My parnet try to stop me play geocaching

deafnut

last night my brother lost his key to car while we lok for cache ... my father mad me and say never again u will not play geocaching ...

do u agrre or disagree......

i love to play geocaching ... i was born to it ... i finally go out lot than stay home ... wwhen i got to alaska frist year i stay at room and surf around . till i find on newpaper about geocaching . start like it and fall in love :)

Good luck with it, Deafhunt! I enjoy watching you post your experiences.

As a father of six I know something about where your Dad is coming from... we want to remove all risk from our children's lives!

Of course we know that we can't, so we worry and sometimes over-react.

My kids are 32, 30, 28, 27, 18 and 17 and I still worry about each of them, and fuss about safety and risk-avoidance when things happen.

When something happens, even a minor something, we tend to exclaim "I knew something bad would happen!" and try harder to protect our younguns.

I suspect he'll get over it, all parents know that we have to let our kids get out in the world, even if we don't much like it!

Be patient.

Buy a few extra magnetic keyholders. When you can't find a guardrail with a nice overlook, you can always use one to stick an extra key under the fender. :laughing:

Good way to lose a key as well. If you drive on rough terrain at all, those things will fall off. Plus theives know to look for them. Best solution is to crawl under the car and find a place you can WIRE a key to the car-wrap it in plastic and tape so it won't corrode too badly, and secure it to a place you can remember, but people won't think to look.

last night my brother lost his key to car while we lok for cache ... my father mad me and say never again u will not play geocaching ...

Makes no sense to me. If the keys were lost at the grocery store, would he forbid you from going to the grocery store?

If the keys were lost at work, would he forbid you form going to work.

That said, it makes no sense to me, but I'm not your father. You'll have to reason with him.

Edited by briansnat

"Son, if I see *one* more forum thread questioning my parneting decisions, my next decision will be to take away your internet access."

Translation: This is a private matter to resolve with your parnets.

Agreed if the kid was a minor. Agreed as an adult, but then the kid can ask for opinions to help him deal with his parents. This kid is not a minor anymore.

My take.

If you are borrowing the car, live with the restrictions. Simple as that. It's not a parenting thing. It's nothing more than the restrictions a rental car company would put on you. "Don't take this car off paved roads" puts a damper on a lot of caching. That it's a parent that said it though can complicate things.

If it's your car and you are an adult...Thats another thing.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Speaking as a parent, many "you'll never do that again" rules are borne of fear and love for your child. I'm sure that your parents were not only afraid of what MIGHT have happened, but were also aggravated at the bother of having to either go look for the key or get another key made. Demonstrate your ability to be responsible by purchasing a key lanyard to wear around your neck (under your clothing, so it doesn't get caught on anything), and carry a spare key there when you go caching.

Frankly, I know that if I were a parent I would not want strangers telling me how to raise my children. This is not a matter for these forums frankly. As Keystone said, this is a private matter for you to resolve in private. Though people may give opinions from their perspective, the only opinion that matters is your dad's.

When I lived in my parents house, I did what they asked because it was their house. It didn't matter if I was 14, 18 (or 30 for that matter). It is his house.

Everyone's situation is different, so any advise in these forums would probably end up counterproductive. If your dad knew you brought this up in this forum, I bet he would not be happy to boot.

Agreed if the kid was a minor. Agreed as an adult, but then the kid can ask for opinions to help him deal with his parents. This kid is not a minor anymore.

You should probably look at his profile and his profile picture. (Picture taken on a school bus.) Looks like a minor to me.

...It's nothing more than the restrictions a rental car company would put on you. "Don't take this car off paved roads" puts a damper on a lot of caching...

A bit of topic drift here, based upon Renegade Knight's earlier comment... I always assume, when I am renting cars at airports, that I am not allowed to take them on dirt roads. A while back, while picking up my rental car at the Jackson, WY airport, I kinda timidly asked if I would be able to take the car on dirt roads (I was, of course, thinking of geocaching...!) The woman looked at me in amazement, and said "Well, of course, half of our roads in this county are dirt roads, and all of our driveways are long and unpaved, so that is just a necessity!"

I think you're just as likely to lose a car key or any other boneheaded move doing anything else as you are while caching. Man I almost had that happen to me out placing a cache earlier this year, looked around for about 3 hours, found them just before it got dark. phew.

You should probably look at his profile and his profile picture. (Picture taken on a school bus.) Looks like a minor to me.

He isn't. Deafhunt, didn't you say you turn 21 this month? Happy Birthday, by the way.

do u agrre or disagree......

i love to play geocaching ... i was born to it ... i finally go out lot than stay home ... wwhen i got to alaska frist year i stay at room and surf around . till i find on newpaper about geocaching . start like it and fall in love :laughing:

Try this: next time your old man tells you to go get him a 40 and some smokes, lose your keys on the way.

Reminds me of the time I was 18. New Year's Eve, I took the train into The City for New Years at Times Square. For some strange reason, my mother thought I'd be back by midnight. (Yah, right. She really believed that?) Last TUBE train from Journal Square was 12:20 to Hoboken. 1 AM train to Morristown go me in about 1:45. Home by 2 AM. Mom was waiting up for me. Our parents love us and worry about us. Mom was still worrying about all of us when she died at age 92.

Just be patient. Being a father I know what it is like to worry about my kids. Your father is only looking out for you. When you get the chance talk to your Dad and explain how much you love geocaching and you will see him willing to talk. :blink:

mtn-man is right. it would be better to discuss this with him than with anyone here, I know if my son posted a question like this I would ground him for awhile. <_<