Instant Notifications via cell phone text messaging.

treasure_hunter

If your cache mails go to a Gmail account, then many phones can accommodate the Gmail java application. Even my modest Nokia 6230 can do it. Now that is smooth.

The lure isn't to have to poll to see if there are any new caches. It's to have them beep you if there is a new one. Since there hasn't been any response, I think I may just go the parsing route for now as well. About 15% of the time, I don't even get the entire waypoint, which makes the msg completely useless.

For now, you can try setting up a basic forward so you at least you know you have "something" in your mailbox, and then use mail2wap.com on your phone to go and read the mail when it arrives. mail2wap.com is not the smoothest system in the world (especially for replying), but it's serviceable and free.

If your cache mails go to a Gmail account, then many phones can accommodate the Gmail java application. Even my modest Nokia 6230 can do it. Now that is smooth.

Actually, If you goto your Cel provider, you can find out your Cel phones SMS Email address from them. Then In Insta Notifications, set the E-mail to address as you phones address...(usually something like 1234567890@cingularME.com). Of course, you'll get 6 or 7 messages per 1 e-mail sent. What we're trying to get here is a way to check a box and get a Shortened message to your e-mail address.

I.E. :

(GC11BGN) Ring the Bell is PUBLISHED

D/T:1/1.5

E 3.7mi

See more <link>http://wap.geocaching.com/</link>

On that link, it goes to the WAP related cache page.

Any other questions??

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

Let's stay on topic. The SMS feature is not an option for the original user as stated in the original post, nor most of the rest of us due to character limitation.

This would be an excellent feature. I am a Treo user so get my email on my phone anyway, however having it come SMS would be nice since I ignore my email "beeps" until I have time to actually stop and read them.

I will risk the occasional fender bender or lost customer for a cache notification. :)

Actually, If you goto your Cel provider, you can find out your Cel phones SMS Email address from them. Then In Insta Notifications, set the E-mail to address as you phones address...(usually something like 1234567890@cingularME.com). Of course, you'll get 6 or 7 messages per 1 e-mail sent. What we're trying to get here is a way to check a box and get a Shortened message to your e-mail address.

If you're using cingular (AT&T) you can also use the "phonenumber@mms.mycingular.com" to get everything in one message.

What does that mean? If some people see coordinates, they have no choice, but to visit the location without checking the internet first and seeing if there are important messages?

I frequently load a PQ and start the search for a cache before reading any of the description at all.

Edited by wesleykey
What does that mean? If some people see coordinates, they have no choice, but to visit the location without checking the internet first and seeing if there are important messages?

I frequently load a PQ and start the search for a cache before reading any of the description at all.

Well.. Everyone has the choice to look at the webpage.. Some people will, and others won't. Its that simple.

The Steaks

not exaclty within the subject, but in the same area... why do we need to set up notifications for each cache type? wouldn't it be much easier if there were a notification setup for "ALL" cache types? ok some people may prefer different notifications for different cache types, so i don't mind the option to chose individual notifications - but for me it would just be easier to set ONE notification for all types.

what do others think?

for the shortened mail feature, with wap link - i also think that would be a nice thing to have.

coords or not - i assume they wouldn't put coors in (because of obvious reasons), which would be ok for me (even though i'm also somebody who sometimes starts a search before reading the cache page).

cheers from UK

GC(XXXX) "Cache Name" was published on.

07/29/07 Distance 1.2mi

(N37 14.234 W 86 10.352) <-- "Possibly coordinates pending the 160 character limit, this is not a necessity. It would just be something extra."

I vote for having the coordinates in the text! That way if I have my gps but don't have access to a computer, I might still have a chance! (I don't pay for WAP access on my phone, though it is capable).

Why not add the disclaimer that when you sign up to get the coords, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN PERIL!!! and Groundspeak is not responsible :)

Has this ever been resolved? I've seen much talk here about such a feature (compact text message) and am 100% for it to happen. I just don't see any posts that indicate that it will happen (or why not). The least complicated approach to cell phone notification would be via a text message but that charges Groundspeak also (not a cheap thing!). Next best solution would be a shortened email that could be forwarded via xxxxxxxxxxx@vtext (for Verizon).

I vote for the following format:

07/29/07 Distance 1.2mi

(N37 14.234 W 86 10.352)

That's 140 characters (varies by "Cache Name" length) and somewhat by the coordinates.

Just curious as to status.

07/29/07 Distance 1.2mi

(N37 14.234 W 86 10.352)

I like the general idea, but I think there are some wasted characters in there. Having said that, I would also like to see the cache type:

GCXXXX: Cache Name

Traditional, Small, 2.5/2.5

100.2mi SE

N37 14.234 W 86 10.352

I believe a maximum of 60 characters would be used for the non-cache name details (I used the longest combinations I could think of), leaving 80 characters for the name (should be long enough, but perhaps it should be coded to truncate at 80 to be sure). IMHO, the publish date isn't important, nor is the website. I have wap.geocaching.com in my mobile bookmarks, as I suspect most FTF hounds would. As long as I have the container size, the difficulty, and of course the coords, I would have an idea of what I was looking for.

Others had suggested the above format. I can even see more character savings using codes for the Type and Size (i.e TS would = Traditional Small)

Otherwise, your format is perfect. If there was enough space left, I'd add the decoded hint (truncated if necessary). I'm not even sure my current phone would support the hotlink to "wap" anyway (different issue as "wap" doesn't seem to work on Motorala Razr V3M with Verizon - different thread). I just want enough info to go to GZ upon getting the text message without spending time looking up the cache page for all the other info. The cachers around here are fanatics about FTFs and every minute counts!!!

Hope the Powers That Be can do this.

If there was enough space left, I'd add the decoded hint (truncated if necessary).

It would be nice if this could be an option (perhaps put an "Include Decoded Hint?" checkbox on the notification page. For FTFs it might be nice to have, but for some may still prefer not to include the hint in the notification.

Several things:

1) I agree with the OP and people who would like to see this feature implemented.

2) I would not hold my breath on it being implemented anytime soon. I have seen requests for this multiple times, and nothing has ever been done to fix it. Also, gs.com doesn't make many changes on a moment's notice - as easy as some things appear to be to people to fix (change a line of code here or there), often they make it out to be much more complicated. A good example of this was removing "view archived caches" from the google maps. The outcry against that was loud, and gs.com listened, indicating they would put it back. But they still haven't. This was several months ago, if I remember correctly.

3) I would also not hold my breath waiting for TPTB to reply or post in this forum. As I mentioned, it has been discussed before. I just wish they were more responsive to user requests, but that has always been a an issue - they have their priorities. Maybe it will be implemented in 2.0.

4) For verizon customers, you can have a MMS message sent to your phone (1000 character limit) by having it sent to yourphonenumber@vzwpix.com - I tried it, forwarding a notification email, and it worked just fine - I got the entire email. Quick work-around, but I would still like to see the shorter SMS format with coords - notification emails don't have coords.

Thanks for the @vzwpix.com info. I hadn't found that one yet. Yes, it works much better than the other (vtext.com) as I do get the whole message. It's definately a start (any idea if it costs???? - guess I'll find out!!!). The links in it aren't hotlinks so it's a real pain to use mobile web but it does notify me. The old one didn't even get so far as telling me how far away the cache is or even the GC number!

Still would like the short version but the higher priority would be the coordinates. Wouldn't need a "real" computer to head out for a FTF!

Thanks for the @vzwpix.com info. I hadn't found that one yet. Yes, it works much better than the other (vtext.com) as I do get the whole message. It's definately a start (any idea if it costs???? - guess I'll find out!!!). The links in it aren't hotlinks so it's a real pain to use mobile web but it does notify me. The old one didn't even get so far as telling me how far away the cache is or even the GC number!

Still would like the short version but the higher priority would be the coordinates. Wouldn't need a "real" computer to head out for a FTF!

I have a palm treo, and they do come up as hotlinks. As for cost, if you have unlimited messaging, it would be free beyond the monthly cost - just make sure it includes pic/video messaging.

I don't pay for the Internet servic on my phone since I'm added onto my son's service so I opted to get a text message from my ISP. I set up a notice so that, whenever I get an email containing the word "published" in the title I get a text message. Unfortunately, it only tells me a cache named xxxxxx has been published. I have to get to a computer for more info. However, it has led to several FTF recently including #150 last night.

[EDIT]

Question: On the notification page there is a box for "other" email address and it says to leave blank if using the email registered with the system. If you put in another email address in the box does it ONLY go to that address or will it go to BOTH addresses?

Edited by Thrak

The notification option to send to an alternate e-mail address will only go to that address, not both. I'm setting my "New Traditional" to my xxxxxxxxxx.vzwpic.com address for a test of this. It'll cost me .25 for each I receive. A bulk package for me is $10/mo so the breakeven is 40 messages. Will see what traffic occurs. I'll have the GC number so I can use home PC to look up the details (incl. coordinates). Still wish it would include the coordinates in the notice so I could go immediately even if on the road. Will have to wait and see......

Yes, I have tried the wap site but it doesn't seem to work on my Verizon Motorola Razr v3m phone. It's being addressed on the other forum (the pinned one at Groundspeak). If that would work, I'd have that access. But it would be even more cumbersome since I'd have to make note of the GC number and then access the web (more cost too). The most streamlined would be to have the coords in the notice (one single step - notice to GPS and go. Of course, we want everything NOW these days.

I say, we first ask to have the alerts shortened enough so that they will fit into 1 text message. 160 characters.

I don't want to push the staff to put the coordinates in them "yet". That may be a future add-on. I think the main thing is to just make the alerts fit in 1 message. I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying we need to do 1 thing at a time.

I think you have the right idea and I have also done some work with SMS messaging.

The advantage of making a 160 character (max) message available is that it it doesn't require setting up an SMS gateway service to actually deliver the messages via SMS. There are lots of bulk SMS services available but they're not free and setting up a reliable SMS gateway is not trivial. There are however lots of free subscription based SMS to Email services. Essentially when you register for the service you provide your cell phone number and you get an email address. When someone sends email to that address the service converts it to an SMS message and sends it to the phone number provided. There is no cost to the sender of the email address. I developed a very heavily user subscription based report delivery service for a well known federal government agency and have seen several subscribers that have set their email address to an "sms" address even thought the content is often much larger than 160 characters.

I like the idea of be able to choose the notification format. Ideally I would like to be able to provide a "mobile email address" in addition to a general email address. and have the notifications sent to both. The one sent to the mobile address could have the wap.geocaching.com link (with attributes such that it goes directly to the cache listing) while the notification for the main address would have the links to the main site.

It's the "download the cache page and parse it" part that's the problem.

While it doesn't specifically meet he definition of "download the cache page and parse it" there are GSAK macros which will grab the gpx for a cache and parse information from it. For example, the AddLogs macro looks up a waypoint ID and adds all of the logs (more than the 5 that are included by default) the the GSAK database so that you can get accurate "Finder" information when using the FindGenStat macro.

I can see where "ertyu" is going with this. I've written applications in the past that essentially back an email address with an application which parses the contents. Parsing the contents (basically pattern matching strings in the message headers or body) is pretty easy. Scripting in a login might be a bit more difficult.

Doing something like this for personal use is one thing but I think that Groundspeak would certainly object if it were provided as a service to other geocachers (especially if it was done commercially).

I am glad I found this thread. I was think about how this could be done the other day. Wap access is very expensive in Canada, but txt messaging is relatively inexpensive.

GCXXXX: Cache Name

Traditional, Small, 2.5/2.5

100.2mi SE

N37 14.234 W 86 10.352

Seems like the best format.