Fees for using the GPS when caching?

Keith Arnold

Nope! It doesn't work like a cell phone, where you pay to access a network. The satellite signals are out there floating around and your GPS will just capture them to give you the information you need. It's like regular radio or tv signals-- they are out there for anyone to use who has the proper equipment.

Some people are under the impression that it's like satellite radio where you have to pay a subscription fee. I had a guy at work here this morning ask if you needed a subscription for a GPSr. He was surprised to find out you didn't need anything of the sort. Just buy the unit and turn it on and you're in business.

Of all crazy things to think about a charge for using your GPSrs

:)

Its not often that we get things for free. I applaud someone for asking before diving in. Now a future cacher may think twice about caching if they know there are people that make a comment like you just did.

What other electronics similar to a GPS is free?

Of all crazy things to think about

It's a good question.

I'm almost positive that one of the manufacturers lists "never a subscription fee" on the box as one of the features of their product. This could plant doubt in the shopper's mind about other manufacturers. Maybe all that talk about how all you need is a GPS unit is just weasel words, a prospective buyer might think.

Knowing that most car GPSs have an annual fee I wasn't sure. So thank you to all of you that helped.

Really? Car GPSs have fees? I've never heard of that. I have a factory installed GPS in my Prius that has no fees. I suppose someone might charge for map updates? Or are you thinking about OnStar?

Edited by Snake & Rooster
Knowing that most car GPSs have an annual fee I wasn't sure. So thank you to all of you that helped.

Really? Car GPSs have fees? I've never heard of that. I have a factory installed GPS in my Prius that has no fees. I suppose someone might charge for map updates? Or are you thinking about OnStar?

Real time traffic condition updates. :)

Real time traffic condition updates. :)

Ah, yes. But I'm too cheap to get that.

My hubby, who is finally getting around to accept geocaching was asking me the other day about access fees for the sattelite signal.

So far I haven't seen any information about access fees of any kind. I have seen posts about folks that got the gps and started caching with it right out of the box.

But then the question remains....who pays for the access fees for the signal lock?

Does Garmin include those in the GPSr price?

Just curious....

FayeC

Real time traffic condition updates. :D

Mayby it was the Onstar thing I had heard had fees.

Real time traffic condition updates. :D

Mayby it was the Onstar thing I had heard had fees.

Onstar has fees. It's not the same thing as a GPS.

My Nextel cellphone has Geocache Navigator. Wherever I have a good cell signal, I can sign on and find the nearest 10 caches within 2 mi. It costs me $6.99/mo for Trimble and $10.00/mo for unlimited data service to Sprint/Nextel.

The Onstar fee is to pay the operators and cellphone fees. How do they unlock your car and not a dozen others when you can't push the button when you lock your keys in the car? :lol: