Don't Know What Benchmarks These Are

icefall5

Yesterday my family decided to go to the beach. We were walking along the pier when I spotted a survey disk. My mom had her camera, so I snapped a picture of it. I then found another , and I snapped a picture of that one too. The only problem is, I can't figure out which disks they are. If someone could help me, I would really appreciate it.

It would be on either page 1 or 2 of the search page for 49417.

benchmark1hb9.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

benchmark2zp0.jpg

Edited by icefall5

I don't believe the benchmarks on this site include US Army Corps of Engineers benchmarks.

Yep. GC.com imports solely from the USGS database. Sometimes marks from other agencies will be included in that database, but most wont be.

And yes, this one is a US Army Corps of Engineers mark. I would guess there is a dam, or other structure nearby that was built and is maintained by the USACE.

Edited by Blue_stone

Blue_stone -

The Benchmarking database is a copy of the NGS (National Geodetic Survey) database from 2000. That database includes benchmarks set by a great many agencies; Federal, State, County, and City. There are several Corps of Engineers (and the predecessors of that agency) included in the NGS database and therefore the Benchmarking database.

If your disk is included in the Benchmarking database (search with its coordinates by going to the Benchmark Search and FAQ page and clicking on "Other search options" and then click the "by coordinates" radio button), you can log it there. Otherwise, you can log it in the US Benchmarks Waymarking site.