MicroSD cards foe 60CSx

rutson

Due to an 'unfortunate incident' at the weekend, I have reluctantly been forced to upgrade to a 60CSx ;-)

There's a lot of information on the world-wide-waste-of-time about microSD (in)compatibility in these units, but it's not clear what is the current state of affairs.

I'm wanting to buy a 2gb car for it, can anyone confirm a make/model which definitely works?

Due to an 'unfortunate incident' at the weekend, I have reluctantly been forced to upgrade to a 60CSx ;-)

There's a lot of information on the world-wide-waste-of-time about microSD (in)compatibility in these units, but it's not clear what is the current state of affairs.

I'm wanting to buy a 2gb car for it, can anyone confirm a make/model which definitely works?

AFAIK just stay away from the high speed cards - there is an issue with the firmware that fries these on the first write attempt. Get a bog standard card and you should be fine - officially only 512mb is supported, but I have 1gb and I've read on here that folks use 2gb without problems too.

I also bought a 2Gb micro SD card for my 60CSx from Mobymemory. Just make sure that you select one that is clearly identified as 'TransFlash compatible' and you'll not have any problem. Currently about 13 of our fine English quids.

Just looked in the back of mine and I got a 2gig scan disk from moby mem topo uk fits with room to spare :laughing:

Learn from my experience. :)

I bought mine at the same time as the unit (60csx) from Aspidshop in Portugal.

I chose to buy a good quality card instead of a budget range one and opted for the Sandisk Ultra.

It didn't work but they replaced it and I burnt a second one before finding out that the Ultra range are not compatible and both the cards are now fried! :)

Lesson 60CSX's fry Sandisk ULTRA cards.

Stick to there cheaper range and you should be ok.

I only use a 1gb so can't advise on 2gb compatibility...sorry.

1gb will fit whole of UK mapsource and Europe down to Paris/Frankfurt etc. Plus SMC contours for whole of UK.

plus Tracks 4 Australia and Malsingmaps roads and contours of Singapore.... B)

Cheers

Dave

Just got me a 60CSx. It came with a 128MB SD card but I have a spare 512MB card that I can put in it.

Question - if I do swap them over will the map and waypoints load automatically onto the new card via MapSource or is there something else that I have to do?

I could read the instruction book but I think I'd have lost the will to live by the time I've found what I'm looking for!

Thanks

TLHM

Hmmm.....it took the waypoints across but not the map! When I transfer to the Garmin it only lets me select waypoints and not maps.

Put the 60csx into card reader mode with original card installed - make a copy of the original card contents (Drag and drop - specifically the .IMG file in the Garmin directory). Eject and insert new card, copy back into the same directory structure & bob should be your mothers brother.

J

Best thing is to boot it up and give it a lash

Hmmm.....it took the waypoints across but not the map! When I transfer to the Garmin it only lets me select waypoints and not maps.

That's because waypoints (tracks, routes etc) are held in the built-in memory and maps (and POI, I think) are held on on the MicroSD memory.

I use a 1Gb card which is sufficient for the Map Source maps for the whole of the UK and CI, plus part of France. I bought a card from the same range as the one that came with the unit (Kingston) to be sure of compatability.

Not if you're using Topo V2. The UK map requires 2GB as it holds more detail than other maps. Map Source is the name of the tool for managing Garmin's maps. Topo, City Navigator etc. are the names of the maps.