Another "What Is It"

South Lyon Trekkers

I found three of these in Parma, Michigan. One was not bolted closed so I could see inside. All three were marked with witness posts indicating they were survey markers. The cover indicated they were monitoring wells. Are they are form of survey marker?

(I'm trying to upload a picture.)

(Is there a way beside linking it?)

Edited by southlyontrekkers

I found three of these in Parma, Michigan. One was not bolted closed so I could see inside. All three were marked with witness posts indicating they were survey markers. The cover indicated they were monitoring wells. Are they are form of survey marker?

(I'm trying to upload a picture.)

(Is there a way beside linking it?)

Often Monitoring wells are installed with an associated benchmark so you can tell the depth to groundwater if it's needed.

A lot of new installations that have the potential to cause pollution (even if they haven't) are required to be installed with monitoring wells so that if they do cause a problme it can be found much sooner than the old days. Early discovery makes for much easier clean up.

New Gas stations with their underground gas tanks normally have them. I've also seen them installed in storm drainage systems to monitor the build up of sediments so you can tell when the drainfield is about to fail. There are probably other applications.

Oh and I should not forget, sometimes they are there to monitor existing groundwater pollution problems.