GeoJournal - a new Mac Geocaching management app

I downloaded it last night and was sad to find it doesn't support the Garmin GPS-76, only GPSMap-76. I also noticed it doesn't like the .GPX files created by Mac SimpleGPS.

Geojournal uses GPSBabel for GPS communications. While it's not explictly called out on the list of the scores of Garmins supported, I'm reasonably sure it should work.

Did you actually try it and fail or did you get psyched out by the absence of it in the lis

Unfortunately, there are still too many things I use GSAK to do that this doesn't, so I guess I'm going to need to keep my windoze laptop around for a little while longer.

--Marky

What things? Just curious.

One big one is customized waypoint names. I name my waypoints in a particular way, so that I see the GC number, the type, the difficulty, the terrain, the container size and the cache name (compressed). I also put the hint into the comment field of the waypoint. This is a huge deal breaker for me. I'm sure it's no big deal for others.

Advanced filtering, such as filtering out caches where the last four logs are DNFs, caches only at highway exits (much better than caches along a route).

Persistent corrected coordinates. If I solve a puzzle, I want to be able to enter corrected coordinates, and have them persist even if I reload the waypoint again.

I could go on...

Unfortunately, there are still too many things I use GSAK to do that this doesn't, so I guess I'm going to need to keep my windoze laptop around for a little while longer.

--Marky

What things? Just curious.

To automatically make items as FOUND when importing the gps from geocaching.com ( Actually I was told this will be added in a near release ..)

Id like to see it send the waypoint images (custom symbol) for traditional caches, multicache, mystery, earth caches.

SEE HERE FOR INFO AND IMAGES My Webpage

Id also need to see import of "found cachemate logs" so not to have to relog everything, and auto logging to geocaching.com would be next step.

I guess some onf there could be esur created features, as they are done in GSAK by using macros. Perhaps even using APPLE SCRIPTS?

This all makes paperless GC'ing and a geocaching suite like GSAK does. I really hope these things could get done so we could get rid of Windows completely. I personally love SSAK but hate to use windows.

And id pay for this to get done.

Auto-logging is against Teamspeak Terms of Use I believe.

Well let me rephrase that, It automatically brings you to the cache "log find" page. And you enter the info, log it .. and then click next on the macro page and then the next "log find " cache page opens, etc.

It does what GEoexpress logger does. But its built into GSAK. Id like to have a one stop shop app.

Edited by jchiar

Hey Everyone,

I'm absolutely elated that there's a lot of discussion about GeoJournal. I'm taking notes and putting together a list for updates and feature additions. In response to the interest that the application has generated, I am putting up a dedicated forum on www.geoingenuity.com to handle the specific topics you are bringing up here, and anything else related to the application. I also want to be respectful to geocaching.com, and not take up thier forums and resources.

The forums are not up yet, but I am configuring the software and I should have it up by tonight. Once I do, I will update everyone in this thread and we can move all discussion over to that venue.

Thanks!

Rich

Edited by Curious Technology

That's excellent Rich. I really would love to go "all Mac" with my caching, and the fact that you use gpsbabel as your backend makes me think that this could end up being the tool I use if I can get the features I need. :mad: I'll definitely be participating when you get your forums up and running.

--Marky

just downloaded it, seems ok,

major points i have found so far. GSAK is the only thing i have missed since changing to mac.

1. make it so the window can be resized, cos the bottom is underneath my dock on my macbook 13. so i cant read some of the stuff at the very bottom.

2. entering home co ords is not very clear, and i found i had to convert them from dd mm.mmm formt to dd.dddd for them to be even close to my home location. this is pretty stupid seeing as all caches are in dd mm.mmm format.

3. need to be able to have a list of them in GCXXXX naming format.

other than that seems ok to me, i havnt put it through its paces yet tho cos my palm is bust and im waiting to get a new one.

1. make it so the window can be resized, cos the bottom is underneath my dock on my macbook 13. so i cant read some of the stuff at the very bottom.

click on that little apple thingie in the top left of your screen, click on system preferences, click on dock, and then click on the very bottom checkbox so it has a check in it. While you're there you can slide the top slider over towards the left a bit if you want. Experiment with the magnifications setting also. You can get quite a bit of screen real estate back with these simple tweaks.

Edited by sduck

click on that little apple thingie in the top left of your screen, click on system preferences, click on dock, and then click on the very bottom checkbox so it has a check in it. While you're there you can slide the top slider over towards the left a bit if you want. Experiment with the magnifications setting also. You can get quite a bit of screen real estate back with these simple tweaks.

i know how to hide the dock, i just dont want to. this is the only programme that has caused this problem. all others fit with pleanty of space.

One of the system req's for GJ is a screen resolution of at least 1024x768. I think this is the reason for your trouble. But you're correct - a resizable window would be nice to have. Nice suggestion.

my resolution is 1280x800. its just ive got a widescreen laptop, so the dock covers part of it.

One of the system req's for GJ is a screen resolution of at least 1024x768. I think this is the reason for your trouble. But you're correct - a resizable window would be nice to have. Nice suggestion.

my resolution is 1280x800. its just ive got a widescreen laptop, so the dock covers part of it.

Sorry if I sounded smarmy in my previous post. Sometimes I don't have all the clues I need. Turning on dock hiding is pretty standard for most mac users, and often when I see someone who doesn't use it it's because they don't know they can.

I also have a macbook with the 13" widescreen, and I've tried several options that keep the dock visible to emulate your situation. With the dock still visible, if you reduce the size of it enough you can still see all of the geojournal screen. Actually, in my case, with 45 icons in my dock, it won't get big enough anyway to get in the way.

Although I think your request is valid - a resizeable screen is pretty de-rigeur in the mac and windows world, and would be a nice addition.

Sorry if I sounded smarmy in my previous post. Sometimes I don't have all the clues I need. Turning on dock hiding is pretty standard for most mac users, and often when I see someone who doesn't use it it's because they don't know they can.

I also have a macbook with the 13" widescreen, and I've tried several options that keep the dock visible to emulate your situation. With the dock still visible, if you reduce the size of it enough you can still see all of the geojournal screen. Actually, in my case, with 45 icons in my dock, it won't get big enough anyway to get in the way.

Although I think your request is valid - a resizeable screen is pretty de-rigeur in the mac and windows world, and would be a nice addition.

no probs, its fine, you are right most people dont know half of what they can do. im pretty computer savvy, but im of the mindset that if i like the way something is then i dont want to change for the sake of on programme. i would sooner just find an alternative programme to do the same, but seeing as this is a suggestion forum for this programme would be nice to see it changed.

i do like the integrated google earth/maps. very nice touch.

overal though i dont think its as instinctive to use as GSAK, and as mentioned there are a few bugs with home locations and no recognising caches you have already found.

also noticed one other strange aspect. if you clik the red dot, it doesnt hide the programme, it actually closes it. which is different to every other programme on my mac.

Not all apps work like this. Its up to the devolper. I have some that remain open and some that close...

also noticed one other strange aspect. if you clik the red dot, it doesnt hide the programme, it actually closes it. which is different to every other programme on my mac.

Not all apps work like this. Its up to the devolper. I have some that remain open and some that close...

hmm, never knew that, every one on my mac stays open but hidden.

you live and learn.

you live and learn.

Maccaching and google earth act this way. You probably just never noticed... :)

you live and learn.

Maccaching and google earth act this way. You probably just never noticed... :)

no i just dont have either of them installed.

:)

Another Glitch maybe? I am trying the "Itinerary" screen where I have a few caches listed. The "locate" button does not work if you have the "show finds" check box turned off. In other words the "locate" button only works if you are in the "All Geocaches" category with the "show Finds" box checked on.

great program. my home location, which I entered correctly is way south (70 miles?) of where it really is so that the indicated distances and directions are correspondingly wrong. otherwise, so far so good.

I had the exact same problem. Nobody could help me here so I entered my "Home" coordinates again after converting them to a different fomat. I'm not at my Mac right now (I'm at work) so I can't tell you which format I used. Hopefully I will be able to post when I get home to let you know.

great program. my home location, which I entered correctly is way south (70 miles?) of where it really is so that the indicated distances and directions are correspondingly wrong. otherwise, so far so good.

I had the exact same problem. Nobody could help me here so I entered my "Home" coordinates again after converting them to a different fomat. I'm not at my Mac right now (I'm at work) so I can't tell you which format I used. Hopefully I will be able to post when I get home to let you know.

if you use the bottom one in the converter, 51.38717 format its more acurate than the standard geocaching format.

if you use the bottom one in the converter, 51.38717 format its more acurate than the standard geocaching format.

Yep. That's the one.

I was 80 miles off to the SE.

I'm attempting to run this against a Garmin 60csx and am running into only one significant problem. In the software I have a fairly large list of caches (both found and not-found). I downloaded my various area specific PQ's and also downloaded my "My finds" PQ. I loaded all my area PQ's and loaded my "My finds" PQ last (selecting "Import as Found"). Everything looks fine in the software. My found caches are showing up as found and vice versa.

Now I upload the whole mess to my GPS and it wipes out any of my "Found" icons on the GPS. All of the icons are showing up as not-found. This is quite confusing when your searching for the nearest cache. The only other solution I can think of is to delete all the caches off the 60csx and then only upload the Not-Found caches only. Any other ideas?

I should mention I am using "GPSMap" as the selected GPS in the software properties.

Does anyone know how to revert a cache that was marked "found" to the not found cactagory? I accidentally marked the wrong cache as found and I do not know how to undo the mistake other than delete the cache and re-import it into GeoJournal.

Does anyone know how to revert a cache that was marked "found" to the not found cactagory? I accidentally marked the wrong cache as found and I do not know how to undo the mistake other than delete the cache and re-import it into GeoJournal.

Just click on the "Found" button again. This will "unfind" that geocache.

Looks like a promising waypoint manager but the first thing I tried to do (after setting preferences) was download waypoints from my GPSr. I couldn't see how to do it and the manual says nothing. I must be overlooking something as this is a basic capability.

Looks like a promising waypoint manager but the first thing I tried to do (after setting preferences) was download waypoints from my GPSr. I couldn't see how to do it and the manual says nothing. I must be overlooking something as this is a basic capability.

GeoJournal does not support moving geocaches from your GPS to your computer. In my case, even if GJ COULD do it I still wouldn't use it (now, if I could update my GJ database by importing my Cachemate database from my phone to my computer, THAT would be something else).

Do you do this to update the list of "found" geocaches on your computer? Please explain; this sounds interesting.

GeoJournal does not support moving geocaches from your GPS to your computer. In my case, even if GJ COULD do it I still wouldn't use it (now, if I could update my GJ database by importing my Cachemate database from my phone to my computer, THAT would be something else).

Do you do this to update the list of "found" geocaches on your computer? Please explain; this sounds interesting.

I'm amazed. :) Transferring waypoints back-and-forth is such a part of my routine that it never occurred to me that a waypoint manager wouldn't do that. I grab waypoints off the GPSr for:

1. Routine maintenance to clean up waypoints no longer needed on the GPSr (much easier to do it in a manager than on the receiver).

2. Caches I have just placed, including all the averaged readings, stages, parking, etc.

3. Multi-stage caches I have done or am in the process of doing.

4. Notable locations I have waymarked for future reference, such as potential cache locations, trails, campsites, friend's houses, etc.

The one thing I don't do is use it to update a list of "found" geocaches. I rely on queries and memory for that. I'm not a super high-volume cacher but I use my GPS receivers frequently and expect a waypoint manager to do the basics: transfer, organize and edit waypoints.

I'm amazed. :) Transferring waypoints back-and-forth is such a part of my routine that it never occurred to me that a waypoint manager wouldn't do that. I grab waypoints off the GPSr for:

1. Routine maintenance to clean up waypoints no longer needed on the GPSr (much easier to do it in a manager than on the receiver).

2. Caches I have just placed, including all the averaged readings, stages, parking, etc.

3. Multi-stage caches I have done or am in the process of doing.

4. Notable locations I have waymarked for future reference, such as potential cache locations, trails, campsites, friend's houses, etc.

The one thing I don't do is use it to update a list of "found" geocaches. I rely on queries and memory for that. I'm not a super high-volume cacher but I use my GPS receivers frequently and expect a waypoint manager to do the basics: transfer, organize and edit waypoints.

Very intriguing. What does your normal routine - pre- and post- hunt - consist of? Those are some great ideas.

Very intriguing. What does your normal routine - pre- and post- hunt - consist of? Those are some great ideas.

My "fun flow" depends on the hunt's complexity and how much time I can devote to research. I often load new caches into my GPSr directly from the web page via Geocaching Menu and go. I load query results using MacGPS Pro; the cache info goes into GeoNiche (similar to CacheMate but fancier) on my Treo.

I "clean out" the GPSr waypoints and track logs around month's end or before a major trip. This is when I do most of the waypoint management. MacGPS Pro is my favored app because it saves files in standard GPX and track log formats which I can manipulate with a text editor (powerful but no so user friendly). I prefer text format because I can look at the data years later without having to worry about proprietary apps that become obsolete or change. MacGPS Pro also displays a map of the data so I can edit graphically; for example, select waypoints around a given city I have visited or am planning to cache in.

The downside of MacGPS Pro--or most any other Mac app--is that it is a lousy waypoint manager. That's what I was hoping GeoJournal could do but if it can't download data from the GPSr it is useless to me. The benchmark for managers is GSAK but it has a wretched interface and inefficient data structure. A better GSAK for the Mac would be great.

The downside of MacGPS Pro--or most any other Mac app--is that it is a lousy waypoint manager. That's what I was hoping GeoJournal could do but if it can't download data from the GPSr it is useless to me.

You could use gpsbabel to d/l your waypoints or use Loadmytracks!

I use loadmytracks to download routes and waypoint. I manage them with geojournal or mc'ing....

O.K. I'm new to the world of paperless caching and connecting my GPS to my Mac or PC for that matter. We enter our Cache info into our GPS by hand.

Trying to figure this out before I get started.

Question: So I load GeoJournal onto my Mac and that helps me manage the Cache info?

I just bought a Palm. I load Cachmate onto the Palm to manage transfer info from GeoJournal to Palm?

I load GSAK onto my daughters PC just in case I use her computer for any Cache management?

I will begin with these Questions.

I am not extremely computer smart, yet willing to learn.

Thank You ahead of time for the Help!

Bradley (Padooa)

You could use gpsbabel to d/l your waypoints or use Loadmytracks!

I use loadmytracks to download routes and waypoint. I manage them with geojournal or mc'ing....

I do trot out GPSBabel on occasion to convert some strange format. It is relatively slow on my G4 and has too many settings for routine transfers.

Just tried LoadMyTracks and it seems simple and fast as a single-purpose utility should be. My main objection to it is having yet another app to keep track of. This sort of utility should be built into any self-respecting waypoint manager, me thinks.

O.K. I'm new to the world of paperless caching and connecting my GPS to my Mac or PC for that matter. ...

Welcome to the world of (so-called) paperless caching! Sounds like you're heading along a path blazed by many others so I'd suggest you just search the forums for relevant info and tutorials. Paperless is a tad more difficult with a Mac but new apps like GeoJournal and MacCaching show promise, and standbys like CacheMate are reliable. GSAK is very capable if you can stand Windows.

For example, you load a GPX file from a Groundspeak query into GeoJournal, process it however you like, and then download the results to your GPS receiver and to CacheMate on the Palm. If you can get the Mac-GPSr and the Mac-Palm connections established it's a matter of learning how to use the applications. Have fun!

Frustrated....

I downloaded GeoJournal (free trial)

Besides my home coordinates not being in the right place, the system shut down on me and I can't get back into..

I received a notice. "An Exception of class NilObjectException was not handled. The application must shutdown"

Now unable to access GeoJournal!!!!!!!

I tried to delete and start over still doesn't work...

Down Loaded Foxfire and then downloaded Geojournal again, still doesn't work???

Frustrated and already confused :D

Padooa

I know that nobody likes a party pooper, but per the Forum guidelines, "Commercial Postings/Solicitations are not allowed. " In the past, Groundspeak has frowned heavily upon commercial software developers relying on these forums to support their product. Please direct support questions and product development suggestions to Rich via his own site and not here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that someone has stepped up to fill this market, but as moderator of this forum, the time has come to officially scowl at this thread and ask that the support discussions and wish list conversations be moved to the vendor's site. So please refer users to that forum for discussion.

I downloaded it last night and was sad to find it doesn't support the Garmin GPS-76, only GPSMap-76. I also noticed it doesn't like the .GPX files created by Mac SimpleGPS.

Geojournal uses GPSBabel for GPS communications. While it's not explictly called out on the list of the scores of Garmins supported, I'm reasonably sure it should work.

Did you actually try it and fail or did you get psyched out by the absence of it in the lis

...Sorry for the time-warp post, life got in the way :o . Yes, I tried it. But it's possibly the PL2303 USB-Serial adapter which doesn't seem to like Garmin's non-standard RS232C interface. The only thing that can talk to my Garmin is Zterm at 4800 baud or slower, so I think the low voltage from Garmin is getting mucked up in the PL2303 at higher speeds.

Didn't mean to leave anybody hanging!

From the GeoJournal download folder/box, I had to drag the Light Bulb Icon out onto my desktop than to my applications folder. I could have skipped the drag to the desktop.

I'm guessing this is part of an unzipping process or just what I need to do when downloading stuff.

I figured this out because I had to do this to download Foxfire. Had to drag the Icon for that..

Thanks for asking, Padooa

O.K, O.K. I will not post on hear again.

Go Mac Users!

O.K., O.K. this is the last post. I Promise!!

I figured out GeoJournal and Cachemate. Have loaded info into my GPS Magellan eXplorist 210 and to my new Palm Tungsten E2..

Very easy to use all the way around...

Can't wait to get out and do some more Cacheing.

Padooa :o

hello,

I just downloaded geojournal to my macbook pro I really like it so I tested it out downloaded cach to geojournal worked great then I hooked it up to send to my gps (etrex legand CX) and it will not connect to my gps can anyone help me?

Fustrated :huh:

We are happy to announce the release of GeoJournal version 1.0.00.

GeoJournal is the first application of it's kind written for the Mac. It's

got a ton of great features that allow you to Plan, Manage, and Record your

Geocaching Adventures. Briefly, it's great features include:

- GPX/LOC support

- Multiple cache categories

- Multiple home locations

- Embedded web browser with Google Maps

- Itinerary generation

- Associate pictures and notes with Found caches

- POP3 importing for PQs

- Paperless caching with CacheMate PDB files, GPX, or Text exporting

- Integration with Google Earth, Apple iCal, and more!

For more information and to download the application, please visit

GeoJournal's main web site at:

http://www.geoingenuity.com

Thank you. I hope you enjoy using the application.

Best Regards,

Rich Martin aka Curious Technology

Mac User, Geocacher, and Author of GeoJournal

:huh: