New 60CSx

hyflyt

I had a Vista Cx, but took it back and got the 60CSx. I like that it will lock onto 8-9 satellites from inside my house where the Vista would find none. I also like the larger screen and the buttons on the face. But...

1. In Map mode, the map dances around...oddly (in my mind) it jumps around counter clockwise.

2. In compass mode, I get a message on the lower screen to "hold level." I never saw this with the Vista. I'll be mounting the unit on my motorcycle, so can't be keeping it level.

3. The compass dances around too and generally is off by at least 90 degrees.

4. In another thread, someone suggested changing the heading to 1mph for 180 seconds. Did that to no avail.

5. The unit is up to date.

6. I've calibrated it.

7. Additionally, the elevation is off by about 200'.

All of this occurs sitting at my desk and also while out walking. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

j

Edited by hyflyt

2. In compass mode, I get a message on the lower screen to "hold level." I never saw this with the Vista. I'll be mounting the unit on my motorcycle, so can't be keeping it level.

6. I've calibrated it.

I would never use the magnetic compass in a car or near the metal of the handlebars of your bike, this alone could pull the compass out of whack and make you need to recalibrate frequently. On the 60csx you can turn off the magnetic compass by holding the page button for a few seconds(you also could do this with your vistaCX).

I had a Vista Cx, but took it back and got the 60CSx. I like that it will lock onto 8-9 satellites from inside my house where the Vista would find none. I also like the larger screen and the buttons on the face. But...

1. In Map mode, the map dances around...oddly (in my mind) it jumps around counter clockwise.

4. In another thread, someone suggested changing the heading to 1mph for 180 seconds. Did that to no avail.

5. The unit is up to date.

6. I've calibrated it.

7. Additionally, the elevation is off by about 200'.

All of this occurs sitting at my desk and also while out walking. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

j

!. The map lines it self up with the land it is depicting. If you turn the GPS the map re-aligns. It is a beautiful thing for me because I am one of those people who can only read a paper map when north on the map actually pointing.north. You paint a funny picture. You turn the GPS to read the map from a different angle and the map rotates back to where it was. If you want to look at the map from a different angle, leave the GPS oriented the same and then "walk" around the GPS.

2. It is a two axis compass and the two axes have to be horizontal. Some GPS have 3 axis compass and you do not need to hold the GPS horizontal.

3. If you rotate the GPS 90 degress the pointer will actully point 90 degress off. I do that and sight down the arrow off the side of the GPS to get an accurate direction to the destination.

I would suggest letting the unit sit outside turned on for a while so it pulls in a full "almanac".

Set it up so that North is up (that should keep the map from doing cart-wheels).

The "hold level" is the message that indicates that the electronic compass is being used.

Turn if off for the moment and see if things stabilize.

Use it outdoors a bit with this set-up to see if that works normally. Then turn the compass on, calibrate it. If things bounce around, then you need to call Garmin support - it suggests something is wrong with the compass circuitry.

Thanks for all the replies, I will try them and report back.

I used my Vista Cx (took it back for the 60) on my motorcycle and the compass worked great (as did the map) attached to a metal Techmounts mount and very near the handlebars. It was also sitting nearly vertical...maybe 75 degree tilt.

I hope this all works out because the larger screen is a "plus" for me...I like having four data fields and still having enough map showing to be useful while riding.

Thanks again,

j

Are you holding the unit vertical with the compass turned on? Because that could cause the compass sensor to be randomly "spinning" which would make the map move and spin. The unit should be flat not vertical using the compass, so just turn the compass off when you can't hold it level :lol:

Regarding #1, if it's anything like the 76CSX you should be able to go into the menu while on the map screen and change the orientation from Track Up to North Up. The satellite page can also be set to orient North Up or Track Up. Personally I prefer the map with North Up (the pointer still shows your track).

Edited by Crid

This morning I rode with the unit in it's RAM cradle. I'll start with the cradle; compared to the RAM cradle for the Vista, this one sucks. It holds the unit extremely well...too well. While taking the unit out, I had to fight it and ended up loosening up the Techmounts adjustments I had "locked" in. The unit worked normally while riding. As soon as I came to a stop, the map started rotating around, counter clockwise. This occured both with the compass on and off. Also, I did not get the message on the compass page telling me to "hold level" today. The biggest set back is that at maximum brightness, the unit is unreadable through a pair of sunglasses and a clear visor. This one fact is going to cause me to take the unit back to Wal Mart. I'll be ordering the Vista HCx today.