Mason Geocachers?

Actually, if someone wants to PM me, I've got some questions to ask. And Yes, they are all CIVIL and Reasonable questions.

Pick one of the Masons who has posted on this thread and ask away. My email is listed on my profile.

Oops, just saw that you already emailed me.

I am not a Mason, however, I am a part of the Masonic family. My mother and I have been in Eastern Star since 1991. My father and husband are Masons and Eastern Star as well. My mothers father and 3 brothers are also Masons. My husband geocaches with me some and we have introduced my mother to it and she seems to enjoy it, :laughing: although will only go with us. Dad just doesn't get it. :ph34r:

Cool! My Father is also a Mason and my parents are long time Eastern Star members. My Sister is a past Grand Officer in Rainbow and my wife was Grand Charity in Rainbow. I will be taking the Scottish Rite degrees at a Reunion next weekend. My Daughter is currently Sister of Charity in her Rainbow assembly and my Wife has been the Mother Advisor for several years. I will be Rainbow Dad next Summer when my Daughter is Worthy Advisor.

For those of you who may be yet unaware, there has recently been some degree of interaction and cooperation between the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry and both the Maryland Geocaching Society (MGS) and Groundspeak. And, on Sunday, November 1, there will be a special Meet & Greet event held by MGS in Washington DC at the House of the Temple, headquarters of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry in the Southern Jurisdiction in the USA. For more info on the event, you may wish to see the thread about the event, which is located in the Mid-Atlantic forum.

Incidentally, the event organizers have announced that there will be several geocaching-related vendors also present at the event, and some other surprises as well.

Have fun!

Thanks Vinny,

The post from the other thread follows -

Everyone is invited to join us for a special Meet & Greet on Saturday, November 1, at the House of the Temple in Washington, D.C.

Several months ago, the Maryland Geocaching Society (MGS) was invited to do a geocaching presentation to the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry. They were interested in learning more about caching. As a result of our meetings, the Masons have welcomed geocaching! We assisted them with developing guidelines and have been working with them on a Nationwide geocaching program. The goal is for this program to go Worldwide within the year! As we have learned, the Masons own hundreds of beautiful locations that are rich in history. It is great that we will be able to bring caching to these facilities.

On the day of the event, The House of the Temple will be open for special guided tours at 10:30, 11:30 and 12:30. At 11:00 Dr. Brent Morris, renowned author and expert will lecture on Masonic History, Codes and Ciphers. Some of you may have seen Dr. Morris on the History & Discovery Channel specials. His knowledge of codes and ciphers should thrill our puzzle cachers At 1:00, we will have a special door prize drawings. Last month, we toured the Temple and the architecture and history of the building is remarkable! Parking in the area of the Temple is limited so please plan to car pool or use Metro.

Several weeks ago, the first of the series of Masonic caches were published in Maryland and Washington, D.C. In the following months, States around the U.S. will also launch caches.

We hope that many will be able to join us! Several caching-related vendors have signed on to be present. Please RSVP on the event page. - GC1GC7G

Best Regards,

CalvertCachers (MGS President)

BJ&Snurt101 (MGS Vice-President)

2008core@mdgps.org

Bump, bumping again. The excitement builds for a truly unique experience - a colloboration between The Maryland Geocaching Society (MGS) and the Masonic Geocaching Society.

* Dr. Brent Morris' lecture on cipher, codes and Freemasonry will be video-taped and made available via the Masonic Geocaching Society.

* See the cache page (GC1GC7G) for bookmark listings for a Virtual Cache tour of the Mall. Two (2) Wherigo caches are in place, one starting at the House of the Temple.

* Hummm...A BIG movie studio has donated some special door prizes for this Event. Geezz.... I wonder what this could mean??? Some kind of special treasure... We will need all of our puzzle cachers to help solve the mystery!

* Ah Yes, m'friends. This just in from my studio friend down south, Apodemus Sylvaticus. Said arrival of the goods is imminent. He was busy with a parade or somesuch. I wonder, given his newly acquired IT skills, whether he uses a tracball or a standard mouse. Heh. Squeak!

Here are the Masonic Geocaches that are currently available in Maryland and DC:

GC1GM25 - Masonic - Brotherhood Throughout The Years

GC1GKRJ - Masonic - Thomas's Double-Headed Eagle

GC1GCGM - Masonic - The Freemason (Pigpen) Cypher

GC1G8XH - Masonic - Masonic Creed - Looking Forward

GC1G7Y7 - Masonic - Masonic - The Eye of Providence

GC1GBC9 - Masonic - Masonic - Beyond The Third Degree

GC1HAHK - Masonic - Scottish Rite Temple (Wherigo Cache)

GC1GXVM - Masonic - House of the Temple

ps. The Masonic Geocaching Society will have available their very first trackable geocoin. Some may be offered as door prizes.

Snurt,

MGS VP

For those who may not yet have seen it, the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry distributed a press release on October 25, which was posted on several online press release websites and which may also be found on Google News. The press release was titled Caches, Cornerstones, and Codes: Scottish Rite Masons Launch Geocaching Group at Public Event

Washington, D.C. The Scottish Rite of Freemasonry (1733 16th Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20009) will hold a public event Nov. 1st from 10a.m. to 1p.m. to launch The Masonic Geocaching Society, a group of Masons dedicated to the sport of geocaching. and a copy of the full body of the press release may be found at http://www.prlog.org/10132989-caches-corne...blic-event.html

See you there!

For those who may not yet have seen it, the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry distributed a press release on October 25, which was posted on several online press release websites and which may also be found on Google News. The press release was titled Caches, Cornerstones, and Codes: Scottish Rite Masons Launch Geocaching Group at Public Event

Washington, D.C. The Scottish Rite of Freemasonry (1733 16th Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20009) will hold a public event Nov. 1st from 10a.m. to 1p.m. to launch The Masonic Geocaching Society, a group of Masons dedicated to the sport of geocaching. and a copy of the full body of the press release may be found at http://www.prlog.org/10132989-caches-corne...blic-event.html

See you there!

The link doesn't work for me. Vinny, are you a closet Mason?

See you there!

The link doesn't work for me. Vinny, are you a closet Mason?

Hmm... I have just re-tested the link, as embedded in my first post and in your quote of my post, and it still works fine for me, and for several other cachers whom I know. I wonder if you may have some kind of accidental limitation in place, imposed perhaps by your current browser settings or firewall settings...?

See you there!

Thanks Vinny.

Two quick sharings here. The Masonic Geocaching Society (sorry, I can't seem to create a link to their facebook page. Will work on that) is seeking Masonic cachers nationwide to participate in placing caches at historic and significant Temples and Lodges. In collaboration with the Maryland Geocaching Society (MGS), guidelines and documentation forms have been developed for interactions with the local sites.

Secondly, the Masonic Geocaching Society proudly announces the minting of their very first trackable Masonic geocoin. This nicely struck piece will be availabe at the Temple Event on Saturday in Washington, DC. More incentive!

Snurt,

MGS VP

See you there!

Thanks Vinny.

Two quick sharings here. The Masonic Geocaching Society (sorry, I can't seem to create a link to their facebook page. Will work on that) is seeking Masonic cachers nationwide to participate in placing caches at historic and significant Temples and Lodges. In collaboration with the Maryland Geocaching Society (MGS), guidelines and documentation forms have been developed for interactions with the local sites.

Secondly, the Masonic Geocaching Society proudly announces the minting of their very first trackable Masonic geocoin. This nicely struck piece will be availabe at the Temple Event on Saturday in Washington, DC. More incentive!

Snurt,

MGS VP

I received an email over the weekend from one of the Scottish Rite organizers asking if I would be interested in helping out in my area. I responded but haven't heard anything more yet. This seems like a great program and I will be happy to help in any way I can.

I have recently bought a set of masonic coins for my father who is a Mason in Northern Ireland . He has taken them to some of the lodge meetings and all the members are impressed with the coins. He also visits other lodges in some sort of official capacity and everyone seems to like the coins. I don't think many mason's here in Northern Ireland are cachers - but theres always hope :)

Edited by Beefy4605

Hi everyone,

I am a Past Master of Nathan Hale Lodge #350 F&AM in Milwaukee, WI and a plural member of Waverly Lodge #51 F&AM in Appleton, WI. I also belong to many of the appendant bodies in both the York and Scottish Rite.

I will be attending GeoWoodstock VII, GC1CG5G, in Bell Buckle, TN on May 23 and the Friday Night Meet & Greet, GC1M13D, on May 22 if anyone is interested in meeting.

Brothers,

I'm also looking for other Brothers out there who GEOCACHE. In fact, I am currently working with The Supreme Council for Scottish Rite -Southern Jurisdiction on a Masonic Website for Geocaching.

If any Brothers out there would like to know more, Please contact me about this project.

Thanks,

fraternally,

Bro. Eddie 32* AASR

campfire_254@yahoo.com

Hiram392 - New Holland Lodge No. 392, New Holland, Ohio

I am new to geocaching. Have only located 3 sites thus far. However, I was FTF on one of them. I saw blurb about the MGS meeting late last year. Do you know if they have any geocoins that might be purchased? How much? Who to contact, etc.?

Also, I have charted all Masonic Lodges in Ohio.( www.poi-factory.com/node/13536) This was current as of early 2008. I have not gone back and updated with consolidations etc. since Grand Lodge last year. It is still pretty current.

Hiram392

jgarringer3409@scpwildblue.com

I am not a mason,but I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of a cache (Mullan Pass Historic Lodge #1862 (GC1D3E8) I just found dedicated to the first meeting place of the masons here in Montana.It is a beautiful area high up on the continental divide.

1medium.jpg

2medium.jpg

Edited by skeezicks

Fraternal Greetings! I am one, also:

Past Master

Norfolk Lodge, A.F.&A.M.

Needham, Massachusetts

Scottish Rite (Northern Jurisdiction, though)

Refering to an earlier post, the Masonic Lodge Category in Waymarking.com is now well populated, but still far from the goal of having coordinates for every lodge.

I clicked on a link in an earlier blog but it went to a PR site. I was wondering if the the Masonic Geocaching Society was still active.

Edited by NorStar

M.M. Myrtle #145

Oklahoma City OK

Hello brothers, Im new to geocaching (not real familiar with navigating through this forum yet either) but its great to see fellow masons into geocaching.

I think one of those coins would be awsome, anyone know how i can get one?

If any bother is here in oklahoma feel free to let me know and try to plan a caching trip for the day.

Any Masons Geocaching?

I'm happy to announce, that I have become a Master Mason as of Yesterday, October 24th in the Big Rapids Lodge #171 in Michigan;

I was honored to have received a Masonic Geocaching Society Geocoin from my good friend RedRose upon acquiring the 3rd Degree. <_<

Congratulations Brother!