Sleeping Bags - Quilts - Recs?

I'm in the market for a new bag.

I have a men's regular MH Phantom 32 deg bag, purchased after a fair bit of review reading (but not Real User Reviews which are different), that I am 100% not fond of. The bag is great for packed size/weight... but I have a few issues with it.

It's too big, and it's not warm enough. If I wear the full gamut of clothing (polypro pants/top and wool socks) and cinch the hood down, I don't wake up throughout the night because I'm too cold... but I think I can do better on the bag front.

I'm currently looking at the MontBell Super Stretch Down #3 or #4 (a 35 deg bag)... thinking that the #3 would be a better 'fit'.

I am also considering the Western Mountaineering line, but unsure of the bags under consideration. The most used/purchased/talked about are wide-cut bags, which may not be ideal for me. Unfortunately, it's hard to find these bags in any store around here so recommending that I go lay down in a few isn't quite a cut and dried proposition.

Also, mtbikerate mentioned his quilts. Another avenue I've been thinking about. I've got some time, and empty floor space to give it a go. It would be a fun, and productive exercise, with a usable product in the end. mtbikernate... are you on PBF? If so, I've seen your quilts... I'd love more information on those!

michelle

www.bigagnes.com

Wins the prize. A little goofy looking, but I've never slept better than in my Big Agnes bag. The only thing I'd change is the rating-I'd go for 15 instead of 0 and save some weight. My hubby's is rated to 15 and is small, light, generally super packable.

Anyhow, the general idea behind Big Agnes is that they have nothing but nylon on the bottom of the bag; you buy an inflatable mattress that's a bit of a pain to blow up, but it fits in the bag so you have a great surface to sleep on and you're not squishing all the down or whatever when you're sleeping. You can't roll off the pad either. I never used to be able to sleep a whole night through in a sleeping bag, and in this thing I don't do anything but.

I've been happy with the down bags from campmor. For down the price is nice. They are very light and preetty warm. They don't lose much of their down and the zippers work as well as any sleeping bag zippers.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...productId=86902

Since I have a front loading washing machine I can wash them when ever they need it, but it does take a very long time for down to dry even with a gas dryer. Washing any sleeping bad makes it lose some of it's loft but at least I don't have to take these to a dry cleaner or a laundry mat.

They don't even sell top loading washing machines in England and I assume the rest of Europe.

I am indeed on PBF. Glad you liked what you saw. There are plenty of other examples on that site, also with minor variations from what I made. What additional information would you like on mine?

The big reasons I went with a down quilt are because I move a lot when I sleep, and I often get too warm, and need to vent some heat. A mummy bag is too confining, and even a rectangular bag doesn't give me the freedom to move as I wish. With a quilt, it doesn't matter how I move or how much leg I want to stick out from underneath it to vent some heat. I can also cinch mine up around me nice and snug to hold heat in when necessary. When it's really cold, I can even velcro a piece of fabric to the underside of it to completely close it off and eliminate any drafts for good.

MBN -

Did you buy a kit from thru-hiker? I haven't looked for the actual thread your quilts are in, but your photos were on the top of the board this morning... it was a random sort of putting the puzzle together... wait a minute... I think I know who that guy is.

Anyway... I need to do more reading, and maybe just go for it. Your photos are well done IRT the steps and how you put it all together, which is quite nice.

Thoughts on making sure 'my' quilt is warm enough for me? I sleep cold... I am awake cold... Always cold. The warmer the better - I can always stick a leg or arm out to cool down if heat is a problem!

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

I have a GoLite 20* featherbag...works awesome. Summer though, I use a quilt by kifaru its called the woobie. This thing works great during warmer weather. PErsonaly, I use a hammock sleep system, and the woobie keeps me very warm topside. I slept out in May in about a 40* night, and slept fine. But, it depends on your level of comfort.

I bought the kit from thru-hiker because it saved a little money that way, but I did not follow the directions. I also bought a couple extra supplies for features the thru-hiker kit did not include. The two links below are links to threads I started. I actually made two quilts...one for myself and one for my wife.

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums...read.php?t=1770

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums...read.php?t=2344

A few others on the site made quilts, too, and their threads are next.

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums...read.php?t=1901

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums...read.php?t=2293

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums...read.php?t=2753

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums...read.php?t=1034

My quilt was really inspired by neatoman's quilt (http://home.comcast.net/~neatoman/quilt.htm), which was mentioned in Hanger's quilt page (4th in the list).

Now, as for determining how much insulation you need, that's a sticky issue. There's no really good way to figure that out. I went pretty much according to the chart on the thru-hiker quilt kit instructions page (http://www.thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=5&cid=6). If you know you're cold in general, and that you sleep particularly cold, then you'll want to add more insulation. How much more is going to be up to you based upon your experience with other down products (how much loft does your existing bag have, what is the quality of that down, and how much extra insulation do you need to keep you warm at the bag's rated temperature?). You may also want to consider additional techniques or features to increase your warmth.

Keep in mind that a quilt does not have a hood, and since most of your heat is lost through your head, you will have to deal with that at night. If you already have a nice, warm, cozy hat, then you can use that. If not, then you'll need to come up with something. Ray Jardine's site has a kit for a hood intended to be used with a quilt. Ray Jardine likes his synthetic insulation, though. Also, making sure you have a footbox in your quilt will be important (whether it's permanent or able to be opened is up to you), and you may also want to give the quilt a little bit of extra length and width to make sure you can really pull it snug around you to seal out drafts.

If your issue is being cold I don't think a quilt is the answer.

There are a lot of good bags out there. I think one issue you have is that your bag was too big. That means your body wastes heat, heating up the space in the bag. You would probably be warmer in a properly fitted bag of the same degree rating.

I really can't recommend a specific bag because I haven't researched them. I can say that my Kelty is nowhere close to it's supposed 0 degree rating. It gets nippy when its in the 20's.

Also, my wife who is also a cold sleeper isn't very happy with her LaFuma bag which was rated at 40 degrees. She says she froze her tootsies off on our last trip and it was barely down into the 40's.

Brian does have a point...many of the mass manufactured bags are a little optimistic with their temp ratings. I have a couple Lafuma bags that are pretty optimistic. They say something about an extreme rating of 32F or something, but anything below 45 is horribly uncomfortable, and I'm a warm-bodied person. It's worse for my wife who is smaller and colder than I am. Few manufacturers seem to avoid this for even the average person. Feathered Friends, Nunatak USA, and Western Mountaineering seem to have a more conservative temperature rating system, but even still, if you know you're especially cold bodied, it might not be enough.

But, quilts are not necessarily colder than a sleeping bag. If you don't have enough fabric to pull snug around your body, then yes, you CAN be cold. But, you can remedy this situation to some degree, as I mentioned earlier, by attaching velcro to the edges, and using that velcro to attach a fabric bottom to the quilt to make sure it stays pulled around your body. Since your pad is supposed to do the insulating between you and the ground, you have no need for down there. Just make sure your pad insulates well enough and you'll be fine.

I took my quilt on a trip where nighttime temps varied by 20 degrees over the course of a 3 night trip. Had I brought a mummy bag that kept me warm at the coldest of those temps, I would have been suffering badly on the warmer nights. With the quilt, I had a much wider comfort range and I was able to snuggle up on the cool night, and air out on the warm night. Imagine...I could even micro-adjust over the course of a single night as it got colder. Start out with lots of venting (one leg hanging out) and then cinch things up as it gets colder. You just don't have those options with a regular bag. I even have the option to use the quilt as an overbag with my existing (overrated) lafuma bag for true deep winter camping.

Now, since you're considering making a quilt yourself, you can really tailor it to your measurements to make sure you're not trying to heat up too much bag for your metabolism to handle. You could go so far as to make a regular sleeping bag, but now that I own a quilt, I really think that quilts are indeed better.

Had I brought a mummy bag that kept me warm at the coldest of those temps, I would have been suffering badly on the warmer nights.

You just unzip the bag when it's warmer and use it like a quilt.

I actually like the idea of a quilt or blanket and have brought one instead of a bag when backpacking. If it's real hot I've gone with just a flannel sheet. But when it's real cold there is no substitute for a good bag.

Had I brought a mummy bag that kept me warm at the coldest of those temps, I would have been suffering badly on the warmer nights.

I actually like the idea of a quilt or blanket and have brought one instead of a bag when backpacking. If it's real hot I've gone with just a flannel sheet. But when it's real cold there is no substitute for a good bag.

My new mummy bag only zips half way down.... :D

Also, my wife who is also a cold sleeper isn't very happy with her LaFuma bag which was rated at 40 degrees. She says she froze her tootsies off on our last trip and it was barely down into the 40's.

On a side note. Cold feet in a bag is normally caused by losing heat via the head. Wear a beanie or use the hood to warm the head and the body should not remove heat from the extremeties.

It really doesn't work all that well with most mummy bags. Like another poster mentioned, many only have zippers halfway down, and some don't have zippers at all. My biggest problem, though, is the hood. Whenever I tried using a mummy bag as a quilt, the hood ALWAYS ended up on my face. I also use a sheet when it's especially warm out. Sometimes, I don't even sleep underneath it. A rectangular or semi-rectangular bag would be easier to use as a quilt, but seriously, why not just get a quilt if that's what you're using?

I do agree, though, that quilts aren't the best option for extreme cold. I wouldn't go colder than 20F really with a quilt alone. Using one as an overbag over a 40F mummy bag might get you an extra 10-15F out of it. For 3 season use, however (or, 2 season...Spring/Fall in most of the country), I would opt for a quilt most of the time. Even then, considering last winter, my quilt would have been fine for all but about a week.

I have a Slumberjack mummy bag, rated at 0 degrees, weight 1.2 pounds (about 8 years old). It keeps me pretty warm but not until the 20's do I start thinking it's cool out, I run hot all the time for some reason :unsure: I usually throw in a fleece blanket or fleece bag if it's real cold (to me). I know this isn't probably the best thing to do but I can't sleep otherwise, I sleep in the buff, even when I'm in the back country. I keep a pair of shorts and tee inside my bag with me (this has only backfired on me once in Glacier National Park where I was approached by a Park Ranger and had to explain why I couldn;t get out of my sleeping bag at the moment at which time he grinned at me....lol). The bodyheat seems to flow better without clothes, helps me stay warmer in cooler weather and cooler in warmer weather when I just use the fleece part. I realize most women are NOT going to do what I do but I'm usually so far away from civilzation, it doesn't matter. Anyone else sleep in the buff and find that they sleep better in their bags?

P.S. Don;t ask me where I backpack....lol

tsun :laughing:

I have a Slumberjack mummy bag, rated at 0 degrees, weight 1.2 pounds (about 8 years old). It keeps me pretty warm but not until the 20's do I start thinking it's cool out, I run hot all the time for some reason :( I usually throw in a fleece blanket or fleece bag if it's real cold (to me). I know this isn't probably the best thing to do but I can't sleep otherwise, I sleep in the buff, even when I'm in the back country. I keep a pair of shorts and tee inside my bag with me (this has only backfired on me once in Glacier National Park where I was approached by a Park Ranger and had to explain why I couldn;t get out of my sleeping bag at the moment at which time he grinned at me....lol). The bodyheat seems to flow better without clothes, helps me stay warmer in cooler weather and cooler in warmer weather when I just use the fleece part. I realize most women are NOT going to do what I do but I'm usually so far away from civilzation, it doesn't matter. Anyone else sleep in the buff and find that they sleep better in their bags?

P.S. Don;t ask me where I backpack....lol

tsun :D

I tend to sleep better in the buff. I wear clothes in the bag only if I think the weather is going to drop on me and I don't want to putz around with putting on extra layers. However, I found in my new mummy bag, that isn't real conducive to a comfortable sleep as I already feel claustrophobic without the added constriction of the clothing.

I tend to sleep better in the buff. I wear clothes in the bag only if I think the weather is going to drop on me and I don't want to putz around with putting on extra layers. However, I found in my new mummy bag, that isn't real conducive to a comfortable sleep as I already feel claustrophobic without the added constriction of the clothing.

What bag did you end up getting, TL?

I would PREFER to sleep w/o clothing... and sleep better that way, but I've not yet had a night out in the sleeping bag that was warm enough to get me to peel off even the least of my layers (usually my socks would be the first to go, and a good indicator of how 'warm' I was throughout the night).

Since my 'cold' issues are more exacerbated than most (I have Reynaud's), maintaining my core temp is of the utmost importance and then working to keep my extremities warm is key. Allowing myself to get cold always ends up with me in a pretty bad situation. I try to avoid that at all costs.

:(

michelle

What bag did you end up getting, TL?

I would PREFER to sleep w/o clothing... and sleep better that way, but I've not yet had a night out in the sleeping bag that was warm enough to get me to peel off even the least of my layers (usually my socks would be the first to go, and a good indicator of how 'warm' I was throughout the night).

Since my 'cold' issues are more exacerbated than most (I have Reynaud's), maintaining my core temp is of the utmost importance and then working to keep my extremities warm is key. Allowing myself to get cold always ends up with me in a pretty bad situation. I try to avoid that at all costs.

^_^

michelle

I got Slumberjack Fissure 40° Polarguard® 3D Mummy Sleeping Bag from Campmor for USD $49.97. At 1.5 lbs, I ended up knocking off 4.5 lbs weight by going to this bag.

www.bigagnes.com

Wins the prize. A little goofy looking, but I've never slept better than in my Big Agnes bag. The only thing I'd change is the rating-I'd go for 15 instead of 0 and save some weight. My hubby's is rated to 15 and is small, light, generally super packable.

Anyhow, the general idea behind Big Agnes is that they have nothing but nylon on the bottom of the bag; you buy an inflatable mattress that's a bit of a pain to blow up, but it fits in the bag so you have a great surface to sleep on and you're not squishing all the down or whatever when you're sleeping. You can't roll off the pad either. I never used to be able to sleep a whole night through in a sleeping bag, and in this thing I don't do anything but.

Big Agnes rules!

They're a great company for customer service as well.

I did my research and decided on a specific bag but it was made to accommodate a 17" Thermarest.

Well, I'm 6'5" and I use a 25" T'rest and I'm not going to change.

When I called BA I spoke to the owner and explained my problem. He suggested that they do a special modification to accommodate my 25" pad! How do you like that for service?

Anyway, it's a great product!

Forget the retailers. They only carry a limited selection of BA products They're online web site is the best place to buy.

I'm liking that Big Agnes. I'm looking to replace my old, zero degree bag and that is now on the top of my list.

And just think of all the potential jokes at the campfire...."Well I'm going back to my tent to sleep with Big Agnes" and the sort...

Yeah, I think that's a running joke and they're on to it as well.

How many times has this exchange taken place?

Camper 1: "Wow,it sure is cold tonight."

Camper 2: "Yep, it sure is. Good thing I got Big Agnes to keep me warm."

Camper 1: ?

Buy a woman specific bag that fits. I got a Mojave 10 degree women's bag from REI on sale. It fits, and it's warm, and it packs small! For car/summer camping I use LLBean's Burrito bag. It has a fleece blanket sewed into the zipper, you can use the fleece only, the other half of the bag or both together. Both work great for me!

www.bigagnes.com

I'll second the vote for Big Agnes. We have a couple of bags we use for car camping, and we love them.
www.bigagnes.com

I'll second the vote for Big Agnes. We have a couple of bags we use for car camping, and we love them.

I had put some long hard thought into the BA and had to say I didn't like the fact the loft was removed from the backside instead opting for the pad to be slipped into the slot. I use the pad as an additiional thermal layer to augment what the bag has to offer. You lose that with the BA.

www.bigagnes.com

I had put some long hard thought into the BA and had to say I didn't like the fact the loft was removed from the backside instead opting for the pad to be slipped into the slot. I use the pad as an additiional thermal layer to augment what the bag has to offer. You lose that with the BA.

They do have two types of pads, insulated and not insulated. I don't know if that makes a difference to you.

www.bigagnes.com

They do have two types of pads, insulated and not insulated. I don't know if that makes a difference to you.

Nope. I took the insulated pad into consideration and decided the thermal layer in addition to the pad was not a bad thing to have. I have slept without enough thermal layer on the ground and I have slept with too much. With too much, I can open the bag and ventilate. Without enough, I have to pack something extra to make up for the loss. I applaud the pad pocket, I deplore the loss of the thermal layer. I think there should be another bag that has it.

www.bigagnes.com

I think the idea is that because your body compresses the filling it provides very little insulation anyway. I'm also seriously thinking of getting one. I know someone who has one and says it's the best bag he's ever owned.

My favorite bag is a rectangular down bag from LLBean. It's got plenty of space to move around and even to roll over when fully zipped, and when its warm, it easily unzips for use like a quilt. I believe it is rated for 30 degrees (F): I've used it in a tent down to probably 20 degrees outside, and it was plenty warm. I went with LLBean because of the no hassle customer satisfaction warranty that goes with their gear.

In really cold weather, which I really try to avoid these days, I pull out my Snow Lion down mummy bag. I bought that bag back in the early 70's, and it has been used hard, but it keeps on ticking. Unfortunately, it's now starting to fall apart, so its life is almost up. Anyway, the bag was great in its day, with a full zip and elephant foot, which made it pretty comfortable for a mummy bag. But even with those features, it's too confining for my tastes these days.

My favorite bag is a rectangular down bag from LLBean. It's got plenty of space to move around and even to roll over when fully zipped, and when its warm, it easily unzips for use like a quilt

One important point. Rectangular bags are OK for car camping and sleepovers, but not really suitable for backpacking. They are heavier than a mummy bag of an equal degree rating and because of the shape there is more area for your body to heat.

My favorite bag is a rectangular down bag from LLBean. It's got plenty of space to move around and even to roll over when fully zipped, and when its warm, it easily unzips for use like a quilt

One important point. Rectangular bags are OK for car camping and sleepovers, but not really suitable for backpacking. They are heavier than a mummy bag of an equal degree rating and because of the shape there is more area for your body to heat.

I disagree with the first part of your point about the suitability of rectangular bags for hiking.

My down rectangular sleeping bag has seen its share of car camping, backpacking, biking, and canoing trips, and it has performed just fine.

I agree (to a degree) with the latter part of your point regarding the relative efficiency of rectangular bags.

For a given temperature rating, a mummy bag will weigh less than a rectangular bag IF both are made from the same types of materials. However, a down rectangular bag is usually lighter for a given temperature rating than a synthetic fill mummy bag of the same temperature rating.

Life simply presents a lot of choices.

My choice is the down rectangular bag (rated at 30 degrees) to about 20 degrees (F) outside temperature assuming I'll be in a tent, with comfort being the driving force. This is probably good for 95% of the camping days I'm able to capture these days. Below 20 degrees (F) outside, I'd definitely pull out the old down mummy bag.

Hmmm...a new thread? Down Vs Synthetic? :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I just got interested in the quilt thing, also registered on pbf, so thanks for those resources.

I have a Sierra Designs Van Winkle long (down, rated to 15 degrees). I'm hot blooded as all get out, it has to be mid 30's temperature to get me out of my t-shirts and into just a polar tech vest. My bag does great for me, but I often open it up and use it like a quilt (again, hmmmm). One thing I use that's great is a silk liner for the bag (bag and liner from REI). That thing is great, let's me be comfortable with the bag unzipped, and it does add a few degrees warmth to the overall bag. Plus, I launder the liner and not the bag. Try REI and see if their offereings for women make sense, but I like the quilt idea too. REI bags are offered in different materials of course, but they have a wide range of widths and lengths that may appeal to you.

If your issue is being cold I don't think a quilt is the answer.

There are a lot of good bags out there. I think one issue you have is that your bag was too big. That means your body wastes heat, heating up the space in the bag. You would probably be warmer in a properly fitted bag of the same degree rating.

I really can't recommend a specific bag because I haven't researched them. I can say that my Kelty is nowhere close to it's supposed 0 degree rating. It gets nippy when its in the 20's.

Like Brian said, that bag could bo to large.

What type of pad do you have under the bag to inslutate the bag from the cold ground?

One of the problems with temp rattings on sleeping bags is that there is no real industry standard, anothet problem with Temp rattings is that no two people are going to be comfortable at the same temp.

When I was selling sleeping bags I would tell my customers that the rattings meant you would survive at the listed temp.

I'm old enough to have hauled a Duluth pack with all the old gear left from Pop (still wear his old HEAVY woolrich coat in bitter weather, though.) With CJ becoming more interested, I've become the pack monster, carrying over a quarter of my weight. She's simply not built for lugging.

Now that I'M past eligility age for AARP, things are changin'...

In our ongoing search for going light(er), we read reviews, e-mailed questions and bugged every salesperson in a 50 mile radius with more questions.

Have to agree with Marcjboudreau, can't beat Western Mountaineering... sure the price is a bit high, but you have a quality bag with a lifetime warranty. And light - We didn't find many of those odd quilt thingys as light.

My fav so far ? W.M. Highlite, a 35 degree bag, at 1 lb.

Runner up is a Lafuma Pro650, a 30 degree bag, at 1 lb; 5oz.

Cache safe.

For lighter gear, check out GoLite. I also have a 20* down bag from them, which weighs in at less than a pound. I used it last winter, in a cold snap, on a lake...I survived, and the temp was WELL below the bags rating. I also had a bivy sack, in a tent too, but, even then, I doubt it hit *20 inside.