garmin gps v

Hello! A friend of mine is selling a garmin gps v. on the big button on the face it says gps III but when you turn it on it says gps V that is weird but anyway he is selling it for $125.00 with car adapter and computer cable w/usb adapter, I am only going to use it for caching is it worth the price? Is it really a gps V? Oh the map software comes with also.

Hello! A friend of mine is selling a garmin gps v. on the big button on the face it says gps III but when you turn it on it says gps V that is weird but anyway he is selling it for $125.00 with car adapter and computer cable w/usb adapter, I am only going to use it for caching is it worth the price? Is it really a gps V? Oh the map software comes with also.

The GPS V came with a serial cable connection to the PC, not a USB connection. Generally this should not be a problem, but the transfer rates are much slower via serial cable.

Make sure you get the CitySelect software for autorouting. The maps are unlocked to the unit so you will continue to be able to download maps to the GPS once you install the software on your PC.

For reference, these units were selling second hand for $125 a year ago and the technology is even more dated now. It is odd that the face plate says GPS III and the start up screen says GPS V. Another good reason to expect a lower price.

I have owned a GPS V since 2000 and it has performed very well for me. I use a 60CSX for hiking and autorouting now, but the ol' V is still my first choice when kayaking.

Beter look on ebay. They are selling used for between 80 and the highest was 120 bucks. (plus shipping).

For the money its a good unit and was the best for a while.

My gps60csx is arguably better in every way and I would never go back. Some one here still love their V's so to each his own.

If you dont know how good a 60csx is then the V will be a great unit for you.

The GPS V came with a serial cable connection to the PC, not a USB connection. Generally this should not be a problem, but the transfer rates are much slower via serial cable.

Make sure you get the CitySelect software for autorouting. The maps are unlocked to the unit so you will continue to be able to download maps to the GPS once you install the software on your PC.

For reference, these units were selling second hand for $125 a year ago and the technology is even more dated now. It is odd that the face plate says GPS III and the start up screen says GPS V. Another good reason to expect a lower price.

I have owned a GPS V since 2000 and it has performed very well for me. I use a 60CSX for hiking and autorouting now, but the ol' V is still my first choice when kayaking.