Sign in to follow this  
Followers 11
drew82

is there a national simplex used for geocaching?

use it or lose it

Use it, by all means!

Make contact on the .52 calling frequency like everyone else and MOVE to .55 or wherever, then everyone is happy, nicht wahr?

You might want to keep in mind that casual chat (rag-chewing), no matter how fun or how much of it, will not protect spectrum.

Since the treaty of 1921 our spectrum has been protected only because we continue to provide public service, a ready pool of trained operators that can be called on by the military, and the advancement of science, and for no other reason. Other than in Software Defined Radio there's not much scientific advancement happening in amateur radio at this time, the military no longer needs us, so public service is really the only reason left for why we have protected spectrum. "Use it or lose it" really means that we operators had better get off our duff and prove our value or our play toy will be taken away!

If we hams can't make a convincing argument for why a frequency needs to be allocated for our use for those reasons, which does not include rag-chewing and geo-chat, then we are in fact likely to lose it, so your cry should be "use it for something demonstrably worthwhile or lose it!"

The phrase "use it or lose it" is to remind all amateur operators that we must constantly earn the right to have protected spectrum, it is by no means a birthright!

73 de W4AGA

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Just thought i'd see if there is one being used or if one could be agreed upon here....147.555 for example???

Drawback with 147.555 here in Connecticut, is it's used by the ARRL for their bulletins. (see www.arrl.org for details.) morse, RTTY, ASCII, and voice modes.

Most of the 2m simplex bands are good.. as long as you adhere to the standard regulations (reduced power, ID every 5 minutes, etc.)

Stephen (gelfling6) KA1OBK

I use, among others, a Kenwood Dual-band TH-D7 HT, TMD-700 Dual-band Mobile and a TS-2000x All-band Base; one VFO on each is always tuned to 146.52... when I operate monoband or HF, as I do on my Icom IC-746, I keep a seperate radio on .52. Not much traffic, but occasionally someone needs a call answered. When they do, they know where to tune, no matter where they are... .52!

While traveling to/from geocaching events (that's most of my travel) I am often called by other hams whenever they see my call sign tag and/or antennas, and by geocaching hams who see the geocaching logos on my truck.

The common theme is that all another ham has to see is another ham's 2-meter antenna going down the road to know that a call on .52 will likely raise them.

Why mess with that?

Call on .52, if no answer call on .55, if no answer call on .58? No thanks!

Keep one VFO scanning all the time? No thanks!

A LOT of work goes into national band plans, and all of it takes .52 into consideration as the 2-meter simplex CALLING frequency.

Once you establish contact, move off to any appropriate frequency you want.

If you want geocachers to agree to move to .55 or wherever for geo-chat, cool, but there's no reason to try to make it a calling frequency.

It's not that we're set in our ways and resistant to change so much as "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

This is the problem with standards... everyone wants their own!

73 de W4AGA

Dang. It aint often I agree with TAR. ;)

And as a FYI. No, my primary hiking radio is 20 something yrs old TH21AT and it does NOT have multiple vfos or scanning. What it does have going for it is it's stupid simple to use, fairly compact even by today's standards, can use regular AAA batteries, and most important is tough as a tank.

Frequency does not matter to me. I would use the one that the majority agrees upon. Around here you could pull numbers out of a hat and probably get on a freq that won't bother anyone. I've always like freqs in the 145-146 range as those are particularly dead around here. I also would go for about anywhere on 70cm.

It will be nearly impossible to find a freq that will work in all areas (ref the posts from Canada & about the ARRL broadcasts). Maybe we could all go to our state boards, come up with a local freq & come back and post them to a sticky here??? Our own "band plans" if you like. I would suggest a very few prioritized freqs (3-5) that would come from here that everyone would shoot for in the name of commonality though.

I would like to add get over the 146.52 thing. Let's look at this as our own Geocaching Net freq! Heck it might even grow into a net with purpose.

use it or lose it

Use it, by all means!

Make contact on the .52 calling frequency like everyone else and MOVE to .55 or wherever, then everyone is happy, nicht wahr?

You might want to keep in mind that casual chat (rag-chewing), no matter how fun or how much of it, will not protect spectrum.

Since the treaty of 1921 our spectrum has been protected only because we continue to provide public service, a ready pool of trained operators that can be called on by the military, and the advancement of science, and for no other reason. Other than in Software Defined Radio there's not much scientific advancement happening in amateur radio at this time, the military no longer needs us, so public service is really the only reason left for why we have protected spectrum. "Use it or lose it" really means that we operators had better get off our duff and prove our value or our play toy will be taken away!

If we hams can't make a convincing argument for why a frequency needs to be allocated for our use for those reasons, which does not include rag-chewing and geo-chat, then we are in fact likely to lose it, so your cry should be "use it for something demonstrably worthwhile or lose it!"

The phrase "use it or lose it" is to remind all amateur operators that we must constantly earn the right to have protected spectrum, it is by no means a birthright!

73 de W4AGA

Casual ragchewing is one thing that allocating a national geocaching call freq would help avoid.. i know if i put my call out on 52 around where i live i'd better be ready for an hour conversation about everything in the world aside from geocaching... very heavy use of 52 around here... i cant speak for everyone, nor will i try to, just inrojecting an idea that would get the airwaves going... don't see a negitive... put the call out on the agreed upon freq, if another cacher hears.. bam, you have a good conversation.. if not move to 52 for some nonspecific chatter.... sad that the frs people can have an agreed upon channel set aside.. that is different from the agreed upon emergency channel they use, yet it seems when someone trys to make a positive suggestion in our community all the know it alls want to bicker until all new ideas are snuffed out.. good grief ... and amateur radio is a hobby as much as a service, in fact prolly a hobby more often... at least till an emergency or community service, or preparing for one... sick of know it all operators who think they earned my liscense for me, and crazys planning for the bomb to go off... i believe in being prepared but come on... lighten up and enjoy the radios some... and agree on something that would help add the interest of plain old cachers to ham,, and plain old ham operators to caching... getting a national freq agreed on and put on the geocaching site and in future band plans would be great for the future of both hobbys....

use it or lose it

Use it, by all means!

73 de W4AGA

Casual ragchewing is one thing that allocating a national geocaching call freq would help avoid.. i know if i put my call out on 52 around where i live i'd better be ready for an hour conversation about everything in the world aside from geocaching... very heavy use of 52 around here... i cant speak for everyone, nor will i try to, just inrojecting an idea that would get the airwaves going... don't see a negitive... put the call out on the agreed upon freq, if another cacher hears.. bam, you have a good conversation.. if not move to 52 for some nonspecific chatter.... sad that the frs people can have an agreed upon channel set aside.. that is different from the agreed upon emergency channel they use, yet it seems when someone trys to make a positive suggestion in our community all the know it alls want to bicker until all new ideas are snuffed out.. good grief ... and amateur radio is a hobby as much as a service, in fact prolly a hobby more often... at least till an emergency or community service, or preparing for one... sick of know it all operators who think they earned my liscense for me, and crazys planning for the bomb to go off... i believe in being prepared but come on... lighten up and enjoy the radios some... and agree on something that would help add the interest of plain old cachers to ham,, and plain old ham operators to caching... getting a national freq agreed on and put on the geocaching site and in future band plans would be great for the future of both hobbys....

Lets not forget the promoting international goodwill people...

Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should have bought the TH-F6A HT instead of the VX-6R. I could scan the simplex frequencies while scannering all the repeaters along a specific route. Bummer. Well, it gives me an excuse to buy a mobile.

I did just that. I also picked up a Kenwood TM-V71A mobile for my truck. Ooh, shiny.

All these arguments about monitoring 52... is my radio the only one with a scan feature?

no kidding. i have so many frequencies on my radios, and yet i hear so little on any of them. sad. it is true, they if they arent gonna be used, they will be absorbed back into the governments paws. and soon enough, we will be down there with as few frequencies as CB has.

im game for a geocaching frequency. be it 147.555 or whatever. i think one point that we all have been missing here is this. if you travel to another area outside your normal stomping grounds, and say you are out caching, if you have a known caching frequency to tune to, no matter where you are, colorado, california florida, somewhere in the boonies where your gps barely works... (or anywhere) you KNOW that is the frequency for caching. just like you know .52 is the national calling freq. what does it hurt to have one extra memory programmed in? i know on my truck radio i have tons of open memory spots and in my shack rig, well, TONS more than that. giving up one more is NOT gonna hurt me (or anyone).

i will tell you this, in my own experiences, when it comes to adding any hobby to my HAM hobby. i have been met with SEVERE resistance. for instance, when i first got my gps, i was very new to HAM. i would listen in on the repeaters and chat and stuff, but when i emailed a local club about getting gps coords for their repeater towers to plug into my gps, youd think i had threatened to call the FCC for some reason. all i wanted to do was plug in the the linked systems repeaters coords into my gps so when i was traveling, i would know what repeater i could most likely reach by looking at my gps and where it was to me. i would be able to know where the dead spots were etc. (some of the routes i would travel, late at night, wouldnt even have cell service, so i was hoping to still be able to use the radio in case of a problem) but no way jose. that was uncalled for. they acted as though i wanted to get the coords to give to terrorists so they could blow up the repeaters or whatever. needless to say it was a turn off for the HAM hobby, being met with such an attitude.

to tell you the truth, a lot of the times i have switched on my radio, i have been afraid to pick up the mic. im pretty new to HAM, and im not quite comfortable with the whole thing yet. some people i meet, well, they make me wanna reach down and turn my radio off.

back on topic, i cant speak for different frequencies being used in my area right now. im in korea, and i wont be back for several months. but when i do get back, i would love to make some contacts with other cachers in my area, especially those that use HAM. i could use a little help navigating both worlds some times, caching and HAM.

and it is not gonna hurt the HAM world to give one frequency to a NATIONAL organization of cachers. for crying out loud most of the frequencies are empty anyway. and keeping them empty is not gonna help. i guess it is the normal tendency of the HAM operator, they gather like bugs at the light, where ever they hear traffic. :(

youve got my vote 147.555. when i get back, ill be sure to add a channel to my radio especially for those times i go out caching.

i do most of my caching in oklahoma. look forward to hearing some HAM cachers there, and when I travel, maybe hearing some other HAM cachers out and about.

KE5FJZ

oh, and if it turns out that 147.555 is not a good frequency in all areas, im sure there will be plenty of help available to find an open frequency that is fairly open everywhere, and as "gentlemen's code" will go, those that are using it on occasion might not have a problem letting it go for a greater cause.

Very proud to see this thread still going... I think we should begin talking about what choices we have as to a frequency to use... I mentioned 147.555 to start, but some people have mentioned that its not the best choice in their area... So... What works for every one...146.40-146.58 or some where in 147.42-147.57... maybe 146.400????

i always monitor 146.52

if me and a friend are somewhere we usually use 147.48

146.52 makes he most sense since it is already established. Trying to find a agreed alternate is going to be a real headache since you will never know regionally what is being used.

The last two posts make me think the people posting them have not read all the posts in this topic.... We are trying to establish something here... Get it put in the geocaching faq on the website and have it widely known in the ham community and bandplans.... The use of another specific frequency for geocache traffic like 52 is used for general and emergency traffic.... please refer to previous posts...

The last two posts make me think the people posting them have not read all the posts in this topic.... We are trying to establish something here... Get it put in the geocaching faq on the website and have it widely known in the ham community and bandplans.... The use of another specific frequency for geocache traffic like 52 is used for general and emergency traffic.... please refer to previous posts...

Having been one of the previous two post, rest assured, they were read. .52 makes the most sense for the many reasons stated.

Having been one of the previous two post, rest assured, they were read. .52 makes the most sense for the many reasons stated.

Maybe you and the people who posted the "many reasons stated" should start your own thread called "BREAKER BREAKER 52" or "HOW THE AMATUER RADIO OPERATORS LOST ALL THE FREE SIMPLEX FREQUENCYS EXCEPT 52" Seems like your attitudes would make for good posts under the afore said titles...

Edited by drew82

It didn't start out as a rant... but my intended effect is different to different people.. I'd say its had its intended effect on everyone:) Seems easy to annoy those ham operators who are narrow minded about frequencys... why don't we just forget vfos and put a channel 1 and channel 2 for simplex in the new radios coming out.. channel 1... 52 channel 2 .... 58 ......... and just give up the rest.... I guess this argument is like many others, including dropping the code... the gent that said they use 58 in his area, i think thats great, i really do, because these are the people that would be more likely to agree with other cachers on this site if a freq was chosen to be the official geocache call channel... i'm not trying to start an argument or a fight... just thought it was a fun idea and one that would be beneficial to both communitys... all we have is what we've made, and at this rate what we have is all we'll ever have... would no one else on this forum feel some kind of pride if something official was decided and agreed on, and put on the geocaching.com webpage... and maybe even future bandplans... no wonder theres nothing to do with ham radio on the webpage in the faqs... frs but no ham... we cant agree on anything.. there are alot of people who argue for the use of 52 while caching... i have no problem with people putting out a call on 52 while caching.. but whats the harm of having a official agreed upon caching freq to qsy to after making a contact? tell me that.. whats the harm.. nothing is going to change 52 from being the 2 meter call freq.. not trying to .. I dont know.. guess its not worth the fuss....

previous post of mine in this thread... mood i seem to be in again.....

can a frequency just be picked and said good? even though it may be in use in other parts of the country for people who occasionally chat, if it makes it onto a band plan, doesn't that over rule any persons "preferred" chat frequency?

what i mean is, if a frequency is chosen, and it is given recognition by the fcc and put on a band plan, doesn't that stated purpose give the proper users (in this case geocachers) priority over all other traffic? so it doesnt matter what the frequency is, once the fcc puts it on the band plan, that is what it will be used for... right? (as long as it fits the requirements, and doesn't affect any other stated traffic on the band plan.)

Maybe you and the people who posted the "many reasons stated" should start your own thread called "BREAKER BREAKER 52" or "HOW THE AMATUER RADIO OPERATORS LOST ALL THE FREE SIMPLEX FREQUENCYS EXCEPT 52" Seems like your attitudes would make for good posts under the afore said titles...

Sorry there are opposing view in a discussion forum, who would have thought someone might actually apply logic?

Simplistic may be a more apt term here. I'm sure with these overpowering persuasion tactics you'll have no problem. Keep us posted how it works out for ya.

Insulting people who disagree with you is usually not a good way to convert people over to your side. Seems a bit uhm CBish in my opinion.

It's also not a good way to retain your ability to post here.

And this goes for everyone. If you can't post rationally don't post. M'kay?

Insulting people who disagree with you is usually not a good way to convert people over to your side. Seems a bit uhm CBish in my opinion.

It's also not a good way to retain your ability to post here.

And this goes for everyone. If you can't post rationally don't post. M'kay?

Just offering suggestions for who i think are closed minded people...Key phrase in that"i think",Not insulting anyone... If there are people who are insulted by a suggestion of a topic i think they would be able to enlighten us on I apologize, just a little sarcasim ... apparently I'm the first person to ever post using this "sarcasm" thing... Didnt think so, but maybe so.... maybe the administrator should make all the posts, so they will be appropriate for him... And heaven forbid anyone have an idea for using unused frequencys.... The national weather service skywarn website posts 146.550 as the national skywarn frequency... how dare they not use 52... did the unedumacated people there not get the memo... I'm not trying to offend anyone... just think there have been enough people post under this that agree with the idea to move ahead with it alittle.. not debate it further and further and further and further untill there's nothing left to debate because some cell phone company bought the right to the frequecys we woud have been able to use... I can see this post has run a fairly longer run than alot of others, which tells me it would seem to be something that people have an oppinion on, whether for or against... Just don't see the harm.. imagine this everyone, with an open mind like it was already so when you got your ticket and got into this hobby, much like 52 was already the national simplex call frequency for 2 meters...(hate to have been one of the people in that decision)... and imagine it like it was before i offended anyone( not my intent, just alittle sarcasm)... Imagine on the geocaching.com webpage faq, listed was the national amateur radio geocache call frequency... Imagine on qrz, or eham, or some other ham site, or in their band plans having a frequency listed in the same manner... Now imagine how many more people would be enlightened on each hobby in that manner, than would be told about it after getting them on 52 when calling, then having to explain it to them.. imagine how much of an impact it would have on sparking interest in people who never would have heard of the other... And now think of the impact in your personal life, of enjoying both hobbys... first of all, all cachers in the bush agree to scan 52 for emergencys also.. imagine hearing something faint on your ht while your out... bam you already have an idea of what it is your hearing.. and imagine at your home with your very high antenna, and you see the scan stop on the agreed upon freq, bam again.. and say hear someone distantly caching.. or by chance the band opens up a bit and you hear someone caching somewhere very distant and exchange calls with them and have it listed on their post on the geocaching site that they had a qso with you, and from how far away on fm simplex.... sounds like a very neat and simple thing to me ..." to me " being the key phrase in that... and the administrator saying my post was cbish... its sad to scan through the 40 cb channels at night and hear how many are being used ... and to do the same with 2 meter simplex frequencys and hear nothing... The truth is we need more people on the air... and this is a way to get some, by giving them knowledge of and a reason to get their ticket, and a set aside frequency to give them a little identity and drive to want to fool with getting a ham licsense ... maybe a wild idea, maybe not worth the fuss...

Edited by drew82

I want to see it somewhere other than .52 for a reason. In some areas there could be the possibility of actually creating a Geocaching Net. We can never have enough people participating on nets & this could be the one that net newbies would participate on. It might lead to some new people on the emergency nets. Anything that could get more people more involved is worth a try! We could even see some Ham special events originate from this also.

I want to see it somewhere other than .52 for a reason. In some areas there could be the possibility of actually creating a Geocaching Net. We can never have enough people participating on nets & this could be the one that net newbies would participate on. It might lead to some new people on the emergency nets. Anything that could get more people more involved is worth a try! We could even see some Ham special events originate from this also.

Not sure that was what the OP is suggesting, I read it as a calling frequency.

I agree that it would be nice to have a frequency specified on GC.com for net use, however some of the same issues mentioned above still apply to handling it nationally or worldwide versus locally. There are many nets organized now on VHF, HF and other modes for Geocaching. Unfortunately they are hard to find and tend to fizzle after a while. I would really like to see more nets on the bands. Most seem to be opting for chats on the Internet.

Assuming the OP was asking about a calling frequency, .52 still works best taking into consideration that if a net is set up on a frequency, during that net period it becomes less useful as calling frequency. Calling frequencies, whether they be .52 or another, are meant to call then move off to another frequency.

Not sure that was what the OP is suggesting, I read it as a calling frequency.

I agree that it would be nice to have a frequency specified on GC.com for net use, however some of the same issues mentioned above still apply to handling it nationally or worldwide versus locally. There are many nets organized now on VHF, HF and other modes for Geocaching. Unfortunately they are hard to find and tend to fizzle after a while. I would really like to see more nets on the bands. Most seem to be opting for chats on the Internet.

Assuming the OP was asking about a calling frequency, .52 still works best taking into consideration that if a net is set up on a frequency, during that net period it becomes less useful as calling frequency. Calling frequencies, whether they be .52 or another, are meant to call then move off to another frequency.

Calling frequency as in calling for caching related traffic.. and as the home frequency to hear all things to do with geocaching... yes i understand what your saying about calling frequencys, i suggest the agreed upon frequency as a calling/ragchewing/all geocaching traffic frequency... At least as a start... dont imagine there will be a need to move to another freq when you hear a call since just by calling on that freq you are calling for or listening for geocaching traffic...whether we end up with alternates to go to for ragchewing depends on traffic and how this thing takes off ...

And Yes.. The ones that fizzle and are hard to find, as you said are a big part of my thoughts on this... If we can agree on a set aside frequency(as in gentlemens agreement like our band plans) and get it in the geocaching faq on the geocaching.com webpage it would have a huge impact in bringing people accross from each hobby... Something that wouldnt fizzle... something concrete on the site, right where it all starts for everyone in this hobby.. The thing is to work together, from region to region in figuring out a frequency that will work so we can get somewhere with this... I first suggested 147.555, someone said it was used heavily in their area for other things... so now to the next suggestion... and so on... If we can agree on something, anything, we'll have a voice and a presence on the site and in the geocaching hobby.. and not just a little corner in the forums where we, the small percentage of ham cachers, seem to gather and look at the very few posts, by the very few people, compared to the other places in the forums... I'm sure someone had to fight to get the hams a spot in the forums,, glad they did! Now lets get organized and take it to the next level...

Edited by drew82

Is this idea totally dead or what? IMO it does sound good to have a "cacher" call frequency vs using .52 and doing what? "CQ Geocacher"

7.555 is fine by me. I don't see any problem with scanning.....I'm not that lazy. I can set in the national calling freq, and a few others, including 7.555....no problem.

Common usage over a few years will dictate whether it catches on....or not. It's a fun idea to try!

Regards,

Tom C.

W6RTI

Well, I'll have to add 147.555 to my HT's scan list and see if anyone in this area starts using it at all, just got my ticket a few weeks ago and one of them fancy vx-7r. Odd to me I have never heard anyone on .52, only traffic I hear is on the repeaters in the area so far...

Anyways, I'll keep a ear to the air and nose to the ground..

~Wolf

KB3QEX

(Edit: Forgot callsign... Duh)

Edited by WolfMetalFab

Unless I see a different frequency suggested, I'll add 7.555 on my scan list too.

Unless I see a different frequency suggested, I'll add 7.555 on my scan list too.

So tha, I guess everyone is settled on a national Geocahing ham frequency than, right? Seems that 147.555 should work for those hams out Geocaching. Now, if that's settled, what locally, same frequency right?

Jeff

KE7OUR

Why not just going up the band a bit and use 146.58. It is close to the national call but enough not to bother anyone using it.

Fred

KC9EZP

Fort Wayne, In

146.58 is one of our pre-planned emergency response frequencies in the Federal Way, WA area...doesn't preclude it from being used for caching, but (as mentioned above) most of us have plenty of spare memories on our rigs, so adding in 147.555 is not a problem...I'll be adding it in the next few minutes.

73--Dan, AF7O (Ex-KK7UZ)

Here in the SF Bay Area I have noticed lots of HamCachers using the MDARC Repeater at 147.060 + 100pl

They also use 7.555 in the field.

I like 7.555, .52 not used to much round here.

Also I happen to have a VX-7r tri bander and also monitor 52.525 splx

In the Air Everywhere !!

Remember FieldDay is coming " Ride the Wave " 08 !!

Operating from Mt. Diablo Ca. W6CX

Ken

K6KAW

CM87xx

Edited by K6KAW

Very glad to see this topic is still going:) I think that this idea is catching on and will see the outcome that we all would like to see..

Greetings fellow HamCachers.... :( I recieved an email from Groundspeak today saying that they will add the frequency to the F.A.Q. on the geocaching.com webpage if enough of us agree on it in this thread... So your voice will be heard either way on this matter by posting that you either agree or disagree, and any comments, they're listening... would like even the lurkers to at least post agree or disagree if you would... 3100 views 81 posts on this thread so far... I know that there are some that would like all conversations to start on .52... I'm not trying to take that away from you... start it there if you like ... qsy to 147.555 after if you want to for a geo chat.... Or start there and call on 147.555 with your call and that your out caching :D We have the chance for a mention on the Geocaching.com website in the getting started faq, cant imagine that being bad for the ham community, and i imagine we may see some new cachers that want better radios in the field... what better way to get someones interest and let the hobby do the rest... So.. The question is.... Should we have 147.555 listed on the geocaching.com website as our agreed upon caching frequency? Here's our chance!!!SO, Please post your reply!!!! :D THANKS And i agree on 147.555 :D

I am for 147.555, start anywhere you like but end up here.

Trees, KC9JFX

I like the idea of having the Geocaching simplex on 147.555. I lets people from different areas to "Call for Help".

Fred

KC9EZP

This is a little bit OT, but i've always wanted to get into HAM radio, but I've had a hard time finding a place to take classes. I'm a minor and I'm in Rochester, NY. Any tips?

This is a little bit OT, but i've always wanted to get into HAM radio, but I've had a hard time finding a place to take classes. I'm a minor and I'm in Rochester, NY. Any tips?

Hi.. Very glad to see your question.. I think i have some good information for you... It appears that there is an active amateur radio club in your area.. http://www.rochesterham.org/ ... And it looks like they have a ham license class offered, which is very nice being we don't for interested people in my area of Tn... here's a link to the page that explains with email addresses and phone numbers of instructers.. http://www.rochesterham.org/raraclas.htm .... Anyway .. hope this helps... Also look at www.qrz.com and you can take some practice tests to get the feel of the questions... Good luck... :) Geocaching :laughing:

Edited by drew82

147.555 sounds fine to me.Very little use of 2 meter locally lately. Glad to see the advice given on the club and classes.

Has anyone thought to check with the radio community on this? Maybe the ARRL, RAC or even AMSAT.

An objection may very well be potential interference to other activities.

A search will show that;

1. W1AW uses this frequency for morse code practice and that is rebrodcast by many clubs in the area on the same freq. They also use it for Field Day exercises as well as other emergency type field activities

2. Many, if not most, ARES/RACE groups use this for their nets, practice exercisess and emergency situation.

3. This is used by several repeaters (i.e KK4CZ in Louisville).

4. This is a commonly accepted frequency used for cross band operations.

5. Many DXpeditions utilize this frequency.

This is not like FRS, which is still unregulated for the most part.

This can not be done in a vacuum with no involvement from the amateur community without potentially ruffling feathers and causing tension and this is only taking the US into account.. There are groups that spend a lot of time working this type of thing out.

146.52 is already there for this type of thing and would not cause any issues. No need to fix what is not broken.

Edited by baloo&bd

2. Many, if not most, ARES/RACE groups use this for their nets, practice exercisess and emergency situation.

I have been monitoring it locally, and will continue to do so. I actually thought our local ARES group used this frequency, but looking it up it turns out my memory was wrong as it's 146 not 147. That being said, I think as long as priority is given to any emergency traffic I doubt there will be serious issues. I'm sure every frequency is used by someone. Or so it seems to me.

But the bigger problem, in my mind, isn't which frequency to use. It's that we're talking about a niche of people overlapping with another niche of people. In my area, I don't know anyone who is both a HAM and a geocacher. I've tried calling out for "any geocachers out there" in multiple cities and never got any responses... I'd love to randomly rant to people "ok i'm looking under the log now", but I'm afraid it would just fall on static.

We could also set aside a HF frequency for chatting in general. That's more likely to be possible to at least chat when we feel like it, though it's certainly less useful when actually caching.

KI6NQW

Edited by Yamar

Has anyone thought to check with the radio community on this? Maybe the ARRL, RAC or even AMSAT.

An objection may very well be potential interference to other activities.

A search will show that;

1. W1AW uses this frequency for morse code practice and that is rebrodcast by many clubs in the area on the same freq. They also use it for Field Day exercises as well as other emergency type field activities

3. This is used by several repeaters (i.e KK4CZ in Louisville).

4. This is a commonly accepted frequency used for cross band operations.

5. Many DXpeditions utilize this frequency.

This is not like FRS, which is still unregulated for the most part.

This can not be done in a vacuum with no involvement from the amateur community without potentially ruffling feathers and causing tension and this is only taking the US into account.. There are groups that spend a lot of time working this type of thing out.

146.52 is already there for this type of thing and would not cause any issues. No need to fix what is not broken.

.52 is a calling freq.. meant for making contact and moving to another freq by its nature by being a calling freq... And our band plans are not regulated by the fcc, but by bandplans enforced by gentlemans agreements which list 147.555 as a simplex frequency open to anyone who wants to use it...

Here is the bandplan on the arrl webpage...

144.00-144.05 EME (CW)

144.05-144.10 General CW and weak signals

144.10-144.20 EME and weak-signal SSB

144.200 National calling frequency

144.200-144.275 General SSB operation

144.275-144.300 Propagation beacons

144.30-144.50 New OSCAR subband

144.50-144.60 Linear translator inputs

144.60-144.90 FM repeater inputs

144.90-145.10 Weak signal and FM simplex (145.01,03,05,07,09 are widely used for packet)

145.10-145.20 Linear translator outputs

145.20-145.50 FM repeater outputs

145.50-145.80 Miscellaneous and experimental modes

145.80-146.00 OSCAR subband

146.01-146.37 Repeater inputs

146.40-146.58 Simplex

146.52 National Simplex Calling Frequency

146.61-146.97 Repeater outputs ______________________________________

147.00-147.39 Repeater outputs

147.42-147.57 Simplex <<<< 147.555 falls within simplex operation in arrl bandplan

147.60-147.99 Repeater inputs _____________________________________

The fcc time and time again, case after case recommends adhering to the arrl bandplan... yes 147.555 is used by some around the country, but is owned by no one... and generally accepting this as a ragchewing freq while geocaching will not set ablaze the fabric of amateur radio... I searched for 147.555 on yahoo to see who all may have it listed to use... countless, and for countless activitys from emergencys to club ragchewing ... like with every other freq... it is not wrong nor illegal to list a freq for use, or to meet on, as long as you respect the fccs allocations and respect the bandplan...and it seems no one else is shy about it...... In respect to someone else using the freq.. How many times have you wanted to chat with someone about something, but 52 was busy... the solution is the same if someone is using 555 .. qsy to another freq... And as far as skywarn and civil emergency groups using this freq.. ALL frequencys are to be respected for emergency use during an emergency , as they always have been... NOTHING changes that... yes this would be the freq for the u.s.a. ... taking into account different freq allocations by different countrys... its a start... like with the frs, there are different freqs used in other parts of the world because of freq allocations of other countrys being different..... Listing this simplex freq for general geocaching chatter will not lock it out or cause constant interference to anyone, it will most likely just be monitored more... And maybe make us key up a little more often... :anibad:

Edited by drew82

I have been monitoring it locally, and will continue to do so. I actually thought our local ARES group used this frequency, but looking it up it turns out my memory was wrong as it's 146 not 147. That being said, I think as long as priority is given to any emergency traffic I doubt there will be serious issues. I'm sure every frequency is used by someone. Or so it seems to me.

But the bigger problem, in my mind, isn't which frequency to use. It's that we're talking about a niche of people overlapping with another niche of people. In my area, I don't know anyone who is both a HAM and a geocacher. I've tried calling out for "any geocachers out there" in multiple cities and never got any responses... I'd love to randomly rant to people "ok i'm looking under the log now", but I'm afraid it would just fall on static.

We could also set aside a HF frequency for chatting in general. That's more likely to be possible to at least chat when we feel like it, though it's certainly less useful when actually caching.

KI6NQW

I think the hf freq would be a good idea too, especially for nets.. And the comment you made about overlapping groups of people is something that i think could benefit both communitys.. I was amazed at how all the local hams were amazed when i introduced them to geocaching at our last field day... Most of them had a gps for aprs or other gadget lover use, but had no idea about geocaching... it turns out there was a cache hidden in the park where we do our field day.. long story short a large group of excited people entered in the coordinates i had in my gps and set out into the woods... it was great.. found the big ammo can and they were hooked.. Thats all it takes... both groups of people are so like minded, i think this would be a good first step in inviting geocachers to ham, and hams to caching.. An open familiar door from both sides...

147.555 works for me but I will be the only one in my area using it. I did an unscientific study last year, and was recording my local repeater, for 12 hours, the recording ended up with about 1 minute and 30 seconds of audio, the next day I recorded another repeater not in my area via echolink, and it had over 30 minutes of audio,for the same 12 hour time frame.

Speaking of echolink, how about using it for nets?, I can't afford hf gear right now.

73 de KCØQNB.

If I had it my way, I would say 446.500. I hate 2M :D

Yup i agree!! Here in the Uk we are allowed 144-146 anyhow on 2m!

I've been caching since March 2002 and around the DC area, or Miami, I never got anybody on simplex while geocaching. One fellow buddy put a cache out near his home, with ham radio, FRS, and CB channels to call out on, and he never heard anything (and he monitors a bunch).

To me, and this is just my personal take, I don't think "cold calling" is the way to combine ham radio and geocaching. The best function is getting some fellow hams together, going to an early breakfast together, then head out to cache together for the day. There you can use the HTs to help find the caches faster, or just add some fun. If there are some caches close together, spread out. Maybe make a cache that gets non-hams interested in ham radio. Use ham radio to get folks interest in geocaching.

That's my take.

Oh, and on the simplex frequencies, this I know,

146.460 is used by RACES and similar emergency radio groups

146.490 is the freq. used by Rail Spotters (rail road enthusiasts)

146.550 is the freq. used for VHF contesters and is the unofficial storm chasers freq.

146.580 is the other freq. used by VHF contesters

I know there's a simplex for model airplane and model rocket hobbyists. I'm sure there's more, so just a heads up on those.

I've been caching since March 2002 and around the DC area, or Miami, I never got anybody on simplex while geocaching. One fellow buddy put a cache out near his home, with ham radio, FRS, and CB channels to call out on, and he never heard anything (and he monitors a bunch).

To me, and this is just my personal take, I don't think "cold calling" is the way to combine ham radio and geocaching. The best function is getting some fellow hams together, going to an early breakfast together, then head out to cache together for the day. There you can use the HTs to help find the caches faster, or just add some fun. If there are some caches close together, spread out. Maybe make a cache that gets non-hams interested in ham radio. Use ham radio to get folks interest in geocaching.

That's my take.

Oh, and on the simplex frequencies, this I know,

146.460 is used by RACES and similar emergency radio groups

146.490 is the freq. used by Rail Spotters (rail road enthusiasts)

146.550 is the freq. used for VHF contesters and is the unofficial storm chasers freq.

146.580 is the other freq. used by VHF contesters

I know there's a simplex for model airplane and model rocket hobbyists. I'm sure there's more, so just a heads up on those.

Good example of how other enthusiasts have adopted frequencys to use... Think the meeting for breakfast then going caching with other hams is a good idea... would be nice to flip to the freq decided on for simplex ops, i know i leave my home rig scanning simplex freqs all the time. If people know where to listen eventually they might... From my home i could give cachers info from the cache pages, radar updates, or directions... So many ways a listening ham cacher at home could help or get some geo fun in even on a day they werent able to go caching:)... -drew