Instant Notifications via cell phone text messaging.

treasure_hunter

I recently purchased text messaging on my cell phone. I get a limit of 200 messages per month. (Overage = .10 per recieve .05 per sent).

I got the notification set up through my profile, but there is one problem.

The notifications come via "email" to my text messaging system on my phone. These alerts are so long, I sometimes get 1/4 1/5 per listing published. This really eats away my allotted messages. I was wondering if there was any way to either shorten those messages up a little, or simply create a feature for recieving notifications via Text messages besides email??

I am afraid I am going to have to disable the notifications if I keep getting so many messages. At first I had the radius set to 40 miles, I have now lowered that to 25. That is pretty much the maximum distance I would travel to attempt a FTF.

Is there any hope of having the messages shortened? Or possibly another add-on feature just for text messages??

Thanks,

treasure_hunter

There's a reason why you can get e-mail notifications more or less for free - because they don't cost anything to send.

If Groundspeak were to put in place a server to send these out, they would have to charge your account by the item, or go bust.

One possibility might be to ask for a new feature of a "text-friendly notification e-mail". This would be a super-stripped-down notification mail without padding like "This is an automated mail from Geocaching", etc. You could then opt for this in your profile ("Send me really short cryptic e-mails, they're going to be sent on to my phone").

I use AOL which provides email alerts to my phone for free. Set it up to only forward alerts from emails that are sent from gc.com and that have "published" in the subject line. I don't get the whole email using this method, only that i received a "new cache published" email from gc.com. I then can look the new cache up on the nearest computer. :o

I use AOL which provides email alerts to my phone for free. Set it up to only forward alerts from emails that are sent from gc.com and that have "published" in the subject line. I don't get the whole email using this method, only that i received a "new cache published" email from gc.com. I then can look the new cache up on the nearest computer. :o

As long as you have the GCxxxxx number, you can look up everything else from your phone at wap.geocaching.com.

I use AOL which provides email alerts to my phone for free. Set it up to only forward alerts from emails that are sent from gc.com and that have "published" in the subject line. I don't get the whole email using this method, only that i received a "new cache published" email from gc.com. I then can look the new cache up on the nearest computer. :)

As long as you have the GCxxxxx number, you can look up everything else from your phone at wap.geocaching.com.

So way cool. Didn't know there was a cell phone friendly gc.com address. Thank you so much sTeamTraen. :lol:

And please put in the coordinates to the cache.

I would change to it just because the current emails are bloated and annoying.

Say "Cache Name" by "Owner" Was Published on "Date."

Size: Difficulty: Terrain:

"Coordinates"

"Encrypted Hint"

I like the idea of a truncated notification, but I'd hesitate at including the coordinates. My reasoning is:

1) If you don't also have the description, you might go off for the FtF and miss out on the "Warning: Approach this cache from the east as there's an attack cow training center to the west!" (or something not quite as silly, but equally important.)

2) If the owner does one of the "Get cache approved first, place cache later" maneuvers, you might miss out on the listing getting disabled right after the approval.

I'd like a truncated listing with the name, GCID, hider, type, size, and terrain/difficulty. With that info, I can see if I'd be interested in going after it, but would still have to look up the cache page first.

"One possibility might be to ask for a new feature of a "text-friendly notification e-mail". This would be a super-stripped-down notification mail without padding like "This is an automated mail from Geocaching", etc. You could then opt for this in your profile ("Send me really short cryptic e-mails, they're going to be sent on to my phone")."

I like this idea, lets work to see if we can't make this a reality!

Reading everything here too, I see another feature that is Really nice to have.

Maybe something as simple as this:

You check the box after Enable Notifications "To SMS"(Short Message Service)*Or in other words Shrink the message*

(GC11BGN) Ring the Bell is PUBLISHED

D/T:1/1.5

E 3.7mi

See more <link>http://wap.geocaching.com/</link>

On that link, it goes to the WAP related cache page.

For this, it would be under the 180 letter Max for most Cel phone SMS services. Yes, each person would have to out their own SMS E-mail address.

Does this sound good to everyone involved?

The Steaks

Reading everything here too, I see another feature that is Really nice to have.

Maybe something as simple as this:

You check the box after Enable Notifications "To SMS"(Short Message Service)*Or in other words Shrink the message*

(GC11BGN) Ring the Bell is PUBLISHED

D/T:1/1.5

E 3.7mi

On that link, it goes to the WAP related cache page.

For this, it would be under the 180 letter Max for most Cel phone SMS services. Yes, each person would have to out their own SMS E-mail address.

Does this sound good to everyone involved?

The Steaks

I think you pretty much nailed the solution on the head.

I mean, just as long as it's under 160 characters.

Could we possibly even do without sending which reviewer published the cache? .. It's just a thought, I mean, I'm all about giving them their deserved credit. However, you do see the reviewers name on the cache page when you go to log it.

ex.

GC(XXXX) "Cache Name" was published on.

07/29/07 Distance 1.2mi

(N37 14.234 W 86 10.352) <-- "Possibly coordinates pending the 160 character limit, this is not a necessity. It would just be something extra."

Could we possibly even do without sending which reviewer published the cache? .. It's just a thought, I mean, I'm all about giving them their deserved credit. However, you do see the reviewers name on the cache page when you go to log it.

ex.

07/29/07 Distance 1.2mi

(N37 14.234 W 86 10.352) <-- "Possibly coordinates pending the 160 character limit, this is not a necessity. It would just be something extra."

Looks good to me. I think Groundspeak won't put the coords, because your Supposed to check the site and read the description.. the whole "Don't come from the East. There is a Cliff that is not mentioned Anywhere thats 140 ft tall and the cache is at the TOP of the cliff...(Or Bottom...)

Your right, I understand. I don't think you should include the coordinates for safety reasons, along with others. Anyways, that would just be that much more saved space.

So, where are the moderators? Any chance we could have this feature altered?

I sent off an email to the big man himself yesterday. Lets Hope at least you and I see this in our profiles as test subjects. Wouldn't that be nice. Become guinea pigs for new things at Groundspeak. That'd be nice.

Ohh and on another note... This is my 100th post to the forums...!

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

I use AOL which provides email alerts to my phone for free. Set it up to only forward alerts from emails that are sent from gc.com and that have "published" in the subject line. I don't get the whole email using this method, only that i received a "new cache published" email from gc.com. I then can look the new cache up on the nearest computer. <_<

Do you have to have internet access on your phone to use this? This isn't an option for me is so.

I use AOL which provides email alerts to my phone for free. Set it up to only forward alerts from emails that are sent from gc.com and that have "published" in the subject line. I don't get the whole email using this method, only that i received a "new cache published" email from gc.com. I then can look the new cache up on the nearest computer. <_<

Do you have to have internet access on your phone to use this? This isn't an option for me is so.

Actually, If your phone was new within the last 2 1/2 Years, it is avaliable. Of course, you may have to pay a little more for it, but I find its Well worth it. Especially when you look for a cache and realize your Palm dosen't have the information in it, or when out for a FTF Hunt...

The Steaks

I sent off an email to the big man himself yesterday. Lets Hope at least you and I see this in our profiles as test subjects. Wouldn't that be nice. Become guinea pigs for new things at Groundspeak. That'd be nice.

The Steaks

I hope that we can have it altered.

I would be willing to be the test subject! lol

btw congrats on the #100 :)

07/29/07 Distance 1.2mi

I vote for having the coordinates in the text! That way if I have my gps but don't have access to a computer, I might still have a chance! (I don't pay for WAP access on my phone, though it is capable).

I think I am going to have to agree with the OP, this may not be the best idea. In case you have to read the cache page for some important message, etc. I mean, I could go either way. It doesn't matter to me.

All I ask is that there be a text friendly alert added. That fits in the 160 character limit. As for the coordinates in the text, it's not a must, but would be a luxury.

In case you have to read the cache page for some important message, etc.

I'd like to be able to make that judgment call... If I'm at lunch with the GPS in the car and a cache gets published across the street, it'd be worth the try (to me) to see if I could find it without reading the description. Sometimes, I might get stumped by a puzzle cache or only parking coords or something, but sometimes, it'd be an FTF :D I think it wouldn't overload the character limit and could fit well within an SMS alert.

In case you have to read the cache page for some important message, etc.

I'd like to be able to make that judgment call... If I'm at lunch with the GPS in the car and a cache gets published across the street, it'd be worth the try (to me) to see if I could find it without reading the description. Sometimes, I might get stumped by a puzzle cache or only parking coords or something, but sometimes, it'd be an FTF :laughing: I think it wouldn't overload the character limit and could fit well within an SMS alert.

I do realize that You may be able to make that judgement call, BUT not everyone will.

I do realize that You may be able to make that judgement call, BUT not everyone will.

What does that mean? If some people see coordinates, they have no choice, but to visit the location without checking the internet first and seeing if there are important messages?

I'm just saying, if there is a way to make them fit, why not have them? Those that want to use the coordinates blindly can, and those that don't, can ignore them...

Edited by PilotMike

I say, we first ask to have the alerts shortened enough so that they will fit into 1 text message. 160 characters.

I don't want to push the staff to put the coordinates in them "yet". That may be a future add-on. I think the main thing is to just make the alerts fit in 1 message. I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying we need to do 1 thing at a time.

What does that mean? If some people see coordinates, they have no choice, but to visit the location without checking the internet first and seeing if there are important messages?

I'm just saying, if there is a way to make them fit, why not have them? Those that want to use the coordinates blindly can, and those that don't, can ignore them...

TPTB have repeatedly held the position that they want people to visit the cache page before they go searching for a cache. How much information a person looks at before they go searching obviously will vary, but at least they have had to look at in some way.

So I would not hold my breath waiting for the coordinates to be in the notifications.

I do realize that there are STILL phones out there that doesn't have access to the internet, But it is Your responsability to check the website. Do realize, ANY PHONE made in the last 2-3 Years Does get the internet on it. If you have questions, contact the phone's manufacturer or your local wireless store.

This is why Groundspeak will probably NEVER give us the coords via TXT Message(or e-mail notification)

The Steaks

Just because he hasn't responded in this particular thread doesn't mean that it hasn't been asked and answered before. Repeatedly. You just seem to keep missing that part.

No, I know what I am talking about, and I have searched this topic before.

It seems that you haven't done your homework and seen that everybody else who has posted a topic similar to this one are asking for coordinates to be added to the notifications.

I do believe the OT was to get the notifications shortened so that they fit into the 160 character limit on most phones with texting capabilities. I see no threads with answers to this topic. If I am missing something, do let me know.

I jumped on Clayjars chat this evening, and there were 6 people who responded to my question "Would shortened notifications be useful?" 2 just recieve it via e-mail, 3 said Yes, and 1 said they get it via his blackberry(I'm assuming its also via e-mail).

I jumped on Clayjars chat this evening, and there were 6 people who responded to my question "Would shortened notifications be useful?" 2 just recieve it via e-mail, 3 said Yes, and 1 said they get it via his blackberry(I'm assuming its also via e-mail).

I've almost got enough motivation to write a parser. Grab the notification email, parse it, download the cache page, parse it, create a new email with all the pertinent info and send it along to my phone.

I've almost got enough motivation to write a parser. Grab the notification email, parse it, download the cache page, parse it, create a new email with all the pertinent info and send it along to my phone.

I have no idea how a parser works (or really what that means) but sign me up, if you do it :(

I'm sure that'd be a violation of the Groundspeak TOS... Not sure exactly how it works, but if it goes out and automatically grabbs info off the geocaching.com site in any way, its a Clear Violation. Sorry.

That is Why we are trying to give this more attention. So that people don't go out and try the reach around approach. It usually ends up BAD for all involved. We're trying to get Groundspeak to add this as a feature for Premium members.

The steaks

I'm sure that'd be a violation of the Groundspeak TOS... Not sure exactly how it works, but if it goes out and automatically grabs info off the geocaching.com site in any way, its a Clear Violation. Sorry.

What's wrong with grabbing the notification email that they've already sent? At that point, it's an email in your inbox...

"One possibility might be to ask for a new feature of a "text-friendly notification e-mail". This would be a super-stripped-down notification mail without padding like "This is an automated mail from Geocaching", etc. You could then opt for this in your profile ("Send me really short cryptic e-mails, they're going to be sent on to my phone")."

I like this idea, lets work to see if we can't make this a reality!

I agree with this idea.

The first cell phone I ever had had text messaging. You had the ability to send an email to a specific address and it would be received as message on the phone.

SPAM may have eliminated that as a viable option.

That would be a good thing. I mean, just last week I was in Nashville, I got 32 messages for 8 new caches. I mean seriously, with a new event coming up in my area, Im thinking I may have to disable my notifications until the event so that I still have some for all the new caches.

The first cell phone I ever had had text messaging. You had the ability to send an email to a specific address and it would be received as message on the phone.

As I have said WAY earlier, If you contact your carrier, Each Cel-phone does have its own dedicated e-mail address for recieveing incoming e-mail.

The Steaks

As I have said WAY earlier, If you contact your carrier, Each Cel-phone does have its own dedicated e-mail address for recieveing incoming e-mail.

The Steaks

As stated by the OP, this is not a viable solution due to the character limit in text messenging whether it comes via email or not.

Either a text messenging option or modifying the email would be great.

The Steaks

As stated by the OP, this is not a viable solution due to the character limit in text messenging whether it comes via email or not.

Either a text messenging option or modifying the email would be great.

I stated this to tell him how to get them on his phone. For now, all of us will get 5 or 6 messages for each cache posted until this thread is implimented by GC.com. I can't wait!!!

The Steaks

Your right, I understand. I don't think you should include the coordinates for safety reasons, along with others. Anyways, that would just be that much more saved space.

The Steaks

Have you heard anything back from your email??

The Steaks

Have you heard anything back from your email??

Not yet... Suprisingly. This is Frustrating!

The Steaks

For now, you can try setting up a basic forward so you at least you know you have "something" in your mailbox, and then use mail2wap.com on your phone to go and read the mail when it arrives. mail2wap.com is not the smoothest system in the world (especially for replying), but it's serviceable and free.

If your cache mails go to a Gmail account, then many phones can accommodate the Gmail java application. Even my modest Nokia 6230 can do it. Now that is smooth.