test my avator

Planet

To all you newbies.

First, go to your " My Cache Page"

Click on "Change your account information"

Enter your password.

Scroll down to: "Photo (JPG files only)

Choose a photo for yourself. If you haven't uploaded any images yet, you can do so now."

Click on "do so now"

Browse and choose you picture. Resize the picture so it is smaller than 100k.

Upload the picture.

After you upload your picture you log out and log back in.

Then you go back to "My Cache Page" and scroll down to this: Your Avatar Image (JPG files only)

An avatar is a small photo that represents you in the forums.

This image will be resized to 75 pixels wide.

Choose the picture for the avatar, then log out and log back in. Then your avatar will show up.

Logging out and back in is the only way for the change to occur.

UPDATE for new forums: If you make changes to your profile on Geocaching.com, you will need to click on the "discuss geocaching" link on Geocaching.com while logged in for your forum profile to update. This includes avatars, signature lines, titles (for premium members), passwords, and your username. The register link in the forums will also redirect you to the page that updates your profile.

From a former newbie, who went through the same thing.

Cache you later,

Planet

[changed title for all testing]

Edited by Jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

IS "how to change your atavar" in a FAQ somewhere?

if its not, id like to suggest it be considered for addition the next time its updated.

http://brillig.com/geocaching/http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/22008_1700.gif http://www.gpgeocaching.com/

To change it you simply follow the same procedure, you can upload a number of photos, they will be stored and you can change them at will, from a drop down menu on your cache page, I do it all the time. Doesn't seem to bother anyone. You can have a separate photo for yourself on your cache page than the one on you avatar to. That's the one people will see when they visit your profile. You do that where it says this: Photo (JPG files only)

Choose a photo for yourself. If you haven't uploaded any images yet, you can do so now.

Image will be resized to 300 pixels wide.

There are 2 drop down photo menus, one for your photo, and one for you avatar.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

How about we make efforts to keep this thread on top and also use it for further tests. That would help solve the problem of having new test threads pop up every few days!

I'm pretty sure that I started a new test thread when I first encountered the "log out then log back in" problem!

pokeanim3.gif

I didn't realize it cropped... I thought it just resized to a width of 75 pixels. Which, of course, has always made me want to make an avatar that is like 75 pixels wide by 1000 pixels tall. icon_biggrin.gif

But yeah, I agree... the more time you've spent in the forums, the more you glare and grit your teeth when you see ANOTHER test thread start. Or maybe it is just me. icon_smile.gif

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I didn't realize it cropped... I thought it just resized to a width of 75 pixels. Which, of course, has always made me want to make an avatar that is like 75 pixels wide by 1000 pixels tall. icon_biggrin.gif

Well, crop is probly the wrong word, but...

if its not a square, would i just resize it till its >75 wide and still looks right?

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Thanks Planet, wondered how to do it and am going to upload a pic. The one with you with the dayglo orange hat is good lol. But i still would not put it on if you were singing in the woods during hunting season lol. have a good day caching

Altree

(if you have a p38 canopener and a can of food you will never starve)

Altree

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

How about we make efforts to keep this thread on top and also use it for further tests. That would help solve the problem of having new test threads pop up every few days!

I'm pretty sure that I started a new test thread when I first encountered the "log out then log back in" problem!

http://outbreakcorp.hypermart.net/animation/pokemon/pokeanim3.gif

That should revive the thread often enough that it doesn't move off of the first couple of pages.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

quote:
Originally posted by manuelcasi:

If you are testing your avatar here you have to in your post make it clear whether or not it worked. Such as "I guess I still need to work on it" or "ya it worked" The purpose for this is if it did not work and you later LOG OUT AND BACK IN it will work and be there and we can all make fun of you for not doing it wright the first time. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.ManuelCasillas.com

But when it works they will all look the same, so you wont be able to tell which 'test' finally worked. (ie, how many tries it took them)

That and you have to post to see if it DID work so saying "it worked" or "it didnt" couldnt be displayed w/o edits being done....

Really sorry about this....

quote:
Originally posted by Liberto:

Ah forget it....

quote:

Oh....logout and back in. Now I got it.

quote:

I guess this is a good place test my Avatar.

This is where I am.

I work in IT I should be able to do this.

quote:

Really sorry about this....

quote:

Ah forget it....

quote:

Oh....logout and back in. Now I got it.

quote:

I guess this is a good place test my Avatar.

This is where I am.

I know avatar problems have been addressed in the past, I read them all. Yet not one of them gave me the answer I needed. That is why I started a new thread. If you are tired of us clueless newbies you do not have to open anything that has the word avatar in it, right?

quote:
Originally posted by finninfla:

I know avatar problems have been addressed in the past, I read them all. Yet not one of them gave me the answer I needed. That is why I started a new thread. If you are tired of us clueless newbies you do not have to open anything that has the word avatar in it, right?

Thats true, but A) not all threads (even those about avatars) have the "correct" subject line.

And :D its not that we're (or at least me personally) tired of "clueless newbies" its just that we ARE tired of repeating the same answer daily, or at least it seems daily. icon_biggrin.gif

An Avatar may not be that important to Geocaching, but it sure helps in these BBs.

And they look kewl.

quote:
Originally posted by Tahosa:

Duh!! What do I do if I don't know or care what a _AVATAR_ is ??????

I thought you found a Cache using a GPS or or a compass and a map, so how does a _AVATAR_ help you to find Caches.

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.