Steganography

We had a cache our way that used this technique in the clue - I recall I just googled and found something that got the info. Only I do recall was my anti virus software went mental when I installed the program!! Not knowing enough about the technique I was very wary about it. But I did get the clue - I eventually I used a PC that I could easily 'rebuild' if the worst happened - which it didn't!

Chris

The cache mentioned above is Steganocache, which gives some hints of where to go. This was one of my first caches and if they were all as good as this the whole world would be hooked on Geocaching. :rolleyes: Funnily enough I revisited steganography only a couple of days ago and found this page was quite useful.

Brilliant idea for a puzzle cache. :P

Edited by SidAndBob

Anybody point me in the direction of some good (FREE) software for extracting the said onfo.

I've found some analysing software which says there's something in there, I just can't get it out. :mad:

There's no standard way to do it. You have to find out which program the puzzle creator used, and decode with the same one.

A year or so ago a steganography-based cache appeared near me and I downloaded over 20 wrong pieces of software before the cache owner gave a hint as to the name of the program to use. <_< Given the current state of the guidelines I'd be surprised if this sort of cache could be published today.

Edited by sTeamTraen

The cache mentioned above is Steganocache, ............. if they were all as good as this the whole world would be hooked on Geocaching. :mad: Brilliant idea for a puzzle cache.

Just looked at 'Steganocache'.....seems a little complicated. I am hooked on geocaching and like puzzles but not ones that give me migraine! <_<

TLHM

This really isn't very complicated as the owner gives out so much information. I recall we had it done in 10 minutes tops, however, there's another cunning twist to this one.

This really isn't very complicated as the owner gives out so much information. I recall we had it done in 10 minutes tops, however, there's another cunning twist to this one.

<_< Yeah, soooo much info :D:mad: ... not

I guess you're just used to these things.

I just had a peek at it, and like most puzzle caches stared blankly at it for a while then shook my head and moved on.

When I'm up and about I think I'll stick to the old trad tupperware. It's not like there's a shortage of caches to choose from these days! :mad:

After a bit of thought I came up with a way doing it without the need to download any software.

I used it in one of my caches as a "back up" clue - and didn't use any software (which would be against the rules anyway, wouldn't it??) - but nobody's needed to access the pic clue yet - or at least admitted to it.

If you google hidden info in jpegs you'll get all the answers you need - and the method of extracting them......

I have recently published one of these Picture Caches.

I too was concerned that finders would have to download some software to solve the puzzle. After a bit of thought I came up with a way doing it without the need to download any software. It has been found a number of times so I guess it works OK.

You either like this sort of thing or you don't. There are a lot of IT literate people in geocaching and that definitely helps. Again, you were very generous with your clues, so I'm not sure about the 4* difficulty. Without the "clue", maybe a 4.5 or 5 though.

Nice one. ;):mad:;)

I too was concerned that finders would have to download some software to solve the puzzle. After a bit of thought I came up with a way doing it without the need to download any software. It has been found a number of times so I guess it works OK.

You either like this sort of thing or you don't. There are a lot of IT literate people in geocaching and that definitely helps. Again, you were very generous with your clues, so I'm not sure about the 4* difficulty. Without the "clue", maybe a 4.5 or 5 though.

Nice one. ;):mad:;)

Puzzle solved in 2 minutes, and added to my homework bookmark list, cheers!

That took me about 30 seconds to crack! :)

Too easy! :unsure:

It's over 50 miles from home so we shan't be doing it anytime soon.

Mark

I like this one - didn't take me long though. It's going on the list to do whenever I make it out that way...

Thanks