Two quick questions about the "H" series and where to buy

Two quick questions (OK, really three – one has two parts) that I hope someone can help me out with.

Any eta on the H series? I was going to upgrade to a 60CSx (need it for the tree cover here in WA) and was wondering if I should wait for the upgrade or should I bite the bullet and get the 60CSx now? I need to get the street mapping software and do not want to pay for it twice.

Also, where (other than ebay) is the cheapest place to buy GPSr units? We need to buy 10 of the cheap yellow models for an event in three weeks (we get to write them off the business taxes to boot! I’m trying to convince hubby that we need to get the 60CSx to set the cords for the event and make sure they are right. He’s not buying into that…) and I’m in charge with finding them as cheap as possible.

Thanks for any help/opinions!

I just got the eTrex Vista HCX from GPSnow.com and couldn't be happier. From what I hear the reception is as good or better than the 60CSX and a smaller, more compact package. No problem locking onto 6 satellites in the ground floor family room of my 2-story house.

Paul

I just got the eTrex Vista HCX from GPSnow.com and couldn't be happier. From what I hear the reception is as good or better than the 60CSX and a smaller, more compact package. No problem locking onto 6 satellites in the ground floor family room of my 2-story house.

Paul

Hmmm.... cheaper too. <aybe I should look into getting thisone instead of the CSx

I just returned a CSx to Wal Mart about an hour ago. I loved the size of the display and the buttons on the front, but it was too dim. I used it while riding my motorcycle and couldn't read it through a pair of sunglasses and a clear visor. Going back to a Vista.

If by "cheap yellow models" you mean the new Venture HC, go for it! My brother and I both just upgraded to the Venture HC. I upgraded my eTrex Legend (blue case, black & white screen), and he upgraded from a Cobra. We got them from Tiger GPS. That seems to be the cheapest place.

The Venture HC is great! It is amazingly fast from boot up, and I get good solid locks on multiple satellites sitting in my living room. With my Legend, I had to set it on the bay window seat to get any satellites at all, sometimes that was iffy, with the accuracy being 150ft or more. Right now, my Venture HC has a solid 8 satellites and my Legend has a tenuous 3. My Legend always had trouble in trees. It would jump around, and sometimes simply refuse to update position until I got to lighter leaf cover. Yesterday we were out in some horrendously dense trees and brush, and never had any trouble with the GPSs.

The screen is very good; high resolution, clear, sharp, easy to read. Although it is physically smaller than my Legend screen, the increased resolution more than makes up for it.

The Venture HC is also extremely configurable, to the point of confusion at times. I assume you're handing these out to novices, so I would suggest that you limit the screens that are available via the "next page" button and reconfigure the data fields that show up on them.

If you (or anyone else) have any questions, please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Doh! Sorry for the second post, but I left out part of my answer: the street mapping software

You should look into that one. I don't have any of the extra Garmin mapping software, just what came with my eTrex Venture HC, but I believe I've seen on some other Groundspeak forums that Garmin ties each copy to a specific GPS unit. If you want to load maps onto 11 or 12 different receivers with a single copy, you should make sure the software allows it.

If you are talking about the Garmin Geko, I think eBay is probably the best place to get several of those. Just make sure the sellers have good Feedback.

If you are handing those out to inexperienced people, I might suggest putting some screen protectors on each of them so the screens don't get scratched. You can get a package of screen protectors on eBay, for discontinued Palm models, for cheap. They aren't as good as the Invisible Shield ones, and you'll have to cut them to size, but for temporary use, I think they would be a good idea. idea.gif

The best deal on the street maps will probably be for the combination packages that also include the beanbag auto-mount and the cigarette-lighter adapter . . . unless you don't need those other items. :P

On edit, checked out the rating for Prestige Camera. They don't do so well . . . :( Places like that offer a very cheap price, but then if you don't fall for their scam and order additional items, they will cancel your order . . . :lol:

Pricegrabber Ratings

Edited by Miragee

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a 60HCSx or something along those lines anytime soon?

Don't know but the 60 series uses a quad-helix antenna while the Etrex are patch antennas so that might make a difference. Maybe an upgrade for the speed of the processor the 60/76 wouldn't be out of the question though.

The best deal on the street maps will probably be for the combination packages that also include the beanbag auto-mount and the cigarette-lighter adapter . . . unless you don't need those other items. :P

On edit, checked out the rating for Prestige Camera. They don't do so well . . . :P Places like that offer a very cheap price, but then if you don't fall for their scam and order additional items, they will cancel your order . . . :P

Pricegrabber Ratings

thanks for bringing that to my attention! I'll spend the extra $24 and get it from GPSnow. (besides, they take paypal)

I've already got a cigarette lighter adapter (uses the same one my cellphone does) and I've got a built in automount for when I'm driving... my husband :lol: I'll still look at those packages though. A *real* mount might be nice :(

Also, be careful when you place your order to get the correct model. When I looked at the Prestige Camera site for the $199 price you quoted, it was NOT for the Vista HCX, but for the Legend HCX. The Vista HCX is selling on their site for $239.99.

I just received my Vista HCX from TVNAV.com two days ago and was very satisfied with the ordering process and quick shipping.