Team Sand Dollar - Legend of the Sand Dollar

Team Sand Dollar

I let many of you in on my next design at MWGB. I have been wanting to do this one for awhile now and I am finally getting to it. I expect to have these coins sometime around mid to late September. These will be trackable with the tracking number on the side and will have a custom Icon for the set.

It will be a 3 coin set with the story spread across the back of the 3 coins. Each of the 3 coins will actually be 2 coins with the base coin being in an antique finish and the associated micro coin being in a shiny finish. The coins will only be available as a 3 coin set.

As with all trackable coin that I produce there are no LE coins unless the mint messes up, there will be no limit, they can be bought, and I do trade.

I would like to hold off on taking pre-orders and trades until I have the sample coins in hand.

This is the first draft of the artwork and I still need to look for spelling errors.

Legend1-50.jpg

Legend2-50.jpg

Legend3-50.jpg

Team Sand Dollar

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Very nice, I love it.

might I suggest the magnet in the sand dollar so the dove is unobstructed?

In order for this to work one of the coins needs a iron base. Since there is a chance of corrosion with engraving the iron core coin needs to be the sand dollar which will not be engraved. The actual magnets are a shiny silver so it will not stick out as bad on the white dove.

Team Sand Dollar

Very nice, I love it.

In order for this to work one of the coins needs a iron base. Since there is a chance of corrosion with engraving the iron core coin needs to be the sand dollar which will not be engraved. The actual magnets are a shiny silver so it will not stick out as bad on the white dove.

Team Sand Dollar

COOL!

Again, they look great.

Very nice, I love it.

Team Sand Dollar

COOL!

Again, they look great.

I will be sending this one to the mint on Monday and hope to have proofs in hand in about 3 week.

These coins will only be sold/traded as a set and each of the 3 coins in the set are actually 2 coins so the set consists of 3 regular trackable coins and 3 non-trackable smaller coins that fit into the regular coins.

My estimated cost on the set will be $30 for the US, $31 Canada, and $35 for all others. This price includes shipping.

I am starting to take a preorder for these coins at this time and will need the following information for my data base. You will not be added to the list until I have all needed information. Location Is very important and has been left out on many of my previous coins.

1) Geo Nickname: (real names confuse me a am better with Nicknames)

2) Location (US, Canada, Other) to calculate shipping charges.

3) Number of sets desired.

4) Trade of purchase (will establish trades later)

5) PayPal email address for invoicing (for those purchasing only)

Purchasing:

For those wanting to purchase the set(s), I will request prepayment of the coins but will not be sending out invoices until final production is started at the mint. I need to do this since I only have funding for around 100 set and expect I will need more. You are not required to prepay but those wishing not to prepay will have their orders filled after all prepaid and traded for coins are taken care of. Since I do not plan on limiting these coins their will be enough coins to fill all orders, just those that do not prepay may need to wait a little while. The first order on these coins will be based on the number of prepays so I will once I have the proof coins in hand I will send out invoices and wait about a week before sending in the order.

Trading:

For those wishing to trade for the coins I do not plan to establish any trades until right before delivery. Since I still have other coins that I am trading I don’t want to add to the confusion at this time. Since this is a 3 coin set made up of 6 coins I will be a little more selective in my trades but still want to be able to trade the set for 3 coins in most cases.

Another note on my trading style is that I only trade for 2 of any personal or event coin regardless of the number of finishes and for only one of any commercial coin. The reason for this I collect personal coins for my self and my dad (Buffalo Wings) and commercial coins only for my dad. I generally will not except more than 2 of any personal coin as I do not like to trade someone else’s personal coins when I don’t have to as this will cut into their trades.

Thanks

Team Sand Dollar

We e-mailed for a set. They look great! One grammatical thing I noticed on the silver coin. "shepherd" is singular, but the next line says "led them", plural. Nit-picky, I know - forgive me.

Mrs. Car54

(edited because Mrs. grammarian couldn't spell shepherd correctly :D)

Edited by Car54

We e-mailed for a set. They look great! One grammatical thing I noticed on the silver coin. "shepherd" is singular, but the next line says "led them", plural. Nit-picky, I know - forgive me.

Mrs. Car54

(edited because Mrs. grammarian couldn't spell shepherd correctly :D)

Already caught that on and It's should be just Its. But anyone else seeing any errors please let me know as I want to get this one right and it has a lot of word.

Team Sand Dollar

Need some input on this one.

I am being told that the coins cannot be made in 3.5mm as originally

quoted and will have to be 5mm thick to accept the magnet. On top of

that they say the price would need to increased!!!

They say they could make the lower coin in zinc-alloy rather than

bronze and stay very close to the original 3.5mm price but it would

still need to be 5mm thickness.

Do I go with brass and get a very heavy coin which increases the price both on base cost and shipping or use the zinc-alloy which will keep the base cost close to the same and hopefully also not increase weight.

I am leaning toward the Zinc-Alloy since due to the thickness required it will probably still be heavier than most 1.5" coins.

Team Sand Dollar

Well there have been a few changes required for this one which will increase its cost. First the main coin will need to be 5mm thick due to the indenting required for the doves and magnet. I will be going with a zinc alloy on the main coin to keep both the cost and weight down since a brass core would cost more and weigh a lot more on such a thick coin.

This change is adding additional mold fees, per coin cost due to thickness, and postage increased due to weight.

Additionally my estimates were optimistic since I figured I would produce at least 200-300 sets and spread the fixed cost across more coins.

I do not have exact cost now but based on only 100 set produced it will but quite higher.

I am also looking at putting 5 smaller doves around the magnet instead of the one large dove. This would be in keeping with the story and give it a better appearance.

Team Sand Dollar

Just an opinion.

zinc coins are very light and feel really cheap to me.

I hope your not disappointed with the quality once received.

I would generally agree with this and was going with brass when the coins were to be 3mm. When the coins wnet to 5mm the extra cost and weight per coin made going to a zinc-alloy coin the simple choice.

Team Sand Dollar

My original estimates where based on producing at least 250 sets of these coins. Based on requests (<30) I do not think this is going to happen.

As it stands right now the estimated cost for this set will be $35 US, $36 Canada, $40 all others. The difference between the US cost and others reflect the additional 1% paypal fee plus additional postage costs.

The postage is based on an 8oz package so if the weight does come in less I will reflect this in the price. This especially holds true non US and Canada packages since the cost $.90 per oz.

If you have previously expressed interest in this set but are no longer interested because of cost that is not a problem. Please let me know so I can update my list.

I will continue to accept requests for this set up until one week after I receive the proof coins at which time I will put in the order for this coin.

Team Sand Dollar

Time for an update on this one.

Still working with the mint and am expecting new artwork soon. Will post the new artwork when I get it.

Looks like I will be able to get the base coin back down to 3.5mm and with a bronze base. Also replaced the one big dove with 5 smaller dove that go around the magnet.

Waiting on final quote from the mint to resolve final price on this one but it will also be effected by the number of preorders.

Team Sand Dollar