Do You Carry a Gun While Geocaching?

96%. I don't know the test maker's answer to the 9mm vs. .40 question but I have a feeling I'd probably disagree with him.

55% and I really don't care about most of the guns they asked about so I guessed.

.40, 45. 9mm in that order is what I've heard, but they are also close enough in stopping power to where it's a matter of splitting hairs.

.40, 45. 9mm in that order is what I've heard, but they are also close enough in stopping power to where it's a matter of splitting hairs.

Exactly, they're all equally underpowered.

But if they come out of the barrel FAST enough (cyclic rate), they ALL have pretty good stopping power :D

This Sunday, I and my Father-in-law plan to be 100% gun nuts. ;);)

A certain hillside in KY is going to get a good remote-control plowing! ;);)

We might hit a cache or two while we're out, but we won't be packing the big hardware if we do.

I was a little disappointed at 94% because I do love my guns. On the question of do I carry a gun while Geochaching of course I do but I also carry a gun every where else and my wife does also. As far as training goes I thought I was up to speed when I my wife and I decided to take a handgun combat course. I now believe anyone can benefit from professional training and besides it is a lot of fun. I got my first gun when I was 5 years old and am now 52 with over 100 guns in my collection and it goes to show you you can always learn something new.

Vic

I don't carry a gun, but as I hike in more remote areas I think I may start. I've only shot a gun once so far so it would be a while before I get permits and such.

So do you carry a gun? What kind? Have you ever used it? On animals?

Yes !Various, You never know what may happen in the city or out in the desert !I have had one with me for the last 30

years,I have had to pull it out 2 times but never had to use it.

96%. I don't know the test maker's answer to the 9mm vs. .40 question but I have a feeling I'd probably disagree with him.

Ok I admit it.... I cheated. When I didn't know an answer I used Google :D I got 100%

The 9mm vs .40 answer was .40 is better for self defense. The reason is that 9mm's tend to go right thru their target, the .40 tends to mushroom more.... and even it it didn't it leaves a bigger hole :D

That being said.... I still carry a 9mm. I can afford to shoot it a lot more than a .40

Now to comment on something the OP said....

There are NO permits needed to carry a weapon in AZ, the OP's state unless that weapon is concealed. AZ is a Gold-Star OPEN CARRY state.

That being said, it's still a good idea to have that CPL, just in case your shirt or coat should accidently cover the weapon.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

I have often thought about it but not sure I want to bother with the weight - I have never encountered a need for one - but I may just have been lucky. Pistol doesn't help much for yellow jackets. I guess I worry more about people than animals - I think you could fire the gun and animal would run away but a People might just come back with a bigger one. I also wonder if I had one - would I want to display it. Not sure about that - an animal encounter might happen really fast so ya need to get it quick - a people encounter might need some very careful thinking.

77% - not bad

I'm only 26, so I don't know that much about the older guns.

I too wonder about what the test maker considered the answer for the 9mm vs .40 for self defense. I can tell you in my personal experience carrying a 9mm in Iraq that its junk. I've put half a magazine in someone and they are still standing. I really wish the military would get rid of the 9mm, and the 5.56 for that matter, neither one has much knockdown power.

As to the OP. I have a PA carry permit, and always pack my glock 32C when caching, except in areas where its prohibited (most state parks in PA).

Edited by Elminster7781

I don't carry a gun, but as I hike in more remote areas I think I may start. I've only shot a gun once so far so it would be a while before I get permits and such.

So do you carry a gun? What kind? Have you ever used it? On animals?

Yes.

.308 Winchester Model 88

Yes

Yes

65fdf14b-0967-49d9-b964-5abc9ff187cd.jpg

Me cache hunting last year.

I belong to P.E.T.A. (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals).

I only shoot animals that I eat.

I found more caches on that trip than I did tasty animals.

As to the OP. I have a PA carry permit, and always pack my glock 32C when caching, except in areas where its prohibited (most state parks in PA).

Actually, carrying non-hunting weapons (and hunting weapons when not in a designated hunting area during hunting season) is prohibited in all PA state parks. Having them in your vehicle, trailer, or camp is ok. It's also important to note that this is a "DCNR Regulation", not state law.

Edited by gnbrotz
NRA Member

You are 89% of a gun nut!

You have excellent skills in weapons handling. I could definitely trust you to cover my back. Matter of fact, you're probably packing heat right now!

That's it? <disappointed> :)

I have often thought about it but not sure I want to bother with the weight

Check out the Kel-Tec P32. under 10 oz fully loaded. No more uncomfortable to carry then a wallet.

What are you shooting with that kel-tec? Squirrels?

Though I must admit I own one, I would never consider using it for any kind of self defense. I just bought it because I thought it was cute and have heard about them before and wanted to see how good they shot.

It's my wife's daily carry gun. I am a firm believer in a mousegun in the hand is worth WAY more then a dirty harry gun in the safe. Out in the woods she might have a J-frame or her .45 Glock, but those are just to heavy and tough to conceal in her work clothes. Besides, the poster I replied to specifically mentioned that he would carry but for the size/weight factor.

Not many people, especially women are going to carry a 2lb .45 24/7, yet like I said the kel-tec is no bigger or heavier then a wallet. It's no big deal to slip it in your pocket when you go to the mailbox, or carry it for a 12hr work/commute day.

If you are firing in self defense, you better not be more then 7 yards from your target. I dunno about you, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to get hit at close range with 8 rounds of Corbon 32acp hollow-points.

The thing that worries me about the kel-tek is the trigger only safety, but I've never heard of any accidental discharges with it. I would just worry about it catching on something in the pocket you carry it in.

Although I, personally, would never carry any gun not in a holster, people have been carrying J-frames and similar revolvers around in pockets for decades with no abnormal reports of negligent discharges. I carry either a S&W 642 or a Seecamp LWS-32 in a pocket when I decide to go about unarmed and have never had the slightest concern. A semi-auto should be no different unless a WECSoG graduate did a trigger job on it. Of course, the same can be said of the revolver.

NRA Member

You are 89% of a gun nut!

You have excellent skills in weapons handling. I could definitely trust you to cover my back. Matter of fact, you're probably packing heat right now!

That's it? <disappointed> :laughing:

I have often thought about it but not sure I want to bother with the weight

Check out the Kel-Tec P32. under 10 oz fully loaded. No more uncomfortable to carry then a wallet.

No.

than :lol::P:P

Edited by Team Cotati

LOL. That test is classic. 89% here. And yes, I carry when I geocache, but then again, I carry usually anyways. I have a CHL (in Texas we call it a Concealed Handgun License) and I'm normally carrying one on my hip. If it's not comfortable to carry on my hip then I have a Taurus PT-140 that I have in my geobag that goes with me when I'm geocaching. Yes, I do go out into rural areas where there is wild life to be concerned about (like tasty rabbits... or dove...) but we also have snakes and normally the round thats in my chamber is snake shot (first 2 are snake, then hollow point). Well, at least in the Taurus it's that way. The one on my hip is an HK USP .45 Compact and it's full of gold dot hollow points.

Yeah, so I'm a bit of a gun nut. Welcome to Texas, right? :laughing::yikes:

The thing that worries me about the kel-tek is the trigger only safety, but I've never heard of any accidental discharges with it. I would just worry about it catching on something in the pocket you carry it in.

If I was carrying it in a pocket i might be a little concerned about that because of random other objects in the pocket. If the slim potential for accidental discharge bothers you and you still want to carry it in a pocket, the obvious solution is a pocket holster, but it would be just as effective to simply not put anything else in the pocket. This is best for access anyway.

The Kel-Tek, having a DAO (Double Action Only) firing system, has a rather long and heavy trigger pull and the hammer does not release until it is nearly all the way back. Releasing the trigger at any time prior to the sear release will safely lower the hammer back to rest so there is no danger of it "going off half-cocked" (pardon the expression).

The hammer is fully shrouded and thus cannot be "cocked" and released by a foreign object. it is also a "rebounding" hammer design, meaning it does not directly contact the firing pin when it is in the normal (hammer down) state and it is the forward momentum of the hammer that strikes the firing pin and hits the primer, thus it is very unlikely to fire from a drop, even if it were to somehow hit on a protrusion of some kind that just happened to be the right size (a million to one chance in a truly accidental drop).

It is a VERY safe weapon even though it doesn't have a "safety" per-se.

If you are like TOTALLY paranoid and you are willing to sacrifice a few seconds of access time and one round of capacity, you can carry it (or any auto for that matter) in 100% safety by simply inserting a loaded magazine but not loading a round into the chamber until you are needing to fire.

Many cheap autos, like Lorcin to name a name, should NEVER be carried any other way except with an empty chamber- as their instruction book advises. (Of course i would not carry one of those at all, but I do understand it might be the best someone could afford)

I use the integral belt clip option on my Kel-Tek and carry it under the waistband and belt. It is TOTALLY concealed with no "printing" (because of the rigidity of the belt), can be carried in any mode of dress above naked, is fairly easy to access, and there is very little risk of anything snagging the trigger even though there is no holster. And it is comfortable enough to actually BE THERE, rather than to be left at home.

Always. But then again, being in law enforcement, I also carry one while: hiking, camping, kayaking, shopping, travelling..insert activity here. I have had to "go on duty" while caching several times. You never know when something will happen so be prepared at all times. :D

As a female that usually caches by myself in the mountains here, I carry a small Jennings 22. I have had firearms training and am certified. I'm not worried about the bears or mountain lions, etc, it's the nut jobs that also hang out in the woods. The first round is snake shot, if you don't get the point after that, hollow points will follow. :D

This is humorous in a way when I read posts about people wanting protection while out in the woods. For me, personally, I feel much safer when out in a wilderness area than when in an inner city urban area, and if I were to carry, not that I don't, not that I do, not saying, I'd be more inclined to carry in a city area than in a wilderness area. I read and listen to news reports and there are far more shootings and muggings and animal/dog attacks within a city than there are reported in remote areas.

Oh well, back to the grindstone and to check out the window to make sure my vehicle hasn't been stolen from the parking lot with all the security cameras scanning about here in the city.

Maybe you should read this. http://elyecho.1upmonitor.com/main.asp?Sec...;ArticleID=8578

No gun for me - although I would like to carry while caching in some places but Illinois has so many weird laws I have no idea when it would be legal or not... :(

I do, however, carry a knife when caching in the woods. Mainly just because they are so incredibly useful, but also because I feel better knowing that it may at least ward off most crazies... :-)

My Ka-Bar:

KA-1464.jpg

I think that carrying a gun is a bit of an extream. If its really that unsafe to be in an area there should not be a cache there....

~.~Scare Force One

You are confusing being prepared for high risk. Most of us carry an emergency kit. Not because all areas have a high risk of a survial situation but because we wan't to be ready if a situation does some up. It makes no sence to say "If the area is such a survival problem that you have to carry a survival kit there should not be a cache there" it also makes no sence to say the same thing about an area with bears. The risk at any one cache is low. The risk is cumulative though. Odd are if you cache enough you would see a bear. With enough cahers caching in bear areas, odds are one's gong to make the news someday. Hopefully with a story about how they were able to get away.

As for being extreme to carry a tool I have two dogs who are well equiped to rip out my throat. Nobody comments that they are too extreme and thinks I should take their teeth out. When people carry a tool (which is the only thing humans are well equiped to work with) the views and opinions change. It's interesting.

I think that carrying a gun is a bit of an extream. If its really that unsafe to be in an area there should not be a cache there....

~.~Scare Force One

You are confusing being prepared for high risk. Most of us carry an emergency kit. Not because all areas have a high risk of a survial situation but because we wan't to be ready if a situation does some up. It makes no sence to say "If the area is such a survival problem that you have to carry a survival kit there should not be a cache there" it also makes no sence to say the same thing about an area with bears. The risk at any one cache is low. The risk is cumulative though. Odd are if you cache enough you would see a bear. With enough cahers caching in bear areas, odds are one's gong to make the news someday. Hopefully with a story about how they were able to get away.

As for being extreme to carry a tool I have two dogs who are well equiped to rip out my throat. Nobody comments that they are too extreme and thinks I should take their teeth out. When people carry a tool (which is the only thing humans are well equiped to work with) the views and opinions change. It's interesting.

All im saying is that its extream to carry a firearm while geocaching. Besides, as long as the bear signs the log, whats the problem with him caching to.

~.~Scare Force One

Big thanks to Kit Fox for posting links to the prior threads.

I'd urge a person concerned about defense to use what's familiar.

Don't carry a firearm until/unless you're experienced at using it.

Here in Alaska, bear spray is highly recommended (for all manner of 'bad trail animals').

Most folks have used spray cans of some sort, so the bear spray idea is more familiar under stress; although, I'd recommend buying two cans and practicing with one (it helps get the 'how to use' reflex in gear, and will most likely educate you about the hazards of collateral damage and backspray - ouch).

Reminds me of a joke/ How do you tell Grizzly poop from Black Bear poop?

Grizzly poop has bells in it and smells like pepper spray. :huh:

I carry a .44 mag Ruger Super BLackhawk in the back woods

Used one time to scare off a blackbear, shot in the air not at the bear.

Edited by JEEBRA

I think that carrying a gun is a bit of an extream. If its really that unsafe to be in an area there should not be a cache there. I do carry a small knife with me just in case but a gun...

~.~Scare Force One

And how do you determine if an area is unsafe or not?

If you think an area is so unsafe that you feel the need to carry a gun, it can't be a very safe place.

~.~Scare Force One

If you think an area is so unsafe that you feel the need to carry a gun, it can't be a very safe place.

~.~Scare Force One

A common comment made by those who don't carry. Here's my take on it: If I ever feel there is a place where I'm going that I "need" my firearm, I simply won't go there. I carry my firearm regularly because of the unknown.

There are no absolute guarantees that anywhere you go is completely "safe". Just ask the people at Wedgewood Baptist Church, Fort Worth Texas, July 30, 1999 (7 dead), or Living Church of God, Brookfield, Wisconsin, March 14, 1995 (7 dead), or First Congregational Church, Neosho, Missouri, August 13, 2007 (3 dead), or The Ministry of Jesus Christ Church, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, May 22, 2006 (5 dead).

~.~Scare Force One

A common comment made by those who don't carry. Here's my take on it: If I ever feel there is a place where I'm going that I "need" my firearm, I simply won't go there. I carry my firearm regularly because of the unknown.

There are no absolute guarantees that anywhere you go is completely "safe". Just ask the people at Wedgewood Baptist Church, Fort Worth Texas, July 30, 1999 (7 dead), or Living Church of God, Brookfield, Wisconsin, March 14, 1995 (7 dead), or First Congregational Church, Neosho, Missouri, August 13, 2007 (3 dead), or The Ministry of Jesus Christ Church, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, May 22, 2006 (5 dead).

Bold = X-cellent advice! (well, except for the shooting range- I will "need" my firearm there- not much point going there without it LOL)

My pastor knows I carry (and I am not the only one). I asked him what he thinks about it, and he said something like "The pastor in Hendricks county (murdered during a Sunday service) would have sure liked to have a couple of armed parishioners in his church, I'm sure."

Be it duly noted my church is in a small town-rural area and the pastor is a National Guard chaplain.

The safest place is anywhere one is empowered to defend himself. An "unsafe" place is anywhere one is required to go unprepared.

Edited by Confucius' Cat

~.~Scare Force One

Unintentional shootings accounted for 27% of firearm deaths. Ask these groups of people what they think about people who carry guns;

A 4-year-old Hartford boy died early yesterday after he apparently shot himself with a revolver he found in a bedroom closet - the third youngster to die in an accidental shooting in Connecticut in the last month, the police said.

Two 12-year-old boys, one from Naugatuck and the other from Hartford, were killed in accidental shootings on June 22 and July 8.

These childern are dead so you can't ask them but I bet their parents are very willing to talk about people carrying/owning guns.

Edited by Scare Force One

Unintentional shootings accounted for 27% of firearm deaths. Ask these groups of people what they think about people who carry guns;

A 4-year-old Hartford boy died early yesterday after he apparently shot himself with a revolver he found in a bedroom closet - the third youngster to die in an accidental shooting in Connecticut in the last month, the police said.

Two 12-year-old boys, one from Naugatuck and the other from Hartford, were killed in accidental shootings on June 22 and July 8.

These childern are dead so you can't ask them but I bet their parents are very willing to talk about people carrying/owning guns.

I think that carrying a gun is a bit of an extream. If its really that unsafe to be in an area there should not be a cache there. I do carry a small knife with me just in case but a gun...

~.~Scare Force One

The statistics you posted do nothing but derail this thread further off topic. Debate the merits of, or against gun control on the other threads.

~.~Scare Force One

The statistics you posted do nothing but derail this thread further off topic. Debate the merits of, or against gun control on the other threads in other forums.

fixed