So few in Scotland

Newbie to Geocaching, but I've already noticed that there's a lot less caches in Scotland than anywhere else.

Given the amount of climbing, mountaineering and walking that goes on up here I would have expected a lot lot more.

I'm a climber myself and thats how I discovered geocaching but I'm surprised how relatively few we have up here.

There's hardly any in Glasgow and surrounding areas and even the Trossachs with Loch Lomond on our doorstep only has a dozen or so.

LOL. :)

I knew someone would say that but I also want the excitement of finding the little blighters too.

Funnily enough went out for a plod up Ben Lomond yesterday and my sandwiches nearly had to sacrifice themselves for the tupperware box but the Ben was too busy at the time to hide anything.

Newbie to Geocaching, but I've already noticed that there's a lot less caches in Scotland than anywhere else.

Given the amount of climbing, mountaineering and walking that goes on up here I would have expected a lot lot more.

I'm a climber myself and thats how I discovered geocaching but I'm surprised how relatively few we have up here.

There's hardly any in Glasgow and surrounding areas and even the Trossachs with Loch Lomond on our doorstep only has a dozen or so.

Shouldn't come as too big a surprise, Wibblemonster, the number of caches are to a degree proportional to the number of cachers and their location ..... in that for maintenance purposes there is a limit to how far from your home co-ords you can place a cache.

In rough numbers there are more caches in Scotland / head of population than the rest of the UK ....

UK pop.60 million..... 9% Scots.....

UK caches 20,000 Scottish caches approx 2500 approx 12.5 %

The hot spots tend to reflect the number of active cachers in the area ....using the simple search a cache tool, within 25 miles of the major cities gives....

Edinburgh 560 ; Perth 413 ; Glasgow 315 ; Aberdeen 347 ; Inverness 167.

A few other hot spots are Arran and Bute with 1 cacher each ... and Cowal has 50 caches with 3 cachers.

(edit sp.)

Edited by Flyfishermanbob

We've been trying to place caches in the Trossachs, but both ourselves and another local team have had permission refused by the landowners.

There are loads of caches out there, not all of them up hills, mountains, long walks. There were lots placed around Loch Lomond for the recent event and we could recommend a couple of others out that way if you want a good walk.

Wish you had sacrificed that piece box on Ben Lomond, we going up with some caching friends soon, would have given us one to find. Guess we'll just have to place one instead.

There has been some fabulous caches all around loch ness.

Off down to tarbet for diving in loch fyne in a few weeks and already got 20 planned for the local area from oban.

Dec 05 spent a week walking round the north scottish coast with more caches than i could shake a stick at. Moray Firth numbers are rising and rising.

Are there enough north scots members to consider hosting an event??

Planning to spent a few days around the black isle and then next month just north of fife as a fair few have sprung up there too.

Are there enough north scots members to consider hosting an event??

Only one way to find out!

Host an event!

:lol:

We did, in fact, have a very successful 3rd annual cache bash up at Talmine in 2005. You can see some good photos here. Wherever an event is, you'll find that cachers will travel. Indeed, we had a contingent from Cornwall for that event!

Edited by Firth of Forth

Actually, some of the best locations are up there in Scotland. I was up the Cairngorms in Aug 05 and managed to bag a few caches round there.

My personal favourite cache was Mollie Walk (GCC24E), the easiest of finds at the end of stiff climb with a glorious view that has now been shared by a total of 33 others. Not one that attracts the numbers crowd but certainly a rewarding caching experience.