Hiking Sneakers

auggies

For caching and light hiking, I prefer any one of my three pair of Merrells (Chameleon II Stretch Gore-Tex®, Chameleon (the older style) or Caper). They don't need breaking in, are super-comfy right out of the box, and have a female-specific foot bed (Q-Form) in their women's styles. The Gore-Tex® pair are supreme for early morning and after-the-rain walks in the field. The ones pictured are discontinued but are available at the REI Outlet (there's also a non-Gore-Tex® version on sale. For me, nothing compares to Merrell for this type of shoe. I have Asolos for more rigorous hiking and backpacking.

1115223.jpg

For most hiking I use my leather hiking boots. For suburban parks I use Salomon trail runners. One of my favorite features is that they don't have traditional laces. Instead there is a cable system. I can just slip into them

for visits to the store or mall, and if I need to hit the trail with them, I pull them tight and secure them with the little doohicky on the end. No more untied laces!

XAEBM.jpg

But don't go my my recommendation, or anybody else's. What is heaven on one person's feet can be hell on yours. Make sure they fit YOUR feet, and make sure your shoes give you enough support.

Also you will want a Gore Tex liner so your feet don't get soaked every time you walk through wet grass.

Edited by briansnat
I'm looking to purchase a pair of hiking sneakers (female) for spring, summer and fall use. Any recommendations?

You asked about women's sneakers, which I cannot directly answer, but I will assume that models I talk about have equivalents among the women's models.

For very light hiking, I wear sandals. Currently I use Teva Sampago. They are decent enough looking so I can use them every day, not just for hiking, and they have vibram sole, so they wear well on light trails. However, the sole is fairly thin, so they are definitely not suitable for rocky or articulated trails. For hiking like that, or for anything longer than 2-3 hours, I prefer traditional, single-piece leather boots.

In the past I've also used Merrell sandals. They have many different kinds, and I have always had great luck with that brand.

If I am hiking on established trails, I wear my Chaco sandals. They are very comfortable and I've covered many miles in them. After a five-mile hike the other day, I was ready for a pedicure.

d54ee5fe-6ec5-4078-b38b-a245a7d0388a.jpg

:(

I have those shoes... er, that same strap and pattern on my Chaco's. Guess the only potential difference is the sole. I prefer the current unaweep, and previously, the Colorado. I have some with the heavier, luggy Terreno sole, too, but I've found the shoes to be less comfortable for me. I :lol: them! I've tried to wear the non-toe 'ringed' Chaco's and they're ok... Good for the grocery store, but not so much on the trail.

I bet you have nice tan lines... on your feet.

I've found that in the cases of things like ticks and other creepy crawlies that may potentially bother me while out and abouting, that I MUCH prefer to wear sandals and shorts over a full shoe with socks and long pants.

The only pi**y thing I've run into, aside from ticks galore and cottonmouths, is razor grass. In shorts and sandals it's pretty brutal stuff.

michelle

Proper footwear depends on where you are hiking. For paved or clear trails, go with a sneaker type, lots of padding or cushion any time you are on hard surface.

For woods or off trail, go with a leather hiking boot. Protects better against twists and sprains, and most snakebites occur to the leg from just a few inches above the ankle down. Many of the remainder of snakebites occur to the hands and arms, but that is for a walking stick thread.

Female here....

I used to be a North Face shoe snob (lol). My mom was always bragging about her Merells. I have 4 different pairs of Merell hiking shoes/boots and 2 pairs of Merrell sandals and you'd be hard pressed to get me to try anything else.

My arches and feet no longer get sore. I also like good ankle support. From hiking all over Montana to trekking all over Belize, my Merrells held up awesome and so did/do my feet.

I also throw in a pair of liners if I know I'm going to be hiking for more than a couple hours. I'll swear by mine. Of course this is just my opinion <_<

tsun :blink:

If I am hiking on established trails, I wear my Chaco sandals. They are very comfortable and I've covered many miles in them. After a five-mile hike the other day, I was ready for a pedicure.

d54ee5fe-6ec5-4078-b38b-a245a7d0388a.jpg

<_<

I have the exact same strap design too, but my feet are purtier. I wear 'em for everything on trail as well, unless it's a rocky trail, the sole just isn't stiff enough.

For everything else, I wear my Asolos (I think they're the foliage design). I confess that the bright green color was a factor in the decision to buy them.

I am desperately in need of new light weight hiking footwear as I am in the process of losing both my big toe nails from doing an elevation change summer hike in sneakers- I guess my feet swelled and caused too much pressure when going down hill. Yuck- it's been a mess.

Willing to spend money. Want to make sure I get a good fit (also have some other foot issues so need good support).

But where/how to get a good fitting? I know a great shoe store, but hiking is not really their area of expertise- they fit me for a great pair of walking shoes (Merrell's)- but don't have any selection of hiking shoes.

Would really like an expert fitting- I spend a lot of time outdoors in constant movement.

I'm in a smaller city- but Portland, OR is about an hour away and has pretty much any reputable chain.

Thanks.

I am desperately in need of new light weight hiking footwear as I am in the process of losing both my big toe nails from doing an elevation change summer hike in sneakers- I guess my feet swelled and caused too much pressure when going down hill. Yuck- it's been a mess.

Willing to spend money. Want to make sure I get a good fit (also have some other foot issues so need good support).

But where/how to get a good fitting? I know a great shoe store, but hiking is not really their area of expertise- they fit me for a great pair of walking shoes (Merrell's)- but don't have any selection of hiking shoes.

Would really like an expert fitting- I spend a lot of time outdoors in constant movement.

I'm in a smaller city- but Portland, OR is about an hour away and has pretty much any reputable chain.

Thanks.

I've had hit and miss luck with the folks at REI - some are quite knowledgeable and some, well they're trying, but don't know too much. You might also try the Walking Company, or even some of the smaller hiking mountaineering shops (i.e. not a chain). Sorry I can't help you out with specifics - haven't been hiking shopping in Portland.

Good Luck!

I only wear Salomon as they fit me best. But I have something to add about Merrell. I bought all of my kids a good pair of Merrells for this year's hiking adventures. They were all the exact same shoe, but the boy's were brown and my daughter's were a baby blue. We went on our first hike of the season in them and the blue one wouldn't stay velcroed. It turns out one of the pieces of the velcro was put on backwards on each shoe causing the loops not to catch and stick. I called Merrell because we live over 2 hours away from where we purchased them (we live in a tiny town) and we were told they would send out a new pair. Never got the things despite repeated calls, and the customer service was REALLY rude. It wasn't cost effective to drive back to where we got them, so we just ended up having to buy here a pair of tennis shoes for this year. After that, I won't buy another Merrell product. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks.

Danner boots are made in Portland.

I'm not sure what they have in hiking boots. I personally don't like their work boots but many guys I work with love them.

They used to sell boots with blemishes at about 10% off at their factory.

For caching and light hiking, I prefer any one of my three pair of Merrells (Chameleon II Stretch Gore-Tex®, Chameleon (the older style) or Caper). They don't need breaking in, are super-comfy right out of the box, and have a female-specific foot bed (Q-Form) in their women's styles. The Gore-Tex® pair are supreme for early morning and after-the-rain walks in the field. The ones pictured are discontinued but are available at the REI Outlet (there's also a non-Gore-Tex® version on sale. For me, nothing compares to Merrell for this type of shoe. I have Asolos for more rigorous hiking and backpacking.

1115223.jpg

I'll second this suggestion. I have these in the non-gore-tex version, but after a recent trip to Washington's Westside, I wish I did. These are great for Idaho, but I'm sure this spring I'll be wishing I had the gore-tex version. These are so comfortable, I'll be getting another pair. Can't go wrong with Merrell!

Both Mark and Lynn wear Miendl Borneo Pro boots.

Id just make sure you get a good anti vibration sole and a secure good fit a good shop fitter is worth pages of advice on boots and such like we have found.

Meindl Lady Burma Pro MFS - 17% OFF

Great 3 season performance boot from the German boot manufacturers Meindl offering a wider, higher volume fit and Gore-Tex® lining. Ideal 3 season boot for British use, the complete rand makes it a particulary good choice for rocky ground and mild scrambles.The Memory Foam System moulds to your ankle shape for increased comfort.

One-piece waxed nubuck leather upper

DiGAfix lacing gives a secure and comfortable

Upper: 2.5mm Nubuk Leather

Lining: Gore-Tex

Sole: Vibram

I don't know a lot about different brands of hiking boots... I'm a runner and mtn. biker... not generally a "hiker". However, my husband and I are about to depart on a 2 1/2 week long mission trip to Madagascar where we will be hiking/backpacking into remote tribal villages, so we found ourselves in need of some good hiking boots. We went to the somewhat local outdoor store and tried on several pair and brands, Merril (I think that is what it was) is the only brand that I can remember specifically. However, none of them really felt quite right. So we did some more research and reading of reviews and settled on Asolo's. We each got a pair and we both LOVE them. They were comfy right out of the box and we haven't had a blister yet. The holes and hooks are metal, not plastic so you don't have to worry about them breaking and they are definitely water resistant w/ gore-tex and very light weight. The soles and tread are great too. They aren't cheap, but I think they will last a long time and if our feet feel good on the type of stuff we will be doing on our trip.. it is worth it. We got them from Zappos.com and they give you free overnight shipping (both ways), so we had them LESS THAN 24 hours after we ordered them. Hope this helps! B)

1115223.jpg

I'll second this suggestion. I have these in the non-gore-tex version, but after a recent trip to Washington's Westside, I wish I did. These are great for Idaho, but I'm sure this spring I'll be wishing I had the gore-tex version. These are so comfortable, I'll be getting another pair. Can't go wrong with Merrell!

I agree - I'm on my 4th pair of them this year. You don't need to break them in either - just put em on and go!

Danner boots are made in Portland.

I'm not sure what they have in hiking boots. I personally don't like their work boots but many guys I work with love them.

They used to sell boots with blemishes at about 10% off at their factory.

Well, Danner is in Portland. It seems as though most of their boots are now made overseas. Only the top end ones are still made in Portland.