Vacation to England

I am planning a vacation to England the end of November. I am looking at heading to the Cornwall area for a few days then Stonehenge for a day and then London the rest of the time. I would love to stay at a little sea side town while in Cornwall and any suggestions of Inn's or such places would be greatly appreciated as well as must see/do caches.

I'm sure there are caches around Stonhenge, though i haven't looked them up yet, so any suggestions would be great.

Also i'm looking for suggestion on inexpensive palces to stay while in London as well as those must see caches, preferable ones near the main touristy type spot as well.

I know planning way in advance, but I would like to have my whole vacation planed and plotted and every set and booked and such within the next few weeks.

thanks in advance for any help

Tonya

I can't help with Cornwall, but there's a virtual at Stonehenge here, in the car park, and the "nearby caches" link will give you all you need to know.

It sounds as if you'll have the use of a car. There's a charge to park in the car park at Stonehenge (though it may only be for the summer end of the year) which is refundable if you pay to go into Stonehenge itself. If you're not planning on going in you can avoid the charge by parking on the bridleway immediately west of the car park.

Edited by Bill D (wwh)

Cornwall? End of November?

Make sure you bring survival gear with you!

Seriously though, Porthleven, (Google it), would be my suggestion of a "quaint" Cornish coastal village with a nice pub that does Bed and Beakfast and evening meals.

Have you driven in England/Cornwall before, ( on 10ft wide roads with traffic in both directions)?

well waits for pm in the hopes of finding out information about great places in Cornwall....

and thanks to those who've offered help already...Mrs. B...your email was very helpful...

and i knew about the Brolly and Wellies already...didn't know about the survival gear though...i'll make a note to add that to my list of items to bring for me and my son...

Edited by gillingham

E-mail sent. My gut feeling is to say that Cornwall at the end of November possibly isn't going to be much fun caching wise. "Quaint" Cornish fishing villages tend to be very seasonal, so expect many shops etc to be shut, many houses used for holiday lets, to be locked up for the Winter. Plan for the weather to be permanent wind driven rain and if it's not then that's a plus.

There are indeed stunning caches around much of the Cornish Coastline, some of which involve a walk along a narrow path at quite an altitude up a cliff! I'd give them a miss if it's raining or very windy.

Inland a bit there'd many more caches in either historical areas, or quaint areas. Theres various series based upon Cornwalls Mining Heritage.

I'd suggest you ask on the Cornish Forum of which I believe you're a member, for locals suggestions of good caches. If you have a car and want to see the County I'd suggest the Cornish Quest series, but that will take some planning.

Apologies for sounding so negative - Cornwalls a gorgeous place at the right time of year - I'm not sur ethe end of November is the best time - though on the plus side, theres not many emmets about.

Birdman---thanks got the email and helpful suggestions...perhaps i will rethink when to come...perhaps i will take my chances with the weather...need to discuss this with the lil guy and get his input since he's already excited to go and planning along with me...

though...what's a gapp? am sure it's some British word that us Canadians just aren't meant to get...but wanted to ask...

Birdman---thanks got the email and helpful suggestions...perhaps i will rethink when to come...perhaps i will take my chances with the weather...need to discuss this with the lil guy and get his input since he's already excited to go and planning along with me...

though...what's a gapp? am sure it's some British word that us Canadians just aren't meant to get...but wanted to ask...

Just to spoil the Northerner's fun :D , I'm assuming that Rutson is referring to the frequent message to 'mind the gap' at many of the underground rail stations. A lot of the old stations under the city are built with curved platforms so when exiting/entering the train there can be a gap of up to 6 inches (sorry Canadians are metric - so that's about 15cm).

There are a massive amount of Micro's in London, not much fun for kids to find if they want to do swapping of treasure, but they often take you to interesting places. I can recommend doing some of the Regent's Canal Series for a nice walk, whilst this one (GC3B88) is a virtual at Paddington Station. GC118F6 is interesting if you happen to be in that part of the city, it's only a few streets away from the British Museum.

If you're going to Stonehenge, you won't be spending the entire day there - there's only so much you can do - you're not even allowed to walk right up to the stones any more as they were prone to vandalim in the past.

So, on your day to Stonehenge, might I suggest an afternoon visit to nearby Salisbury. It has several museums that would probably be of interest but for me, the star attraction hast be the Cathedral. Among other things, Salisbury Cathedral has the oldest working mechanical clock in the world, on full display, still working.

One other thing to consider is thatif you're driving, allow a full day for driving to Cornwall. Most route planners estimate a journay of 7-8 hours from London to Land's End and they're not far wrong. THe further west you go the narrower the roads become until even some of the main thoroughfares occasionally become single track roads. At least if you're visiting out of the summer season you hopefully won't have the additional problem of long traffic delays to worry about.

something to do with trains not stopping @ stations and being too near the edge of the platfrom i think some londoner will be along soon to tell u properly

And there I was wanting to do the age old joke about getting sucked off the platform while the train that doesn't stop goes whizzing by...

Never mind!