Magellan eXplorist 210

Can anyone tell me if the Magellan eXplorist 210 is a good GPS unit for a first-timer? Also, is the map that is included a good map?

I do not have one but i have heard lots of good stuff about it. I think it has a basemap. It will give you an idea of where you are or where you are going but that is about it. Think of a map with only major routes on it.

Can anyone tell me if the Magellan eXplorist 210 is a good GPS unit for a first-timer? Also, is the map that is included a good map?

I do not have one but i have heard lots of good stuff about it. I think it has a basemap. It will give you an idea of where you are or where you are going but that is about it. Think of a map with only major routes on it.

Thanks for you help! <_<

I have one. And while I love the unit, I hate Magellan's customer/tech support -- or rather, their lack thereof. Normally, mine gets me to the cache itself within 5 to 10 feet, max. So far, I've only been caching in an area that I'm familiar with, so only using the base map that has been included has been sufficient. It has the major roads on it and if you're in an area that you know (or have at least a basic familiarity with), that's all you should need. 'Course if you're anything like I am as a newer cacher...it doesn't prevent unnecessary bushwhacking... :)

I, too, have an Explorist 210 and am very pleased with it's performance. A word of warning about the base maps that you've probably already noticed. They are VERY basic and only contain major thoroughfares. It's not a problem if you're caching in areas that you are familiar with.

I just got a Nuvi for the car. I use the Nuvi to navigate through unfamiliar streets (it has voice guidance) and then use my 210 once I've parked the car. I use POI loader (free from Garmin's site) to load the Caches into the Nuvi.

I use GSAK & Cachemate to load the caches (and related info) onto my Palm.

I use Magellan's Geocache Manager to load cache info into the 210. Most use GSAK for this, but I find Magellan's Geocache Manager very easy to navigate.

Another downfall of the 210 is that it will only hold 100 caches in a file. An easy workaround to this is to make multiple files. I sort them by city or region. When you're in that 'region', you'll need to go into Preferences/Active Setup and set the file up as the default file. It's not really all that complicated and I find it to be quite workable.

The battery life on the 210 seems to be very good if you don't use the backlight a lot.

The 'bread crumb' trail is very accurate when you're needing to backtrack back out of the woods/forest.

All this being said, I should state that generally I cache alone. My family 'just isn't into it'. So the voice guidance of the Nuvi is very helpful. It's just too difficult to try and figure out where you need to drive, unassisted, with the 210.

Like I said, I love the 210 and it's become like a little friend to me.