Remember when they had meaning.

Cav Scout

Remember not long ago when there was geocoins that had meaning and where designed by geocachers who spent more time geocaching than collecting geocoins?

Remember when ever you saw a Moun10bike (ver 1 or 2) coin post and you would call in sick to work or skip a soccer game with your kids to find the coin, even if it meant a eight mile round trip hike up into the mountains?

Remember when there was only 20 or 30 geocoins in circulation and all from actual geocachers and not someone with 20 to 30 finds?

What do you remember?

Be nice now.

Since Im newer to geocoins - but still have memories, Ill jump in.

I started in Letterboxing, and honestly wasn't sure if I liked caching. Im an artist, and I loved the chance to be artistic when I did Letterboxing - I carved my stamps, designed my logbooks and hitchhikers. In other words, I was allowed to be as creative as I wanted, and peoples logs when they found my boxes reflected that they enjoyed the time I put into my boxes.

In Caching, I had NO way to be creative... or so I thought. Then, I saw my first Geocoin, then, a few more. I then saw a way to be creative in caching - I could get involved in collecting coins! Then, shortly after that, I was allowed the opportunity to design my first coins - which is how I ended up doing what I do now!

I dont think lamenting over the rarity of coins in general is a good thing - I still think there are not ENOUGH coins in caches for cachers to find and move - and I think every coin made adds to the wild population - even if its just a little bit.

I also enjoy the feedback at events, and from people I know who collect coins.

The BEST part though - is the friends I have made through coins. So - no sad memories, and, at least from my point of view - I like the way it is.

I understand some of the first people 'in' coins are displeased with the 'direction' they have headed - but IMO, if it puts more coins in caches, it cant be a bad thing. I enjoy ANY coin, personal, commercial as long as its designed well, and if I like it, I buy it. If I dont...well.. I dont.

Don't panic!!!! Only talking about the past and not the present.

The new coins are just fine :laughing: .

:anitongue:

Geocoins still have meaning. Everyone likes different ones, and as such they collect what they like.

Everything looks fine to me...the hobby has just evolved.

I've collected coins in the past month that had meaning for me - I get coins from places I've been, cachers I've met or things that are symbolic to me of my caching experience.

I've also been involved in the design of coins that are reminders of wonderful experiences and times with my friends, with unselfish folk working actively to make caching a family sport.

Gee, tho' ... maybe I've been missing out. Send me one of your Ravens <PLEASE!! > so I can share the experience with you and then I'll report back to you :anitongue: <Kidding...sorta..your Raven is on my "I lust for" list, but I can't afford it. Sigh. That's what dreams are for.>

Afford a Raven coin :anitongue: ? I have never sold omy coins or ever will sell them, but I do leave them in caches for others to find.

Gee, tho' ... maybe I've been missing out. Send me one of your Ravens <PLEASE!! > so I can share the experience with you and then I'll report back to you :laughing: <Kidding...sorta..your Raven is on my "I lust for" list, but I can't afford it. Sigh. That's what dreams are for.>

This is a good thread though - maybe its important that the old timers and us new people both understand that we all love the coins for different reasons.

To me, its a way to let me share. I LOVE designing them, and I like to think of creative things to do with caching, and sometimes - non caching related coins. (GASP!)

But.. either way - people seem to enjoy them. Im sure people remember fondly when the hobby was new - but to some of us - it still is new. :anitongue:

Afford a Raven coin :anitongue: ? I have never sold my coins or ever will sell them, but I do leave them in caches for others to find.

Gee, tho' ... maybe I've been missing out. Send me one of your Ravens <PLEASE!! > so I can share the experience with you and then I'll report back to you :laughing: <Kidding...sorta..your Raven is on my "I lust for" list, but I can't afford it. Sigh. That's what dreams are for.>

Seems like I've seen at least one on ebay. It went for big bucks. <shrug> Some coins you just never will get.

:lol:

It's a great coin and has meaning for me - first, you ... I've not met you in person, but I read your posts with interest. Second, my contact with ravens has always come in happy times: out in the woods, out hiking, our caching...yup, it's a beauty and I will someday get one. I BELIEVE!!!

Geocoin collecting has definitely changed. There used to be one or two coin companies, now there is a new coin company popping up frequently and spewing out coins left and right. Coin "companies" sell their product on ebay instead of selling them to the public on the forums or list the coin as sold out and sell them on ebay. The ethics of geocoin collecting has had to be implemented to keep checks and balances on companies and collectors. It was actually nice the past two days when artists took their time to produce quality and good looking coins that everyone wanted and that sold out quickly, however, instead of saying thank you we whine, complain and demand something better.

There will never be enough coins for caches. People steal the coins from caches, people collect them and don't release them (not criticizing them) and even though there are more geocoins being minted I don't see a lot of them in public.

Geocoin collecting has also allowed me to make more friends, travel more and has given me a wider selection of coins to collect. So I have to take the good with the bad. :anitongue:

Yes its true some of my coins end up on E***, mostly from other folks though. I have listed a few raven geocoins and that money never touched my hands but instead went directly to a worthy charity (handled by E***). Only once have I collected the money for one of my personal coins and gave the money to the family myself.

I never want to profit from my work, mostly because I don't need the money and live within my means. I enjoy watching others find my coins in caches. I have been known to just simply give them away.

Speaking of giving coins away, I do remember when that happended often :anitongue::laughing::lol: .

Remember not long ago when there was geocoins that had meaning and where designed by geocachers who spent more time geocaching than collecting geocoins?

Remember when ever you saw a Moun10bike (ver 1 or 2) coin post and you would call in sick to work or skip a soccer game with your kids to find the coin, even if it meant a eight mile round trip hike up into the mountains?

Remember when there was only 20 or 30 geocoins in circulation and all from actual geocachers and not someone with 20 to 30 finds?

What do you remember?

Be nice now.

I assume you mean a coin that meant something to the larger community. Back then there were fewer coins so that's all there were to mean something. knowwhatImean?

If chickens were a rare animal we'd be paying bigs bucks at some restaurant for a taste of the delicacy. Instead we deep fat fry the parts and stick them in Kids Meals. Either way it wasn't the chicken that changed.

Speaking of giving coins away, I do remember when that happened often :laughing::lol::anitongue: .

I did this again just the other night. I think I gave away 3 coins to individuals, as well as donating 4 or 5 as raffle prizes for an event being put on by my local caching organization. In fact, now that I think of it, I believe I have given them coins for prizes for every one of the events I have attended.

I think I spent over an hour talking to a few people about coins and what each one meant to each of us. It was this discussion that prompted me to give away 2 of the coins I had that night.

I remember. I remember when there was only one to be found within 20 miles. I remember climbing a mountain to find it. I also remember them being so rare that they were stolen frequently and seldom enjoyed by many. I remember not breaking my routine to visit some amazing new places because a new icon wasn't popping up that caught my attention. I remember feeling like an outsider just asking questions about them. I remember they weren't always so wildly and beautifully diverse.

Things are different now. I see them traveling with frequency. I see them popping up in new places I hadn't thought to visit until I got around to those caches. I'm often taken way off my normal route to see a coin I've never seen before. I'd eventually have gotten to that cache, but now I get two great new things to find and enjoy at the same time. I even have my own now. I frequently leave them behind, trade them with new friends and contribute them to fundraisers. A LOT of other people do, too. Things have changed, but I don't think it's all for the worse. :anitongue:

Someone's gotta ask. How many caches does it take to become an actual geocacher? Do I need to ask Mr. Owl? :anitongue:

Some would consider me as "not an actual geocacher" because about half of my finds are "urban micros" (well some of them are actually smalls). I live in a heavily populated area and there are some well placed urban micro's out there. There are some bad ones too, but there are also some bad hides in the woods as well. I have spoken with some who don't consider me to be an "actual geocacher" just because I have only been caching for just over a year, and I am "spoiled" with the newer technology which allows me to do things more easily (like load waypoints into my GPSr from my computer, or have a full cache description with previous logs with me in the field in my PDA, or use a newer GPSr which doesn't lose signal lock under tree cover, or ...). Face it, I'm not an "actual cacher" because I'm not just like they are, I'm me, out having fun doing things with my wife, meeting new friends, and enjoying myself.

Speaking of giving coins away, I do remember when that happended often :D:lol::anitongue: .

I don't have any of my own geocoins yet. I've preordered my first, but I don't know how long that will take.

I saw a beautiful coin here that I just fell in love with a few days ago and I contacted the owner. At first they wanted to trade for one, but then I told them I just didn't have :o anything to trade, honestly, but that I really loved the coin and offered to buy one.

The person is mailing me one out of the kindness of their heart. It really made me feel good! It was such a generous and nice gesture.

I was really touched and I can't wait to get it in the mail. It will be a very special, treasured piece for me!

So... I guess what I'm saying is that there are still people out there who are doing coins for the coin thing and not the profit or fame thing, and for that I'm grateful!

Hopefully I'll be slowly adding coins and building up so that I can start participating in trades, but I am unemployed and we live a family of 4 on Mr Mousekakat's less than stellar (but adequate, somehow) pay and a lot of faith every month. I will work my way up, though, and I'll do it with respect to the coins and the sport and try to pass on the same kindness that was given to me :laughing:

“Do you remember when you saw a Moun10Bike coin in a cache?’

Nope – I never saw a geocoin (trackable or untrackable) in a cache until they started to increase in popularity.

I also remember when geocoins sold out as fast as Sketti’s – and I don’t long for those days either.

I remember going out of my way on vacation because there was a coin listed in a cache – that turned out to be stolen (as was every other TB that moved through that cache).

I also remember when people were so afraid of having their TB stolen that they released lame (to me) copies of their geocoins into the wild. I’m happy to report that I’ve found quite a few geocoins in the last six months and haven’t come across a fake among them.

I remember when caches were relatively few and far between and were generally all worth hunting (and that was only three years ago). And, while I’m not generally excited about P&G micros – they are a nice diversion and they are appreciated when I am on business trips. I’d rather be ouside hunting a “lame” micro than inside watching TV when on the road. Besides, some micros are pretty cool.

Today, I regularly enjoy finding geocoins in caches and watching mine move from cache to cache. They have become mainstream enough that they don’t disappear that often.

I also enjoy the beauty of many geocoins and don’t really care if the designer has 10 or 1000 finds. To me, a geocoin’s quality is based on its appearance, not the number of its designer’s finds.

I really appreciate the relative ease in obtaining new geocoins. Their availability and cost is such that it is easy to hold onto some and to RELEASE MANY.

Perhaps they are more common in caches and it isn’t quite as big a deal to find one as it was two or three (or more) years ago. But, I am still thrilled every time I come across one and can help it on its mission.

Oh, and as for meaning – relatively few of the early coins had anything to do with caching either. They were expressions / extensions of the designer’s personality. I think the same is still true today with the addition that, for commercial coins, they are extensions of the buyer’s / releaser’s personality too.

What do you remember?

Be nice now.

I would still do an overnighter on a mountain top for a Moun10Bike V.1 or v.2........Maybe some day, I'll get a chance. :anitongue:

I would still do an overnighter on a mountain top for a Moun10Bike V.1 or v.2........Maybe some day, I'll get a chance. :anitongue:

Same here. A while back someone was visiting locally and stated they had one that everyone could log if they met him at some parking lot. A bunch of us said no thanks we'd rather find one by making the effort required to log it.

The guy was offended (or at least he wanted to be)

Someone's gotta ask. How many caches does it take to become an actual geocacher? Do I need to ask Mr. Owl? :anitongue:

Some would consider me as "not an actual geocacher" because about half of my finds are "urban micros" (well some of them are actually smalls). I live in a heavily populated area and there are some well placed urban micro's out there. There are some bad ones too, but there are also some bad hides in the woods as well. I have spoken with some who don't consider me to be an "actual geocacher" just because I have only been caching for just over a year, and I am "spoiled" with the newer technology which allows me to do things more easily (like load waypoints into my GPSr from my computer, or have a full cache description with previous logs with me in the field in my PDA, or use a newer GPSr which doesn't lose signal lock under tree cover, or ...). Face it, I'm not an "actual cacher" because I'm not just like they are, I'm me, out having fun doing things with my wife, meeting new friends, and enjoying myself.

I think his point was that some new cachers find out about geocions and see them as a way to make some quick money and they're really not into the game of geocaching at all.

What's the difference between geocoins and geocaching?

I remember when caching meant a hike up a new trail, a new neck in the woods to discover or even a location with a view to behold. In short locations I'd not find out about so quickly. Caching was not mainstream. There were few caches, fewer cachers so it was furtive, sly and wonderfully different. Now there are caches everywhere! There's people hiding more caches than they've found. There are hoardes of new cachers who put out a few caches then disappear leaving the maintenance of those orphans to the locals players.

Yes there is a distinction between quantity and quality. The quantity of coins has risen in step with the popularity of caches and cachers. That is both good and bad. If you want cheap entertainment it's awesome. If you want challenge and diversity in your entertainment you have to sift through a lot of chaff. Same with coins... and just about anything else when you think about it.

I prefer the outdoor woodsy type of caching myself (I'd much rather hike ten miles for 1 cache than fight rush hour traffic for 20 "quickies"), but I've got to say that I have also found some very creative, well hidden, and very interesting urban micros (even urban regulars) as well. When I travel, I use geocaching like a AAA travel guide. I have found a lot of fantastic urban (and non-urban) places to visit ... and most are not even mentioned in travel guides. :anitongue:

As far as the geocoin question goes ... I have mixed feelings. The first trackables I remember were the Canadian Geocoins (trackable on it's own website) and the USA Geocoins (the first trackable on GC.com). Personal and Group themed coins soon followed: some were non-trackable, some where trackable on individual websites and some were trackable on GC.com.

I like coins with meaning too, but I wouldn't go so far as to limit geocoins, or their themes in any way. Variety is the spice of life and any message is valid. I'm certainly not thrilled by coins being produced explicitly for profit, but then again, no one has to buy them. You be the judge; buy what you like and sooner or later, that profiteer is going to mint 500 coins that no one buys. :laughing:

Wish I was arround back then to relate, but as of now all I can do is think of how it was back then. I doubt id see many coins where Im at...But I do now!

Ill bet it was quite different as far as the thrill of finding one and the fun in collecting what was out there. That level is still there in some aspects in the Mystery coins, sold out in 60 seconds coins and the ones you find as keepers.

But have you seen the trading tables??? We have great fun with these shiny things now too! This community is bigger than ever and in some aspects its not about the coins, but the friends you make in the process...I like how it is, but granted it is a little swamped with all kinds of new coins that dont really mean a hoot to me.

I can also see your point with the Coins over caches type of collector...But thats where this has evolved into and many are great people that contribute alot to the caching world.

We discovered Geocaching in October of 2006 while on a nature walk with our son in Newport News Park. We had been in VA for a little over a year and had covered every trail in the park by then. (It is a good sized park.) We actually started caching in November. To date we have over 800 finds. I would not consider us newbie cachers at this point but we are definately still new to the coin collecting aspect.

We started collecting coins right before GW5. We now have around 130? coins in our collection. Most are not personal coins not because of a lack of interest BUT because of the difficulty in getting them. tomcatATgod gave us one of his copper coins at GW5. Ryder3andbetterhalf shared one of their pretty cat coins too. Can't recall anymore that were just given to us by a cacher. We have bought most of our coins. And now we have a few trades under our belts too!

We want to make our own coin to trade, give as gifts and of course to finance the making of said coins and future coins if possible. Making a coin is simply not a cheap venture.

I think the G of the S&G is hoping for some decent weather in the UK so we do go out again for long days caching to stop the S spending money on coins. Meanwhile coins for the S are a great alternative .

Sue

Have you started building your ark, yet? :anitongue:

Edited by GBOTS

Frankly I don’t Remember when….but I will tell you how I became hooked and my thoughts on other issues that arise with geocoins/caching. I am not even sure this is the right thread but I will share anyways.

My first caching experience was in June of 2006, about a week later after doing some research I bought a gps I quickly became hooked and was out just about everyday. I had my Aunt and Uncle buying a Gps within a month. We took the whole family (15) on one in Dolly Sods, WV. I had 100 finds by mid fall and then it became chilly and got dark much earlier, found the forums by late November. Most of my finds to date are in parks and what not, not to many micros. I was recently in New Orleans and where it is all micros, where I felt like a jack *** looking for them so I did a few virtual caches in the area to take in some of the history of the area.

I put my first coin out “Move It Along” and it disappeared within 6 hours…so I was really discouraged because it was a geodiamond, which I thought was a sweet coin….I probably had about 5-6 coins at the time and was reluctant to put them out.

Now to how I became hooked. So I was looking for things to pass time this winter. I was buying coins on e-bay before I discovered the forums (some of you probably made a pretty penny off me.) So I was off to my first ever event, 1/14/07, and man MY eyes caught a hold of some coins there….I will thank Anthus and TMOCM for my first view from a far. Wow!!! So I decided I was going make my own geocoin (avatar) and use it acquire some coins through trade and I sold the remaining. I did a modest 250 and seen some great support through the forums. But I know some of you probably went right to my forum posts and seen a handful and then went to my cache finds to see if I was worthy of making a coin….(I honestly don’t do that much research if I like the coin I am buying a couple). I really don’t care what people thought about me producing a coin. I thought it represented me and my caching team well and is Pittsburgh theme. Front incorporated the Steelers, pirates, and penguins and the back after some thinking incorporated the 3 rivers of Pittsburgh. Then all the drama arose with the companies taking more than their far share of samples and trading or selling them on e-bay. So with some good communication with my company of choice I went for it. What I enjoyed about doing the process myself was I communicated with a lot of what I will presume are great people, learned how to use paypal...LOL, really learned how to use excel, and familiarized my self with trade and selling etiquette. I only had one error in shipping which was quickly rectified when the purchaser contacted me. I didn’t do it for a profit more for a coin collection. Which I now have… in my little world…I think around 400.

To date I have gotten some pretty nice coins from trades…Anthus’s firefighter, Fluteface, danaoshimano, grallying (really like both of them), TMOCM, kootenay pirates, skin guy. I still buy some off of e-bay because I want them (compass rose 2006, Aztec calendar, lunchtime gang). I recently tried for a DD on e-bay but my fingers wouldn’t type fast enough. ****I don’t care one way or another if you purchase any coin and turn around and sell it on e-bay …. It is yours to do with as you please. Someone made around 50.00 for one of my coins which I thought was pretty cool, which basically paid for his whole order of 6. ROCK ON…

So off to my second event, where I delivered my new coins to various cachers. So a fellow cacher shows up and shows me a Moun10bike, so I checked it out and hand it back to him and he asks if I am going to discover it…I know how taboo this word can be (still feeling my way through the forums and reading the drama about what is okay and what is not) but I figured I will never find one, so what the heck. Now after reading some posts in this thread, may be I should have walked home from the event to make up for my discovery. Anyways I thank those who shared.

Do I think the market is flooded… heck no…not until the caches are flooded and people stop stealing them. Everyone has a different idea of what is appealing. I think I found my first coin on 9/2006, now I see them more often. I myself have quite a collection but I have been putting out more but in harder caches causes if someone is going to steal them they are going to have to work for it (I am missing 6 of 52 to date, which includes one tb racer date). My aunt and uncle cache with me on occasion and placed at least one geocoin/trackable during our adventures. They have around 50 cache finds and about 20-25 trackables…I think that is commendable in itself…they can’t cache that often….but when they do they give something back to the community.

Just my long winded thoughts...NOW of to play some texas holdem....yep I bought royal flush geocoin cause I like holdem'

Steel City Babes

I am a geocacher and a coin collector. I dont rush out to find coins in caches, but will move them if they are there. I love setting coins free, but I also love keeping coins that I can admire every day :)

I rush out for a FTF on a cache though! :o

I love how there are lots of coins to choose from - and I have become very discriminating now about which ones I trade for or purchase. They have SO MUCH meaning to me!

I'm sure everyone remembers the first coin they ever found, or were gifted. I am probably also a bit guilty of encouraging coin mania in my little part of the world. I have gifted coins in person and through FTF prizes because I love how people seem to appreciate the beauty, artistic properties and the thought behind coins.

I think the 'real' reason for coins in the first place should be as little works of art that mean something. For me at least, that hasn't changed. :)

We have been collecting since last Xmas...we are in the process of designing a personal. Not being big posters to this forum, (mainly lurkers as newbies), the attraction for us has been well made, thoughtful & unique coins. Either trackable or not. Stunning designs, interesting themes, an amazing array of ideas and talent. After doing this for awhile we now find oursleves suprised with the new friends we have made through coins. It was an unexpected bonus and I have to say it has now taken front stage along with our enjoyment of this "addiction". Our first major event, GW5 really was an initiation. The advice, the help, the generosity and the direction provided has added to our enjoyment. I think the spirit of the "remember when" still exist out there!

The first two coins I found in caches were an Oregon 2003 and a Canada coin. :)

For the Oregon, it was in a woodlot near the Bell helicopter plant in Mirabel, Quebec. I had to fight my way waist deep in snow for 150 yards. I had forgotten my snowshoes. But hey, I was'nt going to let go of a coin in a cache. :)

What do you remember?

Be nice now.

yeah i do remember and it was like all the other 'good old days' ..... i really prefer tap water, flushing toilets and easily bought mass geocoins folk can drop in caches and not angst over. Hope that counts for nice :)

Oh, they still have meaning, just not the same meaning. (Not good to imply that only the coins of "back in the day" are worth while, imo)

One of the first coins we found was a Canada, we moved it to a cache that was lost the next day.... :)

I preferred when coins were personal or organization/state coins. a few other well designed coins that were unique were nice also.

The first coins i found in caches were USA gecoins.

Now you see all kinds of garbage IMO, I am not trying to insult anyone, but all the coins that are made just for someone or a few people to profit.

The coin clubs started off pretty interesting, even those bore me now.

I've recently gone through my coins and pulled out all the non personal coins that I want to get rid of. at one time or another they were either novel or interesting to me in some way, but thats faded.

Some examples, on my desk now, that I will probably have on ebay soon.

Desert Cachoids

New Year 2007 coin

Geowoodstock 3 Attendee

Geowoodstock 4 Attendee

Maine 2005

Rockpile

Grand High Pobah's Leaderboard

Katrina Relief Coin

Sock Puppet

So this is a geocoin

Smokey Mountain Geoquest 2006 Event coin

Etc...

I remember the very fist geocoin I logged, a geocacher handed me at a geocache........

OH what a day that was.

The sun was bright the caches were light.

Had to drive 40 miles to find one.

Played hooky from work to get a FTF.

I remember when Lassie was a pup.

Time to go and filler up.

Head on out to a trail,

Was not concerned about the mail.

Find a cache and have some fun,

On to the next,run,run,run.

I totally agree with you Nero. Coins in the shape of pencils, batteries, garbage cans, things that have nothing to do with geocaching ie the "battle of the bulge", and coins with rock band logo's lost my interest a long time ago. I still admire the personal coins that are made with the geocachers own money, especially the ones you can't buy.

"Quote from Nero"

Now you see all kinds of garbage IMO, I am not trying to insult anyone, but all the coins that are made just for someone or a few people to profit.

The coin clubs started off pretty interesting, even those bore me now.

I've recently gone through my coins and pulled out all the non personal coins that I want to get rid of. at one time or another they were either novel or interesting to me in some way, but thats faded.

Edited by Cav Scout

Desert Cachoids

New Year 2007 coin

Geowoodstock 3 Attendee

Geowoodstock 4 Attendee

Maine 2005

Rockpile

Katrina Relief Coin

Sock Puppet

So this is a geocoin

Etc...

Instead of putting them on ebay why don't you release them into caches?????

I'm glad we have such a diverse geocoin community and not everyone thinks that so many coins are "garbage."

Seems this same arguement comes up about every 4 to 6 weeks. Instead of wasting time talking about what you don't like anymore (not directed at anyone in particular :laughing: ) go do something positive and quit dwelling on what you think is so negative about those of us who have designed coins you feel are unworthy or garbage.

Guess, I'm just tired of seeing this same theme popping up. Yup, you're entitled to your opinions.....

I love the seeing the diversity but I just don't buy what doesn't appeal to me. I just don't feel the need to come on here and make others feel/wonder if it's their coins I'm disappointed with.

Ok, who wants to come over and help me clean my house? :laughing: It doesn't have anything to do with caching of course but I'll buy pizza and we can talk about coins :laughing: lol

tsun :laughing:

edit for spelling

Edited by tsunrisebey

Ok I just have to jump in on this one...remember when? Yup sure do I was there saw it all start. I remember back in 2002 finding a "Joy of Caching" geocoin in California didn't have a clue what it was nor did I know it called a geocoin. I just thought it was might shinney swag, yeah back then swag was called trade items not swag. The folks that made the GreenMan & Joy of Caching geocoins were from none other than Washington and <gasp> they were for sale and they made bunches of them. Reference site www.geocachetreasure.com...which by the way is not responding. I do remember it was fun and still is just in a different way things change geocaching has changed so to have geocoins. I remember when I paid Groundspeak 30 as donattion to the cause, got nothing special in return except a chance to try and help the site stay up and running. I remember when is fun and it is a fact there are those of us that do remember when and one day four or five years down the road the new people now will be saying the same thing.

I most certainly am not one to judge what others do it's not my business and I respect the fact that geocoins and geocahing go hand in hand now where as years ago they did not. It just is.

have a good y'all

Pepper

I have not been trading coins for too long now but back in 2004-2005, I remember that I could send a geocoin traveling and it would go for thousands of miles. I also remember when the geocoins that were made were as simple as a Moun10Bike and today you got coins that light up! The geocoin world of years ago and today are much different but both have their own features that make you enjoy geocoins.

Edited by Son of Cyclops

Desert Cachoids

New Year 2007 coin

Geowoodstock 3 Attendee

Geowoodstock 4 Attendee

Maine 2005

Rockpile

Katrina Relief Coin

Sock Puppet

So this is a geocoin

Etc...

Instead of putting them on ebay why don't you release them into caches?????

I have and do place geocoins in caches.

In fact, I have 24 TB's 19 gc.com trackable coins i've released, as well as 13 2004 and 2005 CA coins that were not trackable on gc.com that I have released.

Most of all these items rarely move or have not moved in years and are presumed lost/stolen.

despite this, i still do on occasion drop coins in caches depending on my mood.

Edited by Nero

I remember when people follow through on trades and their word was good.

I remember this too, but that was long before I started geocaching. I grew up in a very rural area and the "handshake agreements" were honoured more than a written contract. Of course, I also remember gasoline only costing $0.33 / gallon and it was that high because they had an attendant pump it for you.

I have only been caching for a little over a year now. When I first started caching, I had no qualms with leaving a "high value" (~$10) trade item in a cache, now I almost never leave trade items or take any. I was FTF on a cache a while back, and I got an artist edition geocoin as my prize. I left an unactivated commercial coin in trade for it. One of the next few visitors to the cache took that coin and didn't leave anything in trade for it, and didn't even note it in their log. That woke me up to the reality of geocaching very quickly. I thought all cachers were like me, but this woke me up to the reality that they are just a small slice of reality and things like this happen all of the time in reality, so I now expect it more often in our activity too. As I told someone at work the other day, expect the worst you can imagine, then you will be pleasantly surprised more often than disappointed by what others do...

I remember this too, but that was long before I started geocaching. I grew up in a very rural area and the "handshake agreements" were honoured more than a written contract. Of course, I also remember gasoline only costing $0.33 / gallon and it was that high because they had an attendant pump it for you.

I have only been caching for a little over a year now. When I first started caching, I had no qualms with leaving a "high value" (~$10) trade item in a cache, now I almost never leave trade items or take any. I was FTF on a cache a while back, and I got an artist edition geocoin as my prize. I left an unactivated commercial coin in trade for it. One of the next few visitors to the cache took that coin and didn't leave anything in trade for it, and didn't even note it in their log. That woke me up to the reality of geocaching very quickly. I thought all cachers were like me, but this woke me up to the reality that they are just a small slice of reality and things like this happen all of the time in reality, so I now expect it more often in our activity too. As I told someone at work the other day, expect the worst you can imagine, then you will be pleasantly surprised more often than disappointed by what others do...

Wow! I couldn't have said this any better! I have released 3 coins in the US and all 3 have been stolen and one wasn't even mine. (It was part of the Spreading the Sunshine contest). I think I have released 2 in Europe and they are still traveling. I have also released a few TBs and one of them was stolen, and this has just been since the end of Sept!

Like others, I was naive in the beginning, never dreamed anyone would steal something from a cache, but I am much wiser, now. If I knew someone wouldn't steal my travelers, I'd be releasing them all over the place. I am now more likely to just leave coins in caches as a FTF or something that has impressed me. <_<

I'm glad we have such a diverse geocoin community and not everyone thinks that so many coins are "garbage."

I love the seeing the diversity but I just don't buy what doesn't appeal to me. I just don't feel the need to come on here and make others feel/wonder if it's their coins I'm disappointed with.

Ok, who wants to come over and help me clean my house? <_< It doesn't have anything to do with caching of course but I'll buy pizza and we can talk about coins :blink: lol

Yep - dont like it - dont buy it :huh:

I'll come over to help you clean your house, as long as you do the same for me. Pizza and talk about coins sounds great! :ph34r::huh: Might have to save up for a year or so to afford the airfare though... :P

Ouch...I feel your pain. I've only had one go really bad. And that person still owes me money and a coin to boot. I wrote it off, but it still steams me.

Edited to add: But it hasn't stopped me from trusting and trading. One idjit among all the good ones won't stop me. I refuse to give the jerk that: my feelings of honor and pride about my trades.

Edited by ATMouse