Vista HCx for biking - City Navigator NT on DVD

xweb

I have just purchased a Vista HCx with a bike mount so I can use it for biking.

Garmin is recommending the City Navigator NT preloaded on a MicroSD card. I would rather buy the DVD and hand-pick the maps to load on the device, so that I can load both City Navigator and Garmin Topo maps on the same device.

Has anyone used the Vista HCx with City Navigator 8.0 or City Navigator NT? Can you use the maps on the computer and the device?

Thanks in advance...

You definitely want to get the DVD. You can load it on as many computers as you use, and you can load whatever maps you need. From what I understand, a 1 GB card will hold the entire U.S. if you have CN NT.

Thanks, Miragee! That is absolutely what I wanted to hear! :)

Do you know if I can then load topo maps onto the same microSD card? Or do I have to use a different card and switch out cards to access topo maps? I'd love to be able to just get a single 2gb card and load up City Navigator and Garmin US Topo 2008 on it.

You definitely want to get the DVD. You can load it on as many computers as you use, and you can load whatever maps you need. From what I understand, a 1 GB card will hold the entire U.S. if you have CN NT.

Do you know if I can then load topo maps onto the same microSD card? Or do I have to use a different card and switch out cards to access topo maps?

Yes you can load topo maps on the same card as CN maps up to total of 2025 map segments. The topo maps have smaller segments. I use a 2gb card and usually hit the map segment limit before filling the card to capacity. Switching between them in the field is a bit clunky but it works.

Do you know if I can then load topo maps onto the same microSD card? Or do I have to use a different card and switch out cards to access topo maps?

Yes you can load topo maps on the same card as CN maps up to total of 2025 map segments. The topo maps have smaller segments. I use a 2gb card and usually hit the map segment limit before filling the card to capacity. Switching between them in the field is a bit clunky but it works.

Great, thanks for the info, media601! :P

Now I can spend another $200 on maps to go with my $250 GPS. :)

The HCx does rock though, I got 9 satellites inside my apartment. In less than a minute.

how many units is the software restricted to? or can you load the software on as many gps units as you can?

My Vista HCX arrives tomorrow along with Topo 2008 and US Cities as above. I got a 2G card yesterday to be prepared. So, how hard is it to switch between the two packages when loaded? This is my first GPS, so how many map segments are there for say California? I want to use this unit for hiking as well as getting around cities on foot or rental car. I read that the USB is only 1.1 which is only 1.2Mb/sec max. Does it take a while to download the 2G flash or can I do it directly to the flash card to save time?

Thanks,

Barry

how many units is the software restricted to? or can you load the software on as many gps units as you can?

You get a single unlock code when you purchase the software. You would need to purchase additional unlock codes for additional units.

I got the CN 2008, loaded up maps and took it to SoCal with a route preloaded to try it out. Driving along the freeways it would be telling me to take U turns periodically even though I was on teh freeway and it was a straight path. Later, I asked it to take me to Laguna Beach from I5 and it refused to recognize the very direct route 133 that I was on taking me long distance out of the way. If i wre unfamiliar with the area, I would have been in deep ssss. I thought this would be a good navigator in a rental car. Any ideas?