Icenrye videos

It's sad that my first post on the forum isn't going to be a helpful one, but I had to respond to this topic. WHY would anyone want to sit around and watch a video of someone else geocaching? A tutorial video about how to use a GPSr, or an instructional video about the sport for a newcomer maybe, but to watch someone else bumbling through the woods staring at their GPSr looking for an ammo can is not my idea of captivating film footage. Of course this is my opinion only your opinion may differ.

It's sad that my first post on the forum isn't going to be a helpful one, but I had to respond to this topic. WHY would anyone want to sit around and watch a video of someone else geocaching? A tutorial video about how to use a GPSr, or an instructional video about the sport for a newcomer maybe, but to watch someone else bumbling through the woods staring at their GPSr looking for an ammo can is not my idea of captivating film footage. Of course this is my opinion only your opinion may differ.

I beg your pardon. Obviously you haven't seen any of Brian DePalma Snat's videos.

As far as Icenrye, I saw a few. He does a nice job with them.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I'm sure a lot of effort was put into making them. I even did watch a little of the one in briansnat's link. Nice work on the video. It looks like a beautiful place, similar to some I've backpacked in before. I guess I'd rather experience it not watch it.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I'm sure a lot of effort was put into making them. I even did watch a little of the one in briansnat's link. Nice work on the video. It looks like a beautiful place, similar to some I've backpacked in before. I guess I'd rather experience it not watch it.

I guess you didn't grow up watching fishing on TV :lol: .

I guess you didn't grow up watching fishing on TV :P .

Let's not get poor old Bill Dance involved in this even though I'm sure he'd be on my side. :lol:

Well, I will admit that I did and still will watch a fishing show from time-to-time, but pretty much the stuff that I will probably never be able to afford to do like fishing for marlin in Mexico or Hawaii, etc. I do not watch the fishing shows that are broadcast by the local public access cable station since I have no desire to watch shows about guys fishing in farm ponds for bream, catfish, or bass or about redfishing in south Louisiana. :P

I like you briansnat, I can tell we will be friends. :(

Seriously, I did like your movie.

This month’ Then back to North America for highlights from the MOGA 2007 - Midwest Open Geocaching Adventure

This is what I mean

'MOGA Time' is a video promo I submitted to Sheldon (Icenrye) for his Geocaching Videozine. It was meant to promote the annual geocaching competition and social event held in the midwest U.S. the past 3 years. MOGA 2008 will be held next March at Mark Twain Lake, Missouri.

This is a link to images, video and audio from the previous 3 events. http://www.geostl.com/SLAGAPostNuke/module...cle&sid=292

How many of you geocachers seen Icenrye's geocaching video online?

What do you think about his caching videos and have you been to his website

and put your self on his flapper map?

Did he get you in to geocaching and make you get a Garmin or Melgellen GPSr?

What are your favorite Icenrye videos? :surprise:

Are there any "how to" videos on geocaching??? If not, I would like to produce such a video. I'm a professional videographer and love doing projects that are out of the ordinary. Doing a video of this nature would be a lot of fun.

I'm not patient enough to sit and watch videos on the computer. I tried and failed to find a usable way to watch them on my Palm. The Palm I can do in the car at lunch. TCPMP just couldn't do the job. Depending on settings I got either the audio or the video, couldn't get both at the same time. Anybody have luck with this trick?

hairball

What a fun thread!!

Let's see if I can help.

A tutorial video about how to use a GPSr, or an instructional video about the sport for a newcomer maybe

Ok.

Episode 1 - Placing a cache and submitting it to Groundspeak.

Episode 2 and 24 - Paperless caching including GSAK, Plucker, CacheMate, MacCACHER, MacCMConvert.

Episode 5 - Urban Camouflage

Episode 9 - Waymarking

Episode 10 - How a GPS works

Episode 15 - The birth of Geocaching

Episode 19 - Google Earth, Geotagging on Flickr

Episode 21 - New cache placement guidelines.

Episode 23 - Using games built into Garmin GPS's

That covers some of the previous episodes. available from my site at My Webpage

You do bring up a good point.

I do get a few request for for an tutorial DVD featuring my tips and instructional pieces. If people think this is a good idea, I'd have no problem putting one together.

Thanks for your suggestion!

I have downloaded and watched all of Icenrye's videos, and he even read one of my letters on one of his episodes as well as a Frapper shout out a couple episodes later.

He does excellent work on his videos, and the content has really broadened since he started including submissions from viewers all over. Viewers all over North America have shown some of the events and caches in their areas, and there have been a few ideas that I have picked up from his episodes that I may put into practice later on.

The U.S. Army literally has me all over the world, and right now, I am sitting in Afghanistan with all of the Icenrye videos on my computer as well as on my iPod. Icenrye's Geocaching Videozine is about all I have to keep my geocaching fix since I have found just about all the caches around here on my infrequent days off. A couple times a week I will watch an episode or two just to keep the sanity level up.

Episode 24 just came out a few days ago, and it covers paperless caching which is something that I have been meaning to get into for a while. With the help of Sheldon's tutorials, I will probably end up getting one of these palm thingies up and running before I head home again early next year. (Palm thingies... you can tell I am a tech guy, can't you?)

Anyway, long story short, and to answer the original question- Yes I have seen every Icenrye episode, and in my opinion, they are worth it to download and watch. His "hints, tips, and tricks" that are included each episode definitely can help geocachers old and new. Thanks Sheldon.

Paul Wetzel

Blackcat96