"Ring of Fire" making it our 1000th cache

SeabeckTribe

The Tribe is planning a trip to the Ring of Fire to make it our 1000th cache. :lol: We're planning on Saturday September 1, 2007. We haven't set a time yet, but probably late morning. So we wanted to see if anyone might like to join up with us. There are a couple other caches in this area that we will be picking up also.

Too bad that is the day of my potluck, I might have gone..

The thin rope used for the first (easy) descent is gone, all but the first five feet. A replacement would not go amiss here. It needn't be a climbing rope; a thick nautical nylon line would work fine. Fifty feet should do it, I think.

The firehoses are rotting and I didn't feel comfortable depending on them. There are a couple of new nylon cords installed in parallel; I used these to keep my balance but not to support my weight.

If it's a warm day, bring some river shoes and swim in the creek.

Great ideas on the rope. Pack-it-in & Pack-it-out. We heard that there are three stages to get down into the gully. The first with a rope and the second with the fire hose. Is there a third? Should we bring three seperate ropes just incase? Aproximately how far is this path down into the gully? Klossner mentioned 50 feet of rope at the first stage. How long is/was the fire hose?

One of the things we are concered about is the gate. How far is it from the gate to the beginning of the path down to the cache? Not all of us have bikes and a few in the group won't have enough energy for the to walk to and from the gate. From what we hear it will take most or almost all our energy to get down and back up from cache. We are trying to round up enough bikes for all of us, but if the gate is open we sure don't want to have to bring all those bikes with us if there is no need too.

Thanks to you all for the info. It sure help get us prepared.

Lummieh

aka Ole Woman of the Tribe and designated driver

(And will be watching my fellow cachers descend from above!)

Edited by SeabeckTribe

Great ideas on the rope. Pack-it-in & Pack-it-out. We heard that there are three stages to get down into the gully. The first with a rope and the second with the fire hose. Is there a third? Should we bring three seperate ropes just incase? Aproximately how far is this path down into the gully? Klossner mentioned 50 feet of rope at the first stage. How long is/was the fire hose?

One of the things we are concered about is the gate. How far is it from the gate to the beginning of the path down to the cache? Not all of us have bikes and a few in the group won't have enough energy for the to walk to and from the gate. From what we hear it will take most or almost all our energy to get down and back up from cache. We are trying to round up enough bikes for all of us, but if the gate is open we sure don't want to have to bring all those bikes with us if there is no need too.

Thanks to you all for the info. It sure help get us prepared.

Lummieh

aka Ole Woman of the Tribe and designated driver

(And will be watching my fellow cachers descend from above!)

When I went with two of my old buddies, we had no issues with a gate and were able to drive right to the trail head. If you get stopped at a gate and have to "ride" in, it will be a long ride.

As far as the rope issue goes...check out the pics that I posted for that Geocache. It has some good pics of what's there to use. The first rope, like mentioned before is all but gone. You will need something there for the first part of the trip down. The second part has the fire hose. This is a very vertical wall with a "step", kindof. I used the hose just like I would for anything else. I wrapped it around my waist and held on to it with my left hand. My right hand was in front of me grasping on to the hose. It was my "brake". I way 200lbs. and had all my weight on this hose with no issues. If you go down holding on to the hose like my bud "Big Doog" did, "both hands on the hose in front of you", you will loose your footing and kiss the rock. The third stage has a few step down ledges and then slopes at an angle down to the train. This section has a regular rope and is tied at both ends to trees. Stay on the inside "between the rope and the mountain" as you make your way down. Bring some good tight fitting leather gloves or mechanics gloves as I found afterwards you get rope slivers in your hands. The way up isn't too bad, but I'm 6' 3" so the ledges werent too bad. My bud that was with me is pushing 5'9" and weighed 325+lbs and had one heck of a time making it up. I had to literally push his rear end up the ledges. So with that said.....good luck. It's beautiful down there. I went on a rainy wet day, but I bet in the summer it's beautiful. Take care!

Edited by JEEOCASHER

Well we did it!

We all (The Tribe & the Bears) got to OSORC on Thursday and started planning the route we would do after the Ring of Fire. Since no one else was going to do this cache on Saturday with us, we decided to do it on Friday. This way we could cache all day Saturday. If we waited till then to do the Ring of Fire, we would have had to sit around all day Friday. We were at 999 and didn't want to spoil our 1000th cache we had been planning for so long.

We arrived at the area about noon and found some campers and thier site right where we had to walk through to the trail. We asked them if they would mind us cutting through their camp to the trail head and explained the reason. They had no problem with that. They were very interested in the story about how the train got there and Geocaching. We brought about 500 feet of rope with us to be sure we had enough and used about 400 of it. Half of the tribe and Papa Bear made the trip down. Naha Tyee gave her moccasins to Dancing Deer because we weren't going to let her go down in cowboy boots! So Naha stayed up on top with Lummieh. Ole Siam went part of the way down. He hasn't been back to this part of the country for a long time. He use to work at Camp Grisdale and remembered visiting this site more than once. In his younger years he fished the Wynoochee River many times by floating and wading through the rivers gully. Hyas Tyee, Little Bear and Dancing Deer, along with Papa Bear, made the trip down and back just fine. Nana Bear want to go down really bad, but just wasn't sure if she could make it back up. So she watch them decend from the top.

Our computer stopped working, so we didn't get a chance to check our email or send ironman114 a message about doing the cache on Friday. When we got home we found out the he had made trip to the cache just after we left there. We were so disappointed about missing him.

This cache is a must for those that like a challenge. Thank you ironman for placing and maintaining it. We will return to do it again!

Our next challenging cache is the Mission 9: Tunnel of Light - Project Ape Cache on Snoqualmie Pass. But we are not going to wait for our 2000th to do this one. Maybe next summer.

Glad it worked out so well for you, Seabeck, and congrats on the big 1-0-0-0!! :D

Some of us going to the Grays Harbor CM hope to get Ring of Fire before/after the event. Didja leave us any ropes? :)

We didn't leave any, but ironman said "replaced the ropes with a better one. The fire hose is still there. The upper portion isn't good but the last section is still strong." But it can't hurt to bring extra. Good luck and have fun! :D You'll see part of the Tribe at the GHCM.