Sign in to follow this  
Followers 11
drew82

is there a national simplex used for geocaching?

Just thought i'd see if there is one being used or if one could be agreed upon here....147.555 for example???

What's wrong with 146.52?

SteveL

Maybe too many non-caching hams use that one :laughing:

Shawn

VE6TEQ

What's wrong with 146.52?

SteveL

Maybe too many non-caching hams use that one <_<

Shawn

VE6TEQ

Yeah, heaven forbid we clue non-caching hams into how much fun geocaching is! :blink:

nothing wrong with 146.520... i just think that a specific agreed upon freq would be a good idea.. i like to leave my home rig on simplex most of the time when i don't feel like hearing constant chatter from local repeaters and i think it would be nice to have a certain freq to listen for cachers on... be neat during band openings.. when you want chit chat 52 is great but as hams we should be using more of our frequencys... breaker breaker 19.. if you know what i mean.... lets agree on something and give it a shot.... want to hear some caching dx ....

every time someone suggests using another simplex frequency for anything there are always people who have to throw in.. what about 52... good grief... we do have a little more to work with... and those people can be glad to hop on 52 and tell everyone to qsy to the other freq if interested... be nice to have a specific freq to listen for cachers on...

every time someone suggests using another simplex frequency for anything there are always people who have to throw in.. what about 52... good grief... we do have a little more to work with... and those people can be glad to hop on 52 and tell everyone to qsy to the other freq if interested... be nice to have a specific freq to listen for cachers on...

So lets just pick one and use it. In my area we have 6 repeaters and only one gets used on a regular basis. Geriatric network is about all it is, and I don't think any of the locals even know about simplex operation :) so there is quite a few frequencies we can pick from!

I agree! My vote is for 147.555... I think its a pretty easy one to remember.. And I think the best way to share geocaching with other hams is if enough of us use this frequency that maybe some day on the little printed out band plans it will say 146.520- national simplex calling freq and then 147.555- national simplex geocaching call freq....<_< Thats good publicity!

Come on people:) lets get this going... all those memory channels in your radios, whats one more to put in:) So many people viewing the thread and not giving any input... me and the hams in my area will be using and monitoring 147.555... Jackson , TN 90 miles from memphis... If you think its a good idea say so and tell us where you'll be telling your friends about it and using it.. <_<

Good idea. 147.555 works for me!

Just a comment: 146.520 is a call freq. You're supposed to monitor it and if you start into a QSO you're really supposed to move off the call freq. (Lots of people don't move off, especially if there is little or no traffic on 52. Fine by me.)

VE3THN

Why not just going up the band a bit and use 146.58. It is close to the national call but enough not to bother anyone using it.

Fred

KC9EZP

Fort Wayne, In

i know of 146.580 to be used in alot of areas for a place to swap to after getting a contact on 52 .. and the local ema guys use it for drills... just thought we could use one that would be unique to us...

This comes up about once a year here. It's always boiled down to 52 for many reasons.

If it works, why change it? Just for the sake of change?

In most places 52 is not very active anyway, so what if a non-cacher hears about geocaching. You just might make a new caching buddy.

And most importantly, safety. There is already an official ARRL wilderness protocol for outdoor enthusiasts. That includes us cachers. If you are injured in the woods do you want to hope you are able to program your radio to the proper freq or do you want to press the PTT? Do you want help from anyone that can hear you, or just other cachers?

This protocol suggests that hams outside of repeater range monitor national simplex, 146.52 as a primary frequency and 52.525, 223.5, 446.0, and 1294.5 as secondary frequencies. The times to be monitored are 7a.m., 10 a.m., 1 p.m., 4 p.m., and 7 p.m. for a duration of 5 minutes. Therefore, one would monitor from 7 to 7:05 a.m., 10 to 10:05 a.m., etc.

As an option, the backcountry hiker or camper can announce his or her callsign and location at those times. That way, another ham can continuously monitor their progress and have an idea of where to look should something go wrong.

Read more here: http://www.arsqrp.com/ars/pages/back_issue...xt/finding.html

Edited by Mopar

Yes, I am familar with the wilderness protocol that you bring up... I don't dispute its uses or benefits.. And i as well as most other hams that are near wilderness areas monitor 52 for this purpose... There are many reasons why i bring up the idea of using a unique freq for caching... here are a few... one.. even in the directions on the website for using channel 2 on frs, channel 2 is not the widely agreed on emergency channel on frs, channel 1 is... two... most of the caches in the country that i see on the website are not in the deep deadly wilderness, and are not a risk to life and limb.. and in fact in this area 52 is used to chat on by the same dozen locals talking on a daily basis, as i imagine is true in other areas as well.. why are we so narrow minded when it comes to our frequencys.. this is the attitude that lost us part of the 1.25 centimeter band that we didnt use very often.. these frequencys our very valuble and its a shame not to encourage the use of different ones for causes like this... im not talking about a few people using this.. i'm talking about it being a community accepted thing.. Look at ten meters... its a band that isnt the most widely used during the years of unfavourable conditions, but the Ten Ten international http://www.ten-ten.org/... has kept it going and out of cb ers hands by using the band on a daily basis.. and if you look at most ten meter band plans it shows the traditional ten meter calling freq.. but most also show the different ten ten calling freq... thats what im talking about here.. a community coming together here and doing something that would have a very wide array of benefits for the ham and geocaching communitys.. a geocaching call freq... something unique that would warrent the attention of other non-ham geocachers.. if it could be agreed upon, and placed in the geocaching website, much like the accepted protocol for using channel two on frs, then all begining geocachers would see this information when they click to read what the deal with this geocache thing is...Be great to see a geocaching call frequency on the website, and on the band plan... AND IT CAN HAPPEN IF WE MAKE IT SO... come on people! The post that said 'any hams here' showed well over a thousand... thats alot of hams in alot of communitys that could get this going and in the books...

:unsure: Ok, I'll give it a try next time I'm out. I have tried 146.52 a few times and no one answers. When I was in Yellowstone Wy last year, only time I made a contact was when I went out of the park and managed to contact a local. Mayby it will work here in Indy.

Trees

KC9JFX

:D Ok, I'll give it a try next time I'm out. I have tried 146.52 a few times and no one answers. When I was in Yellowstone Wy last year, only time I made a contact was when I went out of the park and managed to contact a local. Mayby it will work here in Indy.

Trees

KC9JFX

If we're using ham radio walking in the wilderness, it's a good idea to monitor 146.52 as the expectation is that's where people will go to call for help. We can be helpful, but that may interrupt our fun perhaps. If we're going to have a ragchew while we're out looking for cache, we can always move off the calling freq. However, if I'm just carrying my radio with me on a hunt, I'll monitor 146.52 -- not for me, for the guy who might need my help. TruthSeer KBØMZF

Edited by TruthSeer

All these arguments about monitoring 52... is my radio the only one with a scan feature?

I've been hamming a lot longer than I've been geocaching. I'll listen (if I have my radio with me) on .555, (and .52 for folks in trouble) and even give a blind call once in a while if I can juggle it in. But, I expect I'll hear a lot of dead air. It's not argument. It's just the truth. And, yes. I do have a scanning function. 555 is as good as any other freq. Thanks for the thought-provoking idea. Let's all put a little fire in the wire, eh?

I agree:) prolly alot of dead air... bout like the topic:) thanks for the reply... 73

Do you have an IRLP link near you? Send me an e-mail with a node number and your call. I'm usually hamming on my way to work, anywhere from 0800 to 0845 CDT. I would love to talk a little cache on the drive. If you're not familiar with the IRLP check out www.irlp.net and give it a whirl.

All these arguments about monitoring 52... is my radio the only one with a scan feature?

A lot of hams think that because the US band plan says "146.52 is the 2m simplex calling freq" that it is the ONLY frequency that can be used, and that it MUST be used.

Certainly, I would use it if I was in a new area and didn't know anyone and wanted to put out a CQ.

But... I regularly chat with my friends on simplex on other frequencies without ever visiting 146.52 There's nothing illegal or immoral about it, despite what some people seem to think.

The Canadian bandplan (which is a guideline, and does not have force of law, but we're all gentlemen about it) lists FM simplex on 146.400, 146.415, 146.430, 146.445, 146.460, 147.475, 146.490, 146.505, 146.520, 146.535, 146.550, 146.565, 146.580, 147.420, 147.450, 147.480, 147.510, 147.540, 147.570. There's really nothing stopping anyone from legally operating simplex on, say, 146.555 other than if you were causing interference with someone on 550 and a complaint was generated, you might be viewed as the "at fault" person.

This topic came up about a year or so ago, and the reponse at that time was 146.58, I know this fits with the simplex band plan in Colorado (http://www.k0nr.com/rwitte/2m_frequencies.html).

Drew brought up a point of scanning, and I do have twin VFO's on my HT (TH-F6A) and typically leave it split between .52 and .58 while caching. There were a bunch in North Carolina that were using .58 at the time this came up and it became the channel of choice of a few of us to go there also.

Beyond that, I would say .52 to start (hence the calling freq and we may get someone interested) and then move to whatever is appropriate for your local area. .555 for some and .58, .xx in some others.

just my 2cents.

KB8PXV / Justified

147.555 147.555 147.555

Nah, no thanks. I'll stick to the local repeater or if I can't hit that, .52. Of course if I find someone, there's no problem moving over to a different simplex freq.

Just so you know, I don't think the ranting is having the intended effect. Not with me, anyway.

It didn't start out as a rant... but my intended effect is different to different people.. I'd say its had its intended effect on everyone:) Seems easy to annoy those ham operators who are narrow minded about frequencys... why don't we just forget vfos and put a channel 1 and channel 2 for simplex in the new radios coming out.. channel 1... 52 channel 2 .... 58 ......... and just give up the rest.... I guess this argument is like many others, including dropping the code... the gent that said they use 58 in his area, i think thats great, i really do, because these are the people that would be more likely to agree with other cachers on this site if a freq was chosen to be the official geocache call channel... i'm not trying to start an argument or a fight... just thought it was a fun idea and one that would be beneficial to both communitys... all we have is what we've made, and at this rate what we have is all we'll ever have... would no one else on this forum feel some kind of pride if something official was decided and agreed on, and put on the geocaching.com webpage... and maybe even future bandplans... no wonder theres nothing to do with ham radio on the webpage in the faqs... frs but no ham... we cant agree on anything.. there are alot of people who argue for the use of 52 while caching... i have no problem with people putting out a call on 52 while caching.. but whats the harm of having a official agreed upon caching freq to qsy to after making a contact? tell me that.. whats the harm.. nothing is going to change 52 from being the 2 meter call freq.. not trying to .. I dont know.. guess its not worth the fuss....

It's not that I'm not willing to try new frequencies, but I haven't seen a positive reason for moving from the freq that I already monitor. To make a change from something they already do, people need a reason. I don't think it's a matter of not agreeing on a new frequency, I see more as not proving a need to move.

I have two VFO's to set. One will be at 146.52 while in the woods on principal of forest ettiquette.

Lets have a discussion now on why 147.555 should be the other VFO rather than the 146.58. Is it less used?, are more persons using that for this task? Is .58 too used by other things in areas and we need to move to a clearer channel? etc.

Here's a thought even, taking our radios on a given weekend selecting a channel and just listening for that weekend to see how busy the freq is with use to begin with. Someone early said that emcomm uses .58 in their area often, but without actually listening to see what is used in general sense we may randomly select over someone. This will add to the time that it takes to try to make a decision, and it may end up that both .555 and .58 are not the freq's to choose from.

Edited by Justified

I agree... and don't mean to let my frustrations get the best of me... i would be very happy if any freq was agreed upon and put on the geocaching.com webpage.. 58, 555, 145.550.. would just like to see something official, so there is more chance of geocaching qso's... and more motivation to put your call out there while geocaching... just hate to see an offical, agreed upon frs channel, and not a freq from us...

This thread (at times) sounds like QRZ or eHam or many others. Let's not fight, just come to a gentleman's agreement on a frequency to meet on for GeoCaching. I almost always monitor 146.52 to offer help as needed. I don't have a strong preference, but would vote on 146.58 as a calling freq for GeoCachers since it is in common use in this area.

In any event, let's work together and as friends in this hobby. All the name calling and code/no-code rancor is tiring.

Ham Radio and GeoCaching. Together. What a concept.

Fraternally Yours,

Mike

N4WQH

I get a kick out of this forum. HOW DARE ANYONE SUGGEST SOMETHING NEW in the line of HAM operations!!!

Gee it started out as a simple suggestion and there was even a request for comments.... and of course someone in the group (usually an amerikan) with an extra ticket has to hop in and tell everyone that "That is not the way we do things!"

Well I personnally have had my fill of "the way we used to do things", cuz times .... they are a changing!

I see no reason at all with staying with the way things used to be done. After all, even the extras dont build thier own radios any more and after all that is the way we did things in the past. Tubes and all!

I think that the 555 idea has merit., I am NOT forcing any ham who is out in the woods to use it, but there is a group of us that might actually gain in the enjoyment of the sport at the same time as the comradary of the other hobby.

I have no hassle with the 555 simplex... and since we in Canada can operate cross band repeaters from our mobiles, then I might even suggest that we could even use the suggestion of both UHF and VHF and maybe even tie to an existing UHF repeater... cuz in my area, no one uses even 1% of the great and glorious "BAND PLAN".

Use your radios, be they VHF, UHF, even CB and FRS... I dont care what channel you use, or how often you use them...Just use them, because if you dont, the frequencies will go the way of the 220 in the USA....

USE em or the goverment will take them away from you..... after all, if you think that the amateur bands are untouchble... think again..... 220 should have proven that point......

And since governments now are simply looking for the almighty buck, dont you think they havent looked at auctioning the HAMs vhf, uhf and above bands off for other things. Heck one single VHF Pair in one state would net them 10s of thousands of dollars each year.... and with 4Mhz of bandwidth on the VHF side alone, that equates to a lot of bucks!

See ya all on 147.555

VE6FRM / VE6UBG

I get a kick out of this forum. HOW DARE ANYONE SUGGEST SOMETHING NEW in the line of HAM operations!!!

Gee it started out as a simple suggestion and there was even a request for comments.... and of course someone in the group (usually an amerikan) with an extra ticket has to hop in and tell everyone that "That is not the way we do things!"

Well I personnally have had my fill of "the way we used to do things", cuz times .... they are a changing!

I see no reason at all with staying with the way things used to be done. After all, even the extras dont build thier own radios any more and after all that is the way we did things in the past. Tubes and all!

I think that the 555 idea has merit., I am NOT forcing any ham who is out in the woods to use it, but there is a group of us that might actually gain in the enjoyment of the sport at the same time as the comradary of the other hobby.

I have no hassle with the 555 simplex... and since we in Canada can operate cross band repeaters from our mobiles, then I might even suggest that we could even use the suggestion of both UHF and VHF and maybe even tie to an existing UHF repeater... cuz in my area, no one uses even 1% of the great and glorious "BAND PLAN".

Use your radios, be they VHF, UHF, even CB and FRS... I dont care what channel you use, or how often you use them...Just use them, because if you dont, the frequencies will go the way of the 220 in the USA....

USE em or the goverment will take them away from you..... after all, if you think that the amateur bands are untouchble... think again..... 220 should have proven that point......

And since governments now are simply looking for the almighty buck, dont you think they havent looked at auctioning the HAMs vhf, uhf and above bands off for other things. Heck one single VHF Pair in one state would net them 10s of thousands of dollars each year.... and with 4Mhz of bandwidth on the VHF side alone, that equates to a lot of bucks!

See ya all on 147.555

VE6FRM / VE6UBG

Thanks for the reply... disappointed more folks don't feel the same way... drew82 ki4krg

Instead of a national simplex frequency how about posting it on each cache page? If you are a amatuer radio operator and put out a cache just list the local simplex frequency and/or the repeater frequency. My $.02 worth (mileage may vary). KD1DT

I find it rather amusing. I belong to numerous different online forums and it never ceases to amaze me at the amount of bickering people will do over nothing. What is the big deal if caching hams want to use a designated frequency to chat on when they are out caching. As KitKatt stated, if we don't use what we have, we stand to lose some or all of it. What harm will it cause if we have a frequency listed for the caching hobby. Numerous people have agreed to 147.555. So let this be the one then. Email this site, RAC, or ARRL and see about getting it listed as such. I will use it. For those that are too anal about change, stay where you are. I will lose no sleep over it.

VE6TEQ/VE6RIA

If I had it my way, I would say 446.500. I hate 2M :anitongue:

i agree... It's rare to hear me on 2m except on a repeater, and even then, I prefer to use a 70cm cross-linked repeater if one is available.

most of my simplex chat is on 446.200 with a 67.0 Hz PL tone unless I know that frequency is already in use.

Just thought i'd see if there is one being used or if one could be agreed upon here....147.555 for example???

Yep, we have talked about this before.

It was in 2002, and I started the topic. you guys might want to refer to that topic, too :)

Noel

W8TVI

Picking A Geocaching frequency would be great. I would save a lot of us from having to purchas other equiptment. Please accept my vote for 52 the natl calling frequency! Keep on cacheing and useing 2 meters!!

Weedweasel N3ZKW Rincon Ga.

147.555 works for me.

I agree, we either use it or lose it.

I've had a license since 1976. Been very active in MARS, ARES/RACES, been membership chairman in some clubs, treasurer, VP, and president of other clubs.

I can tell you that the 'pointless bickering' crowd is what always pushes me away from amateur radio for brief periods. Then I wind up coming back for the basic premise of radio operating and technical intrigue.

We need to show that we are using our frequencies so much that no one could possibly even think about limiting our spectrum.

I've always used alternate frequencies for simplex on 2M with friends and family.

Why start off on 146.52 and then shift to another frequency when we can just start there?

And yes, I monitor 146.52 when I am out for general calls and emergencies.

Amazingly, my radio works on more than one frequency. :P

Jerry

N4RNJ

147.555 is the one I'll vote for.

I agree on being sick and tired of the "way it has always been done" argument. :laughing::yikes:

All hams need to broaden our horizons a bit try and something new. :yikes:

BTW, my radios have more than one frequency as well, and guess what?

I can even scan multiple frequencies!!! :anicute:

Dang. Another crystal to get cut. And it will take up the fourth and final channel slot on my only VHF radio. :laughing:

'73!

Wayne

VE3THN

Just kidding! (The final output tube is toast in my old GE anyhow. ) hehehe

147.555 is fine by me (again).

Wayne

VE3THN

Just kidding! (The final output tube is toast in my old GE anyhow. ) hehehe

147.555 is fine by me (again).

Wayne

VE3THN

Well, around Ottawa, if you chat on 147.555 I guarantee it won't be long before some rules-nazi complains that you're not operating according to the bandplan. And I'd bet that the same thing will happen elsewhere once word gets around because Canada's rules afficiondos can't hold a candle to the US ones.

I know this, because it's happened to me in the past - I used 147.555 for a bunny hunt and people whined, for example. I know 147.555 IS in the bandplan for FM simplex in some places, but it's not everywhere.

Granted, it's only whining, but surely there must be a frequency that works according to bandplans pretty much everywhere? I'd suggest 147.570, which, I believe, should not annoy anyone.

I use, among others, a Kenwood Dual-band TH-D7 HT, TMD-700 Dual-band Mobile and a TS-2000x All-band Base; one VFO on each is always tuned to 146.52... when I operate monoband or HF, as I do on my Icom IC-746, I keep a seperate radio on .52. Not much traffic, but occasionally someone needs a call answered. When they do, they know where to tune, no matter where they are... .52!

While traveling to/from geocaching events (that's most of my travel) I am often called by other hams whenever they see my call sign tag and/or antennas, and by geocaching hams who see the geocaching logos on my truck.

The common theme is that all another ham has to see is another ham's 2-meter antenna going down the road to know that a call on .52 will likely raise them.

Why mess with that?

Call on .52, if no answer call on .55, if no answer call on .58? No thanks!

Keep one VFO scanning all the time? No thanks!

A LOT of work goes into national band plans, and all of it takes .52 into consideration as the 2-meter simplex CALLING frequency.

Once you establish contact, move off to any appropriate frequency you want.

If you want geocachers to agree to move to .55 or wherever for geo-chat, cool, but there's no reason to try to make it a calling frequency.

It's not that we're set in our ways and resistant to change so much as "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

This is the problem with standards... everyone wants their own!

73 de W4AGA

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should have bought the TH-F6A HT instead of the VX-6R. I could scan the simplex frequencies while scannering all the repeaters along a specific route. Bummer. Well, it gives me an excuse to buy a mobile.