Oops! The bomb squad got one.......

STERLING — Authorities blocked off the intersection of South Second and Ash Streets Thursday afternoon after witnesses saw a man throw a suspicious item into the bushes near Wells Fargo Bank.

http://www.9news.com/imageenlarge.aspx?storyid=74368

I wonder if they signed the log book?

If this was a cache yet to be published I wonder if the placer even tried to get permission, with the security cameras around banks I'd say he'll be getting a door knock real soon.

If this was a cache yet to be published I wonder if the placer even tried to get permission, with the security cameras around banks I'd say he'll be getting a door knock real soon.

Nope, seven months old.

Pity, looks like a Jeep TB went boom with it.

Read quickly through the logs and i didn't see one person express concern about the cache's hiding place. Also noticed that there was a find on the day it was blown up,,, i'm guessing that this was the person who was reported as looking suspicious going into the bushes. :anitongue:

Just reading the owner's cache description makes it sound like he didn't get permission, but hopefully that's not the case. Sure hate to see things like this happen!

Nope, seven months old.

Pity, looks like a Jeep TB went boom with it.

Read quickly through the logs and i didn't see one person express concern about the cache's hiding place. Also noticed that there was a find on the day it was blown up,,, i'm guessing that this was the person who was reported as looking suspicious going into the bushes. :anitongue:

Just reading the owner's cache description makes it sound like he didn't get permission, but hopefully that's not the case. Sure hate to see things like this happen!

I noticed that. A lot of rather complimentary logs, in fact.

i think this sort of thing is geocaching's big hurdle. In this society right now,

I imagine that with the newb placements the bomb squad stories are going to rise from 1 every 2 weeks to 1 every week and worse. I think this sort of thing needs to be looked at for the goodness of the sport ya know? I have yet to place one so i'm not sure how it works but it seems that maybe reviewers should take account what businesses are surrounding the cache and if the cache necessitates notification through law enforcement, etc.

i think this sort of thing is geocaching's big hurdle. In this society right now,

I imagine that with the newb placements the bomb squad stories are going to rise from 1 every 2 weeks to 1 every week and worse. I think this sort of thing needs to be looked at for the goodness of the sport ya know? I have yet to place one so i'm not sure how it works but it seems that maybe reviewers should take account what businesses are surrounding the cache and if the cache necessitates notification through law enforcement, etc.

Good point, at least in the US and maybe Canada or Great Britain.

I don't think that it's as big a problem in other parts of the world, to be honest.

But with the current "climate" in the US, it's definitely wise to think seriously about where you're placing your cache.

I think that in a majority of places in Europe that a cache like t hat likely wouldn't rate much more than a glance. If it did, I don't think that it would be blown up immediately, rather, it would be investigated first.

I hate that fear and paranoia have taken over my home country.

In the bush by the bank... :anitongue:

Common sense??

No comment. :laughing: I was just wondering the other day though. Does anyone know who it was that took over Questmaster's "Bomb scares and other fun stuff" bookmark list? I know someone did take it over, but it's not as high profile, or mentioned in the forums as much.

"Greely has a bomb squad?! Who'd waste the bomb?" (in the comments section)

HAHAHAHA

Actually, the first cache I found sort of frightened me. The fact that it had "GEOCACHE" written on it, and that it was

on a steep hill, pretty much in the middle of nowhere (relative the rest of the city around it) comforted me, but I still

took precautions before opening it. Silly, but that fear has been put into a lot of people unfortunately.

(ps- I found my first geocache by accident ;-)

Edited by Friendly Goat

It is not the Reviewers place to seek permission for a cache, it always fall on the person hiding the cache itself. I do not exactly know how it all works either, but I do know they are able to see railroads and schools. As for other businesses sourrounding the cache I do not think they can see the starbucks, wal-mart, and mcdonalds next door.

Film cans never get 'sploded by the bomb squad.

Actually, i'm surprised that none have. I may be wrong but i figure there are explosives out there that require very little quantity to be effective, and that a film container could be made into a small bomb. :anitongue: Of course i also figure it's the fact that film cantainers don't normally look too menacing either!

Film cans never get 'sploded by the bomb squad.

Want to bet? Mr. Jug was a micro hanging in a tree along a rural highway. Ok, it wasn't actually blown up but they did call out the bomb squad and the "blow it up" robot.

It kinda looks like an M&M tube, but I may be wrong. M&M tubes are evil. They should all be blown up. :anitongue:

d221fe91-1006-4c22-976e-88c947f6e113.jpg

I actually found this cache a few weeks ago, I guess just in time. :anitongue: The location didn't seem bothersome to me , I didn't think it was that close to the bank building itself, it was in the bushes across the parking lot. I can't remember if it was marked as a Geocache on the outside or not. Too bad for the Jeep that went with it, but a great story!

Edited by ski-hike-co

"Greely has a bomb squad?! Who'd waste the bomb?" (in the comments section)

HAHAHAHA <snip> :lol:

HAHAHAHA! Gotta agree with you there!! :D:o

Hey! Wait a minute! :anitongue::laughing:

Actually the cache was in Sterling.

Hey now! Greeley's one of my favorite places!

Can't say much for Sterling, it's just a pit stop between Ogallala and home...

Hello all,

I am the person who placed the infamous cache that caused this forum.

First let me explain,

The cache was not really "next to the bank". It was accross the parking lot in the easement next to the sidewalk. The cache was right next to an intersection that is highly traveled so lots o muggles. I know that the news article makes this one look sinister, however it had been there for over 10 months and had been found 38 times with nobody mentioning a problem about location or any other problem.

I called first thing today to talk to the local police and the bank manager. I apologized for the stress I had caused them and straightened out the confusion. No laws were broken and the cache was on a greenway easement (not on bank property). The bank personnel were understanding and actually kind of interested in the sport- which they learned about yesterday.

I did not intend to cause problems as most cachers don't, however I did make something positive out of this.

[/b]According to the police sgt. that I spoke with, this has happened before. :anitongue: The concern would be that if caches are uncovered and nobody knows what they are the location may not be the only problem. The police said that to keep the game from prompting legislation a little help would be appreciated. I volunteered to keep an updated cache list for the police in Sterling who expressed concern over caches anywhere inside the city.(all urban caches) Please know that they thought that most police stations have no idea where caches are hidden and suggested that I encourage cachers to inform their local authorities with a written reference so that this can be avoided in the future.

Still love the sport and still love all of the cachers who helped me get started!! Hope this post is useful and informative.

paul

This just goes back to what we are using as containers and the placements. Clear plastic containers work the best (from law enforcement perspective). They can see the contents and determine if they need to waste their resources in calling out the bomb squad and blowing up some dime store trinkets or someone's travel bug. (now how do you log an exploded TB?) Anyway, I was looking for a cache that was across the street from a small airport and the police was over me in about 5 minutes. We really have to watch where we are placing caches now a days with all the threats going on. Let's use some common sense.

1) Learnt a new word today!

“Due to the circumstances, we wanted to be precautious,” said Sterling Police chief Roy Breivick.

Precautious!

2) I hope that the cache owner moves the Red Jeep into an "Unknown location".

3) Just guessing that a micro might have worked better at this location? :anitongue:

4) Oh, well. Bomb squads love to blow things up.

It is not the Reviewers place to seek permission for a cache, it always fall on the person hiding the cache itself.

o fo sho. I'm suggesting that the reviewer just prompt the hider to get permission or whatever. if the hider gets no permission, then the cache doesn't get published. Personally, if i were placing a cache in a business area I would notify a manager in each surrounding business. Just so if they saw a "strange person behaving strangely" they would smile instead of get scared.

1) Learnt a new word today!

“Due to the circumstances, we wanted to be precautious,” said Sterling Police chief Roy Breivick.

Precautious!

2) I hope that the cache owner moves the Red Jeep into an "Unknown location".

3) Just guessing that a micro might have worked better at this location? :D

4) Oh, well. Bomb squads love to blow things up.

Me too! When I first read it I thought it was a typo or an error of speech, but no, apparently it really is a word.

precautious - Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :

Precautious \Pre*cau"tious\, a.

Taking or using precaution; precautionary. --

Pre*cau"tious*ly, adv. -- Pre*cau"*tious*ness, n.

[1913 Webster]

Pre`cau´tious

a. 1. Taking or using precaution; precautionary.

Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus

Main Entry: discreet

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: cautious

Synonyms: alert, attentive, awake, cagey, calculating, careful, chary, circumspect, civil, clam, conservative, considerate, controlled, diplomatic, discerning, discriminating, gingerly, guarded, having foresight, heedful, intelligent, judicious, moderate, noncommittal, not rash, observant, politic, precautious, prudent, reasonable, reserved, restrained, safe, sagacious, strategic, tactful, temperate, thoughtful, unexcessive, unextreme, vigilant, wary, watchful, wise, worldly-wise

Antonyms: careless, conspicuous, incautious, indiscreet, insensitive, reckless, tactless, thoughtless

Notes: discreet means 'judicious, prudent, showing discernment,' while discrete means 'detached, separate' and 'individually distinct'

Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.3.1)

I'm suggesting that the reviewer just prompt the hider to get permission or whatever. if the hider gets no permission, then the cache doesn't get published.

Umm.....yeah. That's why permission is already part of the guidelines. Every cache that gets submitted requires the hider to check the box saying they have read and understand these guidelines.

Edited by gnbrotz

I'm suggesting that the reviewer just prompt the hider to get permission or whatever. if the hider gets no permission, then the cache doesn't get published.

Umm.....yeah. That's why permission is already part of the guidelines. Every cache that gets submitted requires the hider to check the box saying they have read and understand these guidelines.

I see. I did not know that. As I stated I haven't placed a cache yet and did not know.

the way our society is currently i think ammo cans have become a bad idea to put out in the bush or near civilization period, i was considering using ammo cans, but i think i'll just keep them at home and start using some other methods, people are just way too paranoid these days.

I see. I did not know that. As I stated I haven't placed a cache yet and did not know.

Sorry the sarcasm was a little thick. Your own comments about contacting nearby business owners as a courtesy seems to indicate that you already have a common-sense approach to placing a cache. The guidelines indicate the need to obtain "adequate" permission. Depending on where you're hiding it, it might mean you really don't have to do anything.

Here in PA, state forests and parks require a (free) screening/registration process, but state game lands do not. Likewise, some local public park systems require a specific process, some do not. If you don't have contact with other local hiders, your reviewer is a great source for this type of info. However, as knowledgeable and helpful as the reviewers are, they can't physically visit each cache that's submitted and don't have the ability to see the surrounding area in person. When you submit a cache, you can leave a "Reviewer Note" to provide extra info that may be helpful to the Reviewer as they look at your listing (like "The railroad shown on the map has been removed and it is now a rail-trail"). I have yet to be told "You provided too much info".

What amazes me is the number of people who don't give a second thought to permission and get bent about how many 'rules' there are, because after all, "it's just a game". Every game, sport or hobby I've ever participated in has some type of boundary. In order to participate, I have to do so within them.

Edited by gnbrotz