could do for them, or would you alert Deb to the posting on GC or something? There are perfectly clear pictures of the mark and everything. It looks like they just didn't alert NGS (which I realize is optional, but would provide useful data.) They mark in question is GH0885. I realize it was found way back in 2002, but that would be a useful data point, I would think, to know it is still around.

GH0897 was also found "destroyed" which I realize could be questionable even with photos, but might warrant an NGS log.

The reason I ask is that these are marked as Monumented in the NGS database with no history after that, and then I go to GC and find that someone found them. I was looking for marks that hadn't been found, so I could have the excitment of being the first.

Nakedbamboo -

Your idea has merit in wanting to find a way to share useful information with the NGS, but I think it would nevertheless not be a good thing to do. The NGS does want reports but they really must be from the actual observer. When you do an NGS report they ask for your name and then what name would you give? It can't be yours since you didn't do the finding and you really shouldn't speak to the NGS on the behalf of another benchmark hunter and give their name instead of yours. I think this just wouldn't work.

Professional surveyors, from time to time, have expressed in this forum that they and their colleagues do look at the geocaching site for information and they have said how much they appreciate its information. I have no idea of what percentage of surveyors that need to look for benchmarks know about the benchmarking site, but some do, and use it.

I'd also say no.

If you, yourself, go back out and check on it personally, then yes, you can log it with the NGS.

I had one benchmark declared destroyed 2 months after a "good" report was logged with the NGS. Along a railroad, workers pulled a concrete post up while laying fiber optic cable.

Yes, I know you could log with the NGS using that old date, but I still think it would be a bad idea.

Actually, I think this topic was brought up not too long ago.

-Scott

Add me to the list of not reporting others finds to the NGS. While the intention is good, it can lead to lots of SNAFUs.

I admit, we have found several BMs that have not been reported to the NGS in some time, if ever. We genreally do not report them either. It's not because we don't want to give the information (we do), but because we don't feel competent enough to report them (measurements, directions might be a bit off or something). There have been some cases where we have reported a recovery. The most recent being this BM - QM0666.

I admit, we have found several BMs that have not been reported to the NGS in some time, if ever. We genreally do not report them either. It's not because we don't want to give the information (we do), but because we don't feel competent enough to report them (measurements, directions might be a bit off or something).

I'll generally report to NGS any station that I find that has not been reported in a few years. I don't worry about measurements or directions, unless there's some important information to add. If I have the picture of the station,I'm pretty sure that I have found it. :) I'll add my GPS readings for scaled stations, if the coords are bad.

I'm still tryind to decide how to report last weekend's find. KV5785 I followed the GPS to the station, and found it and the two reference marks without too much trouble. I parked near a cache, and followed a series of paths and ATV trails across lands posted by Longwood Lake Property Owners. (The passing ATVers waved at me.) The top of the mountain appears to be posted by NJ Dept of Conservation. None of the maps show the station to be within DOD property. Even the reports that say it is refer to the posted sign as being 40 feet away. And, I'll be darned if I can find the powerlines referred to! And these were major powerlines, according to the description. So, I may just note that I found the station and reference marks without any added information.

As to posating other benchmarkers finds to NGS. Nope. I can only report what I have seen.

I would like to say that it is *Always* best to wait until you have recovered marks for several months to acquire knowledge and skills that come only with finding marks. This may increase the possibility that you have all of the "Correct Information" to give to the NGS.

There is nothing worse (in the overall opinion of the regulars posting to this forum) than to have logged a report, on GC and have the next person find it is in error. And it is really frowned upon if anyone from GC logs with the NGS and it is found to be an error. Anyone who reports to the NGS should try to be as accurate as possible.

GC reporting is fun and easy. You can be as long winded as you want and crow about those "First to Finds" or "Really Old" ones or the ones that you had to go back several times before finding the mark. These forums allow anyone to show what they have accomplished. Do that for awhile and learn the ropes. Just have fun. :)

Shirley~