Abandoned Cache/site

:laughing: When I started geocaching I came across a cache and DNF. I checked the website and saw that it had many DNF. After a few months I hunted again and DNF. I e-mailed the owner a few times with no answer. It has had no activity except DNTs for months. I am doing a series of caches in that area and that site would fit nicely as a location for one in my series. How long does a cache site stay "owned"?

:laughing: When I started geocaching I came across a cache and DNF. I checked the website and saw that it had many DNF. After a few months I hunted again and DNF. I e-mailed the owner a few times with no answer. It has had no activity except DNTs for months. I am doing a series of caches in that area and that site would fit nicely as a location for one in my series. How long does a cache site stay "owned"?

If the last few logs have been DNFs, there have been no finds in months, and there has benn no response from the cache owner (either by email or log on the cache page),,, then go to the cache page and log an SBA. Your reviewer will try to find out what's going on and he or she will probably archive the cache if the owner doesn't respond. This can take a while but it will open the area back up for a new cache if the archival goes through...

I got p'o'd cause a cache my husband wanted to place was at the identical spot that a DNFed one had been for a while. As in, it had been over a year since it was last found.

I emailed the owner and they finally got back to me with a "yes I plan to reactivate it soon" however long soon is...

anyway, we picked up the cache and moved it further away... found a better spot actually.

Log a Should Be Archived, state you reasoning and see if a reviewer will archive the cache. If it is archived the area is free game.

Really? An archived cache is open for other users. So if I archive a cache that got muggled until I repair it it could be taken over?

You've mistaken archived and disabled. In the case you just suggested you would want to disable the cache. Disabling a cache allows the owner the time to make repairs or address any other issues with the cache. Disabling a cache does not open up the area for others to place a cache. Archiving on the other hand means the owner no longer want to maintain the cache or, in your case, the review can archive a cache if the owner is not responding. Archiving opens the area for new caches to be placed.

Edited by bccruiser

Log a Should Be Archived, state you reasoning and see if a reviewer will archive the cache. If it is archived the area is free game.

Really? An archived cache is open for other users. So if I archive a cache that got muggled until I repair it it could be taken over?

Your right. accually I didn't realize the difference. Cool I will have to try that

Also, my understanding is that a cache owner needs to log in at least once a month to show that he/she is still active. If this owner has not even been on the site, in addition to not taking action on this particular site, I'm suret the once you submit the SBA note, it won't take long for the spot to become available.

Also, my understanding is that a cache owner needs to log in at least once a month to show that he/she is still active. If this owner has not even been on the site, in addition to not taking action on this particular site, I'm suret the once you submit the SBA note, it won't take long for the spot to become available.
I thought the 'log in' rule was only to continue to get PQs.

The "login monthly" requirement is unique to virtual and webcam caches, and is found here:

You should also return to the Geocaching.com web site at least once a month to show you are still active. Caches posted and "abandoned" may be archived by the site.

The owner will assume the responsibility of quality control of logged “finds” for the cache, and will agree to delete any “find” logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive the listing. Grandfathered caches may not be unarchived.

These maintenance requirements are different than what's applied to physical caches. The viability of a physical cache is measured by the presence of a useful container as well as the presence of an active owner.

Even with an inactive owner, many reviewers will allow a few weeks for a response when a "needs archived" log is entered on a cache. The owner may be following the logs by e-mail without logging onto the site, they could be logging on under a different account name, a friend or relative could be monitoring the cache, etc. If there is no response then the cache can be archived.

Don't get in a hurry for an archive to happen. The reviewers will proceed out of an abundance of caution. As they should. Life sometimes gets in the way of caching (health, miltary, job, vacations etc). Sometimes can't be helped. They will allow some period of time for the owner (or caretaker) to respond before archiving it away. Have patience - it may happen.

I'm not sure if it varies by reviewer or not but I've noticed one of our local reviewers usually posts a note giving the owner a time frame (either 2 weeks or a month I think) and if they don't hear anything back in that time frame, they'll archive the cache.