Do You Carry a Gun While Geocaching?

When I go hiking in a remote location, miles from any type of civilization, I only carry a airhorn and some bear "mace".

If I am in a major city, I keep a small .38 special around my ankle, a .357 in my belt, a .45 on my chest, a .223 semi-auto sniper rifle in the trunk, along with a few 10 barrel double-gauge shotguns, a small anti-tank weapon, and a flamethrower. If it's a historical part of the city, I try to find some black powder and cannonballs that fit any cannons on display.

Other than that, I don't carry any weapons.

When I go hiking in a remote location, miles from any type of civilization, I only carry a airhorn and some bear "mace".

If I am in a major city, I keep a small .38 special around my ankle, a .357 in my belt, a .45 on my chest, a .223 semi-auto sniper rifle in the trunk, along with a few 10 barrel double-gauge shotguns, a small anti-tank weapon, and a flamethrower. If it's a historical part of the city, I try to find some black powder and cannonballs that fit any cannons on display.

Other than that, I don't carry any weapons.

And where can I get me one of these 10 barrel double-gauge shotguns? :laughing:

I've been carrying one of these [photo below] and am looking for something lighter...

Howitzer.jpg

Edited by irchriscdk

The 10 barrel double-gauge is a very old design. The new ones are top-secret and only the military are supposed to have them. Here is what the first ones looked like:

1milita4.jpg

Not to be confused with the double barrel 10 gauge (which is a fairly puny weapon)

I used to keep a multibarrel Gatlin gun mounted on the hood of my car, but I got pulled over too many times (all the cops were jealous and wanted one), and it was limited with less barrels.

gatlingun.jpg

gatlin5.jpg

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

:rolleyes: WOW! I would probably never cache where a gun would be part of my day! God bless you all! Your lives are much tougher than mine! :o

It is absolutely necessary in some areas if you want a FTF.

We live in a state (Maryland) in the USA which has had, since early 2005 and the passage of state Bill V304, some VERY liberal laws in effect when it comes to Geocacher Rights, and any experienced (over 50 finds as listed on GC website) and state-certified geocacher is allowed to carry a firearm and to kill potential FTF competitors (the law refers to them as "geocacher first to find enemy combatants) and muggles at will, so long as we tag the body on the left wrist or the left ankle within three minutes of the kill with a state-issued Geocacher Rights Bill V304 Sanctioned Kill tag which bears our name, state geocaching license number, reason (FTF enemy combatant or geo-muggle), and time/date of kill. This is not a bad deal in return for the measly annual state license fee of $67.50...

I don't even have a gun. However my cousin up in Alaska always carry a gun (big gun not a .22) caching or whatever and a bell on his leg to scare bears away. He had to kill a grizzy once after it charged at him- it got 50 feet away from him before dropping dead. I think he also had to kill a black bear once too.

I have another family member that lives in Colorado around mountain lions and he came across a few but each ran away after he fired his gun in the air.

So my answer is... depends one where you are.

If you think an area is so unsafe that you feel the need to carry a gun, it can't be a very safe place.

~.~Scare Force One

Thank goodness for "gun free" zones.

Thank goodness for malls with the "no handguns" policy signs on the doors.

There are plenty of "safe places" where the criminals are potentially more "safe" than honest citizens.

PS: I carry a Sig p229 in 40.

Unintentional shootings accounted for 27% of firearm deaths. Ask these groups of people what they think about people who carry guns;

A 4-year-old Hartford boy died early yesterday after he apparently shot himself with a revolver he found in a bedroom closet - the third youngster to die in an accidental shooting in Connecticut in the last month, the police said.

Two 12-year-old boys, one from Naugatuck and the other from Hartford, were killed in accidental shootings on June 22 and July 8.

These childern are dead so you can't ask them but I bet their parents are very willing to talk about people carrying/owning guns.

Have you statistics for "accidental" shootings related to folks carrying concealed?

It really sounds as though you are simply anti-gun, rather than anti-carry.

Edited by Fogtripper

My friend carried a pistol and found it heavy and uncomfortable . I carry a small pepper spray .

Very light and very comfortable .

He has to be very accurate to hit a rabid animal big or small . Taking several shots increases the risk to others or yourself .

I dont need to be accurate to stop a moose ,skunk or dog . I can spray a very wide coverage area Like the whole face of a animal .

A pistol you shoot a animals nose off and really piss it off .

A bear will lay down and cry for an hr when sprayed . Try to stop a bear at close range when he is in

attack mode . Good luck .

Its one thing to hunt and sneak arround all stealthy Its another when you are under attack up close and personal .

I dont care if you carry a cannon

But you better be as good as you SAY YOU ARE !!!!!

My friend carried a pistol and found it heavy and uncomfortable . I carry a small pepper spray .

Very light and very comfortable .

He has to be very accurate to hit a rabid animal big or small . Taking several shots increases the risk to others or yourself .

I dont need to be accurate to stop a moose ,skunk or dog . I can spray a very wide coverage area Like the whole face of a animal .

A pistol you shoot a animals nose off and really piss it off .

A bear will lay down and cry for an hr when sprayed . Try to stop a bear at close range when he is in

attack mode . Good luck .

Its one thing to hunt and sneak arround all stealthy Its another when you are under attack up close and personal .

I dont care if you carry a cannon

But you better be as good as you SAY YOU ARE !!!!!

I read the "Bear Spray VS Bullets" article that you are referring to, but I don't buy their argument. I get the impression that they are biased towards a less than lethal method (pepper spray) vs bullets, because the Grizzlies were still a protected species. To me, they want to protect the bears.

You might not have thought of this, but many hikers / outdoorsman carry both a spray deterent, and a firearm for back-up. This goes for urban dwellers who carry concealed weapons as well.

The topic of this thread is "Do you carry a gun while geocaching, and have you ever used it?" Posts should relate to that topic.

The joke pictures belong in the off topic forum.

The social policy debates belong in the off topic forum.

Preferably in separate threads, but so long as it's not in this one, I don't much care.

Thanks.

I love how I started this thread, then the very second post is a bunch of links to other similar threads, but this thread eventually goes on for 9 pages anyway.

Being the thread starter, I totally disagree with Keystone's ideas of how this thread should be handled. Since Keystone is just "following guidelines" I presume. I guess I disagree with Groundspeak's idea of how my thread should be handled.

Either way, I don't want to get banned anymore so I'll stay on topic.....

No, I don't carry guns while caching except for the bulging biceps on my left and right arms.

If you think an area is so unsafe that you feel the need to carry a gun, it can't be a very safe place.

~.~Scare Force One

There are plenty of "safe places" where the criminals are potentially more "safe" than honest citizens.

Unintentional shootings accounted for 27% of firearm deaths. Ask these groups of people what they think about people who carry guns;

A 4-year-old Hartford boy died early yesterday after he apparently shot himself with a revolver he found in a bedroom closet - the third youngster to die in an accidental shooting in Connecticut in the last month, the police said.

Two 12-year-old boys, one from Naugatuck and the other from Hartford, were killed in accidental shootings on June 22 and July 8.

These childern are dead so you can't ask them but I bet their parents are very willing to talk about people carrying/owning guns.

Have you statistics for "accidental" shootings related to folks carrying concealed?

You are correct. I am extreamly anti-gun. Would you bring a gun to your kids soccer game or your favorite teams football game? Why does this sport require you to carry a gun.

~.~Scare Force One

You are correct. I am extreamly anti-gun. Would you bring a gun to your kids soccer game or your favorite teams football game? Why does this sport require you to carry a gun.

~.~Scare Force One

Interesting, in that you live in a state that does not require any licensing or training for concealed carry and yet has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. If you interact with society at all you are around guns all day, every day whether you know it or not.

~.~Scare Force One

PM sent with response, as I have been warned not to discuss further in this thread.

~.~Scare Force One

Think about this:

a. The number of physicians in the US is 700,000.

b. Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year is 120,000.

c. Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171. (US Dept. of Health & Human Services)

Then think about this:

a. The number of gun owners in the US is 80,000,000.

b. The number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) is 1,500.

c. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .0000188.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets out of hand. As a public health measure I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear that the shock could cause people to seek medical attention.

~.~Scare Force One