USB Conncetion with Magellan Explorist 500

When I try to conncect my GPS (Magellan Explorist 500LE) to the computer through USB, i get the following Messsage:

USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB Devices attached to this computer has malfucntioned and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click the message.

The assistance from Windoes is unhelpful. Does anyone have any suggestions?

There are some FAQs pinned at the top of this section.

Try the basics.

Cord should be attached so that it runs down the back of the unit (not up.)

Plug the USB end into computer first then turn on unit.

Try a different USB port, front or back (sometimes this helps.)

You may have to press Menu, Adv. Features, Communications, File Transfer.

If other than XP, you may have to install a driver.

If other than XP, you may have to install a driver.

Not that it is much help, but I've got a similar problem on one of my two PC's... Both run Vista, one 64-bit and the other 32-bit. On the 64-bit machine, I have had only sporadic success getting the eXplorist to connect. About 95% of the time it gives me exactly that error message and the other 5% of the time, it connects, opens a file explorer window and plays happily for about 5 minutes before choking and powering off.

On the 32-bit machine, I can connect without problems, but only in File mode - NMEA does not work as there are no Vista drivers. (The included USB Driver does not work.)

Not sure what OS you're using, but if it's Vista, at least you know you aren't alone.

Cheers!

Glad to see others are having this problem too (though mine is with my Explorist 210). It was working fine, then 30 minutes later it starts coming up with that error. If you go into Device Manager (at least in Windows XP) it says there is no longer a driver installed. If you try to install the driver from the CD, it says it doesn't match the hardware. :) Don't bother emailing Magellan tech support, they weren't much help. Told them everything I did and you can see their response below. BTW, I even told them that I'm a tech! Thanks for the tip regarding the cord, I'll order a new one and try that. I can enter the coordinates manually, but its so much easier using the geocaching software to transfer the info! :P

From Magellan:

Thank you for contacting Magellan. This email is in response to your query about the Explorist 210.

I understand that you are having difficulties in getting the unit detected on your computer.

Before you start doing these steps please check with the operating system in your PC. Because only WINDOWS XP, 2000 would be compatible with Magellan. MACINTOSH would not be compatible with Magellan.

1. Connect the USB cable to the Explorist unit in such a way that the USB cable is pointing downwards towards the battery case.

2. Make sure that the unit is put up in the file transfer mode. After connecting the USB cable to the unit press menu and press enter in the file transfer mode.

3. Make sure that you have connected the USB cable to the rear port and not to the front port of the PC. Then your unit would be detected as a new hardware under "Removable disk E:\\ or G:\\ or F:\\"

4. If you have any external devices like web cam or printer connected to the USB port please remove them.

5. Also if you have any firewall or antivirus enabled in your PC please go ahead and disable them. Then restart your PC.

6. Then remove the USB cable from your unit and power off the unit and then connect the USB cable and then power on the unit.

If the issue still persists, and If you could not install the CD then I would suggest you to please give a call to the technical support department number 1-800-707-9971 so that we would walk you through the trouble shooting steps to fix this issue.

If you have further queries, please get back to us.

You can also contact our Technical Support at 1-800-707-9971 for further assistance.

------------------------------------

Regards,

Steve

Magellan Email Support.

As someone else mentioned it's probably the cable. I had the same problem, called tech support and spent at least 20 minutes with someone from India who could only read the same directions that were also posted here, kept repeating the same things and finally told me to re install the drivers. When that didn't work I called back and fortunately they had a record of what had been said and done during my first call and the next guy at least had a brain and immediately said he'd send a new cord. That was Monday am and by Wed noon the cord was delivered directly to my house.

I realize that this is an older thread but I too had that problem with mine when I first got it. It was a simple fix in my case as the plug on the back of the unit was connected upside down. The wire leaving the conector should be towards the bottom of the unit.

I get this problem from time to time with mine. I also used to get it with my 210. I think the problem is your computer. On my PC it works about half the time, and it helps if I dim the screen on the GPS. On my work PC (a dell) and my wife's laptop (also a dell come to think of it) I never have problems. I think it is a power issue, but I don't know if it would be the computer's power supply, or something specific to the USB.

On my computer it works best when plugged into one of the rear USB ports directly on the motherboard, rather than one of the front USB ports. I hope my experience helps you.

WOW,

I tried EVERYTHING. I flipped the connector over, so that the cord runs down the back of the unit...........INSTANT SUCCESS!!!!! I had no idea the cord was able to connect when running down ward. SWEET>

You have got to be kidding me......I tried everything. I read a few posts and WHAAMMMMM!!!!!!!

Turn the connector over, point the cord down the back of the unit.

I believe that your cable is most likely where the fault lies. The wiring is pretty flimsy. I have gone through three cables in the last two years. I haven't been able to isolate where the break is occurring, but the result was that the USB was not recognizable or had failed the last time.

i think this is the problem--and the reason the explorist line is discontinued.

i had (have) a 500. i wore it out--daily use for 2+ years. the buttons are falling off.

the first issue with this one was the 'nut' you screw the usb to on the back is stripped. (though i just got the USB malfunction using it).

i am currently using the girlfriends 500LE (NA) that she never used. but now, after a few years, that cable has died.

-----

so, i have 2 cables that are giving problems. the usb end is not listed on the magellan site as an accessory (it is available elsewhere). why do some say only 'XXX' model? it is all the same connection.

has anyone taken the 'Y' apart and reconnected the wires? on both my cables the usb wire has been 'pulled' out of the 'y' (i can see the 5 colored wires).

another major flaw with the model line is the battery. the unit never stops charging when plugged in--overheating the battery. i believe i have 4--one nver used, one in good shape and 2 that only will hold a 50% charge [they will make it a half day with LITTLE use other than laying track]. There is no light to tell you 'green/red'....

have they corrected these issues with the new model?

funny how my first search result took me to the GC forums...