Science Museum demonstration of Geocaching

The Science Museum has an "outstation" near Swindon which is holding the "Festival of the Future" on Sunday 26th August (also Saturday but without the caching component). This outstation is used to store the larger Science Museum exhibits, such as aircraft and vehicles, details of their collections are here. The collections aren't usually open to visitors but will be on this date.

The Science Museum have asked if cachers would be willing to demo geocaching to visitors at the Festival, and I plan to set up some one day demo caches to enable this to happen. I am looking for volunteers to help with demonstrating caches and speaking to visitors on a Geocaching stand. Does anyone have any display boards which may be suitable for this?

I have provisional agreement from both the Science Museum and Geocaching.com for a geocaching event to be held at the same location, open to all whether helping or not. This will run from 10am Sunday 26/8. I intend to place a new permanent cache outside the boundary of the Museum (but on land belonging to the Museum, with their permission).

The Festival is free and the the location of the Wrougton Science Museum near Swindon is here.

The Science Museum have also kindly offered free camping facilities (field, toilets) for anyone who would like to camp there on the Saturday night 25/8.

Thanks for several mails already expressing interest in this. Here is some more information as requested.

The stand at the Festival will have display boards including a GPS one from the science Museum, some caching tiems on the table such as example caches, some old log books (if you've visited one of my older caches then you may be included here) and various caching display items. If anyone has the Travel Bugs display boards available (what happened to those?), they would be great. There will be an internet connected computer on the stand and they plan to have their new WiMax service up by then, which will be free to use for anyone who is WiFi equipped.

If we can find some volunteer guides, the intention is to let visitors try caching on some temporary caches near the festival. Visitors will go out in small groups with volunteers, so that the volunteer can demo with their GPS and help the visitors find our temporary on-site caches. These temporary caches will be initially stocked with Science Museum small goodies, plus a logbook.

Would be happy to offer any help. Have laptop/GSAK/Memory Map/PDA - Mio P550/Garmin VistaC and fully conversant with all!!

Can probaby lay my hands on a video projector if that would be of use for demo'ing stuff.

Chris and Lucilla

...sounds like you are the Science Museum.....will you be holding a special presentation on getting memory map to show all different cache icons linked to the HTML pages on the PDA?

Would be happy to offer any help. Have laptop/GSAK/Memory Map/PDA - Mio P550/Garmin VistaC and fully conversant with all!!

Can probaby lay my hands on a video projector if that would be of use for demo'ing stuff.

Chris and Lucilla

...sounds like you are the Science Museum.....will you be holding a special presentation on getting memory map to show all different cache icons linked to the HTML pages on the PDA?

Hey.. I spent SO long getting it all to work that I reckon I do know what it all does now... that is until my laptop hard drive goes again and I lose all those critical files and have to start again!!

Start again... I really don't want to think about that!

Chris

I'd like to get a rough idea of numbers the week before (in case of having to ring round in panic)! However, I understand that people will drop in and out so this is just an indication of whether this will be a demo with guides or whether it's just me on a stand describing what good fun caching is, if they could only try it <_<

Thanks for the offers of help so far, everyone is welcome to bring coins/caches/applications that they would be willing to show/demo. Since there have been several offers of demos of various types, it would be great to have these demos for the cachers regardless of the visitors!

I'd like to get a rough idea of numbers the week before (in case of having to ring round in panic)! However, I understand that people will drop in and out so this is just an indication of whether this will be a demo with guides or whether it's just me on a stand describing what good fun caching is, if they could only try it :)

Thanks for the offers of help so far, everyone is welcome to bring coins/caches/applications that they would be willing to show/demo. Since there have been several offers of demos of various types, it would be great to have these demos for the cachers regardless of the visitors!

I am pretty sure I can make it

I can bring a WiFi laptop (with GSAK/Memory Map)/PDA(old and basic with cachemate)/PDA(new WiFi and shiny with memory map :P /GPS plus geocoins etc

Do I need to bring anything else?

Are there any handouts etc you'd like printed on a colour laser printer or photocopied?

Should be fun

Please contact me if you would like camping facilities for this event. At the moment I've only got:

- Third Degree Witch

- Morgan Mob

Camping facilities are free.

Thanks.

Yes please :):)

OK, will do.

We've been there today and placed a couple of new caches to go live for the event. It's a fantastic place, the views are amazing. On the other hand, you need a windproof coat.

if it's windy when you're camping there then you'll need storm straps.

We've been there today and placed a couple of new caches to go live for the event. It's a fantastic place, the views are amazing. On the other hand, you need a windproof coat.

if it's windy when you're camping there then you'll need storm straps.

Which is why it is/was the venue of the Swindon Kite Festival. Fantastic powerkiting site, especially with the runways.

Many a happy day spent being dragged around the place :)

- Neil.

In answer to a question, dogs are permitted on leads.

If you would like camping faciltiies on the Saturday night (NOT Sunday) then please let me have REAL names, car reg, and number of people.

Note that the Festival of the Future is on Saturday and Sunday, although the caching event / demo is Sunday only.