Brand New to this sport

Max & Ruby

:) We are brand new at this sport. I have read a number of postings and articles about this activity and I am still a little confused as to what we really need to get going. Do you need the the topo map CD"S? I don't think so. If I understand what I have read, you need a GPS and a piece of software to download the waypoints to the GPS. It appears that EasyGPS will do this. I have never used a GPS and will of course need to learn the basics of these units also. As to which unit to purchase, I can see from the postings that there is a lot of varied opinions on this. Some guidance please!

All you need is a GPS. I'm running on a Mac, and because it's an old one I can't download anything to my GPS from it.

Basically to enter a waypoint, just press mark, then change the name and the coordinates. You can also use the Garmin plugin which embeds directly in the cache listings.

And about which unit to choose....

Since you never used a GPS before, you may consider buying a basic unit (like a GPS60 or eTrex H), and if you like it very much (or when you'll become used to GPSr's), then buy a more expensive one.

We just use the Garmin Etrex...it's simple and easy to use and it doesn't need a lot of figuring out...though i did get some helpful tips at the Spring Fling...i haven't actually hookedup the cable yet to download caches...i've just been kinda lazy with that...so i just enter in the coordinates and away we go...i don't have the topo maps or anything but i do use google or mapquest...i personally hate the new mapping system on the site so i find directions elsewhere...

hope this helps some...

My first 800 caches were just using a GPS, a camera, and keeping a pencil nearby.

I dont think I could ever go back now though... all my gadgets are "mandatory"...

Use the GPS to punch in the coordinates, and use an internet mapping program to figure out the roads to get there. That is all you need!

All you really need is a gps a writing utensil and a sense of adventure. As to the type of GPS you will get a lot of varied opinions. My suggestion is get the best model you can afford. right now may be an excellent time to be a consumer too as Garmin just introduced a new series and the older ones should be at a bit of a deal soon. rumour has it that the vista is a good unit to use. Do your research on pricing lots of places will do price matching. As to maps they are not necessary but can be helpful, but then again I am a map geek so my opinion may be biased. I am saving up for topo Canada right now. If you buy a garmin gps you can download your waypoints directly from the geocaching website with a quick download from garmin. I have used this feature a few times and it works well.

having said all that Personally I use GSAK, Mapsource and, cachemate (palm utility for paperless caching) to keep myself organized. GSAK is a shareware program that is very detailed and well thought out. It does have a steep learning curve but the things it does :D .

But the most important thing to have is a sense of adventure and determination. the sense of adventure will keep you going out, the determination will keep you looking when it seems that the cache just isn't there.

Enjoy

BTW it may be possible that there is someone in your area who would be willing to show you the ropes.

:D I would like to thank everyone for the advise. It seems that the Garmin is the GPS of choice. We are also interested in paperless cashing as I aready have a Palm T5. The thing is that it is very hard to read in sunlight? I know that Garmin has a new chip set out ( they refer to it as "H" ) and the units are for sale on some of the on-line suppliers now. We will keep a sharp eye out for deals!

While this thread is focused on the technology of Geocaching one must not forget the basic equipment one should have for any hike. The foremost thing that comes to mind, particularly with the hot weather we are getting now in Southern Ontario, is to take plenty of water. Factor in 1 litre for every hour and you should be fine. Things I've found to also be useful are food, appropriate clothing and a good pair of shoes. Others I'm sure would add bug spray, flashlight, bandaids, sunscreen and a map. Many caches are quite easy to get at but some, like many of mine, are well off the beaten track and require more effort than one might think.