Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drew82

BACKPACKING DX STORIES!

Hey everyone... i thought i'd start this by telling about a backpacking trip i made a couple years ago with some ham friends of mine.. We went to Big Hill Pond state park in pocahontas Tn.. After a couple mile hike in there is an old fire spotting tower that stands about seventy feet or so... we stayed at the tower well into the night and had 2 meter and 440 hts with us. We were keying up repeaters 200 miles away and talking simplex into florida and south mississippi.. It was a very exciting night and was the best dx we had ever got on our hts.. the best contacts by the way were made on my ft411 yaseu ht pushing two and a half watts through a five eighths wave bnc telescopic antenna... we plan to make this trip again this fall and place a best dx cache at this tower... tks> whats your story?

Good stuff!!

I kinda do the same only on a smaller scale due to time restrictions. I us a little VX2R with an aftermarket antenna. Where I live has many peaks and old fire tower locations within a 40 mile radius. I try and make a different peak every Wednesday morning in time for an IRLP cross-Canada net thru a 70cm machine here in Sudbury Ontario.

Wayne (tec_64)

VE3THN

Oh, I forgot to mention. Even if one is not an amateur radio operatior, most of the peaks have a spectacular view and lend themselves perfectly as cache locations.

Wayne (tec_64)

VE3THN

Back in the mid '70s I had a commercial walkie-talkie set to 10 mtrs FM and was in a fire tower in TN. The band was open and I was talking consistently into the Caribbean. Even worked a MM (maritime mobile) out in the Atlantic. Great fun....of course it was way before geocaching.