Problems with Other cachers

One thing that I do want to point out is that as long as people are polite, they should be able to give their honest opinions on a cache. The past logs are what give other cachers info on whether or not they might enjoy doing a cache or not. :)

Hey, I think as long as you criticize the cache, only, you're good to go.

Once you start attacking the hider... that's not so good.

I appreciate honest logs... and people who leave them.

michelle

People are what they do. So the cache refects on the hider. So I think you still need to try to be nice about it. I do appreaciate when people are honest in a nice way. It's just a game...

KF has decided to bring our on going feud out into the public forum most likely due to his insecurities and looking for some kind of public approval for his negative cache logs.

Yes, we guess “Log Suppression Agent”, “resident defender of newbie cachers” and or “defender of newbie’s” is an appropriate title for us at this time. Unfortunately it is a requirement due to KF and his recent holier than thou attitude and continual cache bashing logs not only on local newbie’s caches but also on some of the local veterans caches as well because they do not meet his personal cache hiding standards.

There are more tactful means that could be used to notify a cache owner that his/her cache didn’t meet his HIGH expectations. Now KF admits that “it is better done via "private messages” in this thread.

When a negative comment is put in a public forum it automatically puts the recipient on the defensive with a need to respond. Just like our response here in this thread for being called a “Log Suppression Agent”.

It is our opinion and the opinion of other local geocachers that although KF has nice cache hides he has done more harm than good to our community with all the negativity.

So character assasination logs on my event cache page are appropriate then?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...91-f6a36ce462fa

th_Personal-Attack.jpg

Edited by Kit Fox

There are a few troubled cachers I have ran into over the last 3 years. Two will not let me log caches I have rightfully found because they harbor such anger over tiny things like the time I found a "night cache" in the daytime. If you ignore the anger/resentment/whatever and don't let these people get you down you will do well.

People can only anger you if you allow them to.

KF has decided to bring our on going feud out into the public forum most likely due to his insecurities and looking for some kind of public approval for his negative cache logs.

Yes, we guess “Log Suppression Agent”, “resident defender of newbie cachers” and or “defender of newbie’s” is an appropriate title for us at this time. Unfortunately it is a requirement due to KF and his recent holier than thou attitude and continual cache bashing logs not only on local newbie’s caches but also on some of the local veterans caches as well because they do not meet his personal cache hiding standards.

There are more tactful means that could be used to notify a cache owner that his/her cache didn’t meet his HIGH expectations. Now KF admits that “it is better done via "private messages” in this thread.

When a negative comment is put in a public forum it automatically puts the recipient on the defensive with a need to respond. Just like our response here in this thread for being called a “Log Suppression Agent”.

It is our opinion and the opinion of other local geocachers that although KF has nice cache hides he has done more harm than good to our community with all the negativity.

So character assasination logs on my event cache page are appropriate then?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...91-f6a36ce462fa

th_Personal-Attack.jpg

Seems like an okay log to me. They stated they were declining to attend. They made it plainly obvious that they were stating an opinion, not a fact, and went on to explain why they hold that opinion. I really don't see it as character assassination, more like brutal honesty. (From their perspective anyway.)

That's the problem with brutal honesty. It kind of sucks when you're on the receiving end. It doesn't feel very honest at all. In fact, it probably feels like you are being unfairly portrayed and harshly judged. I mean why would they focus so much on the one aspect of your personality they find lacking when there are so many good things they could say about you instead? B)

Seems like an okay log to me. They stated they were declining to attend. They made it plainly obvious that they were stating an opinion, not a fact, and went on to explain why they hold that opinion. I really don't see it as character assassination, more like brutal honesty. (From their perspective anyway.)

That's the problem with brutal honesty. It kind of sucks when you're on the receiving end. It doesn't feel very honest at all. In fact, it probably feels like you are being unfairly portrayed and harshly judged. I mean why would they focus so much on the one aspect of your personality they find lacking when there are so many good things they could say about you instead? B)

He used my cache page as a platform for an agenda by posting to this thread. Cache pages are not intended for personal disagreements. I've already had to delete five or six "coin / tb drop" logs that he posted on the event page. He posted the notes without ever dropping a single traveler, they were intended only to annoy me with email notifications.

I agree. I would bet that some believe your brutally honest logs are pushing an agenda. They may see that agenda as an attempt to bully people into hiding caches you like or to get out of the game. I'm not saying you do that, but it appears that some people believe that you do. If that is their perception then for them it's true. It kind of sucks how that works.

Yeah, I'm beating up on you again. I'm sorry. I don't mean to, but you are pretty vocal advocate of "truth in logging". This is fine to a point, but many people lack the desire or the ability to keep their observations objective. I'm not saying that you lack this skill. I haven't read your logs unless you posted them here. The bottom line for me is that encouraging people to log "truthfully" will wind up causing negative, personally hurtful logs that do nothing but discourage people from hiding caches.

To the OP:

We have a self important local who appears to take satisfaction in writing logs like those you have received. Just remember that there are always going to be a few rude people and ignore him. I'm sure that other local cachers are experiencing the same boorish behavior from him.

Edited by sbell111

I agree. I would bet that some believe your brutally honest logs are pushing an agenda. They may see that agenda as an attempt to bully people into hiding caches you like or to get out of the game. I'm not saying you do that, but it appears that some people believe that you do. If that is their perception then for them it's true. It kind of sucks how that works.

Yeah, I'm beating up on you again. I'm sorry. I don't mean to, but you are pretty vocal advocate of "truth in logging". This is fine to a point, but many people lack the desire or the ability to keep their observations objective. I'm not saying that you lack this skill. I haven't read your logs unless you posted them here. The bottom line for me is that encouraging people to log "truthfully" will wind up causing negative, personally hurtful logs that do nothing but discourage people from hiding caches.

I'll give you the background behind our disagreement. A fellow geocacher (not GA) logged a find on a cache hidden by a new cacher. The log included reference to being caught by employees "red handed," when he was sean removing a prescription pill bottle (the cache) from a lamppost cover.

I posted a note on the cache page that the cache looked like a drug stash. The owner (new cacher) turned their cache page and their profile into a "i'm a victim, someone spoke harshly of my cache therefore I quit!" GA was fuming because this person would no longer be hiding caches "all because of me. All four of their hides were prescription bottles hidden in public places (two in parking lots in full view of everyone else. I can't see how I contributed to the destruction of the game in my area.

He claims that I cause other cachers to quit hiding caches because of my other logs. I'm not sure if I cause the cacher who hid 35mm canister in large bushes, in the middle of the desert to stop caching, caused the cacher that hid micros in trash dumps, or the other cacher who hid keyholders in front of businesses. Why can't a cacher express displeasure about finding caches in "trash dumps," or "caches hidden without permission in full view of the GP?

He also had my first Earthcache archived before I could even amend the page to include all geological information. I had to leap through hoops to get that squared away, and unarchived.

Edited by Kit Fox

...I posted a note on the cache page that the cache looked like a drug stash. The owner (new cacher) turned their cache page and their profile into a "i'm a victim, someone spoke harshly of my cache therefore I quit!" GA was fuming because this person would no longer be hiding caches "all because of me. All four of their hides were prescription bottles hidden in public places (two in parking lots in full view of everyone else. I can't see how I contributed to the destruction of the game in my area....

I've had a cache turned in as a drug stash (beats having it blown up). When you have a specific concern about a cache like that sometimes it pays to do a direct email and tell them what's up, and why you have the concern. The thing about a public log is that it's similar to going over someones head. The email is more discrete but still gets the point across, without the public chastisment.

B)

We have a geocacher here who really goes out of his way to make remarks about me. He even made up a nickname for me!

Here he is talking about me in a log on another geocachers very first cache hide, it is the very first log entry, apparently the cache page works just fine for a platform! Quality geocacher at work.

I really don't worry about him at all, it is pointless. He has his caching opinions and likes and I have mine and if they never meet, well, I really don't think I am missing anything.

I did make a few forum comments on one of his "quality" hides after he launched a public attack here in the forums but I deleted them because I realized that all I would be doing would be starting a brush war and I am not interested in trading witlessisms.

Other geocachers figure things out without my help. Finding one of his active caches always places the quality vs quantity remark in it's proper perspective.

He has the problem and I am not it, his problem is of his own making.

So I ignore it. It would be nice if he could wrap his head around the cache page being a poor platform for expressing opinions of other cachers or advancing personal agendas but I really don't expect that he will.

This was funny

Log 1

Log 2

It appeared to me that he was proud of the fact that he didn't file an SBA on the missing cache, problem was it wasn't missing, it was right where it was supposed to be.

:(

We have a geocacher here who really goes out of his way to make remarks about me. He even made up a nickname for me!

Here he is talking about me in a log on another geocachers very first cache hide, it is the very first log entry, apparently the cache page works just fine for a platform! Quality geocacher at work.

I really don't worry about him at all, it is pointless. He has his caching opinions and likes and I have mine and if they never meet, well, I really don't think I am missing anything.

I did make a few forum comments on one of his "quality" hides after he launched a public attack here in the forums but I deleted them because I realized that all I would be doing would be starting a brush war and I am not interested in trading witlessisms.

Other geocachers figure things out without my help. Finding one of his active caches always places the quality vs quantity remark in it's proper perspective.

He has the problem and I am not it, his problem is of his own making.

So I ignore it. It would be nice if he could wrap his head around the cache page being a poor platform for expressing opinions of other cachers or advancing personal agendas but I really don't expect that he will.

This was funny

Log 1

Log 2

It appeared to me that he was proud of the fact that he didn't file an SBA on the missing cache, problem was it wasn't missing, it was right where it was supposed to be.

Wonder what the other side of the story is? ;):):D

I can tell you one of his complaints was that I place caches "because I can."

I would like to hear his side of the story as well!

Perhaps you can send him an email asking him what his issues are. :(

I think he thinks I bribe people to say nice things about my caches.

Anyway, it would be great to see Fred or Shawn show up here and discuss their beefs but I don't think it is going to happen. Talking with them was the first thing I tried to do, I arranged to meet them for coffee at a local coffee shop and we seemed to be getting along fine but that was all illusory, when they left they still hated my caches.

The threads are still here in the forums, you can read what transpired and make your own judgements but yes, I would love to hear the other side of the story as well.

I had someone who had only been caching for about 3 days, say that one of my caches were in poor location (He DNF By the way), and he had less than 10 finds under his belt!

It's quit a devious cache which has left people looking in the complete wrong places until they have a rethink and find it fairly simple!

i wouldn't be so upset if it asnt for the fact that the first cache he found i sent them a personal email of congratulations on their first cache, then they have the nerve to call it a poor location!

I am kinda one of those people who will tell you I think your 20th Black Film Cannister Under a Bridge/In a Fence Post/On a Railing is uncreative and has wasted what was potentially a good space that might have actually had a ) a decent hide that required SOME effort to find other than stopping the car and rolling down the window to reach and b ) might have been worthy of an actual expenditure for a Real Container of Appreciable Size.

Just because you've placed a cache doesn't make it a good cache.

michelle

Geocaching is for everyone isnt it? What about the folks that physically cant find many caches that are not on a railing, in a post, or a cache that they can drive right up to. Remember, "one mans trash is another mans treasure" Just because a cache is one of these, it doesnt mean it was "uncreative, a waste or unworthy!" Sometimes they are but there may be reasons. The only critism I would leave is if it was left somewhere like in an alley, next to a school, near a trash bin or dump, or something stupid like that. Also if it was in a dangerous location and isnt listed as such or if something is wrong with the cache, The latter I would actually email the owner and let them know. I dont feel that it is up to anyone to critisize anyones cache for their choice of container, camo, difficulty, location unless it is one of those reasons.....Its just what I think and therefore My opinion, take it for what its worth...

I'm a cacher in the Toronto, Canada area. There was an event called "The Great Lord Simcoe 24 Hour Geocaching Marathon," which was just recently held. I couldn't attend the event, since I was out of town, but I was shocked to see that they ran into some problems. Here's a post from the Canadian geocaching forum:

First off, let me congradulate everyone that participated in the Marathon. Everybody had a fun time, and many of us pushed our limits farther than our typical norms. We had perfect weather, and a lot of fun mingling on the trails. I am happy to have met many familiar caching names for the first time.

Now the bad news.

It would appear that someone has a chip on their shoulder, or just dislikes geocachers. I have received numerous reports that geocaches in the Oshawa/Whitby area have been vandalised after the 24 Hour group went through. Naturally the owners are blaming the marathon and the organizers for this vandalism. I have had reports of caches that we hid better than we found laying open with the camo ripped off in the middle of the trail. Another cache was flung downstream from the hiding spot.

I would suggest the owners of caches along the 24 Hour route check your caches as soon as possible for possible vandalism.

A cache was placed at the end, and select individuals attacked the placement of the cache - presumably because of a beef with the owner. This cache has now been archived.

This is leading me to reconsider a night caching event I had planned for later this year, as I can only assume it will be vandalised or that the cachers will be targetted by this individual or group.

To the person(s) responsible for this: Thank you for destroying my fun at Geocaching. I don't know what I did to cross you, but your attack has hit home here. You know who you are.

You can find the full forum thread HERE

My favourite reply to a detrimental Groundspeak log, or a bad Ebay feedback.......for that matter any non flattering comment made on line or off, is: "Consider the source!". This encourages anyone else looking at a comment to peruse the previous comments made by whomever, and make up their own minds about the validity of whatever complaint.

I never get into a flame war with someone of lesser intelligence. It only degrades to name calling and leaves both parties open to criticism.

Edited by Team Magic

I'm just taking a brief survey to see if anyone has ever had a problem with another cacher. I live in a small college town and up until recently everything has been going fine, but now that the students are starting to come back I am starting to have a problem.

We have a new cacher in town that seems to love to go out of his way to criticise my three caches. He made a good point about the first one being in a high-erosion area (which it is, but everywhere is an erosion area on the shore of Lake Superior) but the second and third were almost to the point of being rude. The best example I have is one I placed smack dab in the middle of campus. I rated it as a 1/1 and said it will only be available at night when the students are not walking by. He found it and said that it was "too easy" and that he would have placed it elsewhere and would have made a better looking (micro) container.

Anyone have any suggestions. For now I'm just going to ignore it and go about caching. Can't let one person ruin the game.

Thanks,

Robert

One solution is to criticize his cache placement. Just kidding.

Actually, I looked at your logs and I was expecting to some whack job who was going off on you. Actually, the guy was pretty tame and I would consider his posts to be constructive criticism. And he even complimented you at the end of one post.

Don't worry about it. Maybe those are harsh words for the UP, but that ain't nothing compared to what it could have been.

I'm just taking a brief survey to see if anyone has ever had a problem with another cacher. I live in a small college town and up until recently everything has been going fine, but now that the students are starting to come back I am starting to have a problem.

We have a new cacher in town that seems to love to go out of his way to criticise my three caches. He made a good point about the first one being in a high-erosion area (which it is, but everywhere is an erosion area on the shore of Lake Superior) but the second and third were almost to the point of being rude. The best example I have is one I placed smack dab in the middle of campus. I rated it as a 1/1 and said it will only be available at night when the students are not walking by. He found it and said that it was "too easy" and that he would have placed it elsewhere and would have made a better looking (micro) container.

Anyone have any suggestions. For now I'm just going to ignore it and go about caching. Can't let one person ruin the game.

Thanks,

Robert

One solution is to criticize his cache placement. Just kidding.

Actually, I looked at your logs and I was expecting to some whack job who was going off on you. Actually, the guy was pretty tame and I would consider his posts to be constructive criticism. And he even complimented you at the end of one post.

Don't worry about it. Maybe those are harsh words for the UP, but that ain't nothing compared to what it could have been.

Yes there are mean people everywhere, I'm sorta new at this "game" which I consider a hobby, but ,really , people dont take this game or any other game serious, some people just are to wound up too tight for their own good and they want make others feel bad . " Dont let one Spoiled Apple ruin the Whole Barrel"

I had someone who had only been caching for about 3 days, say that one of my caches were in poor location (He DNF By the way), and he had less than 10 finds under his belt!

Hold it, I'm confused here. Hopefully, it's not just me. :lol:

He DNF'd it, which means he did not find it. If he did not find it, how did he know it was in a poor location?

To quote Alice, "Things just get curiouser and curiouser."

Hold it, I'm confused here. Hopefully, it's not just me. :huh: He DNF'd it, which means he did not find it. If he did not find it, how did he know it was in a poor location? To quote Alice, "Things just get curiouser and curiouser."
If you don't like the area you're tromping around looking in I think you could probably come to a conclusion about the cache location (general area) without actually finding the cache.

I'll give you the background behind our disagreement.

Wow. This easily gets my vote for "Most blatant hijack of a thread." What? They don't give that award anymore? Nevermind...

How is that hijacking the thread. The thread is about Problems with other cachers and thats exactly what he is posting about.

Well, I'm not the one to ask. :huh: I once logged that a cache in a mud puddle in an industrial area near the defunct Flushing Airport was the "Second ugliest place that I'd ever found a cache." Cache owner thought that that was hilarious! On rare occasin, I have been known to post what I think about a cache.

If I think that your coords are badly off, I will let you know. Not sure if I actually logged "Wow! Discarded kitchen appliances in the woods!" But I'm sure that my brother did.

Bt it would never occur to post what s/he did about the one on the college campus. "Too easy"? So what? "Not creative enough camo"? So what? That's his/her problem, not yours.

On the other hand, I did find a magnetic key container on a park bench last weekend. I could see it from twenty feet away. I'm surprised that it lasted two weeks! But the first two finders noted that it was not one of the better hides that they'd seen, so I did not feel the need to add any criticism. Oddly, of the three caches I seached for on Saturday, the other two were much better hidden, but had been muggled. Go figure!

If you ever run out of creative "found it" logs may I suggest this Log Generator.

I've been known to be brutally honest in my cache logs. The only person who takes any issue with my logs is the local "log suppresion agent." Sometimes cachers should know why there is something wrong with there cache, but it is better done via "private messages."

Since it is better done that way, why didn't you do it that way?

Well, I'm not the one to ask. :huh: I once logged that a cache in a mud puddle in an industrial area near the defunct Flushing Airport was the "Second ugliest place that I'd ever found a cache." Cache owner thought that that was hilarious! On rare occasin, I have been known to post what I think about a cache.

If I think that your coords are badly off, I will let you know. Not sure if I actually logged "Wow! Discarded kitchen appliances in the woods!" But I'm sure that my brother did.

Bt it would never occur to post what s/he did about the one on the college campus. "Too easy"? So what? "Not creative enough camo"? So what? That's his/her problem, not yours.

On the other hand, I did find a magnetic key container on a park bench last weekend. I could see it from twenty feet away. I'm surprised that it lasted two weeks! But the first two finders noted that it was not one of the better hides that they'd seen, so I did not feel the need to add any criticism. Oddly, of the three caches I seached for on Saturday, the other two were much better hidden, but had been muggled. Go figure!

If you ever run out of creative "found it" logs may I suggest this Log Generator.

I've been known to be brutally honest in my cache logs. The only person who takes any issue with my logs is the local "log suppresion agent." Sometimes cachers should know why there is something wrong with there cache, but it is better done via "private messages."

Since it is better done that way, why didn't you do it that way?

I've done that too! :huh:

Thanks,

Robert

B):huh::huh:

:huh:

FUNNY!!

I have been stewing about this for several hours now. Wondering if I should post a question. I did NOT look up your caches but, I'll bet I can guess who logged 'helpful' notes'.

Instead of an ignore list, kinda wanting a "cachers who annoy the carp outta me right now list".

I would just ignore it. B)

Ignoring is a nice idea but, this guy thinks he is doing us ALL a favor by posting these notes. I understand the intention is to help but frankly, his tone is more than a little holier than thou.... even after you view his profile and see that he does have a sense of humor.

I do not believe ignoring will be effective. I have been reading his constuctive criticism logs for over a year now (and those are just the ones in my neck of the woods) and he shows no signs of slowing down.

Familiar with Ray Barone's Mother in Everybody loves Ray? That is how this guy operates. He has a *helpful* opinion and feels an obligation to share. With a smile. It's all friendly. Annoying as ****, but friendly. Can't really complain about that can you? Well, yeah.

Honestly, everytime I see one of his notes on a cache I think "why wasn't this handled privately in an

E-Mail?!?" Does he realize that posting notes on the cache page influences EVERYONE that reads the note? :(

If it is who I think it is, and I'm sure I'm right, then my advice to the OP is.....

delete the notes, he didn't post a find did he? Bet not. Get that negative stuff off YOUR page. Then ask the FTF, as tradition allows, to give the most valuable feedback.

I'm glad Marie enjoys Michigan but sweetie, please don't mistake our politeness for meekness.

O.K., end rant. I feel marginally better now.

sorta.

I would definitely ignore this person. However, another solution would be to delete their cache logs. That could start a feud though - which may actually be kinda fun.

The only problem I ever had with a cacher was a dude who kept asking to trade solutions to mystery caches for the final locations of terrain 4+ multis. There were a few other WA cachers who made a big deal of this and it turned into a publicized geobattle. I think it's way more trouble than it's worth. If he starts messing with your physical caches, that's a problem. But, if he's just posting logs, he needs to either be polite or get counseling. Really, isn't this all about fun and discovering new areas? Each cacher has his/her own style. I've found 5 terrain ratings that were no problem and spent multiple days on 3-4 terrain ratings that left me with huge blisters and torn up arms. They were all fun though....

Maybe I should double post this into the thread in Off Topic that has to do with chidren speaking wisely.

From my 10 year old Daughter yesterday, "... it's not a big deal Mom, you can't possibly always be right."

Hmmmmph!

So, now that I've looked, my problem cacher is NOT your problem cacher. Sorry 'bout that.

BTW, mine is a bigger dork than yours. AND he logged on your caches. You got the best treatment from him that I've seen. So, compare the find count along with time in the game and general all around experience, and what you see is that my more experienced, typically an opinionated bugger, had no criticism of your caches.

I don't like saying this but, when it comes to logs and opinions , I'll take Marie's word over your guy's anyday.

Now that I've read the logs, I am sure it's not personal. Tactless, but not personal. So, I guess I've joined the ~ignore him but pay attention crowd~.

Looking forward to doing your caches next time we get up!

In regard to criticism from other cachers... to me it's okay as long as it's constructive. For example "your log book was wet so I dried it out, or it was full so I added a page to it." On the other hand telling someone bluntly that his/her cache isn't up to your standards is just plain rude. It's like going to someone's house for dinner and criticising their furniture or the food.

Unfortunately we live in a culture of impatience and immaturity and a few cache hunters think they are doing the cache owner a favor by visiting his/her cache. On the contrary, you are a guest at that cache which someone has selflessly provided for your fun and amusement. So cut them some slack.

If you aren't happy with a particular cache then feel free to go elsewhere or better yet take some initiative and put up one of your own and lead by example. They have a saying in Georgia that states this quite well: "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree." It's a game so don't try making it into an ego trip... you'll live longer.

I see alot of comments in the Forums about too many 1/1 caches that seem to be pointlessly placed and simply just stuck somewhere. I have left only one negative log in 5 years and that one was intended to be informative to others and a test to see if I left this kind of comment would others do the same. Well to my surprize others just said they agreed and referenced my post. Nobody was mean but the point got across as a waste of time. The hider was a newbie. Normally I email if I think the cache needs attention or comments need to be made - usually about trash, PI, Briars, or other undesireable traits that can be fixed, if I couldn't do it myself. Sometimes we do need to make comments and be understanding if they are ignored. Always let it be positive oriented critism separating fact from opinion with good intentions of being helpful.

In regard to criticism from other cachers... to me it's okay as long as it's constructive. For example "your log book was wet so I dried it out, or it was full so I added a page to it." On the other hand telling someone bluntly that his/her cache isn't up to your standards is just plain rude. It's like going to someone's house for dinner and criticising their furniture or the food.

Unfortunately we live in a culture of impatience and immaturity and a few cache hunters think they are doing the cache owner a favor by visiting his/her cache. On the contrary, you are a guest at that cache which someone has selflessly provided for your fun and amusement. So cut them some slack.

You could be doing other cachers a favor by disabling your missing cache rather than sanitizing logs, and deleting DNFs on your non-existant cache. It took a reviewer to disable your cache that you did not maintain.

Anyway, it would be great to see Fred or Shawn show up here and discuss their beefs but I don't think it is going to happen.

Right again David!!! (almost :anitongue: ). Done discussing and on to other things. Hope your summer was good and may just see you caching out and about.

Shawn

Not much to wonder. I chaulk it up to a difference in guideline interpretation and personal interaction!

The personal interaction bit I understand, I don't expect everyone to like me and I don't expect to like everyone but the guideline interpretation bit has me mystified. I said it would be nice to see Shawn or Fred show up here to discuss their beefs.

You show up but don't want to discuss anything? :P

In case you missed it that is Fred being a **donkey** in the logs of local caches, caches which he doesn't own. Cache logs are a poor platform for expressing viewpoints about other cachers, people don't place caches to provide a platform for others to express opinions about local cachers. In addition, local cachers probably don't need Fred to comment on their DNF's. A DNF log is actually Did Not Find, not Did Not Like This Cache as Fred seems to think.

The proper forum for bitching is a forum, like this one.

If Fred has issues he can bring them out and talk about them but he doesn't, he strews his litter everywhere except where it might be resolved, like a forum. If Fred would shut up about me when he writes his logs most of the "problem cacher" problem would disappear, that is my take on it. Do you think anyone needs a log from Fred which mentions me?

The objective method of deciding things is to let people decide for themselves. I know Fred thinks I place terrible caches, that is his right and he is free to think whatever he wants to think but does he actually think that other people are wrong about the caches they enjoy? People can make up their own minds you know and every time Fred spins out the "quantity vs quality" remark he is inviting people to compare and you know what, they do that. :)

:) Hey TeamCypherX,

You should thank your "lucky stars" that the only problem cacher behavior you face is some criticism. Avoid it! Now if you really want to encounter a problem cacher, come up or over to our neck of the woods. We have one that is so evil , as in psychopathic, it makes criticism look like welcomed friendliness!

We have had to deal with: rude logs, photos of innocent cachers posted on porn sites, stolen caches, destroyed caches and computer spy ware. If that isn't enough, our local evil doer brings new cachers into the game and teaches them his tricks of the trade! You are lucky! :P

I am usually brutally honest with my opinion on a cache. I also see my Find (or DNF) log as a record of my experiences while attempting to find a cache. If I eventually find the cache 100+ feet from where the listed coordinates take me, I will mention this in my log. If the area is covered in trash, smells bad, and has no redeeming qualities except for the smiley, I will mention this in my log. Sometimes I use humor to get my opinion across and sometimes I don't.

I have many hides and receive many email notifications. If someone slams my hide it may get me back out there to make an adjustment or it may not. It depends on the reason I hid the cache -- to take someone to a great spot or to help cachers increase their find count. If warranted I usually confess to a location not having much merit other than the smiley.

What I don't understand is why some cachers feel the need to praise a relatively mediocre hide. Sure, I don't subscribe to the "If you can't say anything nice about a cache..." philosophy myself but the "If you can't find anything nice to say about a cache praise it with great praise" credo leaves me speechless.

To answer the OP directly: Ignore things and it will likely eventually blow over. Some tiffs will leave lingering bad feelings, but we don't need to be friends with everyone, do we?

But please keep hiding caches!!

What I don't understand is why some cachers feel the need to praise a relatively mediocre hide. Sure, I don't subscribe to the "If you can't say anything nice about a cache..." philosophy myself but the "If you can't find anything nice to say about a cache praise it with great praise" credo leaves me speechless.

I think it is to avoid conflict. I posted my dislike for a cache earlier this week and ended up having an email exchange with the newbie cache hider where they told me how I don't know what I'm doing and my GPSr doesn't work. ;) It makes you want to avoid posting anything even remotely negative about a cache.

I believe that some people (predominantly found near universities and other institutions of "higher" education) take on a role of educator and they honestly think that their criticism is helping us to become better at whatever it is that they are supposedly teaching. More often than not, these people tend to be pompus wind bags that have nothing better to do than to criticize everything around them due to some deep down lack that they possess in their own life. It doesn't sound as though the author of this criticism is particularly harsh, but rather, tactless and self absorbed. I pity the people who have assumed these types of roles for themselves as self-appointed professors of rhetoric. They are doomed to a life of never-ending self righteous overcompensation for their own shortcomings.

Ignore him, if that doesn't work, find his caches and bash the crap out of them... jk

:unsure:

Hold it, I'm confused here. Hopefully, it's not just me. :unsure:

He DNF'd it, which means he did not find it. If he did not find it, how did he know it was in a poor location?

To quote Alice, "Things just get curiouser and curiouser."

My guess is that since this person is new to the game, he just assumed that the cache was placed in an area that was inaccessable, unacceptable or missing. In actuality it was probably staring him right in the face. He just didn't know what the heck to look for. I just ignore those comments unless they're made by more knowledgable and experienced cachers.

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt