Is it possible to go paperless without a pocket pc?

johnnyyork

I want to stop printing out cache pages. I'm unfamilar with pocket queries, and was wondering if there is a way to download descriptions and hints to my Garmin unit....or must I have a Pocket PC???

Thanks everyone

Just get a cheap Palm from eBay. You can get one VERY inexpensively.

I want to stop printing out cache pages. I'm unfamilar with pocket queries, and was wondering if there is a way to download descriptions and hints to my Garmin unit....or must I have a Pocket PC???

Thanks everyone

Looking for the reason why I need one???

Using GSAK and depending on your unit, you can send the name, difficulty, terrain, and container type to your unit. Getting the hint there as well may be problematic. You will likely be limited as to the amount of text the unit will accept. Mine (GPSM 76CSx) can only accept a limited amount. If the cache name is long then it might not even fit, let alone the other information.

Using a Palm or other device you can load ALL of the information from the cache page, - including the name, container type, difficulty, terrain, description, a certain number of previous logs, the hint, etc.

You can get a Palm M500, like the one I have been using for more than five years (2 1/2 years for Geocaching), for less than the price of one printer cartridge for your printer. :mad:

Coupled with a Premium Membership, which is only $3.00 per month ($30.00 for a whole year), which allows you to get Pocket Queries coming into your InBox, and a program such as GSAK on your PC, and Cachemate on your Palm, you can have the descriptions of 1000's of caches without having to print out another cache page . . . unless it is one of those pesky Puzzle caches. <_<

You can get a Palm M500, like the one I have been using for more than five years (2 1/2 years for Geocaching), for less than the price of one printer cartridge for your printer. :mad:

Coupled with a Premium Membership, which is only $3.00 per month ($30.00 for a whole year), which allows you to get Pocket Queries coming into your InBox, and a program such as GSAK on your PC, and Cachemate on your Palm, you can have the descriptions of 1000's of caches without having to print out another cache page . . . unless it is one of those pesky Puzzle caches. <_<

I agree with getting a cheap unit. I've broken 2 in the field so far. Even with a hard case if you put it in your back pocket and then forget and sit on a lumpy rock you'll hear a horrible crunching sound....... I just keep getting another cheap unit.

We go paperless without a PDA.... hubby takes his laptop everywhere he goes so we've always got caches loaded... we just read up the description before we head out. If it seems to be very far off trail or even in the woods after dark, I stay in the truck due to physical limitations, so if he wants the hint or any additional info, he calls me on his cell to get the additional info.

Angie

FamilyMac Matriarch

Thanks everyone

Looking for the reason why I need one???

Thanks for the follow up!!

I have heard you can do it with an ipod or PSP also.

I would love for someone to explain how to do it with an iPod. I heard that as well in a different thrread and I don't think the person who said it ever explained it

Paperless Caching with an iPod - a flash-based video tutorial by Xangxa

gracias. I'll have to watch when i get home since my work computer doesnt have flash.

Neat...I hope it works out...I have an ipod, so If this works, I don't have to buy a PDA....and I can listen to Guns 'n' Roses while I cache!

Thanks everyone

If you have a Garmin X series gps, you can use GSAK and the macro found here to output cache hints and child waypoints to custom POI.