Do You Carry a Gun While Geocaching?

I don't carry a gun, but as I hike in more remote areas I think I may start. I've only shot a gun once so far so it would be a while before I get permits and such.

So do you carry a gun? What kind? Have you ever used it? On animals?

Yes, but because I geocache while armed, not because I'm armed while geocaching. I also kayak, shop, hike, etc., while armed. Animals, at least the type to which you refer, do not concern me. I was raised to be self-reliant. I would not ask the police to protect me and my loved ones if I'm not willing to protect myself. I respect those who choose not to. It's a personal choice and certainly not for everyone.

I don't carry a gun, but as I hike in more remote areas I think I may start. I've only shot a gun once so far so it would be a while before I get permits and such.

if i was deep in the bush then i would, but since i live in new york theirs very few area's other then upstate that would make it a option for me, normally a decent sized fold back knife is more then enough to ward someone off or to protect against a stray mutt, i dont have to really worry about cougars, mountain lions, coyotes, bears, etc. but i do visit new jersey quite a bit and where i go theirs quite a bit of black bears, so in those cases, yes it may be an option, but i'm a big rifle person rather then a pistol person.

I love ruger 10/22's and marlin model 60's, but those wouldn't do jack against a bear :lol: i'd likely recommend a Lever Action rifle if you like to rifle it up like i do, shorter cartridges being at least a 44 magnum, or in a rifle cartridge case a nice 30/30 is good enough to take out deer, it should be good for the average black bear, for something like grizzlies or brown bear...i'd probably go with the classic 30/.06 caliber, one of the most versatile calibers there is.

one thing i like about rifles too is it feels alot more outbackish, otherwise i just feel a little too urbanish packing a glock while being out in the great outdoors.

Big thanks to Kit Fox for posting links to the prior threads.

I'd urge a person concerned about defense to use what's familiar.

Don't carry a firearm until/unless you're experienced at using it.

Here in Alaska, bear spray is highly recommended (for all manner of 'bad trail animals').

Most folks have used spray cans of some sort, so the bear spray idea is more familiar under stress; although, I'd recommend buying two cans and practicing with one (it helps get the 'how to use' reflex in gear, and will most likely educate you about the hazards of collateral damage and backspray - ouch).

Although I always tell my caching partners when I'm carrying a firearm (polite and a good safety rule) it's not obvious to casual observers. Can't emphasize how important practice is with firearms - pistols or rifles or shotguns - it's not something most folks use daily, and the consequences for misuse are huge. Sadly, many people today have only TV/movies as their sources for information about firearms and their use - the worst places to learn! I practice (but never enough, it seems) relentlessly with my 'carry' guns, and there's always room for improvement. Rifles/shotguns are nice in that it's easier practice 'safe pointing' with them, but they're pretty conspicuous in the city parks here (which have bears and more importantly from my point of view - people - in them).

One of my caches is in a place where I always carry a rifle when I visit it during the greenleaf months - it's right on salmon spawning grounds. Oddly, I see tracks but have never seen a bear there. Inside the city however... different story! I've seen bears on caches four times here in the past two years, within the 'urban' city area.

Read the threads Kit Fox so graciously provided, and form your own opinion.

I don't often cache in remote areas (sadly) so I don't have the need for protection against wild animals. I do sometimes fear the 2 legged variety and for that I take my dog.

If I did go to a remote location, I wouldn't have the skills to feel comfortable with a gun. I go to the shooting range occasionally, but not often enough. I would feel safer if someone else in the group was experienced and carried a gun.

Kit Fox - those were interesting links. Thanks for posting them.

To echo a previous poster, it's not that I arm myself to go Geocaching but rather go Geocaching while armed. I may tailor what I carry to where I am going, suburban vs outback. Have I shot something or someone? Nope not yet, but then again I have used my airbags yet eirhter. Also keep in mind that firearms also make great, loud signalling devices. Shots in groups of 3s signal distress, so take lots of ammo...

Edited by rdaines

...So do you carry a gun? What kind? Have you ever used it? On animals?

I've been on a cache trip where we did use a pistol on a deer that some people we were caching with had hit. We used the pistol to put it out of it's misery. Later I called Fish and Game and asked what we should have done. They said that we should have done nothing and reported it as hit. Live and learn.

"Don't get involved, let us experts handle it." Pay no attention to suffering. It's not your job; someone else will handle it.

That's the antithesis of the America I grew up in. We are judged on how we treat the innocent as well as on how we treat the guilty. You did the right thing, but then you knew that.

Edited by pcunningham

We live in a state (Maryland) in the USA which has had, since early 2005 and the passage of state Bill V304, some VERY liberal laws in effect when it comes to Geocacher Rights, and any experienced (over 50 finds as listed on GC website) and state-certified geocacher is allowed to carry a firearm and to kill potential FTF competitors (the law refers to them as "geocacher first to find enemy combatants) and muggles at will, so long as we tag the body on the left wrist or the left ankle within three minutes of the kill with a state-issued Geocacher Rights Bill V304 Sanctioned Kill tag which bears our name, state geocaching license number, reason (FTF enemy combatant or geo-muggle), and time/date of kill. This is not a bad deal in return for the measly annual state license fee of $67.50. Therefore, Sue and I often pack concealed weapons when seeking FTF on a cache or when hunting in an area where we anticipate high muggle activity. The scary thing is that we have sometimes forgotten about the matter of state boundaries and have at times ended up accidentally employing our weapons to kill FTF competitors or geomuggles in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and DC as well, much to our chagrin when we realized our mistake(s). Luckily, those minor incidents have not caused any problems so far, and we have learned from these sobering experiences to be far more careful in observing state lines and the boundaries/limitations implicit thereof.

I've never carried a gun while caching but there was one time that I found myself wishing I had one along. I had several large dogs snarling and barking and trying really hard to find a way up to where I was. It was NOT a good feeling. All I had for protection was my hiking stick and I was scoping out places to get my back against a rock or something to have at least some chance to protect myself. Fortunately, the dogs couldn't manage to get at me and I was able to get out of the area. A gun would have made me feel a LOT safer that day.

I don't own a gun. The only time I handled a gun was in the military when I carried an M16. I don't think I would do that now.

I have thought about carrying pepper spray though. I don't know if I would carry a shocker or anything like that. I do like the idea of carrying more protection than my walking stick and bug spray though. I also carry a shreiker distress whistle. That won't do me much good in the right kind of circumstances though.

If I carried a gun, I'd shoot my big toe off. I'm sort of a Barney Fife. Not to desterous. Probably would shoot the wrong thing.

a great alternative if you wish to not carry a firearm is also bear mace, bear mace/dog repellent is legal in most states where its illegal to buy pepper spray (or buy it over from another state)

here is some of the more common products for bear mace

http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/bears.shtml

in that following link i really like the Alaska guard, i've heard great things about it plus its the only one thats EPA approved for all types of bears

if you're worried about dogs

http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/vicious.shtml

i suggest the fogger, often when dogs come up on you its either too fast for you to specifically aim or their in stray packs, the fogger gives you the advantage of not having to aim absolutely directly but also has the added benefit of being more effective against multiple dogs.

note: never baught from this site so i dont know their service, but these are some of the products i've heard work great, if anything i'd just get the bear mace and use that for general purpose, i dont want to have to carry ten thousand different kinds of pepper sprays.

and remember, never spray upwards or upwind.

We live in a state (Maryland) in the USA which has had, since early 2005 and the passage of state Bill V304, some VERY liberal laws in effect when it comes to Geocacher Rights, and any experienced (over 50 finds as listed on GC website) and state-certified geocacher is allowed to carry a firearm and to kill potential FTF competitors (the law refers to them as "geocacher first to find enemy combatants) and muggles at will, so long as we tag the body on the left wrist or the left ankle within three minutes of the kill with a state-issued Geocacher Rights Bill V304 Sanctioned Kill tag which bears our name, state geocaching license number, reason (FTF enemy combatant or geo-muggle), and time/date of kill. This is not a bad deal in return for the measly annual state license fee of $67.50. Therefore, Sue and I often pack concealed weapons when seeking FTF on a cache or when hunting in an area where we anticipate high muggle activity. The scary thing is that we have sometimes forgotten about the matter of state boundaries and have at times ended up accidentally employing our weapons to kill FTF competitors or geomuggles in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and DC as well, much to our chagrin when we realized our mistake(s). Luckily, those minor incidents have not caused any problems so far, and we have learned from these sobering experiences to be far more careful in observing state lines and the boundaries/limitations implicit thereof.

Legal trivia: The Maryland Sanctioned Kill law was based on the Arizona Revised Statute for resolving conflicts arising from ambiguous order of arrival at four-way-stop intersections. It made such a profound improvement in traffic safety (though, alas, not fatalities) that it was expanded to apply to prime parking spaces and busy gas pumps.

Ironically, though Arizona pioneered this approach to improving traffic flow, we're still in the dark ages when it comes to Geo-priority. Opponents of the draft Geo-sanction measure watered it down by requiring less-than-lethal means be used, presumably under lobbying pressure from Scottsdale-based TASER International. The deadlock resulted in the draft measure being sent back to committee, where it remains.

Edited by Mule Ears

I don't own a gun. The only time I handled a gun was in the military when I carried an M16. I don't think I would do that now.

I have thought about carrying pepper spray though. I don't know if I would carry a shocker or anything like that. I do like the idea of carrying more protection than my walking stick and bug spray though. I also carry a shreiker distress whistle. That won't do me much good in the right kind of circumstances though.

If I carried a gun, I'd shoot my big toe off. I'm sort of a Barney Fife. Not to desterous. Probably would shoot the wrong thing.

Wow, that certianly doesn't sound like a former military man to me.... Sounds more like a liberal city dweller who knows nothing of the military. Or perhaps they just had a desk job and barely made it through basic training???

I have a CHP. So does she. Depends on the hood we're caching in whether we carry unsnapped or not. It's not a big deal. It's just faster than 911 and much more reliable when it's really needed. Avoided at all costs other than our lives. Such is a free country under the Constitution and 2nd Ammendment.

Wow, that certianly doesn't sound like a former military man to me.... Sounds more like a liberal city dweller who knows nothing of the military. Or perhaps they just had a desk job and barely made it through basic training???

Personally, I respect him more for knowing himself, his capabilities, and for living within his limitations than I do a person who would judge another person's character based on one Internet posting . . .

This is humorous in a way when I read posts about people wanting protection while out in the woods. For me, personally, I feel much safer when out in a wilderness area than when in an inner city urban area, and if I were to carry, not that I don't, not that I do, not saying, I'd be more inclined to carry in a city area than in a wilderness area. I read and listen to news reports and there are far more shootings and muggings and animal/dog attacks within a city than there are reported in remote areas.

Oh well, back to the grindstone and to check out the window to make sure my vehicle hasn't been stolen from the parking lot with all the security cameras scanning about here in the city.

Yes.

S&W Sigma (.40).

Only at the range.

Nope.

Yes, but because I geocache while armed, not because I'm armed while geocaching. I also kayak, shop, hike, etc., while armed. Animals, at least the type to which you refer, do not concern me. I was raised to be self-reliant. I would not ask the police to protect me and my loved ones if I'm not willing to protect myself. I respect those who choose not to. It's a personal choice and certainly not for everyone.

Well said.

Sometimes. Sometimes I leave the weapon at home or in the vehicle. It depends on the area, time of day/day of week, and other size-up factors. My gut feeling tells me whether it is a reasonable tool to have handy or wasted weight, and I choose accordingly.

A majority of my caches are hidden in my favorite stomping grounds in the local State Game Lands. Hunting season comes around I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I can check on my caches & hunt as well.

A couple of years ago I was working my way to one of my sweet spots (hmm I've got a cache hidden here), just as I move into position the largest buck I have ever seen in my life jumps up and starts walking away from me. I did not spook him, he was slowly walking away from me. I pull my trusty rifle into position and quickly fog the scope. I try my best to clear things up, pull up on him again just as he walks around the tree, rats the scope fogs over again. I got another peak but not a clear shot, oh well at least the cache was in good shape.

Soooo, yes I carry a gun while caching but only when I'm hunting and yes I've used it several times :D

I regularly hunt game while hunting caches; in those cases, I'm definitely carrying. Many animals have made it to my dinner table that way.

Due to where I live, much of the area around me = carry is verboten even if one could obtain that difficult to obtain permit.

It is the PRK afterall.

GP%20zoom.jpg

"nuf said? Can you spot the caching logo?

I’m afraid I can’t get over how everybody in the USA is so unconcerned about the carrying of guns. They seem to be treated as toys or items of amusement, the same way a child would regard model boat or car.

The justification for these guns appears to be the dangerous wildlife present in the USA but how many cachers have truly found themselves in danger of a bear attack?, I bet lots have seen bears but how many have actually been in danger of being attacked?

Edited by AB&MB

GP%20zoom.jpg

I’m afraid I can’t get over how everybody in the USA is so unconcerned about the carrying of guns. They seem to be treated as toys or items of amusement, the same way a child would regard model boat or car.

The justification for these guns appears to be the dangerous wildlife present in the USA but how many cachers have truly found themselves in danger of a bear attack?, I bet lots have seen bears but how many have actually been in danger of being attacked?

GP%20zoom.jpg

This is not the place to discuss the social or moral implication of firearms and the carrying of weapons. The topic was do you, and you, obviously don't...that's all you needed to say.

My Husband and I both have concealed carry permits and carry our weapons almost everywhere so it was a given that we would carry while geocaching.

Thank God we did. We were on a cache search with our son one evening when we were approached by not one, but two people claiming to "be out of gas and just need a little money for a bus ticket". My 10 year old son put his arm around me and patted my weapon on my back and visibly relaxed with the reassurance that we were not going to be victims. The men continued to approach us after we explained that we'd be glad to meet them at the bus station and help them purchace a ticket, but we don't give out cash. My husband had the pepper spray at the ready. After some conversation where their story changed several times. We backed off and left the site.

Just knowing we had the pepper spray and the gun made a potential terrifying experience into "just one for the books".

I carry a Springfield XD 9mm subcompact and my husband carries the same weapon in 40 caliber. We load with hollow points so that there is less chance of the bullet continuing past the intended target and striking innocent people. Just about any backstop will keep the bullet from traveling too far.

I recommend a good class on firearm safety. Gander Mountain and Calibers in Greensboro, NC are great places. There are likely many more near you. Don't carry, if you don't know how to use one.

The 2nd Ammendment Foundation, Second Ammendment Sisters, the Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership, and the NRA are great resources for more information.

With all the home invasions on the news I am only more incouraged to teach people about firearms and firearm safety.

Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

And yes they make great signaling and scare away devices.

Like airbags they don't need to be used to comfort.

Just minding your own business in your own small town can be dangerous nowadays. My husband told me about 3 men coming up to his truck and banging on the window. He told them to back away and state their business. They told a story about running out of gas. He offered to bring them some gas and their story changed. He told them to back off. They didn't, so he took his pistol out and placed it on the center console. They ran off. Two days later in a nearby parking lot, they approached him again stating their car broke down. He reached toward the dashboard and one of the men said, "man, run. It's the same dude."

A month later, I was sitting in the truck waiting for my husband to come out of the store. We were 5 miles from the previous incidents. Three men came up to my window, and told me that they were out of work and hungry. I was sure they were the same men from my husband's description. One look at the pistol on the console and they were gone.

These guys may be harmless, but I'm not taking the chance. Maybe their encounters with the armed citizen will keep them on the right side of the law. As long as they're begging and not stealing, mugging, etc. we're safe. Just say no, and they might be too afraid you're "packing" too and run off.

Better armed and safe than disarmed and a victim.

These remote places we geocache sometimes are just the kinds of places that predators hang out and just the kinds of places where the bodies are found.

You never know when some nutcase will set up a geocache site just to watch for an unprepared victim to show up and they can close the trap.

Always watch your back. Be safe. TFTF. Cache on!!!

First, learn how to use it safely. No one can tell you what to carry. Oh, everyone has an opinion, but until you handle it, fire it and clean it yourself you can't really be comfortable. Several firing ranges offer rentals. You can try out their guns and see what fits your hand, feel the recoil, etc. If you plan to open carry or concealed carry you will need to know how comfortable you feel with it next to your body, how you can easily draw, etc.

I'm a petite woman over 40. I carry a 9mm subcompact in the small of my back. Other carry positions are just too uncomfortable on my frame. I'm left handed, but I shoot right handed (although I practice with my left hand too "just incase"). These are some of the things you should consider before purchacing a gun. Also, taking a class is a must unless you were "born with a 6 gun in your hand".

Shop around.

Cache on.

Well that's the USA off my holiday list :(

Why? I can find many reports of bad situations in your area, doesn't mean I wouldn't want to visit there.

"Everyone" as a generalization is rarely correct in the assumptions that follow.

I carry a small pocket knife as a tool.

A nearby rock can easily become a defensive weapon, as can a butter knife in a kitchen, or a fork in a deli, or a walking staff in New Delhi. YMMV.

:( Very interesting question which I have often wondered about others. Yes I carry a snub-nosed (hammerless) S&W 357 loaded with P+38s when I am in remote areas. I do have a concealed weapons permit issued from Florida, but have been fortunate to never have a need to use it. But then I also carry a roll of toilet paper. I guess that is in case I ever have to shoot someone or something that would endanger my safety.

But then I also carry a pocket knife and a whistle to blow if needed. And I would use any of the four items if necessary. :D

Edited by pwcinpc

On second thought ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/eastmidland...gun_crime.shtml

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/policing_...blic_safety.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nottingham

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Nottingham+crimes

WORST PLACES FOR CRIMES

Vehicle crime: Nottingham

Rape: Portsmouth

Assault: Leicester

Burglary: Stockport

Robbery: Manchester

Gun crime: Bradford

Murder: Nottingham

Source: Reform report

Found at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5006852.stm

= = = = =

Back on topic:

If the question is: Do I see a time or place where I would carry while geocaching, then the answer would most likely be yes. But most times no.

Edited by mikej2

On second thought ....

WORST PLACES FOR CRIMES

= = = = =

Back on topic:

If the question is: Do I see a time or place where I would carry while geocaching, then the answer would most likely be yes. But most times no.

Well that's the UK off my holiday list. :(

On second thought ....

WORST PLACES FOR CRIMES

= = = = =

Back on topic:

Well that's the UK off my holiday list. :(

My friend who lives in London says you probably won't get shot at, but if you're looking to get beaten within an inch of your life and left laying face down in a gutter by some street hoodlum, it's a wonderful place.

DCC

I recommend a good class on firearm safety. Gander Mountain and Calibers in Greensboro, NC are great places. There are likely many more near you. Don't carry, if you don't know how to use one.

Before you take any class check it out to be sure it includes a lot of instruction on WHEN to use. There are a ton of "instructors" who only teach how to use a firearm. I can teach almost anyone in 4 hours how to safely USE a firearm to where they're a reasonable shot. However, if you don't know WHEN you can use it then you're missing a very important part that will keep you out of legal problems. The WHEN is a lot more important than the HOW.