"Discovering" TB's

Pinster56

Can someone enlighten me as to why there is the "discover" feature for logging travel bugs now? What is the point??? I don't care if someone saw my travel bug, it is useless information, if they don't actually move it....All these "discoveries" are clogging up my in box! Does anybody else find this somewhat irritating?

Edited by Pinster56

It allows the icon collectors to add a new one to thier stats boxes. Also a way of saying that you saw it and it is safe but you could not help it complete a goal.

Personally, I have never seen a need to use this function and probably never would. I like to move the Tbs along - not just note that I sighted it.

It's more for geocoins that TBs. People like to "collect" the icons. People discovering my TBs hasn't been a problem with me. I haven't noticed many people doing so.

Now my coins are a different story. I have one geocoin that I knew was in CA and suddenly all these "discovered" notifications were pouring in from an event in FL :o:) . It seems that my coin's tracking number was on a printed list that was circulated at the event. I just don't get the point of that.

You haven't even seen the coin and the only thing you discovered was a number on a piece of paper.

It's the latest number padding scheme. Cachers pass around lists of geocoins, and travel bugs, just so they can discover them.

The function was originally created for geocoins that had unique icons. It helped stopped the old practice, of electronically grabbing a geocoin from a cache, than electronically placing the coin back into the same cache. This reduces the number of logs from (two or three) down to one. The icon hunters are happy, and the TB owners get numerous, but useless logs.

I don't "Discover" TBs either. I might make a note in my log that I saw a TB in the cache, but I don't get the number. I will "Discover" Geocoins, but that is a bit different . . . :lol:

What's the difference between a geocoin and a TB? I thought they were basically the same thing, but one was self-contained in a "coin" and the other was a tag to attach to something?

Can someone enlighten me as to why there is the "discover" feature for logging travel bugs now? What is the point??? I don't care if someone saw my travel bug, it is useless information, if they don't actually move it....All these "discoveries" are clogging up my in box! Does anybody else find this somewhat irritating?

Just an observation. You have 12 TBs' out there. You have 25 cache hides. Do you care if someone finds your cache? Doesn't your in box fill up with notices that a cachers found your caches?? Does that irritate you also? The way I see it, TBs' are meant to be moved if possible and discovered by as many cachers that see them. I can see where a cacher would get upset about somone discovering a TB in a cache and not move it at all. But on the other hand if they discover it I know that it is still out there and has not been stolen. I will admit that I discover TBs' and do NOT move them, some time, only because I can not help it towards its' goal or I may not be going out caching for a spell. Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Dardevle

Edited by dardevle

I don't think it is useless information. We have a ton of trackables and while it is great when people move them, we like to see them discovered also. It lets us know the coin or TB is safe and helps keep track of it. When trackables are logged into a single cache for a long time and there are multiple finds of that cache without anyone moving the trackable, we grow nervous that it is lost or stolen. For that reason, we are happy to see discoveries and we try to discover TB's that we don't move to let the owners keep tabs.

When that feature first came up I used it a lot but after a while, it was just too darn tedius for me to write down the tracking numbers of every trackable I saw but didn't take.

I haven't had too many discoveries on my bugs, I have a coin and my truck as a travel bug that are meant to have discoveries logged, but my bugs that are out and about, yes it is a bit frustrating, especially when they haven't moved in a while.

I understand "discovering" coins (if you've actually had your hands on them) because of the different icons, but I don't get why people discover regular bugs. I have a bug that I released here in CO. The first person that grabbed it took it to ID (great, it's moving fast!). But, now it's been in ID for almost a year and one out of every three posts is a discovery. It's a travel bug. I want it to travel.

To answer beasfer's question in another thread.

Discovering is used when you wish to log the traveler but do not take it with you.

The only 'requirement' in this practice is that virtual logging, that is logging tracking numbers of travelers you've nothing seen or sharing tracking numbers such as posting one on-line, is prohibited.

Thanks, BlueDeuce! I accidentaly posted this question in another forum, so the thread got moved here. As I mentioned over there, my wife and I have differing views about discovering. Personally, if a fellow cacher shows me a coin that they found, I will discover it provided I get to physically hold the coin and look it over and note the #. I will not log a coin if I somehow get the # but don't get to see/hold the coin.

On the other hand, my wife will only discover a coin if she is at a cache when one is found. Since we often go caching together, if I take a coin from the cache and log it as found, she will discover it since she was there at the time.

Thanks, BlueDeuce! I accidentaly posted this question in another forum, so the thread got moved here. As I mentioned over there, my wife and I have differing views about discovering. Personally, if a fellow cacher shows me a coin that they found, I will discover it provided I get to physically hold the coin and look it over and note the #. I will not log a coin if I somehow get the # but don't get to see/hold the coin.

On the other hand, my wife will only discover a coin if she is at a cache when one is found. Since we often go caching together, if I take a coin from the cache and log it as found, she will discover it since she was there at the time.

The original intent of Discovering was specifically for when coins were being shared to be logged but the owner wished to keep the item in their possession or when several people wanted to log the coin but only one person carried it away to drop elsewhere.

Both of your practices is perfectly acceptable.

Edited to add that whether or not you choose to use the Discover option is up to you.

Edited by BlueDeuce
my wife and I have differing views about discovering. Personally, if a fellow cacher shows me a coin that they found, I will discover it provided I get to physically hold the coin and look it over and note the #. I will not log a coin if I somehow get the # but don't get to see/hold the coin.

Your wife's philosophy is closer to my personal policy. I'll only log a coin if I find it in a cache. I don't see anything wrong with your view either. At least you saw the coin and touched it. I think either way is fine.

Put a filter on your inbox and you wont get them anymore. Filter them to their own folder or to the garbage.

I am grabbing this thread and moving it to the Travel Bug forum.

Had I merely discovered this thread, it would have stayed here in the Geocaching Topics forum, waiting for some other mod to move it along the old fashioned way.

HEHEHE, funny guy.

With the discover feature, at least you know your travel bug is alive and still well. That's one good use for it, and the other is so people can share their personal coins. Otherwise, it's for the numbers/icon lovers. There are several threads open already discussing this feature if you care to search the TB/coin forums.

First of all, I would like to say that there are many different ways to play this game, and all of them deserve respect. My friends that I have met through caching and I like to go to events, and when we are there we like to discover both coins and bugs. I don't mind at all when either my bugs and coins are discovered. I can see how it is irritating to have them be sitting in a cache and get discovered and never moved. However, some people are not into moving them for whatever reason, and I do find it comforting to know they are still there. Much more comforting than checking the last logs on the cache where your trackable was, only to see the logs state something about "muggled" and "missing". I haven't lost any TBs yet but I have lost a lot of coins this way. I personally am really into trackables, even if I just discovered them at an event, and frequently check my list of trackables I have found/discovered to see where they are now. That is one advantage to discovering them - being able to watch them easily after that.

It's more for geocoins that TBs. People like to "collect" the icons. People discovering my TBs hasn't been a problem with me. I haven't noticed many people doing so.

Now my coins are a different story. I have one geocoin that I knew was in CA and suddenly all these "discovered" notifications were pouring in from an event in FL :anitongue::laughing: . It seems that my coin's tracking number was on a printed list that was circulated at the event. I just don't get the point of that.

You haven't even seen the coin and the only thing you discovered was a number on a piece of paper.

If that's the case, perhaps you should delete the logs. I think I would.

I do like to help trackables move and achieve their missions, but I don't think I've ever discovered a trackable. I just don't see the point (unless it's mission is contrary to my plans).

A caching friend told me of how he went to his first event and was offered an email of all the tracking numbers from the TB table. Being a newbie he innocently inquired "Why would I want that?". He was also bemused as to why an adult was so excited at showing him a jeep TB. It did make me laugh. :laughing:

At events I don't even look at the TB table. I'd far rather find them in the wild.

All of my trackables are clearly marked not to go to events, as this is the main place for discovering, coin disappearance and rarely helps achieve a mission. Having said that some people will ignore this request and take them anyway. :anitongue: but that's what the delete button is for.

Here's an example of how a discover log could have been helpful, and prevented a quantum leap.

One of my bugs was at an event, prior to the addition of the discover log. Several attendees wrote down the tracking numbers of several bugs, including mine. The cacher that took my bug with him waited a week to place it, giving the rest time to grab the bug from the event, and then place it back into the event. After he placed the bug into another cache, one of the slow loggers grabbed it, not noticing which cache it was in, and then placed it back into the event. Now the bug has miles it didn't travel, is logged into a cache it isn't in, and is in a cache it's not logged into. The discover log would have left the bug in the cache it was actually in since you don't have to replace a bug you discover.

Here's an example of how a discover log could have been helpful, and prevented a quantum leap.

One of my bugs was at an event, prior to the addition of the discover log. Several attendees wrote down the tracking numbers of several bugs, including mine. The cacher that took my bug with him waited a week to place it, giving the rest time to grab the bug from the event, and then place it back into the event. After he placed the bug into another cache, one of the slow loggers grabbed it, not noticing which cache it was in, and then placed it back into the event. Now the bug has miles it didn't travel, is logged into a cache it isn't in, and is in a cache it's not logged into. The discover log would have left the bug in the cache it was actually in since you don't have to replace a bug you discover.

This is actually probably why the discover log option was added. There were a whole LOT of bugs with messed up logs. If we were to read the geocaching.com website threads, we'd probably find where someone asked for it, it was discussed, and then implemented. That's how a lot if features come about.

This is actually probably why the discover log option was added. There were a whole LOT of bugs with messed up logs. If we were to read the geocaching.com website threads, we'd probably find where someone asked for it, it was discussed, and then implemented. That's how a lot if features come about.

That's exactly what happened, I was there. Jeremy took the idea. He saw it ripe on the tree, he plucked it, and he put it in his pocket.

It's the latest number padding scheme. Cachers pass around lists of geocoins, and travel bugs, just so they can discover them.

The function was originally created for geocoins that had unique icons. It helped stopped the old practice, of electronically grabbing a geocoin from a cache, than electronically placing the coin back into the same cache. This reduces the number of logs from (two or three) down to one. The icon hunters are happy, and the TB owners get numerous, but useless logs.

I agree with the tone of Kit Fox's reply. It's a scheme that doesn't do anything for the trackable's travels. If someone wants the icon or the tally, then he/she should be willing to move the TB/coin from one cache to another. If you're too lazy to do that, then tough beans. If a "discovered" log showed up on one of my TBs, I'd delete it.*

I love TBs. I move them whenever I can and I also snap photos about 90% of the time, since that is part of the travelogue.

On a side note, who are the jerks who take TBs from caches and then don't log them and keep them? It happens a lot! Unlikely that it is muggles, because they'd probably take the whole cache or other stuff. They wouldn't know the significance of a TB.

- Seth!

*Exception: Someone accidentally did that when they actually were moving the TB. I left the log, of course.

I agree with the tone of Kit Fox's reply. It's a scheme that doesn't do anything for the trackable's travels. If someone wants the icon or the tally, then he/she should be willing to move the TB/coin from one cache to another. If you're too lazy to do that, then tough beans. If a "discovered" log showed up on one of my TBs, I'd delete it.*

what is it with some people. Why do you want to decide what is in someone's mind. It's not what you like to do so they are "lazy".

I love TBs. I move them whenever I can

So I guess the rest of the time you are just too lazy?

Jumping into this topic. We have just put notices on our TBs that "discovered logs" will NOT be allowed, and any discovered logs will be deleted. The point of the TB is to travel, not be discovered in a cache and left to sit. We have gotten some nasty hate emails from cachers about our no discoveries rules on out TBs.

We have made this rule due to visiting caches where TBs have been sitting for over six months and only being discovered and not moved (we took them to move). These were TBs with the goal of just traveling cache to cache with no specific purpose/desitination/goal in mind.

I can certainly understand the 'discovered logs' for geocoins..its nice to have a new pretty icon, but TBs? It's fine for those who don't mind, but its just not happening with our TBs.

I like getting the alerts to let me know that they are still in the cache and not missing. Perhaps Groundspeak could add an option to let you know which types of e-mail you want (finds, losts, or discovers)

Play the game how ever it makes you happy (with in the rules of course).

I discover bugs when I see/touch them. I like to move them as well.

I also like being able to go back and look at bugs Ive found/discovered, and see how they are doing in their journey. Its part of the fun.

My wife and I don't discover bugs or coins. We either move it or we don't.

Now recently I took a 8200 mile road trip across America and I did use the discover feature. Since my wife and I have our own accounts, there might have been places where I picked up a trackable and dropped it off at my next stop. Instead of logging it into my name, then having her grab it, it was easier to just have her discover it. We moved it together so we don't feel bad if she discovers it to get the stat, since we were actually moving the thing.

Other than that, discover is a dirty, dirty thing that I wouldn't feel comfortable telling my mother I do.

I usually cache with my boyfriend, generally whoever doesn't "move" the bug will discover it. hey, i bought the gas! but it's practical... He's usually making a focused beeline for the cache while I'm gazing at the pretty views snapping pictures with any TBs that might be in my caching bag. The camera is his, and he sometimes doesn't give me the pictures for weeks; it's nice to be able to go back and figure out what TB it was to post the pictures whether I "moved" the bug or not; course if it's a particularly nice shot he'll claim it and post it himself !

and yeah, please don't retrieve my car! http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=661535

Edited by ThirstyMick

Some idiot "Discovered" my travel bug, then put it in another Cache and couldn't "drop it off" because it wasn't in their niventory anymore??????????

Have emailed them to get them to sort it out.

Matt.

If you know what cache it's in go head and retrieve it and post a note on the cache and drop it. Then delete the cache note.

I don't understand this function either. To me its almost a lazt way of logging trackables. I only log trackables that I retrieve, possess, and drop.

The one instance I can make at least some sense of it is when you visit a "TB Hotel". I can understand logging a discovered there only because some "TB Hotels" have rules that say trade 1 for 1

Last time I made it, I parked right out front with my sticker facing the entrance and not a single discovery!!

Did you say *free* beer? was that a typo??

Hey, ThirstyMick, look forward to discovering your cachemobile if you make it to Third Tuesdays Free Beer and Burgers in Sept (now that it is going to be on Tuesdays again). We've have two cachemobiles there already:

Mine: TB1FBGB

TwoCat's: TB1D0FY

Last time I made it, I parked right out front with my sticker facing the entrance and not a single discovery!!

Hey, ThirstyMick, look forward to discovering your cachemobile if you make it to Third Tuesdays Free Beer and Burgers in Sept (now that it is going to be on Tuesdays again). We've have two cachemobiles there already:

More wishful thinking than a typo. The ice cream was free. The beer, unfortunately, is not. The burgers aren't free either.

More wishful thinking than a typo. The ice cream was free. The beer, unfortunately, is not. The burgers aren't free either.

:blink: hehe didn't think so

Seems like the best solution would be to allow trackable owners the option of allowing discoveries on their trackable or not.

One use that seems justified to me is when family members cache together but have separate accounts. If they take and move a travel bug or coin together, each will want to have a record of the item in their account. If discovery is uncool, would it work for one member to retrieve the item, then the others to grab it in turn before the last in line places it in a new location?

Another use that seems reasonable is when there are multiple trackables in a single cache, and the cacher doesn't feel comfortable taking/moving them all, wanting to leave some of the fun for the next person. This is the only application of discovery that I think is reasonable that wouldn't be handled well by my suggestion to make discoveries owner-enabled or -disabled. If a bug were clearly identified as a "no discoveries" bug, it would probably be moved before other bugs, to the disadvantage of owners who chose to allow discovery, which I think would lead to most owners not allowing discovery. Maybe that is fine, since discovery seems to be unpopular in most circumstances anyhow.

The third situation I can think of is when a trackable is intended by its user to be discovered rather than moved, such as people whose vehicles are TBs or who bring a special coin to events for people to discover. That case would be nicely handled by giving the owner the choice to make his/her trackable discoverable.