Another BM bites the dust

Z15

Was heading to Marquette this am and as I went thru Chassell, I noticed this USGS BM dating back to the early 1900's was hit recently. The metal USGS pipe and cap are bent over and now useless. It was located at US-41 intersection with a busy county road. It was located close to the road, sticking out of the ground on the bank. Appears someone failed to make the turn and smashed it back against the slope, bending it about 30 degree's out of plumb. Probably hit and run.

I did not have a camera with me but I will try to get a photo later today or tomorrow as I go by again.

SG0102_MARKER: P = PIPE CAP

SG0102_SETTING: 17 = SET INTO TOP OF METAL PIPE DRIVEN INTO GROUND

SG0102_SP_SET: METAL PIPE DRIVEN INTO GROUND

SG0102_STAMPING: MICH 625

SG0102_MARK LOGO: USGS

SG0102_MAGNETIC: N = NO MAGNETIC MATERIAL

SG0102_STABILITY: D = MARK OF QUESTIONABLE OR UNKNOWN STABILITY

SG0102_SATELLITE: THE SITE LOCATION WAS REPORTED AS NOT SUITABLE FOR

SG0102+SATELLITE: SATELLITE OBSERVATIONS - July 25, 1996

SG0102

SG0102 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

SG0102 HISTORY - UNK MONUMENTED USGS

SG0102 HISTORY - 1948 GOOD NGS

SG0102 HISTORY - 19900912 GOOD MIDT

SG0102 HISTORY - 19900912 GOOD MIDT

SG0102 HISTORY - 19960725 GOOD NGS

Edited by Z15

..and here's a beloved local intersection station that's bitten the dust:

f7ee0e84-4fad-4ebb-b823-6c9fb2314da2.jpg

KW2882 - SHIPPENSBURG NORMAL SCH DOME - a.k.a. Shippensburg University's Old Main

The dome is undergoing repair & will be returned to no doubt be logged as 'found' on G.C. once again !

In my local county, we've lost at least one disk this month due to road work (I stopped w/ in a few hrs of a culvert's demise & asked the head of the D.O.T. road crew if they pulled the disk to report..they said "what disk?" I also drove to the spot nearby where they're dumping the rubble - no luck finding) 2 more stand in their way....

..and here's a beloved local intersection station that's bitten the dust:

KW2882 - SHIPPENSBURG NORMAL SCH DOME - a.k.a. Shippensburg University's Old Main

The dome is undergoing repair & will be returned to no doubt be logged as 'found' on G.C. once again !

I'm glad I nailed this one when I did, two years ago. The old campus is quite lovely.

Nearby is an interesting mark, NORMAL RM 1 RESET 1937 (KW2250), where the disk was recovered set in a curb, but the curb was possibly (OK, almost certainly) relocated from its original setting. At Deb Brown's suggestion, my NGS report described the circumstances and included the phrase "use with caution."

-ArtMan-

PS: Don't be too hard on your fellow benchmarkers. If they do a good restoration job it shouldn't be very apparent at all that the dome has been rebuilt. Even a diligent observer might be totally clueless.

..I've always taken a contrarian view on NORMAL RM 1 RESET 1937 - at least about the moving of the curb. The distances from Rowland Hall & the former gymnasium still seem to check, & I relied on memory as the drive has been moved farther south twice since my 4 years there - many - many years ago. My theory is that they saw-cut the curb in place & removed the curb on either side.

17921ef3-17e8-4267-914d-dfd9e0282979.jpg

As I remember & the photo appears to confirm, the road ran to the right of the marked curb, & swung to the left (SW) sharply in the background. The original tri-station NORMAL (KW2883) in 1935 described its' original RM 1 on the N side of the curb:

KW2883' REFERENCE MARK NO. 1 IS 26.460 METERS (86.81 FEET) SW OF STATION, A

KW2883' STANDARD BRONZE DISK SET IN A DRILL HOLE IN N CURB OF CIRCULAR

KW2883' DRIVE

In 1937 NORMAL 2 1935 1937 (KW2251) was set...which is silent on the issue (and Box Score'less) ..so RM 1 might have been reset to the S side of the drive. This could make sense to put it in the line-of-sight of the 'new' tri-station.

I poked around this area 2wice after ArtMan's log before I actually logged it myself since I hadn't recovered that many marks at the time - hmmm..I'm thinking another road trip !

Re: the future "found it"s - that was just a nod to the hard-core BM'er vs. casual cacher debate threads (standpipe is replaced by 6-legged water tower but everybody finds it, etc.). I just drove by out of curiosity after someone told me the dome was gone...never even thought about it being in the db. for about 3 weeks...then I remembered I had pics!

PS - I'm still looking for info on the disk that at one time resided on curb on the right side of the front entrance to Old Main (see log) - can't remember which agency or when it disappeared - just that it was well polished due to foot traffic. (back then I just noticed them all the time - never thought to photograph them! ...Especially in the days of <gasp> 'film' !

Edited by Ernmark