Geocaching Back in Time

Let's say that the impossible happened and you were able to travel 150 years back in time to hide a geocache that you wanted to make sure could be found today. In other words, whatever spot you chose to hide it in would have to be muggle proof, bulldozer proof, etc for 150 years.

It's 1857. You've got just a couple days to pick a hiding spot then you're zooming "back to the future" to 2007 to attempt to find your cache. Knowing what you know now, where would you hide that cache 150 years ago to make sure you could find it still intact today?

(Let's assume that the cache container won't rot or disintegrate over time -- the question is where, not whether time travel is possible or what container would be most suitable to the task)

Let's say that the impossible happened and you were able to travel 150 years back in time to hide a geocache that you wanted to make sure could be found today. In other words, whatever spot you chose to hide it in would have to be muggle proof, bulldozer proof, etc for 150 years.

It's 1857. You've got just a couple days to pick a hiding spot then you're zooming "back to the future" to 2007 to attempt to find your cache. Knowing what you know now, where would you hide that cache 150 years ago to make sure you could find it still intact today?

(Let's assume that the cache container won't rot or disintegrate over time -- the question is where, not whether time travel is possible or what container would be most suitable to the task)

Before I delve into the question you have raised, please contact me IMMEDIATELY via PM or email (on Profile page) and tell me where you purchased or found your time travel device. My own time-space gateway device stopped working four months ago, and I cannot repair it, nor can I find a replacement device anywhere, not even on the Internet. Your revelation that you own, or have access to, a functional time travel device is wonderful news and only you can get me out of my present dilemma of being stuck here and unable to time travel. Thank you in advance for extending the needful assistance.

I can think of a few places out the prairie that have a very good chance of a cache lasting that long. About 10 years ago,a local tourist attraction for the Oregon Trail unearthed a "cache" of old trunks apparently buried by a pioneer that had an overweight wagon 150 years ago.

The hollow tree I have one stashed in at about 11,000 feet appears in a 1910 photograph of the area laying much the same way it lies now.

Before I delve into the question you have raised, please contact me IMMEDIATELY via PM or email (on Profile page) and tell me where you purchased or found your time travel device. My own time-space gateway device stopped working four months ago, and I cannot repair it, nor can I find a replacement device anywhere, not even on the Internet. Your revelation that you own, or have access to, a functional time travel device is wonderful news and only you can get me out of my present dilemma of being stuck here and unable to time travel. Thank you in advance for extending the needful assistance.

Did you ask you local Garbage trash man?

(Dilbert reference......)

Since there were no rules against burying a cache 150 years ago I'd bury it in the Indian mound on my farm.

Before you ask, no it isn't a burial ground, I've been told it was more of a garbage heap. I've dug into it fairly deeply once and found nothing but dirt, but it's possible that at some point in the future I WILL travel back in time and create the mound myself to hide a cache in, which is already there waiting for me to retrieve it. <_<

Sounds like some good ideas. I often though perhaps in a forest, but so many forests catch fire or are lumbered out... and populated places, chances are it would be found... historical sites could work, but they become so popular that the cache would probably be muggled. A cave would probably last, but then again it might be explored and the cache found... I kinda like the cemetery idea though. Lots of markers are at least 150 years old, and people don't usually bother them much...

A lot can happen in 150 years!

Kinda sorta did... maybe... <_<

The Twilight Zone

For Non Premium members-

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Geocachers hike on many trails. Trails that lead them to a fixed point in space where they hope to find a cache, usually a container that holds the traces of those who have been there before. The cache you are about to search for will lead you on an adventure unlike any other. For you see, most caches, in addition to being fixed to a certain point in space, are usually tied to a fixed point in time. The particular trail you are about to embark on is very particular indeed, for the fabric on which time's tapestry is weaved, wears very thin here.

The trail in question is The Gambo Gunpowder Mill trail, which contains remnants of the historical Gambo Powder Mills, built in 1824, incorporated into the Oriental Powder Mills in 1859 and which later became the Dupont Powder Mill, which ran until 1905. This complex was once the fourth largest powder mill in the country and produced gunpowder that was exported all over the world. During the Civil War the mill ran day and night producing two and one half million pounds of gunpowder per year, which represented 25% of the gunpowder used by the Union forces. The gunpowder was loaded in boats and shipped down the river along the Cumberland and Oxford Canal to Portland where it was then sailed to Boston.

Wooden wheelbarrows made with non-sparking copper alloy nails were used to move the gunpowder around. All of the buildings were placed far apart so that any explosion at one building would not affect the others. Despite these measures, there were many explosions at the mills, which led to 46 unfortunate deaths between 1828 and 1924.

As you travel along part of the old canal towpath, you will see some of the massive stone foundations left behind from this time. "This time", of course, being relative. Some believe time to run in a linear fashion... moments sliding by, one after the other. But time can be tricky. Are we living in the future of the past or the past of some looming future? Perhaps all these exist at once.

We usually perceive only our own present, but on this trail, you just might get a glimpse of some other time. Perhaps the stone remnants of that faraway time hold in them some of the memories of those who worked and died here. Perhaps the electricity being generated by the nearby dam creates an atmosphere conducive to other energy. Perhaps that high-pitched hum which pervades the woods serves as a carrier between dimensions. Add to the mix a simple ammo can. A box not so long ago used to carry ammunition, now residing near a place where men worked and died producing large amounts of gunpowder.

Enjoy your walk on these historical paths. Whether or not you will feel or see anything as a result of all this synchronicity is a matter of conjecture. For this is not only a journey of sight and sound, but of mind. One thing is for certain… those are the coordinates up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

Please read the note on the first page of the log book. While the ticks are light (only found 1 on us after several trips in), the skeeters are thick! You will need bug spray! You will not need to move any rocks to find this cache. Also... beware that the rocks can be slippery when wet. It should be noted that there are two trails that run adjacent to each other before meeting up further up the trail. The one on the east side, closest to the water, starts closer to the Gambo Gunpowder Mill Gambit cache. This one is the most scenic, showing more ruins, but does require you to cross an elevated 12" sq. beam. The other trail on the west side starts slightly further west, up Gambo Rd.

There are several other nice caches within walking distance. Please replace as found.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a country with a history that goes back well over a thousand years.

I've searched for caches at ancient viking burial mounds and other places that are 250+ years old, and done some translations for others that I haven't been to that date back to iron age times.

It's major cool to be able to go walk around these places and feel the spirit that is there, to use your imagination to think of what it was like, to realize that 1000+ years back people were there, living, laughing, loving and dying...

As for now, though, I'd leave a cache at one of the major cathedrals here in Sweden.... Either that or a Nokia phone store <_< given the addiction Swedes have to their cell phones lol!

I'd put one in one of the Redwoods nearby. We have lots of State Parks full of 'em around me and it would be neat to see how high it was then versus now.

why would it be any higher in the tree? there is a witness point for surveying nailed to a tree in my yard. i've lived here 20 years and it's at the same height it's always been.

trees don't grow up from the bottom like grass does. <_<

I'd put one in one of the Redwoods nearby. We have lots of State Parks full of 'em around me and it would be neat to see how high it was then versus now.

why would it be any higher in the tree? there is a witness point for surveying nailed to a tree in my yard. i've lived here 20 years and it's at the same height it's always been.

I maybe wrong but I took it to mean "how tall the trees were then versus how tall they are now."

Otherwise you are correct, a cache hidden in one will stay at the same hight regardles of how much the tree grows, but if it's against the tree then it maybe inside the tree now. :P

<_< To Vinny and Sue team regarding your time machine. Have you checked the flux capaciter?

Unfortunately, it was a small esoteric component called a "quantum subspace mat modulator" -- which seems to be a near equivalent of the concept behind a "flux capacitor" -- that blew up, and we have been able to neither repair it nor find a replacement anywhere, not even on Ebay or on the Lab-X scientific auction website, and not even in the shadowy underground fringe-science/UFO-nut black markets. The lack of a functional gateway device is quite crippling to my research and has also trapped a guest/visitor here from 11th century Europe (at least until we can get the darn thing fixed.)

Seems like a cemetary would hold things for a very long time.

So I'd probably would hide one inside one of these types of tombs:

thetomb1898.jpg

You are so right about that.

Prior to his retirement, my Dad was the superintendent fot the cemeteries in my home town. One of those tombs was in disrepair (it was a family tomb that was supposed to be used to hold members over the winter until the ground thawed enough to bury them). When He opened it to start the construction. He found more thana dozen coffins and bones (all well over 100 years old). It turns out, someone got lazy and sealed it up without interring the bodies. He sealed it up right away and scheduled the state archaeologist to come out. He still says that Archaeologist's visit was one of the most interesting days of his

career.

Here's a link to a brief story, just scroll down a little

Places of Interest in East Hartford

I maybe wrong but I took it to mean "how tall the trees were then versus how tall they are now."

Otherwise you are correct, a cache hidden in one will stay at the same hight regardles of how much the tree grows, but if it's against the tree then it maybe inside the tree now. :P

It may even be "lower" because the ground rises as debris builds up.

Bury it 10' deep on some undeveloped land...that later becomes the subdivision I build a home in. Let the excavator unearth it for me when they dig the basement. <_<

I have a funny little story about that. I was in fifth grade in 1976. In 1976 Fifth graders hid LOTS of time capsules (bicentennial year and all). A couple of years after graduating from high school I was back in town with one of my friends and we drove by his old elementary school where he had buried one with his class too. The area he buried it was now a parking lot. We went to the Town Hall/Board of Education/anyone who would listen and actually found someone who was involved with paving the old schoolground over (not to hard, my Dad worked for Public Works for 40 years. If it got built in town and he didn't do it, he knew who did) It was never dug up.

We figure it's going to be there for a while.