Forming new organization

Robespierre

I finally have some interested cachers locally, even a little gung-ho (caching has a way of doing that to us, doesn't it?) I'm interested in things that you did that you had to correct when forming, and things that went very well. I'm also interested in Groundspeak policy problems.

Scenario: If we want to find an Outdoors Outfitter for a sponsor, and advertise for them and push their products in exchange for some financing? If we agree to teach class for them now and then on geocaching, etc. in exchange for financing? What is best in seeking sponsors? What will Groundspeak frown on?

Also: I'm thinking "steering committee" rather than officers. etc. Your thoughts.

Robespierre, NorthCentralOhio Geocachers

I'm pretty sure Groundspeak could care less what your club does, the only things they don't want is events of a commercial nature. You can't promote their products on your event pages, etc. You couldn't hold an offical event just to get people in their store. You can probaly list them as a "sponsor" of the event but nothing more.

...Also: I'm thinking "steering committee" rather than officers. etc. Your thoughts...

Start small and grow.

A steering committee has to have something to steer and usually report to officers. Meanwhile officers may or may not be busy, have full time jobs with the organization and the like.

If you want to formally organize capture your intent in the organizational papers.

Terracachers.org has some drafts in the forums you can look at. Our goals won't be exactly the same as yours but there will be some overlap. We don't have enough people or $ to organize yet so that's where things remain.

Lastly, be a geocaching organization. That means caching in all it's variations, listing sites, finders, and everthing. If you are organizing you are responsible to your own area, and your own memebers.

The less rules the better.

I agree with SixDogTeam. NEI-GEO has one rule: We are an organization. We have no offices, no steering committee, no minimum requirements, no geographical requirements, etc. Basically, if you want to be a member of NEI-GEO, congrats, you're a member. We meet once a month and we hope to see you there!

I agree with SixDogTeam. NEI-GEO has one rule: We are an organization. We have no offices, no steering committee, no minimum requirements, no geographical requirements, etc. Basically, if you want to be a member of NEI-GEO, congrats, you're a member. We meet once a month and we hope to see you there!

Can I be a member?

That's our point. No restrictions, no guidelines, no one to to say what should or shouldn't be. We need this organization to be welcoming for others in and out of the area of North Central Ohio.

WHAT I WANT IS WHAT I WANT!! Just kidding <_<

Seriously, I (being I thought it would be a good idea to get this started) want everyone to feel welcome, have fun, and get smilies!

Start simple. Let it grow as it will, nature WILL take its course. That is what I intended when starting this with Robespierre, ShawnWoerlin, etc....

My $.02

Peace, Love, & Happy Caching,

Peacetrain

"It's no matter the distance, it's the ride" Steven Stills

Edited by peacetrain

IMO, dont go full blown, non profit or anything like that-In my state, doing that requires you send the state of list of your members first, last names (and addresses I think)

Alot of people dont want to be so formally involved, especially when it involves registering with the state simply to belong to a geocaching org.

Less rules the better!!!

Our group has no officers or formal organization. We just get together once in awhile to eat and talk caching. We have had a TB race, but that's about as organized as we get. We're pretty happy with it that way. Oh, we are the Scioto Watershed Area Geocachers in south central Ohio.

Your $.02 are worth more than mine Peace :D My .02 are still learning :D

We are in same boat....no pun intended! We learn as we go, right? Geocacher walk to the walk and talk the talk no matter how long you've been at it. It's a GOOD thing!

As always,

Peace, Love, & Hppy Caching

Peacetrain AKA Jenn ;)

Can I be a member?

Sure Mr. Geocacher-U (Bret). You are welcome anytime. Come and visit us! You seem to know the tricks to the trade. We all could learn somthing. :D

Peacetrain

You don't wanna do that Jenn. Trust me, you don't want to.

12926d5d-cf6c-49e2-9dde-ca087c97f739.jpg

Edited by The Herd

I just don't know what I've done to deserve any of this treatment. I mean, I'm a quiet guy, I keep to myself...I try not to bother other people.

You'd think I could expect to be treated by others the same way. That's the golden rule, right?

:D

I hope you or anypne else is not offended by me, I agree it is the golden rule. What you are saying is exactly what geocaching means to me and should to others, I hope. My point for wanted to start NCOG, is to share that "vibe" with others and hope that is passes on.

Peace, Love, & Happy Caching

Jenn

:D

Edited by peacetrain

After some looking around and chatting, I know this now. Thanks for the reasurance though, I feel much better. Continue on........ you just never know in the WIDE world of geocaching. Just being the peacemaker, as always.

You guys fooled me! That's all good!

Peace, Love, & Happy Caching,

Jenn